University of Iowa

PRguy101

Is anyone else considering the University of Iowa? I went to an admitted students day for my department and I fell in love with Iowa City. I am typically a big city kind of person, but I never felt out of place in Iowa City. Trendy, rolling hills, beautiful campus...I was pretty impressed.

Iowa's my undergrad institution. It's a great place - although there have been times in the middle of winter when I wished I was anywhere else (I'm really not that fond of the cold). But the campus is really beautiful around late March/early April when the trees start to blossom again and you can go for walks by the river with only a light coat on. The environment is a lot more friendly than you would find in a large city as well, and the crime rate is quite low. And, of course, there's plenty to do downtown and in nearby Coralville. If you came here, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for housing in Iowa City? I am looking for a quiet part of town, since I will be reading all the time! I know that it is a college town and that there will be parties everywhere, but are there any streets/neighborhoods in particular that I should stay away from? Also, how much would you say is a good price for a one bedroom apartment? I am moving from a big city, so the rent prices are much lower than what I'm accustomed. I don't want to pay too much!

Does anyone have any suggestions for housing in Iowa City? I am looking for a quiet part of town, since I will be reading all the time! I know that it is a college town and that there will be parties everywhere, but are there any streets/neighborhoods in particular that I should stay away from? Also, how much would you say is a good price for a one bedroom apartment? I am moving from a big city, so the rent prices are much lower than what I'm accustomed. I don't want to pay too much!

I just found out that I was accepted at Iowa, and would echo the above questions. Where are good, reasonable priced places to live? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I just found out that I was accepted at Iowa, and would echo the above questions. Where are good, reasonable priced places to live? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I found this at another thread:

As an undergrad in Iowa City, I've been living in the dorms, so you may want to take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I can give you a bit of basic advice, if you like.

If quiet is what you want, avoid the downtown area to the east of the river, near campus. That means Market, Burlington, Gilbert, Dodge, Van Buren, and Johnson streets, essentially. From what I know, however, the area south of Burlington is pretty quiet - the people who tend to hang out near the bars don't really go into the residential areas unless they live there, and most of them tend to be undergraduates living in the apartments nearer campus.

Just about anywhere on the west side of the river is great. Quiet, relatively close to campus, etc. The Cambus, which is the free busline run by the university, stops at several places on Melrose Ave that I know of, so I'd guess that UniversityHeights would be a great place to live for convenience, if you can find any houses to rent there. If you live farther away from campus, you might want to invest in a public bus pass - even if you have a car, the parking on campus can be a real pain, and expensive as well.

I'm not sure about pricing, but Iowa City is pretty cheap in general. I think that renting a house for somewhere between $1500 and $3000 a month is common, but I'm not that sure about the quality of the house.

Good luck to you! Iowa City's a pretty nice, affordable place to live, so you should be able to find a place you like at a decent price.

I was warned by my future adviser to stay away from downtown if I want peace and quiet. When I visited, I stayed in a hotel downtown and my word can those "kids" party!! It was a Wed night! It was pretty loud. On the other hand, downtown living is convenient and a walk to campus. I am thinking about getting something on the west side of the campus near the law school and UI hospital.

Btw, I checked out the graduate housing and yeah.....pretty shabby and small. Looked like a bomb shelter. It is pretty inexpensive though, so that is a plus. It isn't near campus (close but not a walk) so you have to take the bus. If I have to take the bus anyway, why stay in graduate housing??

Apartments are filling up fast already for the Fall 2010 season. I plan on taking a spring break trip to look around, but this time just for housing.

Maybe we can all have a gradcafe drink in August! Nice to meet new colleagues and friends in other departments :D

A couple Apartment links

http://www.barkalowhomes.com/properties.php

http://www.aptsdowntown.com/

I am very likely to end up in Iowa. I am really impressed with all I read about the city.

I am going to visit at the end of this month and if I decide to go, I hope to secure housing on a second visit mid-April (hopefully everything isn't gone by then!)

I asked a grad student about that (I am planning on securing housing in mid-April) and she said there will be housing available until about May, after that it would be really hard to find.

I would like to ask those in the know about snow. How much? How often? Is it a constant companion all winter? Or does it come and go?

