New York, NY

You can get a room in a shared apartment in Queens / Brooklyn for 600-800.

As you are international hence you should have a trusted friend in NYC who could go and visit the place before you rent it. Follow the proper guide to save yourself from the scams if you are an international student and will only be entering US in August.

Hey thanks! Probably I'll try to arrive a bit earlier, find couchsurfing or find a room for a couple of days and search for the places. That seems the best in the middle of all scams. But, do you think would it be harder to find an affordable room in August if I do what I have in my mind?

Could someone explain the pros and cons of living at New Jersey vs Brooklyn please? After the last post, I checked Jersey City, prices seem much lower, and the distances are pretty much the same. I wonder what would I miss. 

I'm a public school teacher in New York, and schools in NYC are COMPLICATED because there are more than 1,700 schools in the 5 boroughs. Elementary and middle schools tend to be zoned (though some aren't and may require applications), and students apply to high schools while in 7th grade. I would recommend searching the schools in the different neighborhoods you are interested in living in. Along with DOE website, insideschools.org can be very helpful to get some more insight into the schools. 

In terms of where to live, I agree that Astoria is a good area because it has affordable housing, interesting things to do, and a manageable commute. Upper Manhattan, say above 86th St., will probably have more affordable apartments than other areas of Manhattan, but every neighborhood in Manhattan gets more expensive every year. Brooklyn used to be more affordable, but the neighborhoods that would have a short commute to NYU are becoming more popular. Still, you could research Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, and Prospect Heights because these are great family neighborhoods and you may be able to find a well-priced apartment. 

Thank you!

Hi, as some others on this thread, I'm an international student and will be moving to NY in august. I can't make it earlier and I have no idea how not to get scammed while searching for a place without looking at it :( I will be attending NYU. Would you reccomend any particular neibourghood with a good commute?

Thank you!

The Teachers College actually offers family housing in a safe neighborhood, but it's $7500 - $9000 per semester -- I'm unsure if that's okay for your budget. If I could ask, how much would you be able to spend each month?

I just looked, $9k-11k+ for one-two bedrooms.

The rent budget would depend on funding. Regardless I think even if I received great funding I would be taking out some loans, so I don't really want to push the rent budget, but school housing sounds nice if we could fit in a two bedroom. ;)

For those international students who will be moving to New York and can't visit, I strongly suggest that if you don't have a friend in the city who can visit apartments for you AND you can't afford, or don't want, to pay for a broker, that you arrange a short-term rental/sublet - like a month or two - and then use that time to find something more permanent in the city. It's generally a bad idea no matter where you go to sign a year's lease sight unseen, but I think it's especially a bad idea in New York's market because there are so many terrible situations you can get yourself into. It's not like a lot of American suburbs where most of the apartments are pretty similar to each other.

As for the question about broker's fees, there are two amounts that I have seen most frequently: 1) the equivalent of one month's rent; or 2) 12-15% of the first year's rent. The amount seems to depend on the kind of broker you get.

For those international students who will be moving to New York and can't visit, I strongly suggest that if you don't have a friend in the city who can visit apartments for you AND you can't afford, or don't want, to pay for a broker, that you arrange a short-term rental/sublet - like a month or two - and then use that time to find something more permanent in the city. It's generally a bad idea no matter where you go to sign a year's lease sight unseen, but I think it's especially a bad idea in New York's market because there are so many terrible situations you can get yourself into. It's not like a lot of American suburbs where most of the apartments are pretty similar to each other.

As for the question about broker's fees, there are two amounts that I have seen most frequently: 1) the equivalent of one month's rent; or 2) 12-15% of the first year's rent. The amount seems to depend on the kind of broker you get.

Hey that's very informative thanks! Do you think that would it be good idea to couchsurf or find a hostel or something for a week and look for opportunities? I mean, would a week be enough to find something nice or do I need a longer time? I know it can happen even in a day if I can find the correct thing, but still I'm talking about the averages now

Hey that's very informative thanks! Do you think that would it be good idea to couchsurf or find a hostel or something for a week and look for opportunities? I mean, would a week be enough to find something nice or do I need a longer time? I know it can happen even in a day if I can find the correct thing, but still I'm talking about the averages now

A week should be fine. Be sure you have all of your papers/contacts in order- bank statements, financial aid letter, employment letter, references from past landlords or roommates, credit report. That will make you seem more serious to the person who is showing you the apartment.

