Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Community Status Updates

Photo
Photo

Dedi

Got off the waitlist for a prestigious award at U of T! I'm so excited to be starting next fall!
Today, 12:14 AM
Photo

AlwaysGetsTheShortEnd

Head down and working hard. Writing papers and networking.
Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Photo

windrainfireandbooks

Perhaps I am crazy for leaning towards the offer that is at a top 30 UK school that has decent European placement rates and which seems like an all-around perfect fit over my offer from a top 30 in the world school that has decent placement rates globally and which is a good fit on paper but which didn't feel as appealing in person. Ugh, I feel like I am going crazy this app season! :(
Yesterday, 07:16 PM
  • wuglife427's Photo
    wuglife427
    Sometimes having a well known and well-connected PI can be better than being in a well known program! If you really think the lower-ranked school will help you do better work and make you happier, you should go for it. Good luck with the decision either way!
    Yesterday, 10:32 PM
  • Cookie's Photo
    Cookie
    yes, Im in my 4th semester of Theoretical Chemistry PhD program.
    Today, 12:14 AM
  • windrainfireandbooks's Photo
    windrainfireandbooks
    Thanks for the insight and support everyone. And very cool Cookie, congratulations!:)
    Today, 04:11 AM
Photo

VulpesZerda

Officially accepted my offer, PhD here I come!
Yesterday, 04:21 AM
Photo

JJWS

Seven years of college down the drain... might as well join the #(?1/-)& peace corps.
Mar 26 2015 08:29 PM
  • ashiepoo72's Photo
    ashiepoo72
    No one should begrudge you the time to be upset, but I sincerely hope you don't give up if this is what you really want to do.
    Mar 26 2015 08:39 PM
  • Nocho's Photo
    Nocho
    Do it, volunteering with Peace Corps was the best decision I ever made.
    Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Photo

Rose Tyler

Regretting the number of random emails I receive throughout the day. It jump every time I see that (1) next to my inbox only to realize that it's just spam.
Mar 26 2015 06:58 PM
Photo

shadowclaw

I made shrimp tikka masala tonight, and it was AWESOME.
Mar 26 2015 03:19 AM
Photo

LittleDarlings

Why is everyone in grad school either married or in relationships? Why do I have the displeasure of having to constantly meet them? Where are the fun people?!
Mar 26 2015 01:12 AM
  • MidwesternAloha's Photo
    MidwesternAloha
    My situation is opposite. I'm the only married person wherever I go.
    Mar 26 2015 04:37 PM
  • Aspireperspireinspire's Photo
    Aspireperspireinspire
    See; sometimes I wish I could be one of "the fun people." I'm glad I'm in a relationship, and I love my kids, but I don't have the time and energy to be "fun," and for that and other reasons it's kind of difficult relating to the people in my program who are only in their mid-to-late twenties and don't have kids.
    Mar 26 2015 05:26 PM
  • LittleDarlings's Photo
    LittleDarlings
    I just don't like hanging out with married people I mean idk some are cool but I never want to hear abut their SO. I would also never intentionally hang out with a couple.
    Mar 26 2015 05:30 PM
Photo

attackonthedoctor

I'm starting to fear that I won't have enough money to relocate to my program, especially since my job has started cutting everyone's hours. This is just fueling my anxiety. :-(
Mar 25 2015 11:39 PM
  • Munashi's Photo
    Munashi
    As a last-ditch effort, I've also heard of people applying for new credit cards with a 0% interest for the first 12 months to charge moving expenses to. Just make sure you pay it all off within 12 months if you go that route.
    Mar 26 2015 03:57 PM
  • kurayamino's Photo
    kurayamino
    I would definitely ask if there's any way they could provide some funding before hand. Be frank with them and maybe they can shuffle some funding (say from a first summer) to this summer. Good luck!

Mar 26 2015 05:04 PM
  • attackonthedoctor's Photo
    attackonthedoctor
    Thanks everyone! I'll look into these options. I'm going to give it a bit more time before asking outright. I could just be freaking out over nothing. Good luck to you all as well!
    Mar 26 2015 05:11 PM
Photo

VulpesZerda

Only two programs left to hear from. One says they sent the email and it bounced back. The other invited me for a phone interview in February and hasn't returned my continued calls to set it up.
Mar 25 2015 09:27 PM
  • iphi's Photo
    iphi
    Well you definitely don't want a program that blew you off for a month. You'll never be treated better than when a program is trying to woo you, so keep that in mind!
    Mar 25 2015 10:45 PM
  • TheMercySeat's Photo
    TheMercySeat
    Isn't it remarkable how so many programs treat prospectives like trash?
    Mar 25 2015 11:10 PM
  • VulpesZerda's Photo
    VulpesZerda
    Yeah I think I'm going to stop trying with that one. My advisor warned me that it was no good, but I figured I might need a back up. Turns out, I don't!
    Mar 26 2015 12:34 AM
Photo

Catria

On my last visit, some quantum computing guy asked why there never were any applications to that school from my undergrad prior to this cycle...
Mar 25 2015 08:19 PM
Photo

OneLove21

Just got through writing 21 pages of research related-papers in 3 nights (undergrad). The reason wasn't even procrastination lol...it just took lots of research. I need to get better at this before I start my Masters in the fall though...
Mar 25 2015 07:05 PM
  • Monochrome Spring's Photo
    Monochrome Spring
    The procrastination only gets worse. You just feel more guilty.
    Mar 26 2015 01:35 AM
Photo

Monochrome Spring

Ditched an important meeting to get my partner the last limited edition Majora's Mask 3DS within an hour's drive. Worth.
Mar 25 2015 05:32 PM
  • Munashi's Photo
    Munashi
    That's real love, dude.
    Mar 25 2015 07:50 PM
  • Munashi's Photo
    Munashi
    Hope they like it!
    Mar 25 2015 07:51 PM
  • Sarochan's Photo
    Sarochan
    That's got to be an exciting present to get! Hope they enjoy it, and that the meeting wasn't too critical.
    Mar 25 2015 10:27 PM
Photo

dat_nerd

I got reviews back and I don't think either of my papers are going to be accepted. Sigh. Just gotta keep moving forward, right?
Mar 25 2015 03:10 PM
  • fuzzylogician's Photo
    fuzzylogician
    Haters gonna hate. Good work eventually find its home. It just may take longer than we'd like.
    Mar 25 2015 05:40 PM