MCB Dartmouth

Nancy

Hey, I replied to your meet and greet post cos I saw it first! I had a phone interview, which was very informal as well. Who did your interview? I've accepted the offer already, it was the program I really wanted so I'm very happy. :)

I hope you accept, it would be great to know someone sort of before going!

I have also accepted the MCB offer :)

Hey, that's great about other people accepting offers, I'm really excited about moving there from the UK and getting to meet you all in person.

What are everyone elses summer plans? I think I'm going to stay in the UK, both to say goodbye to my home but also getting a visa sorted is going to take a lot of time.

Nice to meet you all, and congrats on accepting :)

Ya this is great! I'd also like to spend time at home before leaving, plus in between I'm working in a lab for a really short time - just 10 days - because I really like the research there.

Other than that yeah the visa thing and sorting and packing all my stuff :/ Huge job

Hey nutmeg good luck on hearing back from them!

What was your interview like? Did they walk you through the department buildings and labs too?

bb9931 do you mean you are joining the Dartmouth MCB program this fall as well? Or is this another program at Darmouth? Welcome to the club, at any rate :)

Yes I am starting MCB in the Fall!!! My email is bb9931@wayne.edu if any of you MCB folk wanna get a hold of me :-P.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I will be attending Dartmouth MCB this fall. Just drop me a message:) Also I went to the first interview weekend so zeek, I probably saw you;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Dartmouth! So I'm up in Hanover right now working in Mako Saito's lab and it's great. He's pretty awesome to work for if any of you are considering rotating in his lab. I'm living in Sachem village right now and it's easily bikeable to town (there is a big hill going into town and going back to Sachem though). I've gone out every weekend with MCB people and I've barely had a minute to unpack I've been so busy in lab and riding in this gorgeous area.

I really feel it's a pretty special place where you can get great training while still enjoy your life. If anyone has any questions just PM me.

Oh, and I doubt anyone would be able to recognize me from describing myself online because I'm pretty generic. I'm a 6'2" white guy. I had a brown blazer on and was at the first weekend. Also, I went out with the MCB students to the bar when people had the choice to do that or sleep. Even if you don't have any clue I'll still see everyone who is coming this fall!

I'm thinking of getting a canoe or rafting trip going for all the new MCBers the weekend before everything starts if anyone is interested. Once I can get a list of all the new people I'll shoot out some emails and see what I can get going.

Wow, congratulations to you guys.

I am planning to apply to Dartmouth's MCB program next Fall. I am an international student from the Philippines an am a bit anxious about the acceptance rate for international students. I am hoping you guys can help me with this information later on.

Best of luck on your graduate studies. :)

Wow, congratulations to you guys.

I am planning to apply to Dartmouth's MCB program next Fall. I am an international student from the Philippines an am a bit anxious about the acceptance rate for international students. I am hoping you guys can help me with this information later on.

Best of luck on your graduate studies. :)

Hey that's great news good luck with your application!

I personally think they're really open to international students (I'm from India) so I'm sure you stand a great chance!

Here's the link to the college diversity page http://www.dartmouth.edu/home/about/diversity.html

Plus I had met two professors in India once and they were both unanimous in agreeing that being international will not work against you.

Good luck to you :)

On 4/19/2010 at 1:38 PM, kinjal said:

Hey that's great news good luck with your application!

I personally think they're really open to international students (I'm from India) so I'm sure you stand a great chance!

Here's the link to the college diversity page http://www.dartmouth.../diversity.html

Plus I had met two professors in India once and they were both unanimous in agreeing that being international will not work against you.

Good luck to you :)

Thank you very much. I am really hoping for things to work out well.

• 1 year later...

Hey!

