Indiana University (Bloomington)

has anyone come across places that lease for less than 12 months?

Two years ago when I tried to find an apartment for just a semester, I called all over the city and couldn't find a single place that'd let me rent for less than a year. It's kind of a landlord's town. You could try subletting maybe? I ended up signing a year lease and then subletting to a friend after I graduated and that worked out pretty well.

Most leases will be 12 months. It's why I am in the dorms my senior year. I stayed in England doing research until August and knew that I would need to be home for the summer, so I A. couldn't sign a lease because of the 12 month deal and B. wasn't willing to pay the extra when I wasn't living there (many people do, just because they need to). Housing here is expensive for what it is and you have to be careful not to live with undergrads. That is my advice. Don't live North of the Stadium. It's just undergrad party housing, basically. I had friends that lived there my sophomore year and they would migrate back to campus to study every day because of the noise level and constant partying. I can also attest to this, as I work at the stadium and up there almost every single day and yes, every night the noise level is up. the South and East are newer developments and lots of people like these areas. The West is not bad, but you can be in odd areas and have a not-so-good set of neighbors while there. Some places here have more crime than others. Most of the rentals there are houses and a lot of them are nice, but some not so much, so you just have to see. I have a good friend who bought a house on the West side with her hubby and they very much enjoy their neighborhood, but just a few blocks over, it is not so nice.

Lots of people sublet in the summers. Many of the people who live on campus in the summer will move off campus for the summer so that they can do work on campus. Thus, if you don't plan to be there, it could be a solution to your problem.

Decision made. I'm going to Bloomington!!! I'm sooo excited. I had been almost sure I was going there since I went on a campus visit 10 days ago, but I was waiting to hear from another school just in case. But now it's confirmed. I'll be a hoosier in August!

Congrats! You came at a great time. Campus is beautiful this time of year. Actually, I am not sure when it isn't haha.

Thanks a lot! smile.gif I'm really happy, or at least I was until a couple of hours ago. I had already made my mind that I was going to Indiana, but my mother was putting a lot of pressure on me because she wanted me to wait to hear from Amherst. Well, when I received an e-mail from Amherst yesterday saying that I hadn't been accepted I was so glad that I could freely accept Indiana, without my mum yelling at me... I contacted Indiana saying that I accepted the offer, I posted everywhere in The Grad Cafe that I was going to Indiana and today I went to work with my IU t-shirt. The problem? I got an e-mail today from Amherst basically saying... Oops! My bad. Ummmm... I... well... I kinda made a mistake. You are accepted in Amherst, we just can't offer you any funding at this moment. We hope to be able to offer you something soon.

Well, I made the mistake of telling my parents. Huge mistake! Now they're pressuring me to contact Amherst and ask them about the funding and if they offer something similar/better, to tell Indiana I'm not going. They're obsessed with the idea that since Amherst is in Massachusetts and Indiana is in the Midwest (like going to China for them, basically) Amherst must be a much better school. Who knows Indiana, anyway? Plus, they only think about the Linguistics department in Amherst being one of the best (they don't even care about the fact that I would actually be in the Spanish department). Oh, and they would be taking 2 flights instead of 3 everytime they go to visit me. blink.gif

They just burst my bubble! I was sooo happy this morning, even after getting the e-mail from Amherst. I didn't regret it at all. I just regret telling my parents.angry.gif

I'm sorry for telling all this here, but I just needed to share it with someone. Why can't my parents just support my decision? They're in a different country and have no idea of the US education system.

Alright, the only thing you can wish now is you don't get any comparable funding from Amherst, I guess.

Thanks a lot! smile.gif I'm really happy, or at least I was until a couple of hours ago. I had already made my mind that I was going to Indiana, but my mother was putting a lot of pressure on me because she wanted me to wait to hear from Amherst. Well, when I received an e-mail from Amherst yesterday saying that I hadn't been accepted I was so glad that I could freely accept Indiana, without my mum yelling at me... I contacted Indiana saying that I accepted the offer, I posted everywhere in The Grad Cafe that I was going to Indiana and today I went to work with my IU t-shirt. The problem? I got an e-mail today from Amherst basically saying... Oops! My bad. Ummmm... I... well... I kinda made a mistake. You are accepted in Amherst, we just can't offer you any funding at this moment. We hope to be able to offer you something soon.

