BC Lynch School of Education - MA admission

danceforlife

Hi everyone,

I didn't see relevant and recently existing topics about Lynch School of Education, so just gonna start a new one.

I just called the admission office and apprently they have made decisions and are preparing to send out both acceptance/denial mails to all applications, which is expected to arrive by mid of march. They are reluctant to inform applicants any results through phone call, but then if you try a bit more, some staff might be more flexible on that. I was informed that I got acceptance over the phone call just now (HAPPY).

Since this forum has helped me to understand the "admission pattern" of schools (although also increases my level of anxiety), I just gonna share my profile below:

Field applied (at BC): MA on Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology

Working Experiences: nearly 4 years experiences in an US based NGO (working on education, health, migration issues) Asia regional office in Bangkok Thailand.

Education: B.A. in Philosophy (Taiwan) - GPA: 3.6, M.A. in Communication Studies (Ball State University, Indiana) - GPA 3.44 >>> I also had one year TA experience when I was at BSU

TOEFL (iBT): 111/120

GRE: V 490, Q760, W3.5 (I bombed my writing)

ROL/SOP: Excellent (I think...)

I only applied for 3 schools, I'm still waiting for the results from HGSE (MA on Arts in Education) and NYU Steinhardt (MA on Human Development and Social Intervantion)

Anyone has any results/information on this two programs? I'm dying to know the result from HGSE...

Thanks for starting the thread! I was recently accepted into the Higher Ed MA program. I am really excited. Have you visited BC before? I am planning to visit this spring. I am also still waiting on Harvard and Cornell.

Thanks for starting the thread! I was recently accepted into the Higher Ed MA program. I am really excited. Have you visited BC before? I am planning to visit this spring. I am also still waiting on Harvard and Cornell.

Hi edgrade, yes, I saw your post and that's why I decided to call =D. I've never visited BC before (was considering to visit schools before applying, but no time out from work...) and don't think I will be able to visit - I'm far away in Bangkok now, and it also costs a lot to fly there.

Once I receive results from other 2 schools, I will probably set up some phone calls with existing students to understand each school program better to make decision (well, provided i have other options!)

By the way, may i ask you how did you get to know your result? I noticed your post was back in feb 20ish...

Best luck to both of us!

Edited by danceforlife

Congratulations, Danceforlife!! Do you happen to know if they are offering you any scholarships/TAs/RAs? I am curious to know how generous they are to Masters students.

Hi mmmcoffee, thank you =). unfortunately, at this point, I don't know (was in ecstacy and forgot to ask more in the call...) but will update when I see the admission letter.

Hi danceforlife! I heard back from BC in the middle of Feb. by email. I just got another email this earlier week saying they are mailing our acceptance letters which I am looking forward to getting. I have been signing up for assistantships so I hope funding will work out. Good luck waiting. I am on the edge of my seat!

I just found out today that I got accepted for an M.Ed. in Secondary Education in History! I am super excited and am just waiting to see what, if any, financial aid they can offer me. I am pretty sure I am going to accept BC's offer, unless I just happen to get into Harvard, which seems like a long shot at this point. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Also, did anyone else apply for the Donovan Urban Teaching Scholars program? Nothing was mentioned about it in my acceptance letter, which I am assuming means I didn't get in, which isn't entirely surprising considering I don't have much experience with urban education. I was just wondering if any one else got confirmation in their acceptance letter that they got into the program. It seems odd that it isn't mentioned at all, but I am okay with just getting in!

And as for my stats, for those who are wondering:

Undergrad at Wellesley College, major in international relations

3.48 GPA, which is not awesome

640 Verbal, 720 Quant, 6 AW

No significant work experience besides teaching at a summer program for 2 years, currently employed as a nanny

I'd love to hear from others thinking about BC!

Hi betsykeys23! Congrats on your acceptance! I did not apply for the Donovan Urban Teaching Scholars program so I can't help you there but I am also waiting on Harvard. I am still waiting on my finaid package from BC. Did you try calling BC? Maybe they send out letters for the Urban Scholars program separately?