Hey, I'm an undergrad at Iowa. Regarding those discussing housing options--the downtown area is obscenely noisy (I live right downtown and constantly have to listen to drunk college students screaming and sirens, you'd think we didn't live in the middle of where-the-fuck-are-you, midwest.) Nevertheless, the winters are bad enough that I think its better to live downtown and put up with the noise rather than have to walk to class in during the middle of January. There's also very little in the way of parking--and its expensive, so you don't want to have to drive to class. I have a single with Apartments Near Campus--I've been living there for two years. Originally I liked the apartment company, however recently the security has gone to hell. We have homeless people sleeping in the laundry room in my apartment building, and I've had two of them try to break into my apartment (they got halfway through the door before I pushed them out). Even though Iowa City is a relatively rural, we still have a rather extensive homeless problem. Anyways, when I informed the apartment company what had happened, and asked them to get better locks on the building (any key opens any of ANC's apt buildings) they told me they weren't responsible for security concerns. You might want to avoid them.

Hey, I'm an undergrad at Iowa. Regarding those discussing housing options--the downtown area is obscenely noisy (I live right downtown and constantly have to listen to drunk college students screaming and sirens, you'd think we didn't live in the middle of where-the-fuck-are-you, midwest.) Nevertheless, the winters are bad enough that I think its better to live downtown and put up with the noise rather than have to walk to class in during the middle of January. There's also very little in the way of parking--and its expensive, so you don't want to have to drive to class. I have a single with Apartments Near Campus--I've been living there for two years. Originally I liked the apartment company, however recently the security has gone to hell. We have homeless people sleeping in the laundry room in my apartment building, and I've had two of them try to break into my apartment (they got halfway through the door before I pushed them out). Even though Iowa City is a relatively rural, we still have a rather extensive homeless problem. Anyways, when I informed the apartment company what had happened, and asked them to get better locks on the building (any key opens any of ANC's apt buildings) they told me they weren't responsible for security concerns. You might want to avoid them.

That is a horror story! Personally, I would hate the noise more than the walk/commute. As a graduate student, I will not have to be on campus every day (more like 2-3 days/week). It looks like Coralville might be where I'm headed. In your opinion, do the drunk undergrads primarily party in downtown Iowa City? Also, is a commute from Coralville via public transportation/U-Iowa transportation plausible? How many people do this? Also, riding my bike is a possibility, weather permitting.

I asked a grad student about that (I am planning on securing housing in mid-April) and she said there will be housing available until about May, after that it would be really hard to find.

I would like to ask those in the know about snow. How much? How often? Is it a constant companion all winter? Or does it come and go?

I would expect snow from late December through March-April. It will all melt in the middle of March, and people will think Spring has finally arrived, then a late-season blizzard will dump over a foot. All in all, I think you have to worry about snow 3 months out of the year.

I would expect snow from late December through March-April. It will all melt in the middle of March, and people will think Spring has finally arrived, then a late-season blizzard will dump over a foot. All in all, I think you have to worry about snow 3 months out of the year.

Thanks!

That isn't to bad.

Also, what are the boundaries when people are talking about downtown IC? Is that around the campus?

That is a horror story! Personally, I would hate the noise more than the walk/commute. As a graduate student, I will not have to be on campus every day (more like 2-3 days/week). It looks like Coralville might be where I'm headed. In your opinion, do the drunk undergrads primarily party in downtown Iowa City? Also, is a commute from Coralville via public transportation/U-Iowa transportation plausible? How many people do this? Also, riding my bike is a possibility, weather permitting.

The undergrads usually just party in downtown Iowa City. They can't easily get to coralville---nobody wants to drive drunk. I haven't commuted from coralville via public transportation myself--i know its possible with iowa city transporation, I dont' think it is with UIowa transportation--personally, I find that I get really nauseaus via busses so I avoid it. I don't really know of anyone that takes the bus regularly from coralville to iowa city--if they live in coralville, they usually have a car. Biking isn't really plausible from cville to iowa city--it would be a pretty long ride with all of your textbooks and the like, not to mention, you can't really bike from november through march. The horror stories you hear about the snow in Iowa are very accurate. I swear the period from early December to Mid-February is just one long, horrible blizzard. Especially this last winter. It actually can be quite amusing--there's a really large hill on campus, when its snowy out the busses have to serpentine across the road to get up the hill (often they end up sliding back down)

• 2 weeks later...

