UCI ( University of California, Irvine )

Envengr

Hi all,

Did anyone get admission offers from UCI?

If so, is anyone going to accept the offer? What kind of housing options are you going to look for?

I am currently deciding on if I should accept the offer, which comes with full fundings plus a minimum guaranteed stipend.

What has been bugging me a lot is the living expenses associated with it, as I have no clear idea of how horrible it could get.

While some of my friends have been encouraging me to accept the offer, many have been condemning the idea- stating that there's no way I could live a life with the current stipend I am being offered.

I certainly would love to accept the offer rightaway, but found that rashing to make a decision ended up with more cons than pros.

Does anyone who has an insight to life @ UCI mind sharing his/her experience here? Something like a rough estimate of monthly expense there, with or without car, miscellanous spendings, and etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi all,

Did anyone get admission offers from UCI?

If so, is anyone going to accept the offer? What kind of housing options are you going to look for?

I am currently deciding on if I should accept the offer, which comes with full fundings plus a minimum guaranteed stipend.

What has been bugging me a lot is the living expenses associated with it, as I have no clear idea of how horrible it could get.

While some of my friends have been encouraging me to accept the offer, many have been condemning the idea- stating that there's no way I could live a life with the current stipend I am being offered.

I certainly would love to accept the offer rightaway, but found that rashing to make a decision ended up with more cons than pros.

Does anyone who has an insight to life @ UCI mind sharing his/her experience here? Something like a rough estimate of monthly expense there, with or without car, miscellanous spendings, and etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

I live in graduate student housing at UCI. I pay $860/month for a 2 bedroom apartment all to myself. I don't pay electricity, gas, sewer, trash, water, or cable.. this comes gratis from the university. (This is why you should try to live in Verano Place).

Compared to any other university, UCI offers the best bang for the buck in terms of on-campus housing.

There is a bar on campus (10 minutes walking distance from Verano Place) with about thirty QUALITY beers on tap.. cheap pints and pitchers during happy hour (pitchers are minipitchers though.. like 3 pints).

There is an Albertson's grocery store across the street (you can walk there) and a Trader Joes as well. There's an independent/art-film movie theater about ten minutes walking distance. If you don't want to leave the campus area, you can get by without a car. You can get anywhere in Irvine in 30 mins by bicycle.

Send me any specific questions you might have.

I live in graduate student housing at UCI. I pay $860/month for a 2 bedroom apartment all to myself. I don't pay electricity, gas, sewer, trash, water, or cable.. this comes gratis from the university. (This is why you should try to live in Verano Place).

Compared to any other university, UCI offers the best bang for the buck in terms of on-campus housing.

There is a bar on campus (10 minutes walking distance from Verano Place) with about thirty QUALITY beers on tap.. cheap pints and pitchers during happy hour (pitchers are minipitchers though.. like 3 pints).

There is an Albertson's grocery store across the street (you can walk there) and a Trader Joes as well. There's an independent/art-film movie theater about ten minutes walking distance. If you don't want to leave the campus area, you can get by without a car. You can get anywhere in Irvine in 30 mins by bicycle.

Send me any specific questions you might have.

All of these are very helpful information! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it a lot.

If you don't mind, could you please answer some of my questions? :

I read about the guarantee graduate housing for newly-admitted PhD students (I'm one of them) and happened to found some very attractive rates for rooms at Verano Place.

It would be really wonderful if I can reserve one of these rooms as they are all relatively cheaper than floor plans in other apartments. Is it advisable for me to apply for the guarantee housing ASAP?

Does the space fills up real fast? I learn from Verano Place's website that they will be starting to receive application for the FALL 2010 starting from March 1st...

On the other hand, do you think it's hard for you to survive if you just have 15k for yourself per year (from stipends for 9 months)?

I am thinking to keep my car, but maybe it might just be too much considering the road tax, plate registration, and insurance i have to maintain (very significant change as I am from a small college town).

Thank you so much for your help. I think i just have too much questions that i have in my head that I can't recall them all at once! :P

I might just have to visit the campus just so i can feel a feel about how the life is there at Irvine.

Thanks again!

All of these are very helpful information! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it a lot.

