Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)

eagb

Members
  • Content count

    36
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About eagb

  • Rank
    Caffeinated

Profile Information

  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  1. Accepted to Harvard BIG...assumed I wasn't getting in since it's been so long a was waitlisted so already told somewhere else I was coming, so have to think that over. Most likely will not change my decision.
  2. Was awarded it in Life Sciences - Computational Biology/Genomics (I think I indicated this as a 40/60 split) as an undergrad! Very surprised, and definitely didn't expect to hear back today! Scoring was: E/E, E/E, E/E, Awarded
  3. Yeah I definitely didn't lie...these grades weren't out when I applied. Also didn't fail or anything just had too many very hard classes and got A/B/B/B/B+
  4. I've been accepted to my top choice school in the US (a top 5 program) and I have accepted their offer. There were no conditions stated in my letter and the university only says offers are only contingent on "satisfactory undergraduate degree completion". I had a pretty rough senior fall semester (3.25 when overall GPA before that was 3.8), which dropped me to around 3.74, and they didn't see Fall grades when I applied or ask for them. Now I'm in my last semester, and it's off to a rough start due to missing so much class to attend interviews all over the country. I'll probably be able to pull off Bs in all my classes...am I just being paranoid that they would rescind my offer for my grades dropping this last year?
  5. I didn't hear a reply yet, but they said within 1 week which would be a few more days for me (went on a different day because of the snow cancelling flights).
  6. This is definitely false. I interviewed at programs where they interviewed 40+ people for 5-6 spots. Also, there's really no need for hostility. I was interested in them. I had a number one school for academic + personal reasons, I thought it was a reach...didn't even expect an interview. Visited, loved it, knew I would go if I got an offer and I got in. It's not some conspiracy...
  7. It seems like more of a dick move to go fake that I might come, waste their and my time (also miss 8 consecutive school days), and potentially take someone's spot.
  8. Thoughts on canceling upcoming interviews if I got into my first choice and will definitely be attending? Might lose some money, but would be another ~6 school days I'd have to miss...
  9. Accepted to MIT Biology...will very likely be attending. Initially thought CSB would be a better fit, but after interviewing for both, the differences are very subtle between the two and the structure of Bio was a better fit for me.
  10. Ahh good to know. Don't see any results posted yet in the database...gonna assume that maybe they wait since the 2 visits were only 2 weeks apart.
  11. For schools with 2 interview weekends, do most wait until after the second to make offers?
  12. Heard back from JHU CS (Comp Bio concentration)...invited for visit after really great skype interview with a POI
  13. Yikes. I wonder how many they're interviewing. That's a very small program.
  14. For me at least, I definitely over-applied because I didn't really have any idea how competitive I'd be, as I didn't know anyone else who'd gone through this process, at least in this field. So looking back, I wouldn't have applied to 11. Also, the plan was that the interview invites would narrow down my choices a bit...didn't happen. But yes, I can say with confidence that of those 8 interviews (7 schools...applied to 2 departments at one of them) I would be very happy attending 5 of them. The other 2, I would like to visit because I'm not sure. I also think going on the visits might help me decide (I think I know my top school, but what if I visit and realize I don't like the environment, etc). Additionally, once I realized how many invites I was going to receive, I intentionally put off booking flights for these programs, so I wouldn't cost them any money. That's how I've been reasoning through this, at least.