Laramie, WY

digits2006

I have been wait listed at the University of Wyoming. To pass the time I wanted to learn more about the city and the university just in case I do get accepted. Any info about the city, school, sports, and culture would be nice! Thanks so much!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have not, I applied to U of Wyo though, a former grad student there loved it but he needed to move to bigger cities. I, on the other hand, can't stand cities and want to live with nature and experience the college-town life.

want to live with nature and experience the college-town life.

I think you'll get that there.  You'd have easy access to several different WY/CO mountain ranges (Wind River Range is my personal favorite, there is a lifetime of backpacking/fishing explorations there), the Red Desert, and the vast "badlands" of Eastern Wyoming.  If you exhaust your explorations in Wyoming and northern Colorado you can easily head north to explore the 30 million public acres in Montana.  If you like to hunt, fish, climb, hike, mountain bike, canoe, etc you will be in an awesome spot!!!

Laramie & Cheyenne are small, somewhat isolated towns (i.e. don't expect major sporting events or big-name musical events).  But if you don't like big cities you should be right at home there...

I think you'll get that there.  You'd have easy access to several different WY/CO mountain ranges (Wind River Range is my personal favorite, there is a lifetime of backpacking/fishing explorations there), the Red Desert, and the vast "badlands" of Eastern Wyoming.  If you exhaust your explorations in Wyoming and northern Colorado you can easily head north to explore the 30 million public acres in Montana.  If you like to hunt, fish, climb, hike, mountain bike, canoe, etc you will be in an awesome spot!!!

Laramie & Cheyenne are small, somewhat isolated towns (i.e. don't expect major sporting events or big-name musical events).  But if you don't like big cities you should be right at home there...

I really, REALLY like your descriptions. Ahhhh, the adventures await, alas, I wait for their acceptance first. Hope I live the Wyoming life for 2 years!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Long time since this has been posted in.. wondering if any current students are around here and can give any info on best places for housing or recreation. Thanks! 

• 3 months later...

Laramie native here, did not attend UWYO, but have many friends/family that did. Laramie is very much a small college town and if you're coming from a bigger city will seem fairly isolated. Fort Collins, CO, home of Colorado State University is 60 miles away, Cheyenne, WY is 45, and Denver, CO, the closest big city is 150. Denver Airport is the one most people in Laramie fly in and out of, Laramie Airport is tiny and has very limited service.

As for recreation, it's great if you're into outdoor activities. Plenty of great places to run, bike, fish, camp, hunt, hike, etc. Medicine Bow National Forest isn't far and has a small ski area called Snowy Range. Otherwise it's about 120 miles to Steamboat, CO which is a major resort with world class skiing. Winter Park and Copper resorts are within about 3 hours drive as well, under good conditions.

As far as housing goes, there is a lot of UW housing for grad students that ranges in age, style, and quality. There are some newer townhouse style buildings that are quite nice, I believe they are called Bison Run, but the older stuff isn't very nice. Otherwise, off-campus housing is mostly older houses. There are some apartments, but the houses vastly outnumber them. Again, I never attended UW so what I know comes from what I've heard.