Well, I made the mistake of telling my parents. Huge mistake! Now they're pressuring me to contact Amherst and ask them about the funding and if they offer something similar/better, to tell Indiana I'm not going. They're obsessed with the idea that since Amherst is in Massachusetts and Indiana is in the Midwest (like going to China for them, basically) Amherst must be a much better school. Who knows Indiana, anyway? Plus, they only think about the Linguistics department in Amherst being one of the best (they don't even care about the fact that I would actually be in the Spanish department). Oh, and they would be taking 2 flights instead of 3 everytime they go to visit me. blink.gif

They just burst my bubble! I was sooo happy this morning, even after getting the e-mail from Amherst. I didn't regret it at all. I just regret telling my parents.angry.gif

I'm sorry for telling all this here, but I just needed to share it with someone. Why can't my parents just support my decision? They're in a different country and have no idea of the US education system.

Choosing a graduate program is a pretty big decision, and it'll have an impact on the rest of your career. You need to find the school that's right for you based on the qualities that you think are important. Your parents won't be attending graduate school -- you will be. So at the end of the day, you have to take responsibility for your own happiness and success.

Alright, the only thing you can wish now is you don't get any comparable funding from Amherst, I guess.

Actually, the same day I was told I was accepted without funding, I got a phone call saying I did have funding. blink.gif

It was just a little bit less than Indiana (although cost of life is higher in Amherst), guaranteed for less years than in Indiana and without a summer fellowship (I got one from IUB).

Choosing a graduate program is a pretty big decision, and it'll have an impact on the rest of your career. You need to find the school that's right for you based on the qualities that you think are important. Your parents won't be attending graduate school -- you will be. So at the end of the day, you have to take responsibility for your own happiness and success.

I know, I told my parents that I needed their support, not their weeping.

And I definitely think I will be happier in IUB. At Amherst apparently they don't have a phonetics/phonology professor, since he retired a couple of years ago and hasn't been replaced yet. Phonology is one of my intended areas of specialization.

I know, I told my parents that I needed their support, not their weeping.

And I definitely think I will be happier in IUB. At Amherst apparently they don't have a phonetics/phonology professor, since he retired a couple of years ago and hasn't been replaced yet. Phonology is one of my intended areas of specialization.

Well it sounds like you've made your decision then! :) Bloomington is a great place, so I bet you'll like it there.

One of my good friends is STAYING at Indiana to work in their linguistics lab because it is that well ranked. She had presented many, many places as an undergrad. LOTS of people know Indiana, so don't worry. And Bloomington is pretty liberal for the Midwest. It is far different than say Champaign or Lafayette, which may be more conservative.

One of my good friends is STAYING at Indiana to work in their linguistics lab because it is that well ranked. She had presented many, many places as an undergrad. LOTS of people know Indiana, so don't worry. And Bloomington is pretty liberal for the Midwest. It is far different than say Champaign or Lafayette, which may be more conservative.

Yes, IUB is well known for linguistics. You chose the right place to go.

Thank you all for your support. At least somebody is supporting my decision! tongue.gif

After these last days, my parents have finally accepted my decision (although my father still "teases" me unsure.gif).

I'm heading to IUB for an MA in the NELC department. How come everyone here is looking at off-campus housing? No one looking to live on campus? They're sticking the grad students in Wilkie this year. I think the on-campus housing isn't too expensive considering you get someplace that is within walking distance from the department, has a telephone and internet access, utilities paid, air conditioning and a great lounge, store, and movie checkout place within the building. I think a single room with a shared bathroom is like 6,500 dollars for the year. Doesn't that come up to about the same as what a 12 month apartment lease would cost?

I'm heading to IUB for an MA in the NELC department. How come everyone here is looking at off-campus housing? No one looking to live on campus? They're sticking the grad students in Wilkie this year. I think the on-campus housing isn't too expensive considering you get someplace that is within walking distance from the department, has a telephone and internet access, utilities paid, air conditioning and a great lounge, store, and movie checkout place within the building. I think a single room with a shared bathroom is like 6,500 dollars for the year. Doesn't that come up to about the same as what a 12 month apartment lease would cost?

