Indiana University (Bloomington)

I am a current grad at IU. I didn't go to the actual race, but I can tell you the undergrads drink all week. Classes are empty beginning on wednesday and the bars are full the entire week. It is weird. Lots of bikinis and slippin 'n' slides on frat house lawns--and it was raining almost the entire weekend.

I was in town this weekend too, and this pretty much sums up the vibe. I did my best to stay the hell away from the north side of campus, but I still saw tons of drunk undergrads walking around downtown. It's pretty much girls in insanely high heels and not much else, parties spilling out onto front porches, staggering drunk kids on the sidewalks, an abundance of pizza carts, a noticeable increase in police patrols, and all the undergrad bars packed to the gills. Little Five weekend is somewhere between irritating and amusing, but you can avoid most of the ruckus if you live in the right part of town and avoid downtown/campus for that weekend. And fortunately the undergrads really only party like this once a year. It's definitely not representative of a normal weekend in Bloomington.

Edited by AwkwardPants

• 4 weeks later...

So I've accepted an offer from IUB, going to be entering the ed psych phd program. I wanted to defer for a year, but they offered me a fellowship that I couldnt turn down, so I slimed my time off to a semester. This means I'll be moving to Bloomington in early January, most likely (when to classes start, btw?). Does anyone know if it's easy to find quality housing at this point in the year?

Edited by Psych316

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm about ready to commit to an apartment that I found, about a 20 minute walk from the political science department at Woodburn Hall. Even though it seems like the apartment is a good deal, two things are worrying me: its on the ground floor and I'm concerned about burglary; and also that I haven't actually seen it in person. I know that Bloomington is a relatively crime free town but I've never lived on my own before. And for obvious reasons, signing a 12 month lease for a place one hasn't seen in person isn't the best idea. But traveling to Bloomington just to see the place is not the best choice financially. To top everything off, I haven't been able to find any ratings or comments about this real estate company online. So I really feel like I'm in the dark...

Are there any native Hoosiers who can perhaps give a suggestion?

rkha, where are you looking to live? I just graduated from IU and might be able to give some advice on the area and even the real estate company...

• 2 weeks later...

rkha, where are you looking to live? I just graduated from IU and might be able to give some advice on the area and even the real estate company...

After much searching, I leased an apartment downtown, about a 10-15 minute walk from campus. For my first year I wanted to stay near the university so I can get a better idea of the town. How did you find life in Bloomington to be?

After much searching, I leased an apartment downtown, about a 10-15 minute walk from campus. For my first year I wanted to stay near the university so I can get a better idea of the town. How did you find life in Bloomington to be?

Life in Bloomington is great. If you have specific questions, I can answer those but in terms of the overall feel of the town, it is very focused on the university and students, which I loved. There are certain areas of town that you want to avoid living in because IU is a huge party school. I considered myself social but found that living in certain areas of town (specifically near the stadium) really hindered my ability to study at home. So, I am glad that you are living downtown because while that is a social area, it isn't focused on house parties. Instead, everyone is going to dinner, shopping, etc. and has a destination instead of just drinking outside of your house. Bloomington (or btown as students like to call it) has some GREAT restaurants with a lot of variety...specifically on 4th street. The shopping isn't great, which is a big complaint of students but with online shopping these days it's not too big of a deal. Like I said, if you have any other questions let me know! I love talking about Bloomington, as sad as it makes me that I am no longer there.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I have already been in touch with HAND about the place, to see if they can give me some kind of record about the complaints and violations. They haven't gotten back to me yet, though, and in general, it seemed like they were unsure of what to do with my request since I wasn't asking in person but by phone.

I was also in touch with university housing about getting an apartment in either the Evermann or Redbud Hill apartments. The very friendly lady on the phone told me flat out that the apartments aren't very good, not near any place for shopping and thus difficult to get around if you don't have a car, and that I shouldn't even bother with them if I have this other place in mind, which she said is a bargain.

I still have a lot of reservations about signing the lease without seeing it, though. I'm considering just going to Bloomington this week and doing the apartment hunting in person.

Redbud and Evermann are actually kinda scary. The only way to get to campus is via a bus that rarely comes (tops I believe 2 times an hour). You can walk, but it is a good 2 miles to 3rd street or so. And coming back it is worse - all uphill. The places are old and scary and they look like the balconies are made of barbed wire. Mostly the people who live there are international students (particularly those from Asian countries) who could not find housing elsewhere due to visas, etc. I had a friend who lived in Evermann and it was not a nice place to live. The only decent housing is for families and I wouldn't recommend that.

Wilkie is the "grown up" dorm for the undergrads. It is very antisocial and set up like a hotel. The rooms have twin beds and typical dorm furniture. It is a very nice dorm, but not my idea of a good time as a grad. There is another dorm now that is apartment style right next to my old dorm (where I lived last year). It is brand new (will just be opening in the fall), but VERY expensive. For the price, you can find something nicer without undergrads. If you don't have a car, good luck. Bloomington is not very transit-friendly. Your best bet is to get on the 9 route if you need to grocery shop. Somewhere near there is best. Most of the shops are on the East or West side and a GOOD ways from campus. Bloomington is pretty cycle friendly, so that is a good middle-road option, just make sure you get a damn good lock.

• 4 months later...

I have been accepted at Indiana University Bloomington for the MA in Higher Education and Student Affairs!!! I am SO THRILLED!

Has anyone else heard about that program? Or any others, for that matter?

It's nice to see someone posting about Indiana this year. Is this your top choice or are you waiting for more schools?

I just got accepted to the MA in Information Science program at IUB. I'm trying to do their joint program between Information Science and Public Admin so I have one more app to fill out sad.gif

In any case though I will be attending Indiana Fall 2011, hope to see you there biggrin.gif

It's nice to see someone posting about Indiana this year. Is this your top choice or are you waiting for more schools?

I just got accepted to the MA in Information Science program at IUB. I'm trying to do their joint program between Information Science and Public Admin so I have one more app to fill out sad.gif

In any case though I will be attending Indiana Fall 2011, hope to see you there biggrin.gif

It isn't my top choice, but it is in my top 3 for sure, along with University of South Carolina and University of Arkansas. They are all tied for first place. I have heard from USC (accepted as well) and I am just waiting on Ark. I did apply to several more schools than just those 3, and where I end up will primarily fall on which one provides me with the better assistantship. I really want to work in residence life. If I get that at one of the schools that isn't in my top 3, it will become the best choice. It isn't about money, it is about the job experience :)

So are you for sure heading to IUB or are going to wait and hear back from any other places?

It isn't my top choice, but it is in my top 3 for sure, along with University of South Carolina and University of Arkansas. They are all tied for first place. I have heard from USC (accepted as well) and I am just waiting on Ark. I did apply to several more schools than just those 3, and where I end up will primarily fall on which one provides me with the better assistantship. I really want to work in residence life. If I get that at one of the schools that isn't in my top 3, it will become the best choice. It isn't about money, it is about the job experience :)

So are you for sure heading to IUB or are going to wait and hear back from any other places?

IUB had rolling for both my programs and was my top choice as well as highest ranked so I applied there first to save some money. No use in spending hundreds more dollars applying to other schools when I already got what I wanted biggrin.gif

IUB had rolling for both my programs and was my top choice as well as highest ranked so I applied there first to save some money. No use in spending hundreds more dollars applying to other schools when I already got what I wanted biggrin.gif

Good for you on saving those benjamins. I am in a very different situation. haha.

Congrats to you on your acceptance!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use