MCB Dartmouth

Nancy

Hey all,

Did anyone apply for Dartmouth's MCB program? If so, have you heard back, and will you be attending? :)

I got the acceptance last Thursday and will definitely be taking the offer. I'm a student from the UK, does anyone know anything more about the program and the college than the website says? Anyone go visit for their interview, and if so, what was it like?

I'll stop with the questions now, but I'd love to hear back from anyone who applied/considered it.

:)

Hi Nancy,

I am the one to whom this forum has been pointed out :)

I'm from India, got into the MCB program too, and am almost definitely accepting it.

I was interviewed by phone in February; it was pretty informal.

How nice to meet someone else in MCB already!

Hi Nancy,

I am the one to whom this forum has been pointed out :)

I'm from India, got into the MCB program too, and am almost definitely accepting it.

I was interviewed by phone in February; it was pretty informal.

How nice to meet someone else in MCB already!

Hey, I replied to your meet and greet post cos I saw it first! I had a phone interview, which was very informal as well. Who did your interview? I've accepted the offer already, it was the program I really wanted so I'm very happy. :)

I hope you accept, it would be great to know someone sort of before going!

Hey,

I've also just replied to your meet and greet post!

I'm really excited about the program as well - it's just lovely. I'm pretty sure I'll accept it but I'm just waiting to hear back from the one last college - Northwestern.

I got interviewed by Dr Scott Gerber and Dr Ed Usherwood; what about you?

What are your plans for accommodation and things like that? I found out that new students, especially international ones, live on campus in this housing complex called North Park for the first year and then move out to less expensive places when they figure things out better. So that sounds like a practical option to me. Is that what you are planning on as well?

So what happens after you accept? Do they send the forms that you need to get your student visa and things?

I accepted and they said that they will mail me some stuff soon, as well as an email of info about being international and orientation in early April. My interview was with the chair of the program Barbara Conradt. What sort of area do you work on, and who would you like to work with out there? :)

I'm definitely going to apply to live in North Park, I'd prefer to live with lots of people while I get to know the college and America. Also it seems like a really easy option and a good idea as I can't go visit Hanover before I move there cos I just can't afford the flights!

Good luck on hearing back from Northwestern too :)

Nancy

Hey,

I am just finishing my first year MSc of a two year course but because I got in I won't be going through with it.

Yeah I'll be staying at North Park too because it seems convenient in every way in the first year :)

I have previously worked on Neurospora repeat-induced point mutation and right now I'm working with dictyostelium (effect of bipolar drugs on actin cytoskeleton) - I really like epigenetics and that kind of thing. Some of the labs I'd be interested in working in are - Chuck Cole's, Larry Myers', William Wickner's...

What about you? Where did you do your integrated master's?

Kinjal

Hey,

I did my integrated masters at Bristol University, in Palaeontology. I work on the molecular aspects of Palaeobiology, molecular clock dates of animal lineage divergence, and at the moment I'm researching whole genome duplication events and gene paralogy group splits in the evolutionary history of the vertebrates. I'm really interested in working with Kevin Peterson, but I really want that year to work with a variety of people and make sure I'm doing the right thing for my doctorate!

As for North Park, there's forms on the website where you can apply as soon as you've decided.

It's nice to get to know more about another MCB person! laugh.gif

Hey,

That sounds fascinating! Yeah I'm also looking forward to working in various labs before finally settling on a single one.

Oh wow so have you applied for your housing already?

I'm still waiting to hear from NU but my heart is already set on Dartmouth, so it's almost certain we'll be classmates :)

I'll let you know when I send in my acceptance. This is really fun :)

Hey, I also applied to Dartmouth MCB and was at their interview weekend 3 weeks ago. I haven't gotten in yet, but was told I'll hear back next week about the final admissions decision. If you have any questions about the campus, facilities, etc I'll try my best to answer them

Hey nutmeg good luck on hearing back from them!

What was your interview like? Did they walk you through the department buildings and labs too?

bb9931 do you mean you are joining the Dartmouth MCB program this fall as well? Or is this another program at Darmouth? Welcome to the club, at any rate :)

Edited by kinjal

Hey nutmeg good luck on hearing back from them!

What was your interview like? Did they walk you through the department buildings and labs too?

bb9931 do you mean you are joining the Dartmouth MCB program this fall as well? Or is this another program at Darmouth? Welcome to the club, at any rate :)

Thanks! My fingers are crossed at any rate. Yes, I did get to see some of the labs at both the Medical School(on the main campus) and at the Dartmouth Medical Center(about a 10 minute drive away). Most PIs seem to have small labs(<10 members), mainly with graduate students though there are some post docs there as well. I had 6 interviews while I was there and all my interviewers seemed nice and pretty laid back.

bb9931

When did you hear about your acceptance? I am starting to really worry...

