Advice for 2011 Sociology Applicants

jacib

Great idea for a topic, jacib. [An aside: jacib is even cooler in person than on these forums, if ya'll can believe it. We ate cheese fries.]

As a successful applicant this year, here are the things I think made my application work.

(1) RESEARCH EXPERIENCE: I had a boatload of it. I have worked as an RA for three years at a public policy think tank. The work was very relevant to sociology and the skills I gained will make me a really strong RA for some department in grad school. Particularly if you want to do quantitative work, the role of experience with programming and researching cannot be over-emphasized. I believe I would not have been a particularly special applicant without this experience. I may have gotten into a couple of the schools I applied to, but certainly not five. I agree with other posters who have said time off is important - working as an RA can be a great option.

(2) TAKE A GRE COURSE: It's a sad reality that GRE scores matter the way that they do. If you have the financial resources, take a course. It raised my score significantly. (I received a 730 on V and 760 on Q. Certainly people have higher scores than me on this forum, but I am confident that my GRE scores were never the reason my application was rejected from any school, and that peace of mind is well work $1,200 to me.)

(3) DON'T APPLY TO SAFETY SCHOOLS: If you fall in love with all of the top schools, apply. I didn't apply to any safeties, my safety was in numbers. There are so many fall back plans that are wonderful opportunities - the MAPSS program at U Chicago, working for another couple of years, etc. - that there is no reason to "settle" if you know you want to go to a top school. You must, however, be willing to do something other than school and re-apply if needed.

Those are the only nuggets of advice I can think of. This will likely be my last post as well, although you can always DM me if you think I have something specific that would be useful to you. GradCafe was very helpful to me in the application process this year, and I am more than willing to repay this favor to future generations of GC applicants!

On GREs, both my verbal and quant were between 700-750. This meant a 90 plus percentile ranking for verbal and a 80 plus percentile ranking for quant. I only got a 5 (70 plus percentile) for writing. I took my GREs four years ago and didn't bother to retake it for the latest rounds of admission, partly because I had no time, but also because I wanted to test my hypothesis that GREs only matter insofar as they aren't so bad that your application immediately gets thrown into the 'out' box. What's more important are your SOP, writing sample and references.

Having got into my top choices so far, I can happily report that the hypothesis is probably right.

Something I wish I had done was consider ranking more heavily. I applied schools only by fit and ended up with acceptances from one top-10 program and several top-30 programs. The institutional resources of the top-10 program vastly exceed the other programs, and the difference in terms of placement is huge as well. I really wish I had applied only to one "safety" school and picked some other schools ranked in the top-15 and top-20 that have good placement and more real world cachet. Especially privates with strong funding support for grads -- Yale, Columbia, Duke for instance. A lot of these programs are trying to move up as well, so the landscape might dramatically change in terms of hiring, funding, placement, etc. And you never know -- your research interests may change dramatically from even the time you apply to the time you are accepted (which happened to me).

PS. echo on the "High GREs mean squat." I had a 1500 combined and a 6.0AW and wasn't nearly as successful as the majority of people I have met at open houses, etc. And the highest ranked school I was admitted to told me no one on the adcomm cared about them except as a kind of curiosity (Hey, these scores are really high!).

I think everyone here has provided very helpful advice. To avoid redundancy, I'll just say two things:

1. START EARLY! This is a stressful process, and you want to have as much time as you can.

2. Find a system that helps you keep track of everything. I used a spreadsheet with deadlines, app fees, LoRs, etc. it helped a lot. Staying organized was key during the most hectic times.

• 1 month later...

I would caution students from using identifying information (names) as their grad cafe names. Grad students in the current programs troll these boards, and we know what you're saying before/after you show up. Just be smart about using the internet. GradCafe is a great resource, but I think people are a bit loose with some of the information they share here.

I would also echo what everyone else has been saying about GRE scores. GRE scores seem to only really matter if they are low. If you know you aren't good at taking tests like the GRE, take a class and take it early and often to increase your score. Just remember, regression to the mean! If you scored well the first time, don't retake it, because it's not likely you will score higher.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my basic profile:

UGRAD GPA: 3.87, top liberal arts college, science major. Excellent reccs, but this was... many years ago (do these reccs even still count?)

MS GPA: Officially ungraded, but something like 3.7, I should actually calculate that. A top MS program in environment. Good reccs (I think?)

GRE: 780 Q, 620 V, 5.5 AW

Lots of work experience in policy, writing, etc for a range of employers, some well-known in my sub-field.

What do you think? How do these stats bode with schools like: Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, Clark, Berkeley ESPM.... wherever you applied.

Your more recent letters from professors in your MS program will probably count more than those from your undergrad institution. Do you have anyone from sociology or environmental sociology writing you a letter?

