Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Community Status Updates

Photo

NavyMom

Learning how to get up earlier in the morning to study for an hour before going to work... it's taking a while to adjust. I can't seem to stay up at night to read, too tired. Any suggestions on how to combat being sleepy?
Today, 01:42 PM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    I went to the vitamin store and picked up some vitamins. A few moths ago I was not able to make it through the day without taking a nap. They have helped me. Other than that you have a good plan. I can't stay up too late at night either my brain dies after a certain time. So i get up two hours before everyone else.
    Today, 03:39 PM
Photo

Threeboysmom

First week of school and I feel that I'm not getting as much study time in as I would like. Managing three boys and all their activities and a hubby that works long days there is very little time for academic pursuits. Hhhmmm
Today, 02:22 AM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    Yes, I am going to talk to him and create a plan going forward.
    Thankfully, I spent some time getting ahead in my reading but its all I can do to keep ahead and I have yet to start assignments so we need a better system in place now or else no one will be happy.

Today, 03:33 AM
  • iphi's Photo
    iphi
    Yeah it's going to be tough to organize, but your family will be so proud of you. They want you to succeed - let them help you. :)
    Today, 04:05 AM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    Thanks iphi.
    Today, 11:26 AM
Photo

Monochrome Spring

Going from the quarter system to the semester system. Instead of running into midterms by the 3rd week, I feel like I can relax more in my courses.
Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Photo

ERR_Alpha

Updating my first status as an official grad student O.o
Yesterday, 05:48 PM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    Alright I did that after attending my first class Monday. Feels good right.
    Yesterday, 05:50 PM
Photo

AKCarlton

Already planning a visit with the City Archaeologist! He said I can volunteer at the city archives! Woot!
Yesterday, 01:51 AM
Photo

gk210

Finally moved into my new condo in Boston!
Aug 27 2014 10:54 PM
  • Articklish's Photo
    Articklish
    Did you buy the condo?
    Yesterday, 10:40 PM
  • gk210's Photo
    gk210
    lol no i guess i should've rephrased myself. i'm renting out a room in a condo. whoops. i ain't that rich!
    Yesterday, 10:56 PM
  • Articklish's Photo
    Articklish
    it's still exciting! :)
    Today, 02:58 AM
Photo

Dedi

3.0 on writing. I have no idea what happened. I thought that portion was fine. Should I retake, even though my other scores are fine?
Aug 27 2014 10:39 PM
  • Monochrome Spring's Photo
    Monochrome Spring
    Ask the admissions secretaries for each department how much it matters in admissions (if they know).
    Yesterday, 04:48 AM
  • eshaw93's Photo
    eshaw93
    how well did you do on the other sections? I've heard that most programs don't really take the writing section seriously, especially because they get to see your writing potential first hand from your SoP and writing samples
    Yesterday, 04:29 PM
  • Dedi's Photo
    Dedi
    I got 156 V and 161 Q. I have asked the department about the importance of the AWA score.
    Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Photo

LittleDarlings

Got my Lilly Pulitzer planner!!! AHHHHHH so excitedddd!
Aug 27 2014 05:04 PM
  • Monochrome Spring's Photo
    Monochrome Spring
    Yay. I'm glad you settled on a planner that's a good compromise between the Erin Conrad and a more basic Target one.
    Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Photo

jhefflol

Wake up, make coffee, study, repeat. 0.0
Aug 27 2014 04:58 PM
Photo

AKCarlton

In Boston. Setting up the room, figuring out the train, exploring campus...very different.
Aug 27 2014 02:31 PM
  • VulpesZerda's Photo
    VulpesZerda
    Welcome! Feel free to PM me for tips about the T :-)
    Yesterday, 01:36 AM
  • AKCarlton's Photo
    AKCarlton
    I am very proud of myself in how well I have navigated the T thus far...even went to Downtown Crossing and changed to the Orange line to get to Jamba Juice today :P
    Yesterday, 01:47 AM
  • VulpesZerda's Photo
    VulpesZerda
    Awesome!! That's one of the best tips - Downtown Crossing/Park Street are the same thing if you're willing to walk underground for a bit. Great in the winter. Also, Downtown Crossing is more or less what determines whether you're going inbound or outbound.
    Yesterday, 06:00 AM
Photo

DeafAudi

Dealing with a stressed out dog after my move from the suburbs to the busy downtown coastal lifestyle :(. Help?
Aug 27 2014 06:28 AM
  • DeafAudi's Photo
    DeafAudi
    She also hasn't been eating much. I'm wondering if maybe the laziness is a sign of anxiety/overtiredness. I think I'll try the music suggestion at home and see if that helps, thanks.
    Aug 27 2014 07:42 AM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    Poor dog this must be agonizing to see your pet in distress. Maybe call her old vet and ask for suggestions that don't require meds. Even a trainer may have some ideas to help her with the transition.
    Aug 27 2014 12:29 PM
  • RunnerGrad's Photo
    RunnerGrad
    I know for cats there is Feliway - pheromones which help with moves, stress, etc. maybe there is something similar for dogs?
    Aug 27 2014 01:07 PM
Photo

ahlatsiawa

What to do when you really want to take a class but it has reached its maximum limit. I have already gotten my name included in the waitlist. Is there anything else I can do?
Aug 27 2014 12:23 AM
  • Academicat's Photo
    Academicat
    Perhaps a silly question, but have you spoken with the professor yet?
    Aug 27 2014 10:47 AM
  • ahlatsiawa's Photo
    ahlatsiawa
    Yes I talked to him and he said all you can do is to keep coming for classes, register for the waitlist and hope somebody drops out. The second class is tomorrow and the last date to add a new course is 2 September. Should I go to his office after class tomorrow?
    Aug 27 2014 01:34 PM
  • Academicat's Photo
    Academicat
    If you've already asked if he'll let you in and he can't (or prefers not to), it's best not to ask again. Your other option is to intimidate one of your classmates into dropping (I kid).

Yesterday, 11:58 AM
Photo

Threeboysmom

Came home last night from my first day of classes. Woke up this morning overwhelmed and wondering what in the world have I gotten myself into.
Aug 26 2014 01:30 PM
  • NavyMom's Photo
    NavyMom
    :) Take a deep breath!
    Aug 26 2014 06:23 PM
  • DeafAudi's Photo
    DeafAudi
    You can do it! :)

Aug 27 2014 06:25 AM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    Thanks DeafAudi!
    Aug 27 2014 12:27 PM
Photo

LittleDarlings

First day! I am panicking over my outfit! I have physical therapy right after class can I wear yogas?
Aug 26 2014 11:31 AM
  • DeafAudi's Photo
    DeafAudi
    I'm already planning my outfit for my first day on Thursday! Glad your first day went well :).
    Aug 27 2014 06:25 AM
  • LittleDarlings's Photo
    LittleDarlings
    I am going to start my first paper today and readings for tomorrows class and next weeks. I feel like I don't have enough hours in the day
    Aug 27 2014 02:23 PM
  • Threeboysmom's Photo
    Threeboysmom
    I'm panicking stressing and avoiding all that the same time.
    Yesterday, 12:30 AM
Photo

Threeboysmom

First day done, now it's turn up time.
Aug 26 2014 03:26 AM