Princeton, NJ

Guest Fraya_Tormenta

Does anyone know more specifics about the Butler apartments?

Someone mentioned that they get cold in the winter, is this the only negative? I've looked for pictures online and they seem like they aren't luxury apartments, but like they are decent enough for a year or two and like it is a nice community? Do mostly families live in them?

I have a pet so on campus housing doesn't leave me too many options, and it seems like I would at least have a shot at getting an apartment there since they aren't too popular?

Thanks!

Butler definitely isn't luxury, but it is probably the best deal on campus in terms of housing. They do get cold in the winter because there is only heat duct in the middle of the house, but most people solve this by using space heaters. I know a few families that live there, but also many grad students use them as doubles because they are so cheap. (All of this being said, they are either being renovated or destroyed in 2013, I don't remember which though.)

If you have a pet, you might also want to try Millstone Apts (they are nicer but a little further from campus, I don't have much other info about them).

I was accepted to Princeton's Art History PhD program, and am heading out to a campus visit soon. I've been living in NYC for two years, and absolutely adore it, and do not want to have to move (still waiting to hear from NYC schools, but planning for NJ just in case). I particularly don't want to leave because I live with my bf, who is a PhD student in NYC who absolutely could not move because his work is laboratory based (our rent is also insanely cheap), and because I'm very active in the dance and arts scene in the city. Moving to NJ (and away from friends/family) would be very hard for me, so I'm looking into the viability of commuting.

Do any other grad students commute between Princeton and NYC? I read on other parts of the forum that this is relatively affordable/doable in the technical sense, but what no one addressed was how this affects your life as a grad student. Do you think it affects your bonds between students/profs and your social life/relationships with them? Is it harder to get work done? Do the trains run frequently enough that you could come early/stay late if needed (and is it safe to get to the train late at night potentially by yourself)?

I'd be particularly interested in hearing the perspective of students who are earlier in their PhD career, as that stage generally requires more campus presence than the dissertation stage of the degree. Thanks!

I am relatively certain that Princeton has a requirement for all students to live within the Princeton area for at least one year (And I assume that NYC is outside of the Princeton area). I don't remember for sure if I read this for engineering or for the entire school, but look into that before making decisions based on commuting.

In terms of living in NYC / visiting NYC what I have learned from friends at Princeton and from asking questions when I visited is that lots of students have significant others that live in NYC and go frequently. But many said that for the first year or so they were only able to visit once a month or every other weekend. Based on this I would assume that commuting would be very difficult. On top of that, they said that if I wanted to try to live in NYC while writing my thesis I should at the very least have a room in a house somewhere in Princeton to stay some nights. So, from an engineering perspective at least, I'd say commuting is probably not allowed for the first year, and probably not totally doable in other years.

I don't mean to be discouraging, but I just wanted to share what I've learned and encourage you to try to be realistic when considering commuting.

I commuted daily from Princeton to Manhattan daily by train in summer 2007. Each way was 1 hour 15 minutes (including the "dinky" connector train and the NE corridor line from Princeton Junction to Penn Station). I was a hospital chaplain, and had to be on site 8-5 plus weekly on call responsibilities some evenings and weekends. We had additional work to finish at home. On the easy days I left at 6 and got home around 7. I liked the commute because I could read and think on the train. Sometimes there are problems with the trains, though, and you'll be late.

There aren't any safety issues with the princeton stations. Princeton sort of exists in its own bubble. During the rush hours the trains run frequently. Later into the evening they come every half hour. The off-peak trains are mostly locals, so you'll add about 30-40 minutes to the train ride.

I was exhausted by the end of summer. It's a long commute, even though it looks do-able on paper. I'm glad I didn't have to do the commute in the winter.

I just visited Princeton and was told pretty much by everyone, faculty and students alike, that the majority of grad students (especially those finished with coursework) live in NYC or Brooklyn (some in Philly). I don't think they require grad students to live on campus for the first year or two anymore, but it sounds like most do simply because they're new to the area. The commute sounds very doable. I don't know if I would like it personally, but they all seemed fine with it. I'd double check on the rule about living in Princeton at first, but as I said I think it's just common practice now but no longer an actual rule. Check with current students in the program. They'd be able to give you the best answers.

Edited by Pamphilia

I'm wondering what the social life is like at Princeton in general? Brief history: I'm early 20s so I'm sort of stuck between grads and undergrads, though I've applied for grad school. I didn't really party AT ALL in undergrad, so though I'm obviously there (hopefully!) to get everything I can out of my degree (WWS, 2-year, if I'm accepted), I'd prefer to have SOME fun doing it. Obviously nightlife isn't going to make or break the deal and I sure as heck wouldn't turn down Princeton if I got in... but I'd still like to know. Basically I just don't want to end up spending my second degree without any nightlife too lol, and I'm a little worried my age may stick me between groups, or that it'll be totally dead. I love the intellectual capacity at Princeton, I just hope it isn't the ONLY thing to experience lol.