I am happy to hear you accepted your offer to Dartmouth MCB. I have accepted also. I was an intern last summer here as part of the SURF program and was hired back in January. so I have been here a while. I am living in Lebanon, NH right now which is the town over from Hanover. Do you know where you will be staying? There are a few options for Graduate housing here. If you already know what you are going to do, ignore the following...1. You can stay at whats called "North Park". This is where first years usually go. It is kind of like living in unisex dorm apartments. It is beneficial for someone who doesnt know the area or have any friends/family in the area bc you get to live with other MCB students. It is also within walking distance to the school (not the hospital though). 2. You can live in "Sachem Village" which pretty much like a graduate student housing "village" about 2mi away from the school. I will prob move here my second year. 3. you can look on Craigslist and just rent any apartment available in the area. There are buses that run during the week that will take you pretty much anywhere you want in the area and a Dartmouth Coach bus system that will take you to Boston and NY also I believe. The only downside is that buses don't run on the weekends so if you are doing a rotation or something at thew hospital you will have to take a cab or ride a bike if your motivated to.

I did have interviews. It was really fun. They are really laid back here. It is a small town and there is not really a lot to do in Hanover. There are a few good places to eat/drink on Main St and there are more places in Lebanon. I like Dartmouth because it is surrounded by nature and there are a lot of places to camp/hike etc. It gets really cold in the winter though. People think because i am from the area that I like the cold and the snow and what not. I don't like it I am just used to it by now.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jen

Hey all,

Did anyone apply for Dartmouth's MCB program? If so, have you heard back, and will you be attending? :)

I got the acceptance last Thursday and will definitely be taking the offer. I'm a student from the UK, does anyone know anything more about the program and the college than the website says? Anyone go visit for their interview, and if so, what was it like?

I'll stop with the questions now, but I'd love to hear back from anyone who applied/considered it.

:)

Hey Jen,

We already know each other, one amusing evening at a party in Vermont! :-) x

Hey!

I am happy to hear you accepted your offer to Dartmouth MCB. I have accepted also. I was an intern last summer here as part of the SURF program and was hired back in January. so I have been here a while. I am living in Lebanon, NH right now which is the town over from Hanover. Do you know where you will be staying? There are a few options for Graduate housing here. If you already know what you are going to do, ignore the following...1. You can stay at whats called "North Park". This is where first years usually go. It is kind of like living in unisex dorm apartments. It is beneficial for someone who doesnt know the area or have any friends/family in the area bc you get to live with other MCB students. It is also within walking distance to the school (not the hospital though). 2. You can live in "Sachem Village" which pretty much like a graduate student housing "village" about 2mi away from the school. I will prob move here my second year. 3. you can look on Craigslist and just rent any apartment available in the area. There are buses that run during the week that will take you pretty much anywhere you want in the area and a Dartmouth Coach bus system that will take you to Boston and NY also I believe. The only downside is that buses don't run on the weekends so if you are doing a rotation or something at thew hospital you will have to take a cab or ride a bike if your motivated to.

I did have interviews. It was really fun. They are really laid back here. It is a small town and there is not really a lot to do in Hanover. There are a few good places to eat/drink on Main St and there are more places in Lebanon. I like Dartmouth because it is surrounded by nature and there are a lot of places to camp/hike etc. It gets really cold in the winter though. People think because i am from the area that I like the cold and the snow and what not. I don't like it I am just used to it by now.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jen

Wow, Nancy I am so dumb. I just realized this post was from you when I saw that you studied palaeontology. And I was thinking it was from this year and it is totally not, so......yeah.

Hey,

I did my integrated masters at Bristol University, in Palaeontology. I work on the molecular aspects of Palaeobiology, molecular clock dates of animal lineage divergence, and at the moment I'm researching whole genome duplication events and gene paralogy group splits in the evolutionary history of the vertebrates. I'm really interested in working with Kevin Peterson, but I really want that year to work with a variety of people and make sure I'm doing the right thing for my doctorate!

As for North Park, there's forms on the website where you can apply as soon as you've decided.

It's nice to get to know more about another MCB person! laugh.gif

• 8 months later...