Anyone waiting for Yale FES result here?

<br /><br /><br />

Commenting on the Yale FES curriculum, is it just me, or does it seem distressingly unfocused? Or at least the website seems to be lacking information. Principally, I feel the lack of a core curriculum that builds on itself and no strict requirements for developing focal areas seem to be real weaknesses. For instance, Yale's MEM degree requires taking 1 course from each of 7 general areas (e.g. Earth/Climate Science, Ecosystems & Biodiversity, Policy/Law, Info/Data Analysis) but I don't see how they ensure that these courses actually complement each other. It seems to me that Yale FES has tons of courses that sound really interesting, but they seem a bit biased toward the social sciences and they don't seem to logically build on each other. In my opinion that would encourage dabbling in lots of areas without truly become skilled in any of them. Maybe I'm wrong...does somebody have an inside view of Yale FES?

I'm sure with the Yale brand name you're guaranteed a job, but how skilled will you be? Yale FES has offered me a great financial package, nearly double what I got from Duke's Nicholas School, but I don't see that Yale would really make me an effective practitioner and scientist. It would probably, however, help me have lots of interesting ideas on a variety of environmental topics. Is that worth two years of grad school, even if it's cheap? Granted, I've only met one alum of Yale FES's MEM degree. But he fulfilled my perception of the theoretical, bubble-bound environmental manager at a big NGO (The Nature Conservancy) who despite all his ideas and supposed training, doesn't seem to have field skills nor the adaptability to respond to realities on the ground. But like I said, just one guy I know, not a statistical sample.

The forestry dean at uni here is an FES alum, and he says the Yale/Duke programs are top in the country. I think you may have missed something: you take one course from each of 7, but then you can specialize in one of those if you so choose, or you can stay unfocused if you so choose. It's all in what you make of it I think.

what do you mean by 'lack of field skills/adaptability'? Curious now. :)

I'll PM those who requested info on finances... :)

Edited by kabutar

The forestry dean at uni here is an FES alum, and he says the Yale/Duke programs are top in the country. I think you may have missed something: you take one course from each of 7, but then you can specialize in one of those if you so choose, or you can stay unfocused if you so choose. It's all in what you make of it I think.

what do you mean by 'lack of field skills/adaptability'? Curious now. :)

I'll PM those who requested info on finances... :)

Yeah, perhaps I'm overreacting, especially considering I have no inside knowledge on Yale FES. I think in picking grad schools it's much like romance...those that don't respond so generously to your affections are the ones that continue to evoke your interest and desire, while those that do respond openly and generously make you more apt to discover flaws, whether real or imagined.

I'll be happy to share what my financial aid award was, but after I've made my admission decision...

Anyway, with respect to this particular Yale MEM alum, I feel it might be a bit classless to criticize him, albeit anonymously, on the internet. But since I already mentioned TNC: this individual was hired as a regional program manager in a relatively poor, developing country where I was working in Peace Corps. I basically saw him as representing the typical top-down conservation development approach in the NGO machine typical of failed approaches and lacking understanding of local conditions. Very good at running workshops on environmental themes, but having basically no relevance or influence on the decision-making of local governments or communities. The ivory tower, but from a third-world development perspective. But hey, he was new to the job...maybe he has already adapted.

But look, I was living in a rural village, seeing local perspectives, relying on rickety public transport, and not having a lot of extra cash, and when you see these conservation NGO guys roll in with their SUV's saying they're going to solve problems, you just can't help but be skeptical. Besides, they monopolize so much of the conservation funding that comes from rich countries, and 80% pays their salaries.

Are there any US students who have just been admitted to FES who wouldn't mind sharing their financial aid offers? You can PM me if you don't want to be public about it.

As a prospective Fall 2011 applicant, I would really appreciate this information. The financial aid office only gave me very general information. I have a lot of undergrad debt, so I only want to get my hopes up at schools that are likely to be affordable for me wink.gif.

Specifically- I want to know how much scholarship aid US students are getting at Yale right now. It is quite frustrating to me that this information is not public or online somewhere. Most of the kids applying to SIPA & other government affairs kinds of programs are sharing it right and left on Grad Cafe message boards, but it's really hard to find info about FES.

I wonder how much scholarship aid a US-student can reasonably hope for? The financial aid office made it seem that all admitted students with similar aid needs are given approximately the same amount, but I want to know how much that amount is likely to be!

thank you so much!!

Edited by Chuck

Yeah, perhaps I'm overreacting, especially considering I have no inside knowledge on Yale FES. I think in picking grad schools it's much like romance...those that don't respond so generously to your affections are the ones that continue to evoke your interest and desire, while those that do respond openly and generously make you more apt to discover flaws, whether real or imagined.

I'll be happy to share what my financial aid award was, but after I've made my admission decision...

Anyway, with respect to this particular Yale MEM alum, I feel it might be a bit classless to criticize him, albeit anonymously, on the internet. But since I already mentioned TNC: this individual was hired as a regional program manager in a relatively poor, developing country where I was working in Peace Corps. I basically saw him as representing the typical top-down conservation development approach in the NGO machine typical of failed approaches and lacking understanding of local conditions. Very good at running workshops on environmental themes, but having basically no relevance or influence on the decision-making of local governments or communities. The ivory tower, but from a third-world development perspective. But hey, he was new to the job...maybe he has already adapted.