Just to add to this: When I first moved to New York, I had a summer sublet in a 3 bedroom in downtown Brooklyn (for $800). The program I was doing set up a forum to help connect people to find housing, and I lived with two girls who I had met through that forum. The apartment we sublet was leased to the friend of one of the girls I lived with. She sent me and the other girl pictures of it and told us it was great! I don't think I signed anything ahead of time, but I also didn't really have any other options. When I got the building, it was a really cool loft space, with 12ft ceilings and looked roughly like what was in the pictures. But (and this is a pretty big but), the walls were 8 ft high (with 12ft ceilings, remember!). Since it was a loft, it had been divided when the people we were subletting from moved in. They hadn't finished the walls to the ceiling, because it was more expensive. I was only there for 3 months, so it wasn't really that big of a deal, but I think it's a particularly excellent example of a case where even when the pictures look good AND are of the actual apartment you're going to move into, you can still be misled. So visiting in person is EXTREMELY important. Getting a short term sublet (2 weeks-a month) is a great way to make sure that you can visit in person. 

Also, for NYU/CUNY students: East Harlem is a great place to live! I lived right by the Metro-North stop at Madison and 125th for three years, and I worked for two years at Pleasant Ave and 116th. I lived in a two bedroom that was the ground floor of a brownstone for $1725 (with a washer/dryer), although I think that was an unusually good deal for how nice the apartment was. But as long as you're willing to live with roommates, there are some nice apartments around for good prices. The closer you are to the 4-5-6 stop at 125th, the shorter your commute will be (the train ride to Union Square from 125th St is 20 minutes or less, and the Second Ave line is hopefully going to actually open!). I know a lot of people find 125th to be sketchy around there, but I always felt safe. I had more than one dude tell me to get home safe when I scuttled home from the subway at 1 or 2 in the morning. 

Also: I'm sure it's been suggested somewhere in this thread, but I like padmapper best for searching for apartments. It culls from craigslist, but also a few other sources, and it has some really useful filters (you can look at no-fee only apartments, or set a max price per bedroom). 

Hey. Can some one tell me if it is possible to a studio apartment/ 1 bed apartment in brooklyn for something between 1000-1200. Also is it advisable to spend 1200 on housing if my stipend is around 2700.

thanks

Hey. Can some one tell me if it is possible to a studio apartment/ 1 bed apartment in brooklyn for something between 1000-1200. Also is it advisable to spend 1200 on housing if my stipend is around 2700.

thanks

No, I'm sorry. It would be extremely difficult to find a studio or 1 bedroom in Brooklyn anywhere near a subway line for that price. Just search housing on Craigslist with a maximum price of 1200. You mostly come up with room shares.

At your price point you would be looking at roommate situations where you could rent a room in a multi-bedroom apartment and share the living room space/kitchen with other people. This is totally normal in NYC.

thanks

If this stats is to be believed, rent constitutes 48% of expenses in NYC for Average income of about 3,263.57

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=United+States&city=New+York%2C+NY

Edited by Maxtini

No, I'm sorry. It would be extremely difficult to find a studio or 1 bedroom in Brooklyn anywhere near a subway line for that price. Just search housing on Craigslist with a maximum price of 1200. You mostly come up with room shares.

At your price point you would be looking at roommate situations where you could rent a room in a multi-bedroom apartment and share the living room space/kitchen with other people. This is totally normal in NYC.

Hi. Thanks a lot for the responsible. Given your suggestions, the 1 bedroom or studio seem off the table. I will try to look for a bedroom in a shared apartment but with private bathroom. I don't know why apartments in NYC don't have private bathroom for each bedroom.

Hi. Thanks a lot for the responsible. Given your suggestions, the 1 bedroom or studio seem off the table. I will try to look for a bedroom in a shared apartment but with private bathroom. I don't know why apartments in NYC don't have private bathroom for each bedroom.

Private bathrooms for each bedroom is a rare situation period. The only time I have ever seen it was it a luxury apartment complex built specifically for students, but that was in a college town upstate. You are not likely to find a shared apartment with private bathrooms in NYC unless you look at newer buildings, and even then it is still unlikely.

For what it's worth, the 116th St. subway station is located right outside of the gates of the Morningside Heights campus. So long as your apartment is within comfortable walking distance from a subway station, you'll never need to worry about a long walk. I bring this up because $2400 is pushing the limit for an apartment near Columbia, and so you may want to look into more affordable neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn. You can also look around Harlem, too -- it's closer to Morninside Heights, and the rental rates seem to be within your range (though they'll definitely be shooting up soon).