If you don't mind, could you please answer some of my questions? :

I read about the guarantee graduate housing for newly-admitted PhD students (I'm one of them) and happened to found some very attractive rates for rooms at Verano Place.

It would be really wonderful if I can reserve one of these rooms as they are all relatively cheaper than floor plans in other apartments. Is it advisable for me to apply for the guarantee housing ASAP?

Does the space fills up real fast? I learn from Verano Place's website that they will be starting to receive application for the FALL 2010 starting from March 1st...

On the other hand, do you think it's hard for you to survive if you just have 15k for yourself per year (from stipends for 9 months)?

I am thinking to keep my car, but maybe it might just be too much considering the road tax, plate registration, and insurance i have to maintain (very significant change as I am from a small college town).

Thank you so much for your help. I think i just have too much questions that i have in my head that I can't recall them all at once! :P

I might just have to visit the campus just so i can feel a feel about how the life is there at Irvine.

Thanks again!

If you're sharing an apartment with someone, you should be okay. I just got back from a good Friday night at the campus bar.. spent about $50, but there were about ten of us who were splitting drinks. What is your background? Your grammar sounds very Turkish.

It is hard to live off campus with just a stipend. You may be able to find tutoring jobs (some pay up to $60/hr) for local rich kids, but that's not guaranteed..

My advice is, if there's any way you can afford to keep your car, keep it! I spent the first 20 years of my life in Laguna Niguel (10 minutes south of Irvine) and I can tell you, the area has terrible public transportation, and most things are too far spread out to walk or bike. It's very difficult to get around without a car, and if you're going to be spending 5-6 years living in Irvine, you'll want to be able to go other places. Orange County can get pretty boring (though it has fun things) so chances are you'll also want to drive to Los Angeles or San Diego sometimes (each is about an hour's drive away).

Incidentally, I live outside of California now but was offered admission into a PhD program at UCI, so I'll be visiting on the 11th. They haven't told me anything about funding yet, which is making me a bit anxious..

Edited by sibil

If you're sharing an apartment with someone, you should be okay. I just got back from a good Friday night at the campus bar.. spent about $50, but there were about ten of us who were splitting drinks. What is your background? Your grammar sounds very Turkish.

It is hard to live off campus with just a stipend. You may be able to find tutoring jobs (some pay up to $60/hr) for local rich kids, but that's not guaranteed..

Haha. This is so funny! I'm not anywhere near Turkish, but from Chinese descent.

Are you from around California?

I don't think it's a good idea to live off-campus during my first year too. Think i should familiarize myself with the place first...

Tutoring local rich kids sounds like the way to go! Did you happen to tutor some? I prefer to be involved in research works if it's possible, even though it might not be that well-paid...

Do you mind if i ask about you major? How do you like it @ UCI?

My advice is, if there's any way you can afford to keep your car, keep it! I spent the first 20 years of my life in Laguna Niguel (10 minutes south of Irvine) and I can tell you, the area has terrible public transportation, and most things are too far spread out to walk or bike. It's very difficult to get around without a car, and if you're going to be spending 5-6 years living in Irvine, you'll want to be able to go other places. Orange County can get pretty boring (though it has fun things) so chances are you'll also want to drive to Los Angeles or San Diego sometimes (each is about an hour's drive away).

Incidentally, I live outside of California now but was offered admission into a PhD program at UCI, so I'll be visiting on the 11th. They haven't told me anything about funding yet, which is making me a bit anxious..

I wanted to think like that too, but I think it's best that i do some research on the typical cost of maintaining a car here (I'm really sick of meeting tight financial obligations!). Most places in CA don't have the so-called public transportation I think, that's what make it so "special". I have to admit that Irvine's location is one of the most attractive reasons for me to go there, but it's meaningless if I can't utilize it just like what you said. At the same time, I also wonder if doing PhD-level works would allow me to travel around that often. Coz if not, I would just be paying all the car expense (insurance and such) without using it...

I wish you all the best on your visitation day! I just received the invitation two days ago, and am unable to make it (due to the crazy expensive airfare 500+)...

I believe you will get the fundings, since you're admitted into a PhD program and most PhD students get fundings! Good luck!

