Any PhD Public Health People out there?

angrawa

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did any of you receive the result from Emory (Health Policy & Mgt)? Documents on the website indicate that decision should arrive by mid March and I suppose it will take at least one day longer than that date :lol:

Don't think I can wait for that stuff anymore, turning from :oops: to :mrgreen: and whatever around!!!

@ FSIA and ridgey: Have either of you heard "anything" from Columbia SMS? I just can't believe the odds of all three of us applicants on the same forum being rejected by the program.

Well, I have excellent odds of rejection this year it seems - I'm at 3.5 so far (the 0.5 being Columbia, based on their silence). And the odds of rejection overall are pretty good, when they admit ~7%. Sorry, I seem to be very negative today!

But no, I've heard nothing. There has been a PhD admit and a DrPH waitlist on the board that I've noticed. My officemate has a theory that they haven't called me yet because they can't figure out how to dial internationally. Ha!

Good to know I'm in such good company in receiving Columbia's deafening silence.

Well, I have excellent odds of rejection this year it seems - I'm at 3.5 so far (the 0.5 being Columbia, based on their silence). And the odds of rejection overall are pretty good, when they admit ~7%. Sorry, I seem to be very negative today!

But no, I've heard nothing. There has been a PhD admit and a DrPH waitlist on the board that I've noticed. My officemate has a theory that they haven't called me yet because they can't figure out how to dial internationally. Ha!

Good to know I'm in such good company in receiving Columbia's deafening silence.

I noted somewhere around here that I heard from them in February. The coordinator sent my application to another department because she felt my application would be a better fit there rather than in the five Social Sciences offered with the SMS degree. My acceptance will be dependent on whether the advisor she identified from the other school decides to take me on or not.

At this point I am not too worried about it. I think I am in enough of a bind having to choose between JHSPH and WWS, both offering very nice packages and potential projects that I am really interested in.

And don't worry ridgey, you will hear from them as soon as the economic crisis lightens up enough for them to buy a calling card. :lol:

I noted somewhere around here that I heard from them in February. The coordinator sent my application to another department because she felt my application would be a better fit there rather than in the five Social Sciences offered with the SMS degree. My acceptance will be dependent on whether the advisor she identified from the other school decides to take me on or not.

At this point I am not too worried about it. I think I am in enough of a bind having to choose between JHSPH and WWS, both offering very nice packages and potential projects that I am really interested in.

And don't worry ridgey, you will hear from them as soon as the economic crisis lightens up enough for them to buy a calling card. :lol:

Is your app still within Mailman? Or did it go to another non- public health department? Not that it's any of my business, at all, but others' good news is a welcome distraction!

Did you hear back on the JHU fellowship yet? I'm still waiting for money. I haven't gotten my official packet in the mail yet (just a letter) so I'm thinking maybe news will come with that.

Is your app still within Mailman? Or did it go to another non- public health department? Not that it's any of my business, at all, but others' good news is a welcome distraction!

My app was never in Mailman, it was in GSAS since I was going for the PhD and not the DrPH. I was doing Public Health with another Social Science discipline. They simply forwarded my app to another department outside of my original Social Science because there was another professor whose research more closely matched my interests in working internationally. If I get in, I will still be doing Public Health though.

Did you hear back on the JHU fellowship yet? I'm still waiting for money. I haven't gotten my official packet in the mail yet (just a letter) so I'm thinking maybe news will come with that.

I did not hear back officially, but I met with the grad coordinator Thursday and she told me to expect it next week. So you should likely hear something next week too. She did not flat out tell me yes, but the way she was speaking led to believe I have a good shot of getting it. If not though, I found that my advisor has a lot of international projects he is working on that I may be able to get funded under. I will be meeting with him in the first week of April when he returns to the US to discuss these possibilities.

I can tell everyone this, money is very tight this year! Not that we already did not know this :) So basically your funding packages are what you get and there is not any real room for negotiation. But don't be afraid to ask them if there is other money available for other expenses. For example, the grad coordinator told me in the meeting that the department has special funds to reimburse its students for books. So that is some relief there for instance.

I am rooting for you get a nice package Rutabaga! And for you ridgey and Aeternalis to hear back soon.

Thank you very much FSIA. I really appreciate your support! Hope you get that fellowship. Hopkins was one of my top choices, unfortunately I'm currently waitlisted at HBS.

