How are you guys deciding on schools?

So what are you guys considering when it comes to school choices/choosing where to go? I've applied to UMD, UAlbany, CUNY, IUB, MSU, and Rutgers. So far, I've been accepted to IUB's PhD program with funding offers to come, I wasn't accepted into MSU's PhD program (my own alma matter!), but they did accept me into their MS program and I had a professor tell me I had a really great shot for funding, I'm wait-listed with UAlbany, I've interviewed with CUNY (which HOPEFULLY went well) so I sort of consider myself "wait-listed" with them too, and I haven't heard one way or another from UMD or Rutgers.

What this all means is that, currently, the only two choices I have "in the bag" are MSU's MS program and IUB. Both of which are good choices, I think. Honestly, I don't think I'd be disappointed going to ANY of the programs I've chosen. I researched all of them pretty extensively, and liked certain aspects about all of them.

I guess my question is, though, how are you guys deciding? When I first started applying to programs, all of my professors REALLY pushed the idea of rank on me. We all know UMD and UAlbany are schools that top that out; MSU, Rutgers, and CUNY are all in pretty good places. IUB is #22, though, which concerns me, but also confuses me. I've looked into their program, and they have plenty of SUNY/other big name school professors, they have Ivy league grads for an interdisciplinary education, and have a LOT of research going on (especially international, which is what I want to focus on). Does anyone know why they're ranked so low? Like I said, I was really impressed with everything I saw in my research with them, and the ranking is really unsettling because it doesn't seem to jive with the school I looked at.

Anyway, I've thought like this: I applied to some of the top schools directly out of undergrad with a 3.4 overall a Q560/V620/AW5.5, 4 research projects where I was only periphery, and no publications. I know I had awesome letters of rec from really well known professors, I felt really happy with my personal statement, and my writing sample was also pretty strong. I had some work experience that may have helped, and I really tried to emphasize my diversity by talking about my English degree as well. But if I were to go to MSU, get my MS degree with funding, I'd have a lot of opportunities. I know the entire faculty there and would get research experience. I'd probably be offered a TA/RA position with a professor I know. I have a paper I'm working on publishing which, hopefully, 2 years form now WILL be a publication. After I have an MS, I'd probably be a really strong applicant for places like UAlbany, the #2 school, since where I am now (which is considerably lower than where I would be then) already waitlisted with them.

So what do you guys think? Does it make more sense to go directly into a PhD program that's not as well regarded and try for a job in academia? Or would it make more sense to go, get my MS from a pretty well known school, reapply, and hope for the best from the "top" schools again? Granted, I don't ACTUALLY know what'll happen with UMD, UAlbany, CUNY, and Rutgers (though I am holding out little hope for UMD and UAlbany; I haven't heard one way or another from UMD and I know they've already done acceptances, so I'm guessing I'm "waitlisted" there, too, and I highly doubt anyone'll turn down offers from UMD or UAlbany), but assuming the worst and all (since that's what I'm good at) and none of my other schools pan out---what would you guys do?

(PS: Sorry this is so long. My thoughts are incredibly muddled)

When I was applying, all of my professors told me to ignore rankings and look at other things like location and fit. And so my main criteria when looking at schools were location and research...I didn't even consider schools in the Midwest or the South, and I thought I'd really like the Northeast, so that's the area I looked at. CUNY was my first choice because I immediately fell in love with the Criminology and Deviance specialization in the master's program, although I ended up applying to the doctoral program. And I recently visited NYC and fell in love with the city, too. I applied to UMD because it was ranked first and SUNY because it's second and also because a couple of my professors went there (albeit many years ago) and told me great things about it. I applied to the University of New Haven because one of my heroes (Robert Keppel) teaches there and it was also a sure thing and the application was free. So I had a lot of different reasons for applying to each program that I picked. As for picking which program to enter, I think fit is my main concern, followed closely by funding and then location. If I end up getting accepted to CUNY (which is doubtful at this point, but if they've rejected me I wish they'd just send me a letter already!)...well, I don't think I could pass it up. The reason I say that is because I think I'm going to call UMD and ask if they can defer my admission for a year...I feel terrible doing it, but I just got a job as a probation officer and I'd really like to get some real-world experience while I have the chance. In the next year I'd also like to get married and save up money before I'm a poor student again, so those are my reasons for putting off grad school. I definitely intend to go next year, though! I think I would only go to grad school this fall if I got an amazing offer from CUNY or SUNY...Maryland is an incredible program and I'm thrilled to have been offered a research assistantship there, but I don't think I can do it right now with a stipend of only $15,000. :(

As far as why IUB is #22, maybe this article will help answer your question: http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-graduate-schools/2009/04/22/how-we-calculate-the-graduate-school-rankings.html?s_cid=related-links:TOP

And as for your big question, I think that you'll just know what to do. I've made several pro/con lists for work vs. grad school, and they all come out equal, but then I realize that I've kind of already made up my mind without meaning to...if that makes sense. Also, I don't know about everyone else in the field, but the professors at my school don't pay any attention to the rankings because it's hard to compare programs when they're all so different. So I would think that it's better to go to a lower ranked school if you'll be a good fit there and have more opportunities to further your own research rather than go to a top ranked school if you might not have those opportunities.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I hope everyone is alive and well after this tumultuous experience. I decided on John Jay and I'm happy I did. I'm curious to find out where everyone's going in the Fall.

Hi there Catrin,

I'll be applying for the John Jay PhD later this year. Do you think that it'd be possible for us "aspiring" applicants to know your stats?

UC Irvine for me. I chose based on who I wanted to work with and UCI was one of the only places that has both criminology and law and society that has people studying the use of forensic science in the courtrooms from a Science and Technology Studies standpoint and a Psych standpoint, etc.

Edited by sba2016

Hi there Catrin,

I'll be applying for the John Jay PhD later this year. Do you think that it'd be possible for us "aspiring" applicants to know your stats?

Hi Harlem,

Sure I can share my stats. I don't know exactly what you want to know but here's some:

GRE V: 440

GRE Q: 620

GRE A: 5

Combined degree BA/MA Forensic Psych, GPA: 3.9

MA CJ: 3.9 (both from John Jay)

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Good Luck!

Hi Harlem,

Sure I can share my stats. I don't know exactly what you want to know but here's some:

GRE V: 440

GRE Q: 620

GRE A: 5

Combined degree BA/MA Forensic Psych, GPA: 3.9

MA CJ: 3.9 (both from John Jay)

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Good Luck!

Hi~

Thank you so much! That was really helpful!!!!