Fordham

Venetia

I didn't see a listing for Fordham in this forum, so I decided to start one. I'm still waiting on a couple of decisions, but I think I will probably be at Fordham come August, studying English (Medieval concentration). Is anyone else heading there this fall, and why did you end up choosing Fordham? I like 'em for their strong faculty in Medieval Studies and their small program. I also kind of love the Jesuits, and the location isn't too shabby!

I didn't see a listing for Fordham in this forum, so I decided to start one. I'm still waiting on a couple of decisions, but I think I will probably be at Fordham come August, studying English (Medieval concentration). Is anyone else heading there this fall, and why did you end up choosing Fordham? I like 'em for their strong faculty in Medieval Studies and their small program. I also kind of love the Jesuits, and the location isn't too shabby!

That's GREAT news, Venetia! You can't do much better than Fordham for medieval studies, they're very well-known for it. Fordham was absolutely on my short list (I just wouldn't take the subject test in the GRE...lol) They're particularly amazing for what most English folks call "Anglo-Norman" but what they have re-named "French of England" - they have a whole program specifically devoted to it. I would absolutely endorse that program!!!!

Hey friends,

Just got my acceptance email / call a few days ago, and I think I will end up at Fordham as well. I may even run into you Venetia, as I'll be there hoping to do Classics/ Med studies. I chose Fordham for the exact same reasons you did (Strong faculty in my area of interest, small program, good opportunities to take classes at CUNY and NYU)...

Does anyone know if they have graduate student apartments that are even cheaper than your good ol' apt. in the bronx? Cos that would be awesome.

-S

Hi All,

I've been offered a place on Fordham's English program. While I know it's not "ranked" very highly, I can honestly write that I'm really excited about the program and think I will accept. The faculty I have had contact with have been helpful and enthusiastic and the department's faculty in general (as already mentioned) seem really strong in their respective areas. The courses on offer for the coming year look fascinating and overall I feel I'm a good fit for the program. I will be turning down the offer of a doing a Ph.D at a higher ranked institution, but feel comfortable doing this because (among other reasons) I have confidence that the faculty at Fordham will offer me the help I need to improve my writing and refine my interests. There are however a few more things I need to do and research before I make my final decision.

I have visited the campus and it looks lovely, and more importantly the library seems great.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about affordable student accommodation.

Venetia, I'm not a Medievalist, but I hope I can get onto the "Medieval and the Monstrous" class - from reading the course description, I think I'd love it. If you want to compare notes on the English dept PM me.

Womble

Hi, all! I am also in at Fordham, and it's currently at the top of my list as well (though I have a little thinking to do yet). Like Venetia, I'm in the Medieval portion of the English department.

In response to Soul invictus' question about student housing, from what I can tell, living on campus is at best about the same price as getting one's own place, and at worst, much more expensive (particularly if you get roommates). I was just scanning craigslist, and found that if people can handle roommates(or find them between now and August), they can get 2-3 bedroom places within walking distance of the school for $1000-1500. I don't know the neighborhoods at all, though, so I can't vouch for the cleanliness/savoriness of such places, but at least they are there.

Hurrah, other Fordham people! For a little while there I thought I was going to be a cohort of one!

Womble- that 'Medieval and the Monstrous' class does sound legendary, so I might see you there :P

And re housing- in the admissions email (the official one) there was a link to their graduate housing, on Arthur Avenue. Don't know if it's any good though. Safety shouldn't be too much of a problem over there (within reason). I read somewhere that Little Italy in the Bronx is considered one of the safest areas in NYC!

Word. Fordham is ranked 3, I believe, in med studies. Getting on, I am about to go there for a visit and would like to start organizing my move. Anyone know where to start looking for apts? Other than craigslist? ( I have a phobia).

Edited by Soul Invictus

through the 'vine. A prof in my department proclaimed that the top 3 for Medieval Studies were Toronto, Harvard and Fordham in that order. That was also confirmed by one of the Medievalists in the German dept. Sorry if that was misleading or if you thought there was some official org. whose site i was quoting. There is, tomyknowledge, no official ranking for Medieval Studies departments / programs. Probably for the very reason why I had to write /programs.

Re housing- the admissions pack said that after the offer was accepted I could use some sort of sexy housing website that Fordham hosts that lists both houses and potential flatmates. But it also said that stuff wouldn't begin to pop up on that til like June. Apart from that, what about newspapers? And aren't there other flatshare websites apart from craigslist?