Thanks! :)

Edited by kabutar

http://www.dailyprin...10/03/09/25483/

There's a story in the student newspaper about this today. Granted, the Prince is not renowned for stellar journalism, but something is better than nothing, I suppose?

Oh dear, this is sounding almost exactly like what I don't need... bah. I really want to go to WWS if I get in, but I don't want to be a hermit. And I'm 23... certainly going to want to be more social than the girl quoted, but I can see myself very easily getting stuck between two groups and ending up with nothing.

It's true that undergraduates don't usually associate with grad students, even the younger ones. That said, it's not as though Princeton's social landscape is completely impossible to navigate by any stretch of the imagination. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but my sister was also in her early twenties when she attended Princeton for grad school and she had no significant problems meeting people despite the fact that she isn't the most social person.

Also, the girl quoted in the article said that she was already married and had a group of close friends. It doesn't seem as though she actively sought out a social life when she came to grad school. I think it might be far easier to make friends if you're actually looking for them.

Edited by Alea Iacta Est

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice on finding a roommate? I want to live in the on-campus apartments, but I don't know anyone to live with. I'm a little nervous about signing up for a random roommate, is anyone else planning on doing that?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any advice on finding a roommate? I want to live in the on-campus apartments, but I don't know anyone to live with. I'm a little nervous about signing up for a random roommate, is anyone else planning on doing that?

You could try tigerTrade, which is a bit like craigslist but for the Princeton community only (you have to have a Princeton email to post ads, though anyone can reply to an ad). You'll find current grads looking for roommates or you could post your own ad looking for roommates from the Princeton community. That way you can at least trade emails/phone calls before committing to anything. http://point.princeton.edu/tigertrade/

I read somewhere that housing would be out at least 30 days before moving in, but not after June 30th. I'm not sure if that applies to incoming students though, because alot of the stuff on the website seems to be for returning students only.

We're suppossed to get a big packet of information in May or June that should say something about e-mail adresses. If you don't hear anything by late June you should contact them. (this is all from memory though so don't hold me to it)

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone,

I just received an offer for Princeton's PhD program, and am SO excited -- but nervous about the COL and finding housing for my husband and I. It's really early in the game, but we're trying to figure out when we should move -- and therefore, when we should quit our jobs/when he should find a new one. We'd like to be able to move to NJ slightly before school starts, and he might have to move sometime between May-July, depending on when he finds a position (which would most likely be in NYC, incidentally).

It seems that graduate housing move-in is not until September 1. If we prefer to move earlier, is it feasible to find non-Princeton housing at reasonable rates, convenient to the train, with leases starting in the late spring/summer?

Hi everyone,

I just received an offer for Princeton's PhD program, and am SO excited -- but nervous about the COL and finding housing for my husband and I. It's really early in the game, but we're trying to figure out when we should move -- and therefore, when we should quit our jobs/when he should find a new one. We'd like to be able to move to NJ slightly before school starts, and he might have to move sometime between May-July, depending on when he finds a position (which would most likely be in NYC, incidentally).

It seems that graduate housing move-in is not until September 1. If we prefer to move earlier, is it feasible to find non-Princeton housing at reasonable rates, convenient to the train, with leases starting in the late spring/summer?

I remember finding an apartment in Plainsboro, NJ for around 770 (without utilities)? That's the absolute cheapest you'll find, unless you get lucky on craigslist. I don't remember how flexible the leases are. In general, finding housing in this area is a pain in the ass. I'm happy to live in the Butler apartments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am looking at Princeton as well, and have a friend there now who lives in campus housing. She was able to move into the Butler Apartments (which is family housing) in the middle of June, so you should contact Grad Housing first. It is *much* cheaper to live in University Housing, and much, much more convenient, than anywhere else. Good luck!

Would anyone care to comment on the general atmosphere and environment of Princeton? If you can comment specifically on the engineering departments that would be especially helpful (though don't hesitate to share your comments if otherwise). What is the overall research attitude... are people generally happy with their work (discounting the seasonal ups and downs of research)?

How is life at Princeton if one doesn't care too much for typical nightlife/partying? From previous posts, it seems there isn't much to do in the area? How are the outdoors?

And how are the people? I'm used to a fairly laid-back environment, and so I'm concerned whether attending Princeton means having to deal with some level of snobbery (it being an Ivy and all...)?

Do I need a car in Princeton?

My wife would be doing PhD and I would be working. I'm thinking of applying to jobs in Princeton, New Brunswick, and Trenton. Work commute seems not bad, but how about groceries and shopping? I've spent about ten years in California needing a car and a year in France without one. I read about car sharing and would be interested in that. I would probably be living in Butler or Lawrence.

Thanks!

Croasyjr: let me know how your husband's job search is going! Where is he looking? I've been looking mostly Princeton University, Rutgers University, and the Teach for America job board.

On 3/7/2011 at 10:01 PM, electrifice said:

And how are the people? I'm used to a fairly laid-back environment, and so I'm concerned whether attending Princeton means having to deal with some level of snobbery (it being an Ivy and all...)?

