NSERC 2010-2011

itsAnewStart

Hey guys ... what happened to that Queen's rumor :) ?

What are chances with 2 second publications as co-author and 2 conference presentations ? I heard it is very important to have first author publications to get NSERC . Anyone to comment on this ?

For a PGS/CGS? I think you're in very good shape for a PGS/CGS. For a PDF, probably not.

From what i know and found out from friends that got accepted and rejected, it seems that how much you rank in your university (in addition to ur reference letters) play a big role!!

As for Queen's, no more news yet! But i can tell that the heat is increasing :)

From what i know and found out from friends that got accepted and rejected, it seems that how much you rank in your university (in addition to ur reference letters) play a big role!!

As for Queen's, no more news yet! But i can tell that the heat is increasing :)

:) i m also in uwaterloo ... very uncertain about the criteria and day by day heart beat is increasing :)

Hi Guys,

I have applied for NSERC PDF 2010-2011. I have 2 1st author (submitted), 3 co-author journal (Accepted), and 12 conferences (7 1st author, 5 co-author). What are chances to get the scholarship? Any idea ...

I guess it totally depends on major and competition of a particular year...

Hi Guys,

I have applied for NSERC PDF 2010-2011. I have 2 1st author (submitted), 3 co-author journal (Accepted), and 12 conferences (7 1st author, 5 co-author). What are chances to get the scholarship? Any idea ...

I guess pdf this year would be particularly competitive due to the tough season in academia.

Hi Guys,

This is getting nerve-racking now as the days are approaching..

i m just wondering where do i stand in the queue for PGS-D... i ve 2 journals (1 accepted, 1 published) and one conference paper from master's work all as first author, high 80 average in masters and PhD course works and hopefully good references from supervisors biggrin.gif .. any one having past experiences please share it.

How abt OGS, are the competition fierce as NSERC

Edited by mochachino

I hope we all get good results! I got my NSERC-CGS M last year so I have to apply for OGS this year

Just a question out of the topic, I applied for the Summer program in Japan this year as well!! Does anybody have any idea? im getting so nervous!

This is getting nerve-racking now as the days are approaching..

i m just wondering where do i stand in the queue for PGS-D... i ve 2 journals (1 accepted, 1 published) and one conference paper from master's work all as first author, high 80 average in masters and PhD course works and hopefully good references from supervisors biggrin.gif .. any one having past experiences please share it.

Personally, I think you're good for at least a PGS-D, and probably a CGS-D. It probably also depends on your discipline, but my guess based on my previous experiences is that you will get it. When I got my PGS-D, I had one paper published, one submitted, and about a half dozen oral presentations at international conferences, and I got it, and I was told afterwards that I was almost awarded a CGS-D. In any event, good luck! I've got my fingers crossed!

Has anyone tried to contact NSERC to check if they already sent out the letters or not?

I called them last week, and I got a lame response- "All the results will be mailed out on March 31st", which is what they say every year, and usually are untrue because I've always received my letters earlier than that. Maybe it's true this year, maybe not.

I called them last week, and I got a lame response- "All the results will be mailed out on March 31st", which is what they say every year, and usually are untrue because I've always received my letters earlier than that. Maybe it's true this year, maybe not.

was it "on" or "by"? :)

Personally, I think you're good for at least a PGS-D, and probably a CGS-D. It probably also depends on your discipline, but my guess based on my previous experiences is that you will get it. When I got my PGS-D, I had one paper published, one submitted, and about a half dozen oral presentations at international conferences, and I got it, and I was told afterwards that I was almost awarded a CGS-D. In any event, good luck! I've got my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info. letters could be on the mailbox already biggrin.gif

I don't recall the specifics, but my recollection was that she said on, and not by. Though they're fairly easy to get a hold of- the phone numbers are pretty easy to find on the NSERC website.

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to call my area responsible person (in my case, ECE), but i am only getting her voicemail! Is there any other number that i can call as well?

Hey guys ... what happened to that Queen's rumor :) ?

What are chances with 2 second publications as co-author and 2 conference presentations ? I heard it is very important to have first author publications to get NSERC . Anyone to comment on this ?

I know someone who got PGS-D in 2008-2009 competition and she didn't have any publication at the time and no conferecne presentation either. The thing is it always depends on the people you are competing against, that specific year

I know someone who got PGS-D in 2008-2009 competition and she didn't have any publication at the time and no conferecne presentation either. The thing is it always depends on the people you are competing against, that specific year

For things like the CGS-M/PGS-M/PGS-D/CGS-D, one thing that's very important is how your department and university ranked you, NSERC takes that seriously (afaik).

In my experience though, the single most effective predictor of whether or not you will get funded is how much effort you put into your application. I always put a lot of effort into writing my URSA/PGS-M/PGS-D applications, and I always got them. I had friends who did not put nearly the same effort into their applications (but whom otherwise seemed to have similar credentials, if not better grades) and were rejected. So, regardless of how well you do on this years competition- make sure you spend a lot of effort on it.