Thanks! My fingers are crossed at any rate. Yes, I did get to see some of the labs at both the Medical School(on the main campus) and at the Dartmouth Medical Center(about a 10 minute drive away). Most PIs seem to have small labs(<10 members), mainly with graduate students though there are some post docs there as well. I had 6 interviews while I was there and all my interviewers seemed nice and pretty laid back.

bb9931

When did you hear about your acceptance? I am starting to really worry...

Were the labs really far apart? I ask cos I can't drive! :)

I went to the first weekend of Dartmouth interviews (I'm the one who stayed out super late every night with the grad students, I'm a taller white guy with light brown hair if you remember me) and it's between Dartmouth and Emory now. I loved Dartmouth though so I will probably be attending. I have a car but I will be commuting by bicycle and there are bike trails and mountain bike trails everywhere. Everything is pretty close by so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I didn't hear back until after a week later than everyone else so that worried me but it all worked out.

I already learned that a few people who were cool on the interview weekend are going so I'm sure it will be a good group. I'm now looking for a lab to work in during the summer which is what I want to be sure of before I accept. Also, my girlfriend is in Atlanta so she would be really upset if I don't go to Emory. It's a tough decision but I think I already know what is the right decision for me.

Looks like we will all get to know each other once I formally make my decision! Woot!

Edited by Zeek

Good luck with your decision Zeek!

I have also not fomally accepted the offer but I'm pretty sure I will; everyone is saying such wonderful things about the college and the program.

So would you recommend buying a bicycle to get around? I won't have a car, and the mountain trails sound like fun.

Good luck with your decision Zeek!

I have also not fomally accepted the offer but I'm pretty sure I will; everyone is saying such wonderful things about the college and the program.

So would you recommend buying a bicycle to get around? I won't have a car, and the mountain trails sound like fun.

It may not be the easiest in the winter (though I will be bicycling all year to get around) I think getting a hardtail mountain bike would be a great commuter that you could use for mountain biking as well. If we are both in town at the same time I can help out with any bike-finding / fixing skills I have. I think a good idea would be to have roommates because most of the time you can just get a ride and go grocery shopping, skiing, climbing, etc together.

I'm hoping to get a house if possible the first year. I'm hearing back about possibly starting as a lab tech April 1st so I may be able to give everybody some better information about the town. If I can start in April I will be heading to Dartmouth!

Hi everyone,

I also got the offer from MCB Dartmouth weeks ago. This program, this college and this town, to me, are really fascinating. However, I got another offer from Graduate School of Biological Sciences of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, and I am currently facing a hard decision between these two institutions. It would be grateful if you could give me some advices regarding this situation?

Many Thanks!

It may not be the easiest in the winter (though I will be bicycling all year to get around) I think getting a hardtail mountain bike would be a great commuter that you could use for mountain biking as well. If we are both in town at the same time I can help out with any bike-finding / fixing skills I have. I think a good idea would be to have roommates because most of the time you can just get a ride and go grocery shopping, skiing, climbing, etc together.

I'm hoping to get a house if possible the first year. I'm hearing back about possibly starting as a lab tech April 1st so I may be able to give everybody some better information about the town. If I can start in April I will be heading to Dartmouth!

Hey thanks for the feedback and hope you get the lab tech position!

I will think through my modes of transportation options. Coming from India, I am completely unaccustomed to cold weather so cycling in snow should be interesting, but what's not to try, right?

Only-time, congrats on both the offers! I'm afraid I don't know enough about Mount Sinai to advise you on this, but I've read some really great work coming out of it. I think Dartmouth is incredible, of course.

I'm sure you've considered the work going on in each very carefully with regard to your own research interests. Have you tried writing to the PIs whose work you are interested in and gauging their response to your mails? That might help channelise your preferences.

Thank you kinjal. I appreciate your kind advice. Have you gotten any news from Northwestern?

No, I haven't :/ But I think I prefer Dartmouth anyway so after a few days I'll just go ahead and accept it notwithstanding Northwestern so I can get started with my visa procedure.

No, I haven't :/ But I think I prefer Dartmouth anyway so after a few days I'll just go ahead and accept it notwithstanding Northwestern so I can get started with my visa procedure.

Best wishes to you, kinjal. I am also heading to my final decision at full speed. :rolleyes:

Hey, I replied to your meet and greet post cos I saw it first! I had a phone interview, which was very informal as well. Who did your interview? I've accepted the offer already, it was the program I really wanted so I'm very happy. :)

I hope you accept, it would be great to know someone sort of before going!

I have also accepted the MCB offer :)

Edited by kinjal