Indiana University (Bloomington)

I've been accepted at IUB (for Hispanic Linguistics) with a good offer from the school, but haven't made a decision yet (I'm still waiting to hear from 4 other schools). However, and unless I receive a really attractive offer from somewhere else, I'll probably end up there. I'm going on a campus visit in a couple of weeks and I have a friend who graduated from there. She really liked it.

It looks as if I will be heading to IU as well; I will be pursuing an MA in Russian and East European Studies. I should be moving in June because I have been accepted into the SWSEEL summer language program. Housing is a bit of a concern because I'm not going to be able to visit before I move. Any suggestions?

Hi everyone, I am going to IUB too. I am in the Dept of Telecommunications (media industry and management). I probably will use Craigslist to search a room sharing, I did it last year when I moved to Philly and it worked well. I plan to move in July so I can get some time to adapt.

hey everyone,

I was accepted to IUB for the PhD program in political science. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm going there for a visit at the end of the month. They gave me a great financial package so in all likelihood, that's where I'll end up.

It looks as if I will be heading to IU as well; I will be pursuing an MA in Russian and East European Studies. I should be moving in June because I have been accepted into the SWSEEL summer language program. Housing is a bit of a concern because I'm not going to be able to visit before I move. Any suggestions?

Hi Russ.

I just visited this past week. I liked Regency Management alot, visited two of their properties. They seemed very professional and have a variety of floorplans and properties for different budgets. Craigslist is OK, but I would def. recommend trying to locate a place soon because a lot of undergrads have already leased for next school year, a few of the places I went to visit were all full already!

Hi Russ.

I just visited this past week. I liked Regency Management alot, visited two of their properties. They seemed very professional and have a variety of floorplans and properties for different budgets. Craigslist is OK, but I would def. recommend trying to locate a place soon because a lot of undergrads have already leased for next school year, a few of the places I went to visit were all full already!

Thanks for the headsup. I have been looking at Regency, so it is good to hear that they get a vote of confidence. Craigslist makes me a bit nervous, though I have known a few people who have ended up with really great places that way. Did you choose an apartment during your visit?

Hi everyone, I am going to IUB too. I am in the Dept of Telecommunications (media industry and management). I probably will use Craigslist to search a room sharing, I did it last year when I moved to Philly and it worked well. I plan to move in July so I can get some time to adapt.

I'm also looking for a room sharing on Craigslist too. I found some good deals and may move to the town in early Aug or late July.

Thanks for the headsup. I have been looking at Regency, so it is good to hear that they get a vote of confidence. Craigslist makes me a bit nervous, though I have known a few people who have ended up with really great places that way. Did you choose an apartment during your visit?

I am still debating between a Regency property (Heritage) and a place I found on CraigsList that I was able to see.

For anyone interested in using CraigsList and making sure all is legit, Bloomington requires all rental properties to be registeted with the Housing and Neighborhood Development office (HAND), and you can request (via fax if you're not in town) information about any violations or complaints on file against the property. It's free up to 50 pages..which I mean, if a property has over 50 pages of complains and violations, you probably don't want to live there anyway. I sent a request Friday about both the properties I'm considering so I'll let yall know how it it takes to process.

For those of you looking for houses more than apartments, I've found rentbloomington.net and bloomingtonrent.com to be helpful. A house is what I'd like to find because it seems that some of the 1 bed apartments are fairly high (at least for the stipend I'll be receiving).

That's really helpful. I also know that the School has legal department to help students go through the lease. I am also looking for some houses sharing on Craigslist and I will let you guys know how it goes.

I am still debating between a Regency property (Heritage) and a place I found on CraigsList that I was able to see.

For anyone interested in using CraigsList and making sure all is legit, Bloomington requires all rental properties to be registeted with the Housing and Neighborhood Development office (HAND), and you can request (via fax if you're not in town) information about any violations or complaints on file against the property. It's free up to 50 pages..which I mean, if a property has over 50 pages of complains and violations, you probably don't want to live there anyway. I sent a request Friday about both the properties I'm considering so I'll let yall know how it it takes to process.

Hey everyone!

I've just been accepted to a PhD program in educational psychology. I'm 99% sure I'll be heading to IUB. I know the school has some on campus grad apartment building, is anyone considering living there?

I'm hopefully going out there next week for a visit so I can decide for sure. Is there anything worth checking out in town while I'm there?

Hi everybody,

Glad to see so many people excited about their move to Blomington. I have made my final decision and I am also going there. Many of you consider Regency, and I have to say, the places are affordable and look nice from the distance – I have read though some very negative comments on forums about Fountain Park and now I am clueless about where I should look. I emailed a professor who said she will speak to current students about good accommodations.

