CUNY Grad Center

nybound

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may as well throw this out there, too. I'm going to be looking for a roommate in Brooklyn, probably around the middle of July. I'm trying to find one or two suitable roommates to split the rent. My price range is going to be somewhere around $500 - $800, and I'm looking at places mainly in Greenpoint and Williamsburg. I'm clean, considerate, and social, and I can cook pretty well. I'm female, mid-20s, and I pay bills on time.

If you, or anyone you may know, is looking for a roommate, definitely shoot me an email: LFAlix@gmail.com.

I just sent in my acceptance today! I'm in the doctoral program for ethnomusicology. So excited, yet starting to panic about finding a job and living expenses....any suggestions?

I agree!!

I'll PM the people who agreed come September then! :D

I may as well throw this out there, too. I'm going to be looking for a roommate in Brooklyn, probably around the middle of July. I'm trying to find one or two suitable roommates to split the rent. My price range is going to be somewhere around $500 - $800, and I'm looking at places mainly in Greenpoint and Williamsburg. I'm clean, considerate, and social, and I can cook pretty well. I'm female, mid-20s, and I pay bills on time.

If you, or anyone you may know, is looking for a roommate, definitely shoot me an email: LFAlix@gmail.com.

Any particular reason why you chose Brooklyn? I'm thinking of going to International House in Manhattan and getting the 3-4 bedroom apartment to share. My female best friend will be coming to NY too, so I'm looking for 1-2 roommates. But the rent there for a single room in that type of apartment is about $1,000-1,400, which is okay for Manhattan but still pricey in general..

I've never been to New York so I though IH is a safe choice. But if you know a safe and cheap place, then I'm definitely up for sharing! With CJD is fine too, the more the merrier :)

I just sent in my acceptance today! I'm in the doctoral program for ethnomusicology. So excited, yet starting to panic about finding a job and living expenses....any suggestions?

Talk to your international representative person! I'm sure they can help you with everything you need, I know mine has been extremely helpful. Alternatively, talk to people you know who are living in NYC.

Probably. I also have no idea how big NYC is but I know a few people who used to live there and they have sufficiently warned me about distances haha.

Manhattan is divided into these neat identical blocks, right? How big are they each?

I assumed that I could get a place about 10 blocks away from my campus and walk everyday, but a friend told me that's impossible! Of course, she could just be pointing out my lack of fitness :P

Manhattan is divided into these neat identical blocks, right? How big are they each?

I assumed that I could get a place about 10 blocks away from my campus and walk everyday, but a friend told me that's impossible! Of course, she could just be pointing out my lack of fitness :P

10 blocks is pretty subjective in NYC. 10 blocks north or south along the avenues in Manhattan is a snap to do, probably around 1/2 mile. 10 blocks along the Streets (e.g. 42nd St.), well, thats practically crossing the island. Many places in the outer Boroughs have similarly long blocks.

Probably. I also have no idea how big NYC is but I know a few people who used to live there and they have sufficiently warned me about distances haha.

You also need to factor in Subway routing. Some places may actually more quickly reached despite being further away if you just happened to be able to have a direct ride on an express train. Other locations may seem deceptively close yet physical features like the east river or gaps in the network make commutes extra long.

10 blocks is pretty subjective in NYC. 10 blocks north or south along the avenues in Manhattan is a snap to do, probably around 1/2 mile. 10 blocks along the Streets (e.g. 42nd St.), well, thats practically crossing the island. Many places in the outer Boroughs have similarly long blocks.

hey everyone,

Maybe I can help a little. I've lived in NYC most of my life (and will likely be attending baruch for I/O psych phd). NYC is not huge in terms of literal distances (i.e. the size of manhattan is only approx. 23 sq. miles) BUT getting around the city is VERY time consuming... SO, if you're attending school in manhattan, and choose to live in manhattan, check if your school is located on the east or the west side of the island (east or west of 5th ave) you can tell by checking the school's address (i.e. 123 East 1st St. or 123 W. 1st St.) and live on that side of the island. Travelling North to South in manhattan is very easy. East to West gets very difficult (only buses go E to W) unless you are below 42nd st (times square). Note, this advice is for someone expecting to rely on public transport.