Thanks for the feedback! It's kinda disappointing to hear that you don't think I can find a 1-bedroom in Morningside Heights in the $2400 price range (I'm coming from California, which isn't cheap either, but I don't really have a gauge of what to expect at different price points in NYC), but I would be fine with being somewhere a little farther away as long as it's near a subway line that goes to 116th street and is relatively safe.

I've heard that it takes around an hour to get there from Brooklyn, though, which wouldn't be ideal if I can help it. Are there any specific areas within a 20-30 minute commute that you think would be in the right price range? Do my boyfriend and I have to suck it up and share a studio if I want to live closer to campus? Any specific neighborhoods in Harlem that you guys like? 

I did the commuter student thing throughout undergrad and I know I can handle it, but it would be really nice to be close to campus for once, at least during my first year in the city when it would be nice to be able to meet up with classmates on a whim or pop over to the library whenever. (Also, as a Californian who has never lived someplace with a winter, it would be really nice if, at least while I'm adjusting to my first winter in NYC, I didn't have to walk more than 10ish minutes to a subway stop. I can't even fathom negative 15 windchill yet, and yes, I know I'm a wimp.) 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

Thanks for the feedback! It's kinda disappointing to hear that you don't think I can find a 1-bedroom in Morningside Heights in the $2400 price range (I'm coming from California, which isn't cheap either, but I don't really have a gauge of what to expect at different price points in NYC), but I would be fine with being somewhere a little farther away as long as it's near a subway line that goes to 116th street and is relatively safe.

I've heard that it takes around an hour to get there from Brooklyn, though, which wouldn't be ideal if I can help it. Are there any specific areas within a 20-30 minute commute that you think would be in the right price range? Do my boyfriend and I have to suck it up and share a studio if I want to live closer to campus? Any specific neighborhoods in Harlem that you guys like? 

I did the commuter student thing throughout undergrad and I know I can handle it, but it would be really nice to be close to campus for once, at least during my first year in the city when it would be nice to be able to meet up with classmates on a whim or pop over to the library whenever. (Also, as a Californian who has never lived someplace with a winter, it would be really nice if, at least while I'm adjusting to my first winter in NYC, I didn't have to walk more than 10ish minutes to a subway stop. I can't even fathom negative 15 windchill yet, and yes, I know I'm a wimp.) 

There are places further north.  The 1-train stops at 135, 145, 157, 168 (medical campus), etc.  Anywhere near these areas have decent prices and take 15-30 min commute to 116th.  You might be able to find a place in $1100-$2000 price range.  But expect to pay a lot up front (1st month, last month, and security deposit).  Monthly subway passes are ~$120 and if you use it at least twice a day it'll be worth the price.  Also try places along Morningside and Fredrick Douglas.

I actually know of students getting subsidized Columbia apartments in the Morningside area.  Some grad students even pay as low as $1100 a month and share apartments with other Columbia students.  But I these students tend to get stuck in the "Columbia bubble."  It's nice to have an unlimited subway pass to roam the city on the weekends.

But hope you enjoy NYC.  I didn't really enjoy the city (I'm from the Southwest) and I'm glad to say I'll be in the LA-area this summer.

Hi everyone,

Rather than blast you all with a lengthy sublet and apartment listing, I just want to quickly ask if anyone would be interested in:

1) a furnished bedroom sublet in Hamilton Heights from May 24th through August 23rd (with these dates slightly flexible). It'd be $975 a month with all utilities included, and it's a recently rehabbed 4-bedroom, 2-bath. You'd be living with three women. Since this is my room, and I'm leaving my furniture and many belongings for use, I'm especially looking for someone trustworthy, responsible, and respectful.

2) an unfurnished bedroom in the same apartment, with a lease starting August 15th. Rent would be ~$950 a month (no utilities included, but our rent is probably going up on this new lease), but may drop down to around $825 by November (long story that can be explained later). You'd be living with three women and one man. 

All rooms in the apartment are super spacious and the apartment itself is quite nice--which is precisely why we want to continue living here. Also, Hamilton Heights is super convenient for Columbia students. ;) I'm actually a student at the CUNY GC down in Midtown, and I get along up here just fine.  :D

If you're interested in either opening, please send me a private message with a little information about yourself. I can send you pictures and more details. Thanks!