The undergrads usually just party in downtown Iowa City. They can't easily get to coralville---nobody wants to drive drunk. I haven't commuted from coralville via public transportation myself--i know its possible with iowa city transporation, I dont' think it is with UIowa transportation--personally, I find that I get really nauseaus via busses so I avoid it. I don't really know of anyone that takes the bus regularly from coralville to iowa city--if they live in coralville, they usually have a car. Biking isn't really plausible from cville to iowa city--it would be a pretty long ride with all of your textbooks and the like, not to mention, you can't really bike from november through march. The horror stories you hear about the snow in Iowa are very accurate. I swear the period from early December to Mid-February is just one long, horrible blizzard. Especially this last winter. It actually can be quite amusing--there's a really large hill on campus, when its snowy out the busses have to serpentine across the road to get up the hill (often they end up sliding back down)

Does anyone know anything about the trains? I see a lot of apartments that are RIGHT next to the trains, and I am wondering how frequent the trains are.

I recently got back from apartment hunting in IC. Slim pickings if you want to live downtown (after looking at some places I decided downtown wasn't for me due to size, cleanliness of places, etc. This also made me happy that I didn't rent sight unseen!)The apartment complexes were quick to inform me that they started renting in Dec and that I was behind the power curve. Ya think?;)

As you make your way toward University Heights (near the law school and hospital) there are tons more options. Much more quiet out there, but not a walk to campus. I ended up getting a nice two bedroom in University Heights not far from Kinnick Stadium for about $600. Happy Apt hunting future Hawkeye family!

Hi folks,

Pleased to meet y'all. I just accepted an offer from Iowa, so I'm joining your little party here. I'm also a current student, so I can tell you, captiv8ed, we don't get that many major snowstorms, but what snow we get stays forever. It doesn't melt for simply ages. Right now, though, we're getting rain instead. It's kind of pleasant, actually - I really like spring in Iowa City. I just wish it started earlier. :)

I just accepted a university apartment at Hawkeye Court. While I hear they are run-down, they are at least cheap at $485 for a one bedroom that includes cable and internet. I'm living overseas right now and wasn't willing to rent sight unseen from a realtor, so I thought sticking with university housing would be a safe bet. If the apartment really sucks I can always move out after one year when I am on the ground in Iowa City.

I just accepted a university apartment at Hawkeye Court. While I hear they are run-down, they are at least cheap at $485 for a one bedroom that includes cable and internet. I'm living overseas right now and wasn't willing to rent sight unseen from a realtor, so I thought sticking with university housing would be a safe bet. If the apartment really sucks I can always move out after one year when I am on the ground in Iowa City.

I checked them out when I was in town two weeks ago. While I didn't think they were for me, you could do worse (I saw worse downtown and they wanted $800 for it and it was a one bedroom!) I applied as a backup and I was told that demand was high this year. I am not sure which complex is near the workout/gym facility but it was only a walk from that. The Cambus also is a good deal for you. I will have to take the city bus, even though the Cambus goes right past my apartment to get to Hawkeye Court! Booo.

Does anyone know anything about the trains? I see a lot of apartments that are RIGHT next to the trains, and I am wondering how frequent the trains are.

I just got back from apartment hunting and was wary of places too close to the tracks as well. I'm sure the UI undergrads on here can speak to this better, but the tracks are for freight trains that seem pretty active. I managed to ask a girl walking out of an apartment building near the tracks how bothersome the noise was, and she said that the trains go through late every night, and blow their whistles (eek!). She was apparently woken up every night for about the first two weeks she lived in the apartment, and then got used to it.

I just got back from apartment hunting and was wary of places too close to the tracks as well. I'm sure the UI undergrads on here can speak to this better, but the tracks are for freight trains that seem pretty active. I managed to ask a girl walking out of an apartment building near the tracks how bothersome the noise was, and she said that the trains go through late every night, and blow their whistles (eek!). She was apparently woken up every night for about the first two weeks she lived in the apartment, and then got used to it.

I ended up signing for an apartment out in Coralville. I think it was a smart move. I do not want to be by undergraduates!

• 2 months later...

I ended up signing for an apartment out in Coralville. I think it was a smart move. I do not want to be by undergraduates!

The company that I signed with is an absolute joke. They are called Kacena Real Estate Management, also known as K-REM. If anyone else is looking for housing in the Iowa City/Coralville area, then stay away from properties owned, operated, or associated with K-REM. They keep security deposits based on bogus claims, and many of their tenants have sued them in the past. Their office is basically a machine shed in the industrial sector of the city. Expect shoddy housing if you sign with them. But my advice is to simply stay away. There are numerous vacancies all over the place, so K-REM is not the only game in town. River City Property Management is also a pretty crappy company (I have friends who have dealt with them). But please, stay away from Kacena Real Estate Management. Renter Beware!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use