I didn't look on campus because I don't want a roommate and because I have a pet. The on-campus housing isn't really that much of a deal once you consider the quality and amount of space you have compared to an apartment. If you share a 2 bedroom at most off-campus places like you would in the dorms, the price tends to be the same or less (assuming you don't need a landline and/or the highest level cable). On my visit I didn't meet any grad student living on campus.

I didn't look on campus because I don't want a roommate and because I have a pet. The on-campus housing isn't really that much of a deal once you consider the quality and amount of space you have compared to an apartment. If you share a 2 bedroom at most off-campus places like you would in the dorms, the price tends to be the same or less (assuming you don't need a landline and/or the highest level cable). On my visit I didn't meet any grad student living on campus.

Yeah, these are some of the reasons I'm living off campus. I have a cat, and I also want more control over whether I have a roommate and who I choose, what sort of rules I follow, etc. I think on campus rates are a little higher than what you would pay off campus, but they're in the same ballpark. (There's quite a wide price range on apartments, but you can find something more interesting/unique for less money if you look.) Plus I don't know how parking is handled for on-campus students who have cars, but I'm willing to bet it's a pain. I knew a girl who lived on campus for her first couple of semesters and she seemed to think it was okay, but she ended up moving off campus eventually. It's really just a matter of personal preference. I do know that quite a few international students end up living on campus, and family housing seems fairly popular for single grad students with kids.

I agree with what everyone else has been saying about living on campus. Financially, it would be fairly close, but then when you consider the need to pay for a meal plan, the cost stops being as comparable. I would rather be able to cook my own meals rather than have to rely on meal plans and restaurants. Additionally, a lot of dorm living arrangements close during winter break, and I wanted the convenience of never being kicked out of my home for the holidays; however, my undergrad adviser, who is an IU alum suggested living in dorms.

Edited by Russophile

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about ready to commit to an apartment that I found, about a 20 minute walk from the political science department at Woodburn Hall. Even though it seems like the apartment is a good deal, two things are worrying me: its on the ground floor and I'm concerned about burglary; and also that I haven't actually seen it in person. I know that Bloomington is a relatively crime free town but I've never lived on my own before. And for obvious reasons, signing a 12 month lease for a place one hasn't seen in person isn't the best idea. But traveling to Bloomington just to see the place is not the best choice financially. To top everything off, I haven't been able to find any ratings or comments about this real estate company online. So I really feel like I'm in the dark...

Are there any native Hoosiers who can perhaps give a suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about ready to commit to an apartment that I found, about a 20 minute walk from the political science department at Woodburn Hall. Even though it seems like the apartment is a good deal, two things are worrying me: its on the ground floor and I'm concerned about burglary; and also that I haven't actually seen it in person. I know that Bloomington is a relatively crime free town but I've never lived on my own before. And for obvious reasons, signing a 12 month lease for a place one hasn't seen in person isn't the best idea. But traveling to Bloomington just to see the place is not the best choice financially. To top everything off, I haven't been able to find any ratings or comments about this real estate company online. So I really feel like I'm in the dark...

What everyone is saying about the on-campus thing is reasonable enough. Actually all graduate students have the option of not getting the meal plan or at least residents of Wilkie have that option and all grad students will be at Wilkie (their was one other residence open to them but that's been filled up). All the rooms are single as well actually. You either get a suite with or two other people so the bathroom and the lounge is the only thing you share or you get a single standalone kind of room which shares a bathroom with another room of the same sort and then there's the shared laundry and kitchen for the entire floor. I'm international, have never lived alone by myself in another city, and completely averse to apartment hunting and the possibility of finding a roommate who I may not like in the end so I'm sticking with the on-campus thing for convenience. But off-campus for subsequent years makes a lot of sense.

Hey, if you need to find out about a company, here's two things I'd recommend:

1. HAND is the Housing and Neighborhood Development office in Bloomington and they keep records of all rental units (complaints, violations, etc.). You can request up to 50 pages of records on a specific address for free. Unfortunately, they are not on the ball (it took me a month to get my results, by then I had just rented, BUT I was able to see the place). If you explain your situation maybe they will expedite things for you. Just have all the information (rental agency, address, your contact info) ready to go and see what they can do for you.

2. The student legal aid at IU does look over leases for students. You could contact them and send the lease. They may have experience with the person you're renting from and can tell you both if there have been any issues and if your lease is kosher. That isn't to say you won't have problems, but at least with a legally sound lease you would have recourse if something went wrong.

