Who hasn't gotten accepted anywhere yet?

martizzle

I haven't gotten in anywhere, and I'm losing hope with each day. I still have 5 schools that I haven't quite heard from, but I'm not too optimistic. Who knows.. I guess it's not time to give up hope until getting the official word.

Good luck!

... the theme of this topic might be a little depressing LOL

Anyway, I haven't gotten accepted anywhere yet either. Got 3 rejections, and I'm still waiting for my fourth decision. I go through waves of being hopeful and being hopeless... But time will tell.

Pizzapie - You still have a lot of possibilities on the table. I know it's easier said than done, but definitely don't assume the worst yet especially with those kinds of odds.

Me. I'm too old. Oh no one has said that directly. Instead I'm told my potential career is too short, I wouldn't attract enough funding. Or - why would I want to go to grad school anyway when I could just get a (another) job. Or - it's wonderful that you went back to university for undergrad but isn't it best if you let the young ones have their chance and not take a scarce position (that could generate funding !!)

Sucks to be old.

... the theme of this topic might be a little depressing LOL

Anyway, I haven't gotten accepted anywhere yet either. Got 3 rejections, and I'm still waiting for my fourth decision. I go through waves of being hopeful and being hopeless... But time will tell.

Pizzapie - You still have a lot of possibilities on the table. I know it's easier said than done, but definitely don't assume the worst yet especially with those kinds of odds.

true...i should have named it something better lol...and i totally understand that feeling of being hopeful one moment and being almost totally hopeless the next :(

time...arrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh...............i wish this would be over soon...and i'm accepted somewhere.

Me. I'm too old. Oh no one has said that directly. Instead I'm told my potential career is too short, I wouldn't attract enough funding. Or - why would I want to go to grad school anyway when I could just get a (another) job. Or - it's wonderful that you went back to university for undergrad but isn't it best if you let the young ones have their chance and not take a scarce position (that could generate funding !!)

Sucks to be old.

that sucks...i don't think its right for anyone to make that judgement. that's like the age version of racism (idk what its called).

good luck to everyone

true...i should have named it something better lol...and i totally understand that feeling of being hopeful one moment and being almost totally hopeless the next sad.gif

time...arrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh...............i wish this would be over soon...and i'm accepted somewhere.

Haha.. that's how I feel too. Some days are much more optimistic than others. The main reason I'm not too optimistic about my others schools is because I know acceptances/interviews have gone out already. And for the schools I interviewed at, there are funding issues. I just want it to be done with too, but it seems to be dragging on forever.

Sucks to be old.

I don't really belong in this thread, but after I wandered here by mistake, I came across your post.

Discrimination that is based on age is called agism, and it's disgusting (not to mention unfair).

But -

Stay hopeful. Not everyone is an awful agist. In my old department, there was a nice older woman who returned to get her MA. Both her kids were undergrads at the same university. When she enquired about applying to grad school, one prof rudely told her she's simply too old, and basically everything you've been told (and I am sorry you had to hear that). But then another, who was the grad coordinator at the time, talked to her and advised her about the best way to admission - she was accepted and completed her MA.

In my own department, there is a woman who is also older (she proudly told me she has grandchildren), and has no intention of embarking on an academic career at the age of retirement - she was accepted to the PhD program, no problem.

So basically - not everyone is a pig, and I am sure you'll find people who will be willing to judge you on the merit and not your age.

Good luck!

It is indeed agism and it is one of the only types of discrimination that is still legal in Ontario. I only applied to schools that were within an easy commute of my home. Perhaps next year I will go a little farther afield, maybe look at Toronto or York. Or maybe I won't. I asked the grad chair if it would be worthwhile staying for another year of undergrad and maybe bump up the marks but was told it costs too much and is a waste of time. I was quite clear in my personal statement that I wanted to continue studying for the sake of learning and that the academy was not in my future. Apparently not clear enough.