Of my last three residences (none of which were in NYC, granted), I found one through an advert in a corner shop, one through a flatshare website and one through a forum not unlike this one.

And that's super news about Fordham's Medieval Studies program. My dissertation supervisor told me Fordham was more highly thought of than Notre Dame and IUB (the other two unis I was waiting on) for Medieval concentrations, and this info just confirms it! Naturally, I mean no offense to ND or IUB...

Re housing- the admissions pack said that after the offer was accepted I could use some sort of sexy housing website that Fordham hosts that lists both houses and potential flatmates. But it also said that stuff wouldn't begin to pop up on that til like June. Apart from that, what about newspapers? And aren't there other flatshare websites apart from craigslist?

Of my last three residences (none of which were in NYC, granted), I found one through an advert in a corner shop, one through a flatshare website and one through a forum not unlike this one.

And that's super news about Fordham's Medieval Studies program. My dissertation supervisor told me Fordham was more highly thought of than Notre Dame and IUB (the other two unis I was waiting on) for Medieval concentrations, and this info just confirms it! Naturally, I mean no offense to ND or IUB...

Well, I am definitely considering Fordham, and am also an Engl PhD, but my focus is Southern Female American Authors and Ekphrasis. I hear Stony Brook has more American lit faculty. I think I will peruse a bit more. I visited over the break - the campus was beautiful, library amazing, neighborhood was densely populated diverse Bronx, so if that's not your kind of thing you may want to be more particular about housing. Fordham has been my first choice for some time, but I am considering Stony Brook now...

@ Venetia (and woefully off-topic). Are you from somewhere much close to say, the Europe? You must be, or you at least seem to be throwing down some more UK-y terms (namely flat and advert) either way, that's safe. Also adverts are a swell band.

On Topic: Yeah, a friend in NJ suggested the village voice. (Im afraid it will focus more on too-rich-for-my-blood manhattan) Why June for the ultra sexy party website? I am afraid that making a decision that quickly will result in an ill-thought out tenancy in a rodent infested hovel. Like many of my grad school bound peers though (im sick of hyphenating things) I am far too paranoid.

@ Ali B. 1500/ mo. would be awesome for a three bedroom... 1000 would be insane. like, cataclysmically wacko, but still quite awesome.

Unfortunately, I don't actually know much about the English side of med studies, only the french, german and Latin parts.

@Soul Invictus - First the off-topic question: No, I am not from Europe per se, but I did all my undergrad work in the UK and my Masters in Ireland, so I guess I picked up a few phrases over the years. Also, my Mum is a New Zealander, so she's probably passed on a few as well!

Concerning housing- why is June so late? Don't we start in August (when in August I could not say, I should check that, right...). I don't know about the area, but when I was living in Ireland I managed to find housing pretty quickly, over a couple of weeks even, but maybe I was lucky. On the other hand, my undergrad took place in a small town, and if you wanted a decent house near the university you pretty much had to find something in January or February, as all the decent housing would be taken by March! So who knows...

As to why it kicks off in June, I'd imagine it's because that's when housing becomes available again since most of the students head home for the summer and either renew their leases for the coming year or don't.

And @BrandiGrad- thanks for the info about Fordham. I doubt I'll get a chance to visit before I go, so it's nice to hear someone's opinion of it. I don't think I'd mind living in the Bronx, as my last place was in Chinatown and I enjoyed the hustle and bustle!

Hey,

I'm finishing an MA at Fordham and thought I would throw in two cents about housing. First, the student housing option. I've lived in the Arthur 2 graduate house for the past two years. Like anything, there are advantages and disadvantages. First, the good stuff. It is furnished, utilities are paid for and the rooms are relatively large. The location on Arthur Ave is safe and surrounded by great restaurants. Each apartment has 5 rooms, so you will have 4 roommates. This can either be good or bad. Some apartments really bond and have a great time. In fact, it can bring about a great community in what can be an otherwise isolating experience. Conversely, it has really blown up in the face of other apartments and increased their stress. Also, it is expensive. You may be able to find a single bedroom for less. Also, it is right next to the main undergraduate bars, so it can get very loud. Like I said, I am really glad that I lived there but other people look at me like I am crazy.