Finally, on the whole ground floor thing. As a single woman, I tried avoid ground floor places, but sometimes you can't. From what I've heard about Bloomington the non-violent crimes (aka theft, burglary, etc.) tend to occur in places that were not locked. A lot of undergrads living alone for the first time (especially those living with multiple people) will leave windows and doors unlocked at night or when they're gone during the day for "convenience"...which just means it's convenient to walk in and take stuff. I think, overall, if you play it smart, you'll be OK.

Hey, if you need to find out about a company, here's two things I'd recommend:

1. HAND is the Housing and Neighborhood Development office in Bloomington and they keep records of all rental units (complaints, violations, etc.). You can request up to 50 pages of records on a specific address for free. Unfortunately, they are not on the ball (it took me a month to get my results, by then I had just rented, BUT I was able to see the place). If you explain your situation maybe they will expedite things for you. Just have all the information (rental agency, address, your contact info) ready to go and see what they can do for you.

2. The student legal aid at IU does look over leases for students. You could contact them and send the lease. They may have experience with the person you're renting from and can tell you both if there have been any issues and if your lease is kosher. That isn't to say you won't have problems, but at least with a legally sound lease you would have recourse if something went wrong.

Finally, on the whole ground floor thing. As a single woman, I tried avoid ground floor places, but sometimes you can't. From what I've heard about Bloomington the non-violent crimes (aka theft, burglary, etc.) tend to occur in places that were not locked. A lot of undergrads living alone for the first time (especially those living with multiple people) will leave windows and doors unlocked at night or when they're gone during the day for "convenience"...which just means it's convenient to walk in and take stuff. I think, overall, if you play it smart, you'll be OK.

Thanks. I have already been in touch with HAND about the place, to see if they can give me some kind of record about the complaints and violations. They haven't gotten back to me yet, though, and in general, it seemed like they were unsure of what to do with my request since I wasn't asking in person but by phone.

I was also in touch with university housing about getting an apartment in either the Evermann or Redbud Hill apartments. The very friendly lady on the phone told me flat out that the apartments aren't very good, not near any place for shopping and thus difficult to get around if you don't have a car, and that I shouldn't even bother with them if I have this other place in mind, which she said is a bargain.

I still have a lot of reservations about signing the lease without seeing it, though. I'm considering just going to Bloomington this week and doing the apartment hunting in person.

Thanks. I have already been in touch with HAND about the place, to see if they can give me some kind of record about the complaints and violations. They haven't gotten back to me yet, though, and in general, it seemed like they were unsure of what to do with my request since I wasn't asking in person but by phone.

I was also in touch with university housing about getting an apartment in either the Evermann or Redbud Hill apartments. The very friendly lady on the phone told me flat out that the apartments aren't very good, not near any place for shopping and thus difficult to get around if you don't have a car, and that I shouldn't even bother with them if I have this other place in mind, which she said is a bargain.

I still have a lot of reservations about signing the lease without seeing it, though. I'm considering just going to Bloomington this week and doing the apartment hunting in person.

Depending on how far from Bloomington you live, then it would be a good idea to visit. I live 4 hours away so I could reasonably drive there with no problems. I did the same thing, I signed a lease on a townhome before ever seeing it, but visited it last weekend. I saw the landlord, talked to him, saw the house, the town, etc. It's a good thing to do, if you can. I'd be wary of signing on a place before seeing it in person, especially if the company advertises for it (like many in Bloomington do). It seems like they take advantage of the fact that many people who can't go there before August will just blindly sign and then be in for a surprise.

So I heard that this weekend the Little 500 went on in Bloomington. Anyone have thoughts on it, personal experiences, etc.? I looked it up on Wikipedia, but I wanted to read the opinion of someone who has witnessed it. What's it like? Thanks.

So I heard that this weekend the Little 500 went on in Bloomington. Anyone have thoughts on it, personal experiences, etc.? I looked it up on Wikipedia, but I wanted to read the opinion of someone who has witnessed it. What's it like? Thanks.

I am a current grad at IU. I didn't go to the actual race, but I can tell you the undergrads drink all week. Classes are empty beginning on wednesday and the bars are full the entire week. It is weird. Lots of bikinis and slippin 'n' slides on frat house lawns--and it was raining almost the entire weekend.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use