Stanford 2010

NsciApp

One thing I've heard (and seen, from the outside at least) is that the EV studios are much nicer building-wise than the low-rises. They were built more recently and are, well, nicer and newer.

Also, as far as the bed, the only unfurnished places are couples and family housing. If you want to put your own furniture in a furnished place, I think you have to find and pay for storage for the Stanford-owned furniture! Logical, but not what it was like in my undergrad dorms. Anyway you can look at floorplans and stuff for EV here, but they don't have room dimensions or anything: http://www.stanford....grad/ev_low.htm

Yeah, the low-rises definitely look dated but I like the idea of having a patio and they seemed pretty spacious (plus I liked the storage place under the stairs), although justifying $907 for it is a bit hard. Anyone know which has the nicest rooms overall of the 2 bedroom apartments, Lyman or Rains? Which one is newer?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going for an M.A. in East Asian Studies. I think I'll definitely be living in grad student housing as I'll be driving from Massachusetts - EEK! Anyone else making the 3,000 mile life voyage?

I'm going for EE PhD, also driving from Massachusetts. Leaning towards on-campus, at least for the first year, because my car isn't that big and it will really limit how much stuff I can bring. I'd love to come back to the east coast when I finish but I think it will do me good to live somewhere totally different for a while.

I'm going for EE PhD, also driving from Massachusetts. Leaning towards on-campus, at least for the first year, because my car isn't that big and it will really limit how much stuff I can bring. I'd love to come back to the east coast when I finish but I think it will do me good to live somewhere totally different for a while.

Is your username based on the band?

Anyone know how comfortable the furniture is in graduate housing? Is Munger mostly composed of law school students, or are there just more than might be in another location?

Woops, too late to use multiquote.

I visited both an EV studio and an EV townhouse. The couch in the townhouse was pretty comfy, but apparently the one in the studio sucked. I think its just based on luck. Wondering about the mattress myself. I'm gonna be having surgery this summer, so I might need to upgrade it to be able to get any sleep..

Woops, too late to use multiquote.

I visited both an EV studio and an EV townhouse. The couch in the townhouse was pretty comfy, but apparently the one in the studio sucked. I think its just based on luck. Wondering about the mattress myself. I'm gonna be having surgery this summer, so I might need to upgrade it to be able to get any sleep..

Yeah, I had a similar experience undergrad where the desk + chair provided were backkillers. It would have been difficult to replace it since I would need to keep the old stuff somewhere (pay for public storage maybe?).

Anyone knows if the SUNet ID requires sponsorship for graduate level (I am an international applicant)?

or it just activates automatically after 24 hrs?

I didn't need prior sponsorship - I was simply able to login after a day or so.

I will ask about housing. Is Rains 2 bedroom more comfortable than EV 2 bedroom efficiency ? the same quesiton for Lyman 2 bedroom and Rains 2 bedroom? the housing applications will start on April 14, so i think it is good to be prepared beforehand..

thats awesome! i haven't listened to them in years. great band.

I lived in Rains for three months while I did an REU at Stanford. Rains is probably the most social housing option, so I would lean toward it for a two-bedroom option. I personally thought Rains was nicer than EV overall and preferred the more social atmosphere. I didn't visit Lyman, mainly because Lyman is way on the other side of the campus from all the other housing. The only reason to live in Lyman is if you're engineering and want somewhere relatively quiet and close to lab.

I'm personally planning to live in Munger. Sure, it's more expensive, but damn, it's nice.

A tidbit: when I asked which grad housing option people liked best (aimed at every grad student i could find during visit weekend), pretty much everyone said rains. Also, they said "Munger is nice," which we all already know. This doesn't do me personally any good since I'll be living in couples housing (EV only....I think....), but I thought you all might want to know :)

Just accepted Stanford's offer today! I plan to live in a 2 bedroom at Munger. I'd really like to choose the person with whom I'll be living rather than getting a randomly assigned roommate. If any ladies are thinking about Munger, PM me.

I accepted Stanford's offer today.

Questions about housing:

- Is munger mostly law students or is it mixed (I'm CS)? How social is it?

- Are 4 bedroom places significantly bigger than 2 bedroom per person?

- I was told Lyman was good, are you sure that it is quiet there?

I accepted Stanford's offer today.

Questions about housing:

- Is munger mostly law students or is it mixed (I'm CS)? How social is it?

- Are 4 bedroom places significantly bigger than 2 bedroom per person?

- I was told Lyman was good, are you sure that it is quiet there?

-Munger is brand new, when I was there it was still under construction. I don't know to what extent it's going to be law students, but I am not a law student...

-The floor plans are available online

-That is what I was told. I never visited myself, as I said, it was quite isolated from all the other grad student housing.

The floor plans don't have dimensions (though it is possible to estimate based on bed size, etc).

How does health insurance work at Stanford?

Correct. In fact, the bed sizes are given, so if you really wanted to, I'm sure you could put scale bars on it.

How does health insurance work at Stanford?

google: cardinal care

Looks like Stanford health insurance (which you can decline if you have outside health insurance), is $800/quarter currently. Grad students get a 50% subsidy if they have a 25% or higher CA/RA or a stanford fellowship paying a stipend at at least the same level as a quarter-time CA/RA. If you have a 10-25% CA/RA/fellowship, you get a 25% subsidy on cardinal care.

So at least $1600/year, up to $3200/year if you don't have financial aid from Stanford. And...there's a $10 co-pay when you use Stanford health services. And...you can use other places if you want but they'll pay only a percentage, after a deductable.

Yay I'm going to have health insurance again.

I'm going for an M.A. in East Asian Studies. I think I'll definitely be living in grad student housing as I'll be driving from Massachusetts - EEK! Anyone else making the 3,000 mile life voyage?

hey embecker, i'm going for an MA in East Asian Studies too! I'm also relocating from the east coast (DC), but am looking at apartments in town.

hey embecker, i'm going for an MA in East Asian Studies too! I'm also relocating from the east coast (DC), but am looking at apartments in town.

Oh hey! My father lives in DC in fact, I'm down there from time to time. I'm weary of living on campus but hopefully it'll only be for the first year. Feel free to find me on Facebook sometime (Eva Becker) if you want!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use