It is indeed agism and it is one of the only types of discrimination that is still legal in Ontario. I only applied to schools that were within an easy commute of my home. Perhaps next year I will go a little farther afield, maybe look at Toronto or York. Or maybe I won't. I asked the grad chair if it would be worthwhile staying for another year of undergrad and maybe bump up the marks but was told it costs too much and is a waste of time. I was quite clear in my personal statement that I wanted to continue studying for the sake of learning and that the academy was not in my future. Apparently not clear enough.

Discrimination is still alive and kicking in Ontario, legal or not. Bigots always find ways to exclude.

The two women I mentioned before - were at U of T, btw. Doesn't mean there are no agists here as well, but there are also people who are fair and will not judge you based on gender, age or ethnicity. I don't know the dept of Philosophy here, but I say don't give up hope because of one pig. You sound keen on grad school for the thrill of learning and no one should be denied that.

Yeah nada here but one waitlist. I am not expecting anything else as all my programs require interviews and they have already happened. I think I have a decent shot at the waitlist but I am already planning next year's applications.

Me.

I still have to hear back from the last one, and I have one wait list.

a week ago, the rejection letters from my dream school and my absolutely-perfect-fit school came simultaneously. It was very hard.

I cried. Then I took a long nap. Then I organized everything I own-- computer files,old notes from college, books, wardrobe, etc. Then I cleaned my laptop,my bike, and my apartment...everything. Then I threw out everything that is either unnecessary or distracting, along with all the junk food I bought a while ago when the anxiety of response-waiting was too much. Then I showered for about an hour. Then I contemplated for a long time if an academic career is really what I want.

All of these took about 2.5 days.

When I made up my mind about what to do next, I called a professor who I felt could provide some guidance, and talked to her about what to do next. Then I made a plan for maximizing my chances next round.

I've been on that plan since, so I've been very successful not thinking about rejections.

(switch out academic career for "significant other/life partner", professor for "my sister", what to do next for "who to date next", and maximizing my chances for....uh, "maximizing my chances", and now you know how I deal with a break-up.)

Then I made a plan for maximizing my chances next round.

I've been on that plan since, so I've been very successful not thinking about rejections.

(switch out academic career for "significant other/life partner", professor for "my sister", what to do next for "who to date next", and maximizing my chances for....uh, "maximizing my chances", and now you know how I deal with a break-up.)

This plan has been working for me too, focusing on the next round. and yes, I also have used this as a break-up strategy!

Emily, I love it! I had the instinct to clean and organize too last week, after a lame rejection. I should have acted on that, but instead got lazy and have since been stewing in reflections and murky plans.

I only applied to three MA (in English literature) programs. One admit, one reject and I'm waiting on one. I'm realizing now how competitive everything is and that my applications really should have been stronger. For example, the schools asked for a 20 page scholarly essay, and I submitted a 7 page analytical essay. It was a really good paper, but not near enough. Also I emphasized my high school teaching experience in my SOP, but I may have sounded out of touch with academia, which I am. I should have had a professor or two read mine.

I'm probably going to stop with an MA, but if I ever get the urge to go for a PhD I have a better sense now of what it takes.

As for age, I know some nice success stories. My aunt decided at age 54 to become a psychologist. She took all the prereqs, got her Phd and now has a very successful practice in Washington state. Another woman I know decided to become a lawyer in her 60's!! Now in her 70's she too has her own practice of some kind in Canada. Sure your career might be shorter than some, but it might be way more fulfulling and productive. Also, people change careers now all the time, so who is to judge anyone for how long they may or may not have a career. Oh..and my sister is living in a treatment center for bipolar disorder and there is a really nice older gentleman there who is a grad student/employee. This man is in program that draws on buddhist doctrines. I imagine his age and experience are only assets to him in that environment.

I hope no one gives up their dream because of age or because of rejections this year. It's a really tough year.

Misery loves company, so here I am. 9 applications, and rejected by 5. Don't really hold much hope for the rest. The good thing is a no longer stay up all night checking admissions status, but am concentrating on my work at hand.

As for ageism, I was warned by my professors that many schools may not consider me due to my age. It is true that with the current problems in funding, they probably want their students to have a long academic career ahead of them and not someone who is in his forties.

