Turning down the only offer

bookchica

Would it be wise to turn down the only offer you receive from a school you aren't crazy about for the possibility of next year's application season? Many rejections this year, but could next year be more promising?

Would it be wise to turn down the only offer you receive from a school you aren't crazy about for the possibility of next year's application season? Many rejections this year, but could next year be more promising?

If you're not that happy with this school, have you considered transferring after the first year? I would just rather get started straight away, while things could get better next year, then again, they may not. And if you did apply to this place, it must be because you don't totally hate the idea of going there either, right? Just my 2 cents!

I think you have to go with your feelings for the program. I would consider attending any of the programs I applied to and while I did have my favorites I've found that a program I thought might be less interested in my application has shown the most interest and preparedness in my project. I received a waitlist, a handful of rejections, and then an acceptance (still awaiting 3 more decisions). Sometimes the departmental websites aren't very up to date with profs' current work and it turns out that the program that accepted me is very well equipped to support me. If you don't feel the one school that accepted you is that good for you then maybe you should consider declining. There is probably another student out there who is anxious to take your spot but remember, they accepted you for a reason and you also applied for a reason. The application process is so unpredictable that no one can guarantee the next year will be more promising but I think you have to deeply consider your options. I'm going to accept my offer not out of fear of being left out next year but because the program has shown its capability to support me and my work (which is kind of on the margins). If you accept the offer and then are unhappy during the first year and unable to transfer where will that leave you? That may be one thing to consider. On the other hand, you may find that it works out well for you. If there's even a chance of that happening then maybe you should go for it.

I wouldn't recommend trying to "game" the admissions cycle in the hopes that another year might be less competitive. It really just comes down to whether you are happy with your admit or not. If you're unhappy with the program and can't see yourself there for the next however many years, then do yourself and the school a favor and turn them down. Spend the next year improving your application and try again when you feel ready.

I also really wouldn't recommend attending in the hopes of transferring after a year. A PhD isn't like undergrad; transfers are uncommon and quite tricky.

I also really wouldn't recommend attending in the hopes of transferring after a year. A PhD isn't like undergrad; transfers are uncommon and quite tricky.

Yes to this.

I think turning down your only admit makes sense if:

- the money isn't enough to live off of, especially for the humanities

- you can't do the work you want at that school

- there isn't an acceptable supervisor with good fit

- you realize you don't really want the degree

- life intervenes (illness, family emergency, etc)

Ideally, you would have figured out 2, 3 and 4 before applying.

Turning it down in the hopes that next year will be better? Not a good reason, IMO. I don't think schools will start rebounding financially and cohort-size-wise for a while yet. And what are you going to do in the coming year to make your application better? Or will you just be a year further away from your last degree, with the same stats?

If the only thing that will be different about your application next year is that you are a year older, than keep in mind your application won't look any better, and I wouldn't count on having better luck then you've had this year.

If you simply aren't crazy about it, rather than decide you wouldn't be happy there, then I would strongly consider going anyway unless you have something resume boosting like research or doing better on GREs lined up.

I disagree with most of the people here. Not accepting an offer you aren't happy with is one of the wisest things you can do. I have had conversations with a couple of grad students during my interview weekends who said that they turned down all their offers one or two years in a row until they found a program they were truly excited about, and they were all glad they did.

You have to live with your choice not only for the next 5-7 years, but where you go and who you work with is going to follow you around for the rest of your career. If you aren't happy with it, wait until you are. Grad school is a meat grinder; it's hard enough without the added stress of feeling like you should have done better.

Also, I've heard from a number of adcoms that this was a brutal year to be applying to grad school. Applications are way, way up (as much as double at the top biology schools) and funding is down at most places. I don't think any of us could have picked a worse year to apply, and waiting it out should improve your changes significantly. In my case, this has lead to the weird situation of being rejected by my safety schools and being invited to interview to my reach programs, because they're the only ones with enough funding to have a sizable class.

You have to live with your choice not only for the next 5-7 years, but where you go and who you work with is going to follow you around for the rest of your career. If you aren't happy with it, wait until you are. Grad school is a meat grinder; it's hard enough without the added stress of feeling like you should have done better.

