Really Confused & A Fresh Rejection.
funding M.A. waiting news accepted semi-official rejected
Yesterday I got the official departmental letter from the MA program I was admitted to. The letter said that the graduate school will be sending out official letters (that include the official funding) in the next two weeks, but what I can expect is this, and all of this is a maybe for right now: tuition + maybe a small stipend for the first year. They don't have their allocation for TAships yet so they didn't include that in their offer for the second year. The second year seems like, judging by their letter, it will be out of pocket (nearly $20k not including living costs), which is simply not possible for me. There are other small funding opportunities that I can apply for for the second year, but the amount would be enough to cover 1 quarter of 4 and that's if I was awarded said funding. The last quarter is usually $200, bringing the cost down to around $10-15k, depending on what funding I would get. I'm really excited about this program - everyone is unbelievably friendly and nice and welcoming. I am worried about the cost, however, and I know that if I accept their offer and go there, that I'll probably be "okay" in the second year; but not knowing certainly isn't assisting me in making a decision.
That being said, it is the only acceptance I've received so far and ... as you're about to find out ... I just got rejected from our "practical top choice," UCSB, which really, really stung. I drove out there, visited the campus, met with my POI and spoke with him for a few hours, learned about the program, signed up for the housing because they have like a year long wait list, etc., etc. We would've been close to family, my husband probably could've kept his job. For all practical purposes, it was the dream program. Academically, it would've been fine, too.
This leaves me with the following:
Accepted: to an MA program that I'm not sure I can afford (although I am so grateful for the funding at all which I know is rare)
Rejected: from two PhD programs (UCSB & Northwestern).
Unofficially rejected: from Emory (I wasn't invited to their interview weekend)
Still need to hear officially from: lots of schools - UVA, Emory, UMD, UDel, UMICH, Williams, UNC, Bryn Mawr, U of Toronto.
Of the schools that I still need to hear from, the following have sent out acceptances:
- UDel (top choice) - sporadic acceptances in Feb. via phone.
- Emory - interview invites
- UVA - a couple sporadic acceptances, 1 for PhD and one (maybe irrelevant) for the MA program
- Williams - sent out acceptances in a big batch last week juding by the GC.
- Bryn Mawr - sent out acceptances in a big batch last week juding by the GC.
- Toronto - sent out acceptances the last week of February via snail mail. I haven't received anything. Probably didn't get in.
Also, UMD historically has sent out all their acceptances in January (for art history). Haven't seen anything this year except for 1 acceptance in February. Not sure if that's good/bad/what.
Based on that, what would y'all say my chances are? It's not looking so good, right? I certainly don't think so, and I feel ... like... crap.