Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Community Status Updates

Photo

<ian>

First result is an acceptance! Feels good to finally be able to add a result to the results page
Yesterday, 11:23 PM
  • theory411's Photo
    theory411
    Congratulations!!!
    Yesterday, 11:36 PM
  • attackonthedoctor's Photo
    attackonthedoctor
    Awesome dude!
    Yesterday, 11:43 PM
  • <ian>'s Photo
    <ian>
    Thanks all, a tiny bit less stressed now. Still pretty stressed though :P
    Today, 12:00 AM
Photo

Eflin

Well one more school to hear from, but based on the results posted so far...I'm not getting in anywhere this year. Time to figure out a Plan B.
Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Photo

LittleDarlings

Had anyone ever done Performance Based Interviewing? I'm freaking out
Yesterday, 10:57 PM
Photo

Cheshire_Cat

Had my lunch stolen from the office fridge. Have officially completed standard office experiences 101. Can I go back to university now?
Yesterday, 05:30 PM
  • autumn's Photo
    autumn
    I HATE that. It happens so often here I bought a mini fridge.
    Yesterday, 08:52 PM
  • Cheshire_Cat's Photo
    Cheshire_Cat
    I don't understand either! It was a frozen dinner though, so they knew they wouldn't get sick.
    Yesterday, 08:53 PM
  • jenste's Photo
    jenste
    I used to have that problem at work. Then one day my boss made a batch of brownies with x-lax inside and left some in her lunch bag. Someone called in sick the next day and lunches never went missing again.
    Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Photo

kurayamino

All of this snow is making me really look forward to UCLA on Sunday. I can't wait to get out of the Northeast!
Yesterday, 04:22 PM
  • Shamrock_Frog's Photo
    Shamrock_Frog
    I'm trading TX for the mid-west! Clearly I'm crazy. Oh well, I can always do a post-doc somewhere warm right?
    Yesterday, 05:25 PM
  • kurayamino's Photo
    kurayamino
    Don't forget about summer research opportunities too shamrock :)

Yesterday, 05:32 PM
  • isilya's Photo
    isilya
    Have fun!! I was at UCLA a week ago and it was absolutely gorgeous!! :)
    Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Photo

ritapita

selfishly wishing it would stop snowing in certain parts of the country so the AdComs can go to work and decide my fate
Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Photo

Shiji E. Moji

That feeling when you only apply to a couple of program(me)s, and they all accept you. What an amazing feeling!
Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Photo

4aces0reilly

mmessage me if u like seltzer ;)
Yesterday, 01:42 AM
Photo

theory411

The best feeling is having one acceptance - because really, that is all you need :-)
Mar 04 2015 10:47 PM
  • TenaciousBushLeaper's Photo
    TenaciousBushLeaper
    apparently, you'll also feel better about that choice, since it is your only choice.

Yesterday, 02:48 AM
  • ahlatsiawa's Photo
    ahlatsiawa
    YES!
    Yesterday, 05:27 AM
  • theory411's Photo
    theory411
    Haha, you are right. No what-ifs, right? :-)
    Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Photo

bgt28

In the web that is my own, I begin again.
Mar 04 2015 07:17 PM
  • youngcharlie101's Photo
    youngcharlie101
    Did you hear back??
    Mar 04 2015 09:59 PM
  • bgt28's Photo
    bgt28
    I've gotten an MA offer from NYU which I'll most likely accept if Yale rejects me, which at this point I'm certain will be the case. :)
    Yesterday, 06:25 PM
Photo

Munashi

Well I'll be damned - we're having a snow day.
Mar 04 2015 05:24 PM
  • ERR_Alpha's Photo
    ERR_Alpha
    Weirdest snow day ever...
    Yesterday, 10:16 PM
  • Munashi's Photo
    Munashi
    Dude, seriously.
    Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Photo

sassybread

Is "at this time" a normal part of a rejection letter or does imply to try again later?
Mar 04 2015 03:46 PM
  • scarvesandcardigans's Photo
    scarvesandcardigans
    I personally don't think it's normal, and I would be encouraged to apply again. The statement in my rejection letter informed me of the program's small number of acceptances they could offer (so it was just a small-window cycle) and I bet that's what the "at this time" is getting at as well.
    Mar 04 2015 04:06 PM
  • iphi's Photo
    iphi
    standard.
    Yesterday, 02:20 AM
  • jenste's Photo
    jenste
    I think it's both. You are welcome to try again and could be more successful next time, which is why it says "at this time." But it also sounds pretty standard.
    Yesterday, 04:01 AM
Photo

youngcharlie101

I feel ashamed of myself for realizing this now, but my epiphany is finally here: I really don't need to go to a prestigious school to get a decent education. I went to NYU, and I hated it there. I'm hoping to apply to some other PhD programs next fall depending on fit, not reputation. :)
Mar 04 2015 03:25 PM
  • Monochrome Spring's Photo
    Monochrome Spring
    :) I'm glad you're seeing some positive options come out of your situation. As long as you're happy with your life, screw prestige and opinions.
    Mar 04 2015 04:50 PM
  • 1314Spofford's Photo
    1314Spofford
    Ditto. Have an MA from NYU and did not consider applying to their PhD program for that very reason. What a pile of pretentiousness.
    Yesterday, 10:38 PM
  • youngcharlie101's Photo
    youngcharlie101
    Yes!!! Thank you! So it's not just me! :-D
    Yesterday, 11:20 PM
Photo

angel_kaye13

{to self} "Filling out 'acceptance of offer' form...Check! Envelope...Check! ...[sigh] I GUESS I shouldn't use my Harry Potter stamps.... [le sigh]
Mar 04 2015 12:35 PM
  • MidwesternAloha's Photo
    MidwesternAloha
    Why not? Stamps make me happy. I mailed my travel reimbursement forms to a school using oversized Barnum & Bailey Circus stamps. #yolo!
    Mar 04 2015 03:12 PM
  • angel_kaye13's Photo
    angel_kaye13
    ^^
    Mar 04 2015 03:13 PM
  • Shamrock_Frog's Photo
    Shamrock_Frog
    Do it. Why not?
    Mar 04 2015 03:31 PM
Photo

OneLove21

Might be considering a Plan B if my 3rd or 4th notification is another reject or acceptance with no funding. Ive had a Plan B option presented to me as of today. I'm still clinging on for admission in fall 2015 though.
Mar 04 2015 06:23 AM
  • OneLove21's Photo
    OneLove21
    Thanks!I guess it's better to consider Plan B now than later. Its also a moderately paid position oversea for 1 year.I'll take anything for pay and experience as a recent undergrad.It hurts to possibly resort to a plan B after how stressful the application has been.The good thing is that I have 5 programs left to hear from if I decide to go this fall. Yet, going Fall 2016 will allow me to gain a year worth of intentional experience as a sit out&a chance to retake Gres. 
    Mar 04 2015 07:28 AM
  • OneLove21's Photo
    OneLove21
    Yikes! Didn't mean to delete your comment. I'm typing this from my phone and the comment box is so distorted on my phones screen. Sorry about that. And thanks again. Good luck to you as well
    Mar 04 2015 07:30 AM