Anyway, what I liked about many of the regency properties is that they have a washer and dryer in the apartment (mostly in the 2 bed. apt) and some even a balcony. This got me thinking that it would be great if I could find a student also looking for comfortable and affordable housing to share a 2 bedroom and 2 bath apt. It would cost about $400 for each of us, instead 5-600, and we would basically have the same space + washer and dryer in the apt. The problem is I know nobody in Bloomington – expect for the professors who interviewed me and one current doc student, but I wouldn’t want to hassle him with questions.

Is this a good idea? Anyone interested?

Hi everybody,

Glad to see so many people excited about their move to Blomington. I have made my final decision and I am also going there. Many of you consider Regency, and I have to say, the places are affordable and look nice from the distance – I have read though some very negative comments on forums about Fountain Park and now I am clueless about where I should look. I emailed a professor who said she will speak to current students about good accommodations.

Anyway, what I liked about many of the regency properties is that they have a washer and dryer in the apartment (mostly in the 2 bed. apt) and some even a balcony. This got me thinking that it would be great if I could find a student also looking for comfortable and affordable housing to share a 2 bedroom and 2 bath apt. It would cost about $400 for each of us, instead 5-600, and we would basically have the same space + washer and dryer in the apt. The problem is I know nobody in Bloomington – expect for the professors who interviewed me and one current doc student, but I wouldn’t want to hassle him with questions.

Is this a good idea? Anyone interested?

Hey there. What I've been trying to do is a roommate search on Craigslist. You can either contact someone who's looking for roommates and has a place or make your own post about looking for housing with other people. You should get some hits. You might also get spammed, so watch out. Don't use your main email.

I wonder if someone could comment on renting a house (1 or 2 bedrooms) in Bloomington. I heard that renting a house is not significantly more expensive than renting an apartment so I'm really excited about the prospect of living in a house (I never did)! Where can I find more information?

I wonder if someone could comment on renting a house (1 or 2 bedrooms) in Bloomington. I heard that renting a house is not significantly more expensive than renting an apartment so I'm really excited about the prospect of living in a house (I never did)! Where can I find more information?

Craig's list has a few houses. If you search "student rentals bloomington" you'll get some decent links to companies that rent, but I found most to be taken up. I think undergrads jump on the houses early....

I lived in Fountain Park (managed by Regency) while I was working on my master's degree, and I never had a problem. The maintenance is fast, the people in the office were pretty nice, and I always felt I was treated fairly. The 6 bus comes every 20 minutes or so during the school year and takes you directly to the north side of campus. In a complex of that size, you're always going to get at least a handful of people who are dissatisfied. I also know a few people who lived in Meadow Park (cheaper and a little farther out) who were pretty happy there. Fountain Park isn't really the cheapest place, but it's definitely cheaper than some of the "luxury apartments" you'll find closer to downtown. (Think undergrads who are getting blank checks from mommy and daddy.)

I also wanted to point out the Graduate and Professional Student Organization (GPSO) Housing Board. Actually the whole GPSO site has good information for new grad students. You'll find some of the major complexes advertising here but you'll also find some of the small-time landlords interested in advertising specifically to grad students and not to the whole Craigslist-reading world. When I moved to Bloomington the first time, I signed a lease on a two-bedroom/two-bathroom place at Fountain Park in May and then posted an ad on the GPSO board to find a roommate. I had a bunch of people reply and ending up taking the person who seemed most suitable.

So if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them. I loved Bloomington the first time, and I'm pretty excited to be going back for my PhD.

Just accepted their offer today. Yay! Bound for Bloomington. Although a scary thought before I visited, I have to say that it's a quaint little town. I also filled out a housing application for a townhome, but if that doesn't work out I'm screwed. For weeks and weeks I've been looking at apartments/houses and I've become slightly overwhelmed/psychotic because of it. Every single complex has some awful complaints and that's just not good. Anyway, enough rambling. I just wanted to say hello and let it out.

Just accepted their offer today. Yay! Bound for Bloomington. Although a scary thought before I visited, I have to say that it's a quaint little town. I also filled out a housing application for a townhome, but if that doesn't work out I'm screwed. For weeks and weeks I've been looking at apartments/houses and I've become slightly overwhelmed/psychotic because of it. Every single complex has some awful complaints and that's just not good. Anyway, enough rambling. I just wanted to say hello and let it out.

I think you have to take complaints with a grain of salt. Afterall, if you're pissed about something you're more likely to go post about it than if you're just fine and dandy. Unless it's something crazy like rodents or security issues, I only get concerned if I consisently see multiple negative comments. Alot of places just have comments like "Management is not friendly" or "Service is slow" which to me aren't clear issues, more matters of perspective and expectations.

Hope you get the townhouse. I got a one on Rogers off Craig's List and I'm excited to move in!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use