I do not recommend bringing a car into manhattan (unless you are able to pay exorbitant parking prices and get stuck in TONS of traffic). In the boroughs, it may make sense to bring a car.

If you choose to live in one of the other boroughs (and go to school in manhattan), expect anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour commuting time. (this varies based on subways, and where you live/ where you go to school). I'm not going to elaborate on everything here, because it will take FOREVER, but feel free to PM me with questions...

Just a few more pointers- NYC has some wonderful neighborhoods and some not so great neighborhoods. Where you live depends on your budget and kind of apartment you are looking for. Example: for $1000/ month, you can get a very large, sundrenched apt. waaaayyy out in brooklyn (by coney island), in a wonderful neighborhood, but your commute to midtown will be an hour to an hour and a half, each way OR, you could find a tiny box apt. somewhere in manhattan (if you're lucky, cuz that price is very low) but be in the heart of everything...

the rental market here fluctuates greatly (based on high and low moving seasons) and most apts. in manhattan are found using a realtor... expect to put down first month's rent and a month's rent for your deposit, plus whatever your realtor fee is) and i've noticed a lot of places on the forum where people have said they were expected to make an annual salary of 40-80X the rent price. In my experience, THIS IS TRUE, unless you have someone willing to cosign, so keep that in mind...

A few websites that can help:

www.hopstop.com (will give you distance, travel time and directions from point A to point B ), will also adjust for weekend construction related changes to the subways (EVERY weekend there is some sort of construction and subway confusion)

www.mta.info (MTA website- also has the subway and bus maps)

www.craigslist.com (yes, i know it's shady, but it's one of the best places to find apartments)

Edited by Jillybean

No problem :)

Also wanted to add (and for some reason couldn't edit the post above) that I would love to meet everyone for coffee! see you all in the fall! :P

Awesome! Looking forward to the start of the semester and to meeting all of you!

• 2 weeks later...

So I forgot about this forum until today -- it's great to find others who will be attending CUNY schools.

I'll be at Baruch's School of Business in the Organizational Behavior department. I live in the suburbs just north of the city and will be commuting in, but I've also lived in the city and am happy to be a resource, if needed.

Count me in for coffee -- I always find it really valuable to build a support network within my profession, but outside of my field. smile.gif

We should all get together for coffee later in the fall! :)

I'm in for the coffee meet-up too! I'll be going to CUNY City College for MFA in Media Arts Production, writing/directing documentary specialization.

i wish i had seen this thread so much earlier. it's great to see so many other folks coming to NY for school. i'll be starting at the Grad Center this fall but I have been in nyc since august last year.

i second all of what Jillybean had said. also, as shady as craigslist could be, i found some really decent sublets for the first month or two that i moved here last fall. i subletted in order to give myself more time to do a thorough apartment search and also because when i finally found the perfect apartment, i had to wait for renovations to be completed. in brooklyn, flatbush and lefferts-gardens is a really great area right near prospect park (which is HUGE) and there's a property management company going through a bunch of the buildings and renovating them with some really great details and amenities (dishwasher, microwave, light wood floors, marble floors in the bathroom and kitchen). seriously amazing. i recommend the area. i subletted in williamsburg and bushwick and i wasn't as impressed with the area.

in terms of finally committing to an apartment, jillybean is right- many places require making 40-80 times the rent or that you have a guarantor who does. if you don't meet either of those terms, they may still rent to you but you will have to put several months of rent in their hands.

as has been said, train rides from the non-manhattan buroughs to manhattan can be fast (for example, i live off a q and b stop and can get to the CUNY Grad Center in about half an hour to 45 minutes). from some parts of brooklyn though, it's hard to get to queens quickly.

Edited by samjones

• 2 months later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use