I agree, the year off may be tough but not as tough as being somewhere you don't want to be. Even though the year may be tough it can be very helpful to crystallize your interests and re-affirm you commitment to pursuing a Ph.D.

I would say turn it down, but only if you have the opportunity to make yourself a stronger candidate for next season. I know you're applying for the PhD, but I've been in your shoes applying to Masters programs. Last year I got rejected from all my top choices and only got an offer from my safety school. I anguished about it until the absolute last minute, but decided not to go and to take a year to make myself a more appealing candidate, and took an AmeriCorps position related to my field. It paid off, I just got my first acceptance from a MUCH better program and university yesterday morning. I agree that the school you choose follows you around forever...

Thank you all for responding, many of you are saying what I am thinking. Let me add details and my own opinion.

1st) Why I applied: the school is my safety school. I like the area, it's near a relative, and for some reason my boyfriend wanted me to apply there. (Yes, I realize these aren't the greatest reasons)... However, there are professors at this school whose knowledge could benefit my research and dissertations very similar to the one I anticipate writing have been written at this school. So, it fits, in some ways.

2nd) My reservations: 1) That it isn't the best fit.

2) That it isn't a prestigious enough institution.

3) I've looked at the classes offered over the past 3 years, very few looked appealing, even fewer courses looked exciting.

3rd) My hope: that I get into a better school next year.

4th) My application assessment: GRE scores= fine. 660 Verbal, 680 Math, 5.0 AW. My statement of purpose= good, but not great. My writing sample, good, maybe even great in places, but other than this safety school, perhaps not applicable enough.

5th) My decision: I think I'd like to go visit, spending money out of my own pocket for a flight and rental car, to make sure I wouldn't be happy there. I'd like to meet some current students and faculty members, sit in on a class, and roam the campus. It's worth investigating, but my gut says "no" right now.

However, I don't believe in initial impressions. You can be wrong about someone, something or a school.

6th) My March 2nd leaning: take a chance by visiting; I won't turn it down outright.

I think a lot of posters here had valid advice. With that said, I agree that visiting the school is absolutely the best idea. I visited 3 of the 4 schools I applied to and it gave me a much better feel for the school, the advisor, the advisor's students, and the location. Also, if you haven't met your potential advisor, you might feel an immediate rapport with him/her or completely the opposite. I don't think you can overlook the value of intuition, and if you don't feel that it is right for you after visiting, then I think it is ok to say no.

Also, I think it would be wise to be very realistic with yourself about where you may be able to get in next year. I am making absolutely no judgements. I don't know anything about grad schools in your field.

Good luck, this is not an easy decision.

Edited by Lantern

I was in your shoes last year. I got totally pummeled last year but thankfully got into a good masters program. I applied this year and got rejected almost everywhere again (goes to show you how competitive it is), but got into two fantastic programs. One was from a school that rejected me the previous, and its was much tougher this year (+100 applications this time). If I can do it, I think you can too.

My advice is if you do decide to turn your offer down, make sure to spend your time doing something constructive for the year - besides just your applications. Maybe look into getting a job or internship close to your field, or something that might allow you to get more research experience. I flirted with the idea of being a research assistant (for free) for my advisor, while holding down a gig at starbucks.

It also might be worthwhile to apply for Masters programs next year and wait it out 2-3 years before you apply again. Applications could be that bad next year, in which case a Masters would make you competitive for the programs you wanted to get into.

Good luck.

Edited by SansSociety

I'm with ozugo here. Last year I had only two offers, and one of them I couldn't afford. So I panicked, thinking that I had no other options at all, and hey, if they wanted me and it looked okay, how bad could it be?

Well. By the end of a single semester I was disillusioned and burned-out and feeling sick about having decided to go with it. Although I liked the people in the program, academically it was a very poor match for my interests - something that I only could have known ahead of time if I'd visited the department, which I hadn't because I hadn't had the time and I assumed it would be okay. But now here I was, dreading the thought of ever having to go back there after the holidays. So I talked to some advisors, signed a few forms, handed in my keys, found a job elsewhere for after New Year's, and left the program. It probably would have been better if I'd taken the entire year off, and then I wouldn't have taken the place of someone who had really wanted to be there. (Minor issue, but it did leave me with a little bit of guilt.)