I just found out today that I got accepted for an M.Ed. in Secondary Education in History! I am super excited and am just waiting to see what, if any, financial aid they can offer me. I am pretty sure I am going to accept BC's offer, unless I just happen to get into Harvard, which seems like a long shot at this point. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Also, did anyone else apply for the Donovan Urban Teaching Scholars program? Nothing was mentioned about it in my acceptance letter, which I am assuming means I didn't get in, which isn't entirely surprising considering I don't have much experience with urban education. I was just wondering if any one else got confirmation in their acceptance letter that they got into the program. It seems odd that it isn't mentioned at all, but I am okay with just getting in!

And as for my stats, for those who are wondering:

Undergrad at Wellesley College, major in international relations

3.48 GPA, which is not awesome

640 Verbal, 720 Quant, 6 AW

No significant work experience besides teaching at a summer program for 2 years, currently employed as a nanny

I'd love to hear from others thinking about BC!

I heard about my admission from a letter in the mail, which was dated March 1st and either arrived Friday, Saturday or Monday to my apartment in Cambridge, which means it didn't have to travel very far.

I called BC on Monday before I got the letter and they said I could receive my masters decision as late as early April, which I assume is to account for multiple rounds of admission if people had turned down offers. Or they are just behind on some programs. Either way, it should definitely come through the mail.

I also applied for the Donovan scholars program, for elementary ed. but have not yet heard from BC. I am hopeful the letter will arrive this week! Did you hear via email or post?

Anyone hear anything about funding and/or finaid packages yet? I received my acceptance a few weeks ago but no word yet on funding.

Hi!

I just received the acceptance letter (mail) a couple of days ago, and no words on finaid at all either. I'm looking into the financial aid handbook now (just updated on March 1: http://www.bc.edu/schools/lsoe/gradadmission/meta-elements/pdf/2010HANDBOOK_March1.pdf) and will apply for various assistantships. I'm sure you also got this information in your package =)

I have the same question as you actually - whether anyone received RA/TA position in education faculty and how we can apply for it...I'm very keen on involving in some of community/research projects lead my professors.

On a separate not, I just got rejection from harvard (>"<, sigh, well, at least i fight for it already), but still waiting for NYU at the moment. it's likely I'm gonna settle in Boston...=D

Sorry to hear about Harvard. I have not received my decision from them yet. Thanks for the link about BC's finaid package. I emailed BC yesterday regarding finaid. If they don't get back to me today I plan on giving them a call on Monday. Fingers crossed for a good package for both of us. I really want to move to Boston:)

Hi!

I just received the acceptance letter (mail) a couple of days ago, and no words on finaid at all either. I'm looking into the financial aid handbook now (just updated on March 1: http://www.bc.edu/sc...BOOK_March1.pdf) and will apply for various assistantships. I'm sure you also got this information in your package =)

I have the same question as you actually - whether anyone received RA/TA position in education faculty and how we can apply for it...I'm very keen on involving in some of community/research projects lead my professors.

On a separate not, I just got rejection from harvard (>"<, sigh, well, at least i fight for it already), but still waiting for NYU at the moment. it's likely I'm gonna settle in Boston...=D

Hello -- I received my acceptance package for M.Ed in Curriculum and Instruction in my mail in Hong Kong this week! I called previously but they were not able to tell me the decision, but at least the postage service held up. It's a little unnerving to solely wait for snail nail these days..

Congrats on your acceptance, ex_acc! Are you leaning towards BC? Right now I am pretty sure that I will be going if my finaid package works out. They said they will be sending us the finaid info. at the end of the month.

Hello -- I received my acceptance package for M.Ed in Curriculum and Instruction in my mail in Hong Kong this week! I called previously but they were not able to tell me the decision, but at least the postage service held up. It's a little unnerving to solely wait for snail nail these days..

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone received their financial aid packages? I received a letter last week saying the packages would be available online beginning on March 25th but I keep checking the system and nothing is listed. I emailed them yesterday and I tried calling them today but the hold time was 45 minutes! I guess I will try again next week. Sigh.