A higher verbal GRE score (and thus a higher overall GRE score) will help you secure fellowships. You can find lots of study materials and support at the Test Magic forum (http://www.urch.com/forums/gre/).

I'm not sure that Chicago would be a good fit for your interests. I would look up highly cited environmental sociology articles and find out who are the movers and shakers in this field and where they are currently teaching. Also include schools with a concentration in environmental sociology on your list. This past season I was admitted and waitlisted by schools that fit in terms of concentrations AND potential faculty mentors available.

Edited by newday123

• 5 months later...

*bump* I reread this today and I think it is still really useful, hard-won information. I hope you 2011 people find the our (the 2010 people's) advice useful! You guys should especially take note of the GRE conversation on the second page, I think more people need to read that before asking "Are my stats any good??" 2011ers, come March you should make your one of these (linking to this one) and that way we can expand and perpetuate available knowledge (we're all wannabe researchers, after all).

• 2 weeks later...

I will add since I am procrastinating on writing a paper for strat.

VISIT!!! I almost went to a great program in a part of the country that would have made me miserable because I almost didn't visit. I did visit and left with such a deep feeling of sadness. The next week I visited the program that I only applied to on a whim and only visited because it was an excuse to visit a place I had never been. I fell in deep and serious like with it and am now attending. Although fit matters, and rankings matter, I chose location over both of those. I have a husband and kids that came along for the ride, so I know that isn't the case for everyone. But the visit is definitely important.

STUDY THAT GRE!! To echo jacib, although it can't get you in, it can certainly keep you out. I had letters of recommendation from really well known faculty at two different schools, a pretty solid record and SOP, and I was rejected at all my top 20 schools. I was able to get into 30-50 level schools, but I am sure that my GRE was a negative mark on my app. But with that said, these schools are INSANELY competitive. Think about choosing 5 or 6 applicants from a pool of over 100. And a good chunk of them are going to be really really qualified.

MAKE GOOD CONTACTS. Use your network, find out if anyone you know knows people you want to work with, ask them to send letters on your behalf, name drop when you are emailing and definitely email the people you want to work with.

DON't STRESS. Ha ha!

I will add since I am procrastinating on writing a paper for strat.

VISIT!!! I almost went to a great program in a part of the country that would have made me miserable because I almost didn't visit. I did visit and left with such a deep feeling of sadness. The next week I visited the program that I only applied to on a whim and only visited because it was an excuse to visit a place I had never been. I fell in deep and serious like with it and am now attending. Although fit matters, and rankings matter, I chose location over both of those. I have a husband and kids that came along for the ride, so I know that isn't the case for everyone. But the visit is definitely important.

STUDY THAT GRE!! To echo jacib, although it can't get you in, it can certainly keep you out. I had letters of recommendation from really well known faculty at two different schools, a pretty solid record and SOP, and I was rejected at all my top 20 schools. I was able to get into 30-50 level schools, but I am sure that my GRE was a negative mark on my app. But with that said, these schools are INSANELY competitive. Think about choosing 5 or 6 applicants from a pool of over 100. And a good chunk of them are going to be really really qualified.

MAKE GOOD CONTACTS. Use your network, find out if anyone you know knows people you want to work with, ask them to send letters on your behalf, name drop when you are emailing and definitely email the people you want to work with.

DON't STRESS. Ha ha!

If you don't mind me asking, what were your GRE scores?

Sure- round one was V-600 Q-410 (!!) AW-5.5

Round two was about, hmm, maybe 5 weeks later V-600, Q-590, AW- 5.5

I applied to one top 10 program, 2 top 20 programs, 3 30-50s and one 50-60

I was rejected outright and early at the top 10 program. Waitlisted at one of the top 20, but didn't get off the wl, rejected at the other. Accepted to all three of the 30-50, one with a fellowship, the other two were off the waitlists. And I was rejected at the bottom program.

Good credentials, RA with someone who is well known in the field, TA position from that same person, three conference presentations, three (and in one case four) good solid lors, a very well-thought ripped apart, put back together, peer reviewed, writing center director reviewed, faculty reviewed sop. And one sucky GRE score and one mediocre one.

Sure- round one was V-600 Q-410 (!!) AW-5.5

Round two was about, hmm, maybe 5 weeks later V-600, Q-590, AW- 5.5

I applied to one top 10 program, 2 top 20 programs, 3 30-50s and one 50-60

I was rejected outright and early at the top 10 program. Waitlisted at one of the top 20, but didn't get off the wl, rejected at the other. Accepted to all three of the 30-50, one with a fellowship, the other two were off the waitlists. And I was rejected at the bottom program.

