Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Community Status Updates

Photo

AKCarlton

carving pumpkins with the cohort tonight!
Today, 06:25 PM
  • smg's Photo
    smg
    fun...are you guys chipping your own blades?
    Today, 06:47 PM
Photo

Monochrome Spring

My friend's foster dog attacked my face yesterday, and now I have a bruised jaw. I'm not upset with the dog at all, but I'd like to not be bruised for classes today.
Today, 03:07 PM
Photo
Photo

Nautiloid

I just realized that during this rotation I went almost 4 weeks without taking a single day off from lab work. What. Is. Wrong. With. Me.
Today, 01:38 AM
  • ss2player's Photo
    ss2player
    Is your PI a hardass?
    Today, 01:50 AM
  • Nautiloid's Photo
    Nautiloid
    Not particularly, but I don't think his lab is a great match for me anyway. Thank god this is just a rotation and not my thesis lab.
    Today, 07:39 PM
Photo

spectastic

so my roommate's computer desktop is on shuffle, and right now it's an x-ray of his hip that just happens to have included his dick
Today, 12:33 AM
Photo

spectastic

so my roommate's computer is on shuffle, and right now it's an x-ray of his hip that just happens to have included his dick
Today, 12:32 AM
Photo

Threeboysmom

Sick with bronchitis....
Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Photo

zekariasmelaku@gmail.com

I graduated with a bachelor's degree, major in management information system, in Ethiopia from a not so much reputed private university.That would be back in 2006. But then, I worked very hard and make a very good career out of it working for an international research institutes and big projects funded by the Johns Hopkins University. Currently, I am working as a Database Administrator at the Capital Blue Cross. Three weeks ago, I've applied for a Masters in Computer Science at the...
Yesterday, 03:06 PM
  • proflorax's Photo
    proflorax
    not an SOP, but the start of a forum post: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/58791-what-next/#entry1058171687

User was probably just confused about where and how to post their questions.
    Yesterday, 05:02 PM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    i was joking
    Yesterday, 10:19 PM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    I make a lot of terrible jokes
    Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Photo

ahlatsiawa

So I was having dinner and broke and ate half my tooth without even knowing it.
Yesterday, 02:16 AM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    you could show up with a black eye and ripped shirt, saying you got in a fight with your PI
    Yesterday, 03:14 PM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    wait, don't grad students get benefits?
    Yesterday, 03:25 PM
  • ahlatsiawa's Photo
    ahlatsiawa
    Yes but no dental.
    Yesterday, 03:40 PM
Photo

starofdawn

Just spent 50 hours on a homework assignment. Color me exhausted.
Oct 22 2014 05:02 AM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    damn that actually sounds useful.
    Yesterday, 01:25 AM
  • starofdawn's Photo
    starofdawn
    @spectastic I bet there are machines these days that can do that for me :p but still good to go through the exercise to fully understand it!
    Yesterday, 01:59 AM
  • spectastic's Photo
    spectastic
    oh yea I went through those types of classes, and remember nothing more than the basic concepts. use it or lose it
    Yesterday, 02:33 AM
Photo

Threeboysmom

Wondering if I should take minimester this winter... hmmm
Oct 22 2014 02:29 AM
  • Monochrome Spring's Photo
    Monochrome Spring
    Take a break instead. You'll appreciate it after fall.
    Oct 22 2014 01:38 PM
Photo

lesleyautumn

It is extremely weird to read your letters of recommendation and see yourself through someone else's eyes.
Oct 21 2014 06:23 PM
  • gk210's Photo
    gk210
    nobody submitted LORS on behalf of the writers. all they're saying is that they got to see what their writers thought of them AFTER they turned it in.

on another note, one of my professors told me she was going to email me her letter (2 months after I got accepted) but I never received it. I think I'm okay with not knowing, haha.
    Yesterday, 02:04 AM
  • lesleyautumn's Photo
    lesleyautumn
    Starofdawn, gk210 is right. They simply emailed me the LORs after the submitted them to the schools directly so I had a frame of reference of what was mentioned.

gk210, one my of my writers did the same thing. I'm perfectly fine without reading it, too.
    Yesterday, 02:42 PM
  • starofdawn's Photo
    starofdawn
    I see, I was mistaken.
    Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Photo

youngcharlie101

Been missing my ex a lot today. :( What's the best cure for a broken heart--besides vodka? :-D
Oct 21 2014 05:49 PM
Photo

Monochrome Spring

I've never eaten so much pizza in my life. Free pizza from my apartment, clubs on campus, and class meetings.
Oct 21 2014 04:36 PM
  • jenste's Photo
    jenste
    Any leftovers? Nothing like pizza for breakfast. Mmmm
    Oct 22 2014 03:00 AM
  • peachypie's Photo
    peachypie
    share the pizza...with me!
    Oct 22 2014 02:13 PM
  • lhommependu's Photo
    lhommependu
    i would also like some of the pizza