But look, I was living in a rural village, seeing local perspectives, relying on rickety public transport, and not having a lot of extra cash, and when you see these conservation NGO guys roll in with their SUV's saying they're going to solve problems, you just can't help but be skeptical. Besides, they monopolize so much of the conservation funding that comes from rich countries, and 80% pays their salaries.

OK, now I see what you mean. However, I'm not sure this is a problem with FES in particular but more with Western education in general. eg. I doubt you'd have much better luck with an MPP grad who would probably be used to throwing numbers around - I could see locals being overrun by statistics that mean absolutely nothing to them. Also, this sort of thing is a problem even in developed countries - eg it's easy to say NO LOGGING! but what about the towns and communities that rely on logging?

that being said, I don't think NGO heads are paid a whole lot anyway, so I can understand them trying to get a good salary... lol.

• 1 month later...

To everyone who posted on this thread:

How about posting a summary of your applications for nervous prospective students like me?

Plee-Eee-AAase.

I really want to know what I should be focusing on the most this year. GPA? GRE? Research? Work experience? I have a bunch of balls up in the air right now and i don't know what to keep juggling!

Applying for MEM 2011.

• 5 months later...

Can you let us know if you find out any info on financial aid?

Thanks!

Are there any US students who have just been admitted to FES who wouldn't mind sharing their financial aid offers? You can PM me if you don't want to be public about it.

As a prospective Fall 2011 applicant, I would really appreciate this information. The financial aid office only gave me very general information. I have a lot of undergrad debt, so I only want to get my hopes up at schools that are likely to be affordable for me wink.gif.

Specifically- I want to know how much scholarship aid US students are getting at Yale right now. It is quite frustrating to me that this information is not public or online somewhere. Most of the kids applying to SIPA & other government affairs kinds of programs are sharing it right and left on Grad Cafe message boards, but it's really hard to find info about FES.

I wonder how much scholarship aid a US-student can reasonably hope for? The financial aid office made it seem that all admitted students with similar aid needs are given approximately the same amount, but I want to know how much that amount is likely to be!

thank you so much!!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, Anyone waiting for the results of the Fall 2011 application to Yale FES?

I applied to MF and I am hoping for an answer in mid march...

Just trying to make the wait a little bit less stressfull :)

Hi Pablo Peña! I have applied to the MESc programme at Yale FES. Equally anxious to know the outcomes in mid-March. Do you know whether the funding info will be coming at the same time with the admission decision?

Hey Fred, yep I think so... I believe I read somewhere that that info will come along, not sure though. Did you apply to somewhere else?... I didn't so I am kinda hoping for this one to happen.

Hey Pablo (I hope I have picked your first name right :)! Yes I also applied to SNRE UMich, Oxford, Univ. Washington, ESPM Berkeley, and some others. I have got several admittances but I guess I am most into FES. They have great programs and fabulous connections with external entities, both private and public. I am applying to the MESc programme. What about you? Hope the good things happen to both of us and other peers who might be anxiously waiting as well!

Hey Pablo (I hope I have picked your first name right :)! Yes I also applied to SNRE UMich, Oxford, Univ. Washington, ESPM Berkeley, and some others. I have got several admittances but I guess I am most into FES. They have great programs and fabulous connections with external entities, both private and public. I am applying to the MESc programme. What about you? Hope the good things happen to both of us and other peers who might be anxiously waiting as well!

You got it right. Are you also an Intl student?

I applied to MF. I am kinda worried about my GRE (V: 520, Q: 630 and 4.0). I know its only one more criteria but I am guessing its an important one... How about you, can you share your GRE grades?

Hi Pablo! Yes I am an international student but I have completed my junior year in United States as an exchange student. GRE is only one factor among many other equally important ones. My scores are V 630 Q 800 AW 5.0. I have read from the intro book of FES that previous applicants say the personal statement carries much weight, and I guess even higher than the test scores. Good luck to us!

Fred! Have you heard back from UCB ESPM?

BTW Yale FES decisions are probably coming out March 18th!

Thanks for sharing surprisecake! I have responded to your question about ESPM. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing surprisecake! I have responded to your question about ESPM. Fingers crossed!

Hi surprisecake. Did you get any heads up on the decisions date? I guess the 18th makes sense since its the end of the week and the email I got mentioned 'around the 15th'.

anyone who is anxious waiting the decision? kind of worried not establishing any connection with faculty in FES~any of u contacted faculties?is it very important in app?finger crossed~

anyone who is anxious waiting the decision? kind of worried not establishing any connection with faculty in FES~any of u contacted faculties?is it very important in app?finger crossed~

Me (Surprisecake mentioned we should wait till march 18th for FES results to be sent out). No. Don't Know. Fingers crossed. Have you guys heard from the other programs you applied to?

Me (Surprisecake mentioned we should wait till march 18th for FES results to be sent out). No. Don't Know. Fingers crossed. Have you guys heard from the other programs you applied to?

The email stated around the 15th. Hopefully that means no later than the 18th. Getting anxious here ;)

why would they not email when the decisions are out???

They probably have but I guess it takes some time for all of them to get delivered. I guess that they first put the status update in each applicant's application webpage and then they sent the massive email, in that order.

Since there are lots of emails to be sent (if the data of 2010 is correct then more than 500 applicants each year) they use email software that sends an specified amount of emails per hour so the server doesn't go down, or perhaps they have policies on sending massive email at nights... (these is what they do at my office based in a developing country :P).

Dunno, just guessing here...

I am happy but I won't stop the anxiety completely until I get that email!