Syracuse University

GeoFemme

I was lurking in the shadows on this forum, but I guess I'll get it started. I'll be starting at Syracuse Maxwell in the summer, in the Geography and Public Administration programs (although I haven't officially notified them). Anyone else headed there this summer/fall? Anyone planning on going for the prospective students' weekend March 25-28? Looking forward to chatting with other future Syracuse students - feel free to PM me.

Hey,

Im a current undergraduate SU student and grew up in the area. I applied to the public diplomacy program but haven't heard back yet. If you have any questions about SU, the city or anything just let me know.

GO 'CUSE!! number 1 in the nation! (sorry, had to do it)

-mike

• 2 weeks later...

@Multiple Infusions, I'm in the same boat with the graduate assistantship - too good to turn down. As for the prospective student weekend, I know that the Maxwell School is holding events for visiting students' on March 25-27, including a Thursday day of events for MPA student admits and Friday/Saturday events for PhD admits, but I don't know about the other programs outside of Maxwell. I would recommend contacting your department to find out.

I've been accepted with a University Fellowship and would have a difficult time turning down the opportunity. What is prospective students' weekend; is it campus-wide or only in your department?

Hi there guys! I too got a GA fellowship for the MPA/IR dual program that is making Syracuse extremely attractive right now.

I will not be able to attend the Open House, so any feed back on this board will be highly appreciated!!

I've been told that a lot of students live in the Westcott and downtown areas. Not sure if that means mostly undergrads, though... mostly I've been amazed at how much cheaper it will be to live in Syracuse than in San Francisco! There are several threaded discussions on City-data.com about living in Syracuse which are informative to varying degrees. Is anyone else planning on attending the prospective students' events next Thursday?

I was accepted into TWO programs at Newhouse. Please send me a message here, so we can exchange Twitter accounts. I just opened up an account, and would love to meet ANY grad students, including those from Maxwell, Newhouse, and elsewhere. I'm also on Facebook, but I'm really trying to get this Twitter thing going.

Write me!

Hey,

Im a current undergraduate SU student and grew up in the area. I applied to the public diplomacy program but haven't heard back yet. If you have any questions about SU, the city or anything just let me know.

GO 'CUSE!! number 1 in the nation! (sorry, had to do it)

-mike

hi,

I have been accepted in to the M-arch adv placement degree program. I am considering to accept and am attending the graduate reception on april 9th. Can you tell me about the city? How active is the environment on campus? Dormlife? anything that makes Syracuse a must-see school? Thank You

R

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! Looks like I'll be attending Syracuse Maxwell this Fall (MAIR)! I can't wait to get started! Anyone have any advice regarding housing? I'm currently abroad and won't be back till August and I hear most housing close to campus is taken by then. I know there's stuff online, but advice from people who know the area would be great since I'll have to choose my housing blind. Anyone care to chat on facebook? PM me.

Hope to connect with future classmates!

Hey all! Looks like I'll be attending Syracuse Maxwell this Fall (MAIR)! I can't wait to get started! Anyone have any advice regarding housing? I'm currently abroad and won't be back till August and I hear most housing close to campus is taken by then. I know there's stuff online, but advice from people who know the area would be great since I'll have to choose my housing blind. Anyone care to chat on facebook? PM me.

Hope to connect with future classmates!

Hey!

Congrats on making a decision! I will also be going to SU this fall, but in a different department. I already found an apartment and I think I got a pretty good deal with some help from the following sites:

orangehousing.com

oocp.syr.edu/offcampusliving/apartmenthunting/index.htm

Orange housing is really quite good. It has a somewhat minimalist design and really gives pretty reliable descriptions. I used the addresses listed with google maps to see where in Syracuse the places were in relation to the neighborhoods/attractions on the interactive map on the oocp website. Google maps also has a handy tool in beta to be used to calculate approximate times by walking and biking (in low traffic, the times seemed to be a bit on the long side; i.e., what google said would be a 15 min walk took me about 8 mins).

I also looked on campus-side.net and they had some pretty reasonable apartments in good condition. I met the owner, Paul, and he seemed to be a friendly and helpful guy; his previous tenants didn't seem to have any problems with him.

As far as location goes, I'd recommend getting a place in the Westcott, Near Eastside, or University Neighborhoods (all surrounding University Hill on the oocp map). They are all pretty residential (with a few other things in Near Eastside) and decent places to live.

• 2 weeks later...

I mailed in my deposit and will be attending this summer! If any students are around in late May and would like to tour the campus with me (and my brother), send me a message. BTW, how's the apartment hunt going? I found a place that is opening up in August (new, on-campus housing) that is privately managed. I sent in an application but have no idea if I'll be accepted or how many people are applying.

Hi,

I accepted Maxwell last week and will be going into IR. Are there any other IR grad students who are looking for housing?

I'd like to connect with some students and maybe find future roommates, male or female, it doesn't matter to me.

please PM me if you are in the same boat!

thanks!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use