That said, applications were especially tough this year, with record number of applicants and lower level of funding. To the many of you wishing to apply next year, I wish you all the best.

I got an acceptance after five rejections! I have already prepared to apply again but then that magical email came up! I'm very grateful!

Awesome news, gives me a lot of hope. Thanks for sharing.

Misery loves company, so here I am. 9 applications, and rejected by 5. Don't really hold much hope for the rest. The good thing is a no longer stay up all night checking admissions status, but am concentrating on my work at hand.

I think you are the guy who posted elsewhere: 'misery loves company', and I replied something along the lines of 'yes it does, question is why are you in its company'....looking back it seems a lil mean...i was joking, i wasn't aware...sorry about that.

I'm also down 5 (at least), so we are in the same boat...it sucks rite :(

no acceptance anywhere at all, mainly because only one school responded with rejection a month ago, and the others ARE STILL NOT TALKING.... SOOO ANNOYING... but then, i have very low chances overall of getting into remaining schools anyway...

I registered just to cheer you guys up!

Here's my story....

Rejection 1 - Stupid Yale. I wouldn't go to your program anyway

Rejection 2 - Wait a second, wasn't Duke my backup school? [web search] oh I guess it's pretty competitive. No wonder I got rejected

Rejection 3 - Stanford? Better not tell my girlfriend... (she lives in Palo Alto

Rejection 4 - Carnegie Mellon's Public Policy program rejected me? WTF?

Rejection 5 - Princeton Woodrow Wilson - WHYYY!?!!?

Rejection 6 -Harvard. Haawvvaad? Oh Geeze.

Rejection 7 - Brown!? F***.

Rejection 8 - Johns Hopkins - damn, I'm in trouble.

until....

Acceptance 1 - University of Chicago, with full funding.

It happens people. It happened to me!

Good luck!

Here's my story....

Rejection 2 - Wait a second, wasn't Duke my backup school? [web search] oh I guess it's pretty competitive. No wonder I got rejected

Rejection 3 - Stanford? Better not tell my girlfriend... (she lives in Palo Alto

until....

Good luck!

thanks eric1025... i'm still keeping my fingers crossed, regardless of how much pessimistic i've been recently, lol

this website sometimes feel like a waste of time for me while i sit and stew about not having heard back from any of the 5 schools I applied to.

but sometimes, its good to find other people feeling just as miserable. I only applied to 5 schools, I say only because now I'm starting to worry and sometimes scanning the results page here is just torture. Luckily, I'm realizing that I have only seen admits for 1/5 programs I applied to and that specific one (american's M.A in lit.) just contacted me about a missing writing sample. I try to tell myself that good things come to those who wait and that things happen for a reason.

But, how do I start to consider what to do if it's 5 NO's, and what to do if I'm too embarrassed to try again?

ugh. my GRE scores were too low, why didn't I re-take it?

it just sucks waiting and i'm ready to know my fate good or bad or indifferent. i don't even care about funding, i'm ready and willing to take out loans because my undergrad degree was cheap (ive got about $9000 to pay off). i even applied to my dream school (hate calling it that) after the scholarship deadline in the hopes i'd have a better chance if i wasn't asking for money.

secretly i hope i get 1 yes no matter where, just so i know what's next. i'm 25 and i moved back in with my parents while i finished college this year and am ready to have a "next step"

Here's my story....

until....

Good luck!

Love this post and you really did cheer me up. I have only applied to one school and have yet to hear anything. Thanks for the renewed sense of hope.

Edited by nycrican2

But, how do I start to consider what to do if it's 5 NO's, and what to do if I'm too embarrassed to try again?

ugh.

yeah...how do you bring that up in a conversation. 'I got rejected by all the grad schools I applied to'...that's not really a great conversation started; too depressing/sad :(

i would say if the worst comes to worst...re-do the gre (aim 1450; your minimum score: ~1360, depending on your field). bt i dont wish that for you :) good luck, i really do hope it works out for you.