Haha. This is so funny! I'm not anywhere near Turkish, but from Chinese descent.

Are you from around California?

I don't think it's a good idea to live off-campus during my first year too. Think i should familiarize myself with the place first...

Tutoring local rich kids sounds like the way to go! Did you happen to tutor some? I prefer to be involved in research works if it's possible, even though it might not be that well-paid...

Do you mind if i ask about you major? How do you like it @ UCI?

I'm an undergrad in chemistry here, finishing up this year and going either to Boston or Northern California for my PhD. Irvine is a great school.. a little quiet, but the academics are great. We have an awesome park and a bunch of cafes/places to eat on campus, so it's not a bad campus to hang out at and study.

Obviously you're not looking for a crazy party-scene (or you wouldn't be going to grad school), but there is stuff to do about six miles away in Newport Beach.

You'll want a car if you want to leave the campus area, and I recommend you do bring one; however, it is certainly possible to live without one here. I've put about 300 miles on my car in the last two years.

I'm an undergrad in chemistry here, finishing up this year and going either to Boston or Northern California for my PhD. Irvine is a great school.. a little quiet, but the academics are great. We have an awesome park and a bunch of cafes/places to eat on campus, so it's not a bad campus to hang out at and study.

Obviously you're not looking for a crazy party-scene (or you wouldn't be going to grad school), but there is stuff to do about six miles away in Newport Beach.

You'll want a car if you want to leave the campus area, and I recommend you do bring one; however, it is certainly possible to live without one here. I've put about 300 miles on my car in the last two years.

UCI is a great place for chemistry majors I heard! Way to go!

I noticed that I was being dumb by asking if Irvine is a good school... In fact, it's my first choice. But I received admission offers from several other schools too, and that kinda makes me vacillate among them...

I'm certainly not a party person, you're absolutely right on that account. But I do love the fact that there're beaches nearby Irvine!

Just like what you've pointed out- I really like the idea of bringing my car down with me, but maintaining all the expenses associated with it (car insurance and such) without using it much is not a wise idea either...

I'm getting my bachelor degree in Civil Engineering too this May. Think I've spent too much time in the South I guess, and yet I'm moving to the southern part of the West. hah...

Boston seems to be a good place to live. I actually got admitted into UMass- Amherst too, which is about 90 minutes to Boston. MA is a perfect place for scholars, but CA's location is too tempting!

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad UCI won't let people with dogs stay in their housing. Sigh. I'm seriously considering moving to an adjacent (perhaps more affordable and slightly more lively) town like Long Beach and commuting. Anyone ever lived in that area? Is the commute do-able? If you're living off of, say, a $15-16k UCI stipend and need a car to commute, what would be a safe rent cap? I haven't had a car in 6 years, and will be paying for car insurance and car payments and all that adult stuff now for the first time.

Too bad UCI won't let people with dogs stay in their housing. Sigh. I'm seriously considering moving to an adjacent (perhaps more affordable and slightly more lively) town like Long Beach and commuting. Anyone ever lived in that area? Is the commute do-able? If you're living off of, say, a $15-16k UCI stipend and need a car to commute, what would be a safe rent cap? I haven't had a car in 6 years, and will be paying for car insurance and car payments and all that adult stuff now for the first time.

If your dog is prescribed to you for a nervous or anxiety disorder (hint), you can live with your dog in Grad Student housing. I have several friends with small dogs on campus.

I'm not sure how affordable long beach is, but the commute would definitely suck if you had early classes. When there is not traffic the drive is about 30 minutes. But keep in mind, a lot of people work in Long Beach.

Irvine is a boring town but you could always go to Newport to have some fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I just accepted my offer in the English department. So excited!

I actually do not think commuting will be that bad. I live in the area and drive to Irvine fairly often. Traffic is really only terrible around rush hour. If you have a class that ends at 5, plan on eating dinner in Irvine and you will be fine.

• 2 months later...

For those of you considering whether or not to keep a car...you might want to ditch it: you can always do zipcar (http://www.zipcar.com/uci/) and from what I've seen, plenty of OTHER PhD students have cars and they go out together a lot, so it's just as easy to hitch a ride (if you are new to the area, who else are you going to hang out with?) :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use