I'm very seriously considering accepting an offer for a PhD program in the life sciences at Princeton. I had the same worry about you, but when I went to visit all of the students I met were very down to earth, nice, and seemed happy. I didn't meet a single person who I thought was a snob. I even expressed this to the grad students and they said it is mainly with the undergrads (who can get in if their parent is an alum/big donor etc. apparently). Of course I'm sure there are indeed people like that it wasn't full to the brim of them as far as I could tell from the people in the department I visited.

Was just accepted to WWS and am thrilled about it, but share many of the same questions as everyone else. I'll be entering as 27-year-old who is by no means a blackout partier, but who does enjoy raucous nights out at dive bars. I am very into low-key, non-pretentious fun.

So I guess this all boils down to a few questions:

1) My stereotype of Princeton is that what snobbery there is (I assume it has gone down) is concentrated among undergrads, but that graduate students tend to be brilliant and down-to-earth. Is there some truth to this blatant overgeneralization?

2) I'm two months in, have met some good people, and want to be out with friends until 2:00. Will I always have at least a couple options, between D-Bars, parties, etc.?

3) How's the Annex for meeting other grad students? Is it easy to get a room there as a first-year Master's student?

Edited by CowboyDan

Was just accepted to WWS and am thrilled about it, but share many of the same questions as everyone else. I'll be entering as 27-year-old who is by no means a blackout partier, but who does enjoy raucous nights out at dive bars. I am very into low-key, non-pretentious fun.

So I guess this all boils down to a few questions:

1) My stereotype of Princeton is that what snobbery there is (I assume it has gone down) is concentrated among undergrads, but that graduate students tend to be brilliant and down-to-earth. Is there some truth to this blatant overgeneralization?

2) I'm two months in, have met some good people, and want to be out with friends until 2:00. Will I always have at least a couple options, between D-Bars, parties, etc.?

3) How's the Annex for meeting other grad students? Is it easy to get a room there as a first-year Master's student?

That is exactly the feel I got when I visited. I'm also by no mean's a hardcore partier, but do enjoy late nights at bars drinking with good people. They actually have a graduate student bar on campus in the basement of the Graduate College (grad student "dorm") where drink prices are compensated for by the university (that's a private ivy school for you :-P). What is normally an 8-10 shot there is ~4 bucks....and to add to the "non-pretentiousness" I also saw that they sold 40's of Mickey's in the fridge behind the bar. I was told grad students hang out there quite a bit, but there are also some other bars on the main street on the north of campus (one a brewery I believe, and another where locals go and a grad student can "have a beer and read a paper"). One thing that I also liked about Princeton is that they have lots of grad student specific housing surrounding the campus so if you choose to live there you will be living in a building with only other grad students (and not just grad students who do what you do...you could be a science person rooming with/neighboring someone studying literature). I'll make it clear I only visited for an interview/recruitment weekend, but they did actually take us around to all the living options associated with the university (grad student housing). Check out the housing options on the website. If you choose Princeton-specific graduate student housing (and choose not to live way far away from campus) I really got the feeling it'd be hard NOT to meet other grad students besides the one's you'll be in classes with. Princeton seemed like a college town to me...but it is only a train ride away to either NYC or Philadelphia.

Hope that helps. The way you described yourself socially is how I would also describe myself and I really felt like I could be satisfied with the "non-school" part of my life there.

Croasyjr: let me know how your husband's job search is going! Where is he looking? I've been looking mostly Princeton University, Rutgers University, and the Teach for America job board.

Hi Zotbrad! My husband is hoping to be able to transfer, staying with his current company, which has an office in NYC. If that doesn't work out, I'm sure he'll be looking at the same boards/locations as yourself :) Good luck!

I am looking at Princeton as well, and have a friend there now who lives in campus housing. She was able to move into the Butler Apartments (which is family housing) in the middle of June, so you should contact Grad Housing first. It is *much* cheaper to live in University Housing, and much, much more convenient, than anywhere else. Good luck!

This is very helpful -- the Grad Housing website makes it seem that the Sept 1 start date is inflexible, so, thank you -- I will look into it!

Hello -

I've received an offer from Princeton and will probably enroll there in the Fall. I'm looking at the housing options, and am hoping to move into a New Lawrence studio apartment. Based upon the one or two posts I've read here it looks like it's difficult to get the rooms in Old or New Lawrence, but I was wondering if any of you know someone who successfully got their first choice as an incoming student.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello -

I've received an offer from Princeton and will probably enroll there in the Fall. I'm looking at the housing options, and am hoping to move into a New Lawrence studio apartment. Based upon the one or two posts I've read here it looks like it's difficult to get the rooms in Old or New Lawrence, but I was wondering if any of you know someone who successfully got their first choice as an incoming student.

Thanks in advance!

I am in exactly the same boat and have essentially the same preferences (wouldn't mind paying extra for the 1 bedroom rooms in Lawrence). Does anyone know the answer to this question?