Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rutabaga. And thanks for the heads up about the open house. If that's the case, I will likely head to the April event if I have a choice. If not then I would still attend any session they have.

I have not been home to check the mail yet, but seeing as I just got the decision online today, I am not anticipating a packet until early next week or so.

yeah I saw that it was two days, but the letter I got in the mail mentioned only the April day. So my program at least has events planned only for the April date. The letter also mentioned $500 for travel (which doesn't really matter much to me since I'm just taking the train up for the day anyway). I got my letter pretty promptly after the web status changed.

Has anyone applied to Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences Program? Anyone hear back from em?

No news here. The results page has someone accepted by phone today, which doesn't look good. Maybe different advisors will call at different times, but I'm preparing for rejection. Sigh. 3 more to go.

No news here. The results page has someone accepted by phone today, which doesn't look good. Maybe different advisors will call at different times, but I'm preparing for rejection. Sigh. 3 more to go.

Hang in there! Does Columbia almost exclusively accept by phone? But yeah I'm not feeling too optimistic either. ARGH!

Has anyone applied to Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences Program? Anyone hear back from em?

I applied. I also talked to the grad coordinator there a while ago on the phone. They are admitting very few people this year for SMS.

I applied. I also talked to the grad coordinator there a while ago on the phone. They are admitting very few people this year for SMS.

That is really unfortunate since their program was by far my top choice and the best fit for me. Did she provide a specific number perhaps? How many is 'few'?

That is really unfortunate since their program was by far my top choice and the best fit for me. Did she provide a specific number perhaps? How many is 'few'?

And also, when did you talk to them FSIA? I emailed waaaaay back - August or so - and was told they planned to take seven. But then the economy imploded, and I wonder if they will now take even fewer.

Does anyone know whether they rank all applicants together, or they decide first how many each of the social science tracks gets and admit independently?

I spoke to them in the beginning of February when they contacted me about my application. Each Social Science track in SMS has its own coordinator and each track admits a couple of students independently I believe based on a conversation with a current student there. But I don't know if they rank all applicants together first. Sorry I don't have more information. But I gathered that they are very supportive of the students there, unlike other experiences I have had at Columbia :)

I spoke to them in the beginning of February when they contacted me about my application. Each Social Science track in SMS has its own coordinator and each track admits a couple of students independently I believe based on a conversation with a current student there. But I don't know if they rank all applicants together first. Sorry I don't have more information. But I gathered that they are very supportive of the students there, unlike other experiences I have had at Columbia :)

Thanks FSIA. Good news for you that they contacted you about your app in Feb! Probably less promising for those of us who have heard not a peep...

Thanks FSIA. Good news for you that they contacted you about your app in Feb! Probably less promising for those of us who have heard not a peep...

Aye! Whatever the outcome I just hope they let us know sooner rather than later. Thanks for the info FSIA.

Some friends told me that next week (9-13) is the spring break in the U.S. Do you know whether they still announce the application results or not?

It is not spring break for all universities in the US. Each schools has its own spring break period. For those that are open, then you should still expect to hear results.

Cheers :mrgreen: I just check and see that all of my schools will be on break those days :D What will I do if not checking mailbox back and forth :lol:

Do administrative staff get holidays during march break? Not at my school anyway and even I don't get a break as a graduate student, lol.

Do administrative staff get holidays during march break? Not at my school anyway and even I don't get a break as a graduate student, lol.

I get two days leave with pay for my uni's spring beak. Good timing too as I will be interviewing at my remaining schools during those two days.

Would that I knew! I think the visits will be really important for me. Did you hear from JHU yet by the way?

Rutabaga did you get any word yet on funding? I got a letter in the mail Friday. It said 50% tuition support for the first 6 quarters and 75% support thereafter. That bummed me out until I read the next paragraph saying I was nominated for a fellowship that will provide full tuition and stipend for 5 years plus research money.

I heard back from Columbia SMS doctoral program last week (waitlisted). Login to the site where you posted your application originally--that is where my notification was, but I never received any indication from the school to check that page.

I heard back from Columbia SMS doctoral program last week (waitlisted). Login to the site where you posted your application originally--that is where my notification was, but I never received any indication from the school to check that page.

No notification for me there - was it on the first page? If they've notified the waitlist, they should have finalised rejections, surely? Waiting is not good for me, though in this case it's pretty clear what the result is.

No notification for me there - was it on the first page? If they've notified the waitlist, they should have finalised rejections, surely? Waiting is not good for me, though in this case it's pretty clear what the result is.

Anybody know if the SMS program has a fixed quota for the seperate streams or do they consider applications wholistically regardless of concentration? If the former,that would perhaps explain why some indviduals have already been accepted/rejected/waitlisted while others have yet to receive an answer.

Anybody know if the SMS program has a fixed quota for the seperate streams or do they consider applications wholistically regardless of concentration? If the former,that would perhaps explain why some indviduals have already been accepted/rejected/waitlisted while others have yet to receive an answer.

No idea! Also, would such a quota would be affected by the number of apps for PhD and DrPH - are applicants to a given track competing for slots to be divvied up between the programmes?

Lots of results from Mailman on the board now, all acceptances. I doubt no news is good news at this stage. Though maybe it takes longer coz PhD decisions have to go through GSAS, while MPH/DrPH are all internal. Gah!