If you're lucky enough, you might get a spacious studio at Columbia housing. A friend of mine got a studio and she could even set a room partition to separate her bed and "TV plus sofa" hangout area. If you want to be out of Columbia bubble, I suggest you try looking for an apartment nearby train #1 stops like 137 or 145.

Also is it advisable to spend 1200 on housing if my stipend is around 2700.

thanks

I also spent around 45% of my stipend for housing, and I survived. Meals, entertainment, and the rest of expenses would really depend on your lifestyle.  

I spent about 41% of my stipend (after taxes) on housing. You just have to be more frugal in other areas. It's quite common for graduate students and young professionals in NYC to spend more than the recommended 33% on housing; that's just the reality of life, even if you are sharing. I would try to keep it below 50% if at all possible, but it depends on the size of your stipend and your lifestyle.

However, remember to factor in taxes into your stipend if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident! If you are going to change your residency to NYS you have to pay NYS AND NYC taxes. It ended up being about 15% of my stipend. My before-tax stipend was around $2500 and after taxes it went down to about $2200. (I don't know what the tax situation is for foreign nationals.)

Honestly, unless you are rolling in dough I wouldn't expect to live alone - I'd look for an apartment share. It's too expensive for most young people to live alone in NYC; the only ones of my friends I know who live in NYC and don't have roommates (or romantic partners) come from wealthy families and bought their own apartments with a down payment gift from their parents. And even if you can afford the $1500 or so to live alone, having the extra $500 in your pocket is good for savings, for emergencies...you never know what might happen, and when your income is low there is less of a cushion in case of an emergency.

Columbia gives preference in studios to couples and families, so I think it's not good to expect to get a studio in UAH housing (although the girl who lives across the hall from us has a small studio to herself!) However, you qualify as a domestic couple if you've been sharing finances, which for Columbia purposes means a joint bank account (that's actively used) for at least 6 months. Also, "subsidized" is a...well, I mean it's subsidized, but it's subsidized from the Morningside Heights prices so it's still expensive. My husband and I paid $1400/month for a two-room studio on 119th and Amsterdam (just steps from campus). I guess our studio would've probably cost $2400+ if it were on the regular market, which is ridiculous because it's small.

I had already lived further away from Columbia my first 3 years in the city so I didn't get stuck in the bubble, but I think it is very, very easy to if you live close to campus. We joke that the undergrads don't go past 110th or 120th Sts. but there are a lot of graduate students who don't go too far south of the Upper West Side and too far north of 125th St themselves. (I had a friend who lived in Central Harlem but refused to go to the movie theater on 125th St, a short walk from campus. He'd insist on going to the one on 86th St, which was further. I don't know why!)

Also a bit of advice to anyone willing, to reduce on cost a lot you might be able to find a two-room apartment (not two bedrooms, just literally two rooms+bathroom) in 145-157th St. area with a willing roommate.  I did that first two years here and it brought my rent to $550/month (total place was $1100/month).  It wasn't ideal since there can be limited privacy.  But for someone that just flew into the city with nothing but a duffel bag from a summer doing fieldwork at the base of the Rockies, it was what worked best for me.

If you do end up living in the 145 St. area I will recommend a coffee shop called Chipped Cup at 149th and there's two good bars next door (Harlem Public and a place literally named Bar).

I had already lived further away from Columbia my first 3 years in the city so I didn't get stuck in the bubble, but I think it is very, very easy to if you live close to campus. We joke that the undergrads don't go past 110th or 120th Sts. but there are a lot of graduate students who don't go too far south of the Upper West Side and too far north of 125th St themselves. (I had a friend who lived in Central Harlem but refused to go to the movie theater on 125th St, a short walk from campus. He'd insist on going to the one on 86th St, which was further. I don't know why!)

Yeah, the C train is just right around the corner of my apartment and the theatre in Harlem is pretty much around the corner from the 125th stop.  I sometimes just roll out of bed and watch a movie in my PJs.  Plus, it's never as crowded as the one on 86th.

Edited by ron2d2

Hey everyone! Trying to get information about housing in New York gets complicated as there are people everywhere, arguing nowhere is safe in New York. Considering my housing experiences, I have always seen that these "unsafe" arguments were never true. But I still wanted to ask here, are there any specific areas in New York, including Queens, Brooklyn, Jersey City etc that you would avoid, or you would say unsafe?

Thanks!