CMU-Pitts joint Ph.D. in Computational Biology

lamarck

Does anyone received the offer from the CMU-Pittsburgh University joint Ph.D. in Computational Biology? I am very interested in this program and now I am in the waiting list now. Does anyone got an offer from this program and does not want to accept it?

Does anyone received the offer from the CMU-Pittsburgh University joint Ph.D. in Computational Biology? I am very interested in this program and now I am in the waiting list now. Does anyone got an offer from this program and does not want to accept it?

I am also in the wait list. I think the result will be negative.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont know how what's their acceptance rate is.. but they did post statistics of their last batch of matriculated students:

GRE and GPA scores are only one factor considered by the Admissions Committee. Average scores and GPA for students offered admission to our program last year are: GRE Verbal: 593; GRE Quantitative: 781; GPA: 3.62/4.0.

I think they accept around 4 students each year (cmiiw)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wuy...which weekend are you going to? maybe we can meet each other there? hehe

Jan 17th-18th I believe. I got rejected by several big name schools though, which seems weird to me since they don't necessarily have better programs. Going to UCSF this weekend for their interview. Hope things go smoothly.

I have a friend in this program. And knowing that they only accept 4 a year is pretty crazy.

Edited by joro

• 3 weeks later...

I keep checking this forum waiting for someone to say they got some sort of letter. I'm waiting, too. Only 12 more days until they promised us they'd let us know!

Also... they said they were looking to accept around 10 this year, which is significantly more than 4. :)

Edited by LisaCurll

I was accepted to this program about two weeks ago, before I even interviewed. I was told during my interview that they like to accept a few students that they're "sure about" as soon as possible. I don't know if they've sent out the rest of the acceptances yet, though. It seems like a pretty awesome program, so I'm super happy to be accepted. biggrin.gif Definitely considering going there.

About the 10 people thing...would you happen to know if they're accepting 10 people total, or if they have 10 slots and will actually accept more than that, since not everyone will actually enroll?

I was accepted to this program about two weeks ago, before I even interviewed. I was told during my interview that they like to accept a few students that they're "sure about" as soon as possible. I don't know if they've sent out the rest of the acceptances yet, though. It seems like a pretty awesome program, so I'm super happy to be accepted. biggrin.gif Definitely considering going there.

About the 10 people thing...would you happen to know if they're accepting 10 people total, or if they have 10 slots and will actually accept more than that, since not everyone will actually enroll?

Congratulations :) I went to the first interview session, apparently the computer system had a glitch and was sending out rejection letters by mistake. I didn't get one, but I know at least one person did. He was in an interview at the time... that must have been nerve-wracking.

I'm definitely hoping for an acceptance - this school would be my first choice.

They said they invited 33 people for interviews and anticipated inviting around 30, with the hope that 10-ish would accept. If that is what they do, I would really hate to be one of the 3 they decided weren't a good fit. =/ I'll have degrees in Applied Mathematics and Biology, and this is really what I would like to move into next.

They said they invited 33 people for interviews and anticipated inviting around 30, with the hope that 10-ish would accept.

That's good to hear. I know some people that would really like to get in as well.

Best of luck to you, and let us know when you hear back from them!

Hi,

I also got an interview from CMU-Pitt. They said that they're going to send out decisions by, uhm, today --Friday--. I havent heard anything from them. I saw one result submitted to the result page today.

I was contacted by the Pitt side, I am wondering if others have heard anything from them or not.

I am definitely hoping for admission. :unsure:

Edited by puzzle

Hi,

I also got an interview from CMU-Pitt. They said that they're going to send out decisions by, uhm, today --Friday--. I havent heard anything from them. I saw one result submitted to the result page today.

I was contacted by the Pitt side, I am wondering if others have heard anything from them or not.

I am definitely hoping for admission. :unsure:

I just found the result you noticed, says they were accepted, blah. I haven't heard anything yet, but I was told March 15th, which would be Tuesday, so my heart isn't broken yet.

I just wish I was one of the ones that were being accepted already, lol.

EDIT: Wow, that was awful grammar, sorry.

Edited by LisaCurll

Received an acceptance email at 6:21 p.m. EST! Yay! Will be accepting :D

Yaay, congrats!! :D

If you don't mind me asking, what in particular makes this your first choice program? I'm trying to decide between this and one other school, so any outside perspectives would help.

Yaay, congrats!! :D

If you don't mind me asking, what in particular makes this your first choice program? I'm trying to decide between this and one other school, so any outside perspectives would help.

I'm primarily a mathematician, and some of the the ODE systems they use (and the professors working with them) are right up my alley. Carnegie Mellon is also well-known as computationally strong... if you've never seen their Robotics school in action, you'll have to, they build the coolest things. The location helps me, too - I'm from Youngstown, Ohio and I've been to several conferences in Pittsburgh, and they've been to at least one of ours, so I've seen the quality of their students first-hand. One of my advisors for one of my research programs had his Ph.D. from Pitt in mathematics dealing with neuroscience. I feel like I'll fit right into their family. I also really appreciate that CMU and Pitt are working together, I think it gives us a much broader range of options and resources. I didn't have a particular biological project in mind when I applied or interviewed, so I don't know how to help on that end, but there seem to be a lot of options there, too. I'm interested in the systems modeling of inflammation related to influenza, and they may be starting a new project looking at modeling malaria within the mosquito (instead of just the human element). The standard SIR model is getting a little overdone, so I appreciate that they're coming at these issues in a new way.

Pittsburgh is a nice city, too, although most cities are nice once you get used to them. It is somewhat disappointing that you ALWAYS seem to be walking uphill in Pittsburgh, but... it'll tone your calves? It's a newer program, and they haven't had a lot of recent graduates, so they can't offer you the "All of our graduates have tenured faculty positions!" speech that more established programs might be able to offer, but I have no doubts that they will succeed. I think Pitt (or CMU?) is trying to start up an undergraduate Comp Bio program, which doesn't necessarily help us now, but that means they'll have one of the first undergrad degrees, a master's degree, and a Ph.D. degree. Obviously they have the funding and resources for growth.

As far as recreation, Pittsburgh has a zoo and several sports teams and theatres. There's also Kennywood, if you like amusement parks, or... for a 3 hour drive... Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. Cedar Point is pretty much the best amusement park EVER. They're also fairly close to Ohiopyle if you like whitewater rafting or the outdoors in general. The summers are generally pretty warm and gentle, although there is a significant amount of snow and cold for 4-ish months in the winter. Cost of living is lower, so you can get a nice apartment, or even a house if you go a little further out of the city and don't mind commuting in.

Ummm.... yeah, that's about all the knowledge I have on Pittsburgh, lol, although I'd be happy to answer any other questions. It's really not that far from where I already live.

• 5 weeks later...

Before I forget again I wanted to say thanks for responding! I ultimately decided to go with my other choice, since I'm pretty sure the research there is more in line with what I'd like to do. Thank you so much for your perspective, though. Best of luck with your grad studies :)