Good credentials, RA with someone who is well known in the field, TA position from that same person, three conference presentations, three (and in one case four) good solid lors, a very well-thought ripped apart, put back together, peer reviewed, writing center director reviewed, faculty reviewed sop. And one sucky GRE score and one mediocre one.

Thanks so much for being so forthcoming and informative! I'm an anxiety-ridden wreck right now about the whole process, and of course, have that fear that I won't get in anywhere because it truly is competitive, but this thread has definitely helped the process be a little bit smoother. So thanks to you & everyone else who has posted here!

I'm applying to several sociology Ph.D. programs over the next few weeks, and I'm freaking out a bit about identifying schools where I am competitive. I'm looking to focus on Labor Movements and Occupations/Work with a sprinkling of education and technology.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.73 overall and 3.89 in sociology. I was awarded "Outstanding Sociology Major" for 2010 and I also received the "Sociology Service" award for contributions to the department. My GRE scores were 660 verbal, and 720 quantitative -- I haven't heard back yet on my AW. I've presented at two conferences, but my presentations were on using technology as a teaching tool rather than a specific topic in sociology. I've been an undergraduate associate working as a TA for the past year, and I also will be graduating with departmental honors. I've secured three letters of recommendation from professors that know me really well and that I've worked with in the past year.

I also have 7 years of full time experience working in IT. This has all been in higher education working with college students. I've been coordinating student IT phone support for a large university with 15k students, and managing about 30 student employees. This carries with it a couple industry specific certifications that are probably irrelevant, some project management experience, and a bunch of operations management experience. This all kind of boils down to "I can fix computers if they break," which I am hoping works in my favor.

Based on these stats and work experience, do schools like UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, IU, or Ohio State seem reasonable? I'm also thinking about applying to Cornell as a reach school.

I'm applying to several sociology Ph.D. programs over the next few weeks, and I'm freaking out a bit about identifying schools where I am competitive. I'm looking to focus on Labor Movements and Occupations/Work with a sprinkling of education and technology.

My undergraduate GPA was 3.73 overall and 3.89 in sociology. I was awarded "Outstanding Sociology Major" for 2010 and I also received the "Sociology Service" award for contributions to the department. My GRE scores were 660 verbal, and 720 quantitative -- I haven't heard back yet on my AW. I've presented at two conferences, but my presentations were on using technology as a teaching tool rather than a specific topic in sociology. I've been an undergraduate associate working as a TA for the past year, and I also will be graduating with departmental honors. I've secured three letters of recommendation from professors that know me really well and that I've worked with in the past year.

I also have 7 years of full time experience working in IT. This has all been in higher education working with college students. I've been coordinating student IT phone support for a large university with 15k students, and managing about 30 student employees. This carries with it a couple industry specific certifications that are probably irrelevant, some project management experience, and a bunch of operations management experience. This all kind of boils down to "I can fix computers if they break," which I am hoping works in my favor.

Based on these stats and work experience, do schools like UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, IU, or Ohio State seem reasonable? I'm also thinking about applying to Cornell as a reach school.

Completely off topic but would it bother you if I asked how old you are?

I think your stats are just fine for the programs you are applying to. Obviously, many decisions are based on your SOP, writing sample, LORs, and whether faculty think you are a fit for their program. Nonetheless, your "hard" stats and background seem to make you competitive at these schools. Best of luck!

I think your stats are just fine for the programs you are applying to. Obviously, many decisions are based on your SOP, writing sample, LORs, and whether faculty think you are a fit for their program. Nonetheless, your "hard" stats and background seem to make you competitive at these schools. Best of luck!

Okay just wondering because I've been going through this age difference realization that everyone in phd programs are in their late 20's and that there is the secret age requirement that no one tells me about me being 23 starting to freak over it kind of like you must be this tall kind of thing

Thanks my first app is due at the end of the month and every little thing is stressing me out plus I have GRE retake in 2 days

Don't worry; at my school we rarely have people straight out of undergrad (maybe 10-20%. something like that) but still the majority of first years are between 22-26. 23, especially with a masters, seems to me perfectly normal. But then again, outside of that range is normal too: two women in my cohort are 30+. I'm kind of guessing because age isn't something that we've talked about all that much. Age, as the say, ain't nothing but a number.

On that note, good luck on the GRE! While you're taking it, keep in mind that I did almost perfectly on it and the whole time I was sure I was just screwing it up big time. I didn't want to look at my score at the end, I was that sure I had made major and repeated mistakes in both sections. What I'm saying is, don't worry about how you're doing while you're taking it because you're going to have just no idea; just answer the questions one at a time. I found it useful to do a few "warm up questions" in the waiting room, just to get my brain working.

Edited by jacib