In regards to other housing options, there are plenty of apartments in the Bronx. Most people live south of campus in the avenues near Arthur ave. Apartments really vary in price and quality. Other students live north along the metro north. A monthly pass up to Bronxville is $55. Finally, a number of students live east, the #12 bus runs up that way right by Fordham.

Obviously, the big question in the Bronx is safety. The honest answer is that at 3AM no place is really safe. The biggest thing is to be smart and aware of your surroundings. That being said, every now and then someone gets mugged a 1 in the afternoon on Arthur ave. But, most people don't have a problem.

As far as where to look, Fordham will put up some links. Craigslist is always good. Finally, if you just google "fordham student housing" and a number of brokers come up who specifically market to students.

One final note, if you are interested in the student housing, get on reslife and bother them till they get you want you need. There are only 44 spots. Reslife at Fordham is really really really bad so you really have to stay on them if you want them to do anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Fordham. I will keep checking here, also feel free to PM me.

• 2 months later...

I just got accepted to the M.A. for Medieval Studies program. This is hands down my first choice but I have absolutely no funding. I already live in the city, I am at Hunter as an undergrad. I just don't know what to do...Any advice? Its nice to see that you guys all think the program is a great one. AHHH!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've finishing my MA after 2 years at Fordham and am staying on for a PhD in English. I too am a Medievalist (we took over the PhD positions this year).

There are a number of apartments in the Little Italy area. As Leagus said, there's a number of options for finding places, including internet searches for Fordham Housing. Many apartment buildings in the neighborhood cater only to students. There are few craigslist postings for the area right now, but there will be more in August. Also, it can be beneficial to canvas the neighborhood, if you have the ability, as many renters only advertaise with signage. I actually live in the second floor of a private Townhouse, though. The apartment is $1500, all utilities and cable included. With a roommate, this place is $750 a month, flat fee.

My roommate is moving and I'm considering either staying on and looking for a new roommate, or moving to Inwood (west of the Bronx in Upper Manhattan, but a 20-30 minute bus ride on the Bx12). Either way, I'd be interested in a new roommate (female, cat friendly, non-smoker).

This apartment will be available for either one or two people depending on whether I decide to stay.

You can message me for more information on the apartment or the area.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've finishing my MA after 2 years at Fordham and am staying on for a PhD in English. I too am a Medievalist (we took over the PhD positions this year).

There are a number of apartments in the Little Italy area. As Leagus said, there's a number of options for finding places, including internet searches for Fordham Housing. Many apartment buildings in the neighborhood cater only to students. There are few craigslist postings for the area right now, but there will be more in August. Also, it can be beneficial to canvas the neighborhood, if you have the ability, as many renters only advertaise with signage. I actually live in the second floor of a private Townhouse, though. The apartment is $1500, all utilities and cable included. With a roommate, this place is $750 a month, flat fee.

My roommate is moving and I'm considering either staying on and looking for a new roommate, or moving to Inwood (west of the Bronx in Upper Manhattan, but a 20-30 minute bus ride on the Bx12). Either way, I'd be interested in a new roommate (female, cat friendly, non-smoker).

This apartment will be available for either one or two people depending on whether I decide to stay.

You can message me for more information on the apartment or the area.

• 2 weeks later...

So many Fordham medievalists! I'll be starting the MA in Medieval Studies this fall, looking to either stay on for a PhD in English (hi, Imamunky!) or transfer elsewhere, depending on how this year goes. Wish I'd seen the discussion on various housing options earlier in the summer, but as it turns out, I'll be staying in Arthur 2--anybody else?

Since it looks like there's a lot of people with overlapping interests, here are the classes I'll be taking this fall--is there any overlap?

Late Medieval Women (Erler)

Medieval Chronicles (Gyug)

Manuscript Culture (Hafner)

So many Fordham medievalists! I'll be starting the MA in Medieval Studies this fall, looking to either stay on for a PhD in English (hi, Imamunky!) or transfer elsewhere, depending on how this year goes. Wish I'd seen the discussion on various housing options earlier in the summer, but as it turns out, I'll be staying in Arthur 2--anybody else?

Since it looks like there's a lot of people with overlapping interests, here are the classes I'll be taking this fall--is there any overlap?

Late Medieval Women (Erler)

Medieval Chronicles (Gyug)

Manuscript Culture (Hafner)

I'll be in Manuscript Culture as well! I'm so nervous and excited!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use