So yes, do visit the program, and ask lots of questions! If you feel encouraged, go for it. If you don't, then put it aside and apply again next year, and in the meantime find a way to strengthen your application and/or refine your interests and SOP. The mistake I made was thinking that I had to be in grad-school or I wouldn't be happy. On the contrary: that program was such a bad fit for me that I've been happier with the fairly menial IT desk-job I've had since January than with the one semester I did at last year's safety-school.

Best of luck!

Edited by psycholinguist

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation, but with a twist, so please weigh in everyone...

The PhD program i'm accepted at is in a great location and I think I will enjoy the students & profs. The problem is that I'm a professional at the

moment and will be giving up a $60k/year job and moving my family (wife & toddler) 1,000mi to a school that's only offered 100% tuition (no stipend). It means I'd need to go part-time since there are no jobs for my wife in the area and we'd have to burn through all our savings.

The difficult part is that I'm wait-listed at a better school with a better project fit that's only 45 mins away and pays a stipend. It is the proverbial "bird in the hand" scenario...

I'm in a similar situation, but with a twist, so please weigh in everyone...

The PhD program i'm accepted at is in a great location and I think I will enjoy the students & profs. The problem is that I'm a professional at the

moment and will be giving up a $60k/year job and moving my family (wife & toddler) 1,000mi to a school that's only offered 100% tuition (no stipend). It means I'd need to go part-time since there are no jobs for my wife in the area and we'd have to burn through all our savings.

The difficult part is that I'm wait-listed at a better school with a better project fit that's only 45 mins away and pays a stipend. It is the proverbial "bird in the hand" scenario...

I relate. I do have another offer that is at a wonderful school I like very, very much, and though it doesn't pay a stipend, it is working-student friendly and would allow me to continue caring for my family.

On the other hand, I am bummed that it's difficult to even seriously consider my offer at the school that doesn't have the stipend but is a full-time, rigorous program that would need my full-time devotion. (It also comes with a bit of prestige as well, which makes it hard to walk away without full consideration, but my family has to eat and I can't go into huge debt when my field doesn't pay well to begin with.)

As for your situation, having been waitlisted, if you were sure the waitlisting school would offer a stipend, I might be tempted to turn down the "tuition only" school in your shoes. You are "this.close." If you don't get in this year, you could work to strengthen weaknesses and reapply next year. For those not waitlisted elsewhere, though, it does seem like you have to be especially sure to consider how much is realistically going to change in a year for you.

Edited by NervousNellie

Also, I've heard from a number of adcoms that this was a brutal year to be applying to grad school. Applications are way, way up (as much as double at the top biology schools) and funding is down at most places. I don't think any of us could have picked a worse year to apply, and waiting it out should improve your changes significantly. In my case, this has lead to the weird situation of being rejected by my safety schools and being invited to interview to my reach programs, because they're the only ones with enough funding to have a sizable class.

I'm not the only one! I also got rejected from safety schools but into my most competitive choices! I was telling people that and they couldn't believe it!

Aside from that, I agree that this year was brutal, and I knew it was going to be brutal going into the process. With the economy being terrible, people are not confident that they will be able to get a job post-graduation and choose to apply to grad school so they have something to do for the next few years. So the applicant pool is that much larger, and like you said, funding is down so schools are being cautious and accepting less.

The one thing I have to disagree with is that there is no way to know how long this will last. It could take years for the economy to get back to "normal"; even though it is doing better now, companies are still afraid to hire, thus people are still going to be applying to grad schools in droves until that starts to improve. Yeah, you can try to improve your application with your GRE's and SOP, but they also want to see you doing something relevant in the time between, and finding a relevant job is no easy feat these days. For those reasons, I would be very hesitant to decline your only admit. It's a huge chance to just hope things will be better next year, because I truly think it's gonna be this way for probably 2-5 more years.