Hang in there ridgey! I have a feeling we'll hear "something" (good I hope) from Columbia next week.

Thanks for the heads up FSIA. My advisor is actually not even going to be the country at the open house, but we'll be speaking over the phone which is good too! Yeah I mean if I don't get funding I'm pretty sure I can't justify JHU, but I hope I do since I'm getting increasingly excited about their particular program. Visiting three schools between now and the 15th though, so hopefully that will help clarify.

Hi all,

I'd like to pick the brains of a few applying PhD students!

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing from Case Western Reserve University, have been working for two years now at a health department, and am debating between an MPH or a PhD in Public Health. My ideal is applying for the PhD Health Policy & Management program at UNC (focus in health prevention & quality assurance/economics), and would like your feedback on two things...

1. Is a bachelors candidate with a good GPA (3.7) and two years (3 upon application) of PH experience too overzealous to think he has a shot at a PhD program?

2. Have any of you found the "overqualified" stigma with a PhD Public Health?

My main reasons for the BSN --> PhD and not an MPH is that a) I will eventually want a doctorate, and B) I would like to finish my education in the next 5 years, and cannot fit both a MPH and a PhD (not to mention if such a combination is not practical due to material overlap?)

I've got tough skin, so hit me with some honest opinions! :) Thank you!

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Nursing from Case Western Reserve University, have been working for two years now at a health department, and am debating between an MPH or a PhD in Public Health. My ideal is applying for the PhD Health Policy & Management program at UNC (focus in health prevention & quality assurance/economics), and would like your feedback on two things...

1. Is a bachelors candidate with a good GPA (3.7) and two years (3 upon application) of PH experience too overzealous to think he has a shot at a PhD program?

2. Have any of you found the "overqualified" stigma with a PhD Public Health?

My main reasons for the BSN --> PhD and not an MPH is that a) I will eventually want a doctorate, and B) I would like to finish my education in the next 5 years, and cannot fit both a MPH and a PhD (not to mention if such a combination is not practical due to material overlap?)

If you ultimate wish is to get a PhD, then go for it. You could always apply for a few MPH programs as backup. I think your credentials are perfectly fine and if you are really a male nurse, the schools would sop you up like bread sopping up soup :lol: I only have one year of "proper" public health experience and two years of auxiliary health experience and I was successful in being admitted to a doctoral program this season.

My ultimate goal is to do something like what I am doing now: working with people. Direct practice so to say. I always worried that having a doctorate would over qualify me for what I wanted to do. I would suggest you tack on courses and projects in program creations, evaluation, and grant writing during your studies. That way you will be able to create a program and define your role within it. That has been my saving grace recently. And besides you could also teach with the doctorate.

So go for it!!!

Technically you need a masters to start the program at UNC (it's in their PhD handbook), so you might want to inquire about how strict they are about that.

Good point Rutabaga. Are you bound to the NC area? You may want to consider branching out and apply to other schools that do not require a masters before going for the doctorate.

I have not heard anything yet unfortunately. I will ask again when I go to the student's day this Friday. If I have nothing by then, I will unfortunately have to decline my admission and reapply at another time.

Thanks for the reply!

That's a good point Rutabaga; a point that was delaying my consideration of the Bachelors --> Doctorate jump. BUT! ( :mrgreen: ) ... then I got the chance to speak with a current PhD student from UNC in the HPM program and she started as an MSPH there, then transferred this semester into the PhD program!! That was like (woot!/a damn bursting) because I thought, like you said, that a Masters would be required. So I printed the Academic Policies manual for the PhD program and as of 2008-2009 it said "Masters, or equivalent experience". Whatever that means... but since I spoke with that student I guess it means it's possible! I hope that is the case! I'll be talking with whatever faculty are specialized in my focus areas in the summer to get their input too....

FSIA, thanks for the supportive feedback! It's true that I'm not bound to UNC, but there is something about the program so far (from many people I've talked to) that have valued it's education/cost ratio and it's position in public health that lures me strongly. I liked JHU when I visited...I'd consider applying (if able) to UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, JHU, and Harvard (just for fun, if able).

Thanks for the feedback! Wishing you all that 100% acceptance rate by being GradCafe folks!

Thanks for the reply!

That's a good point Rutabaga; a point that was delaying my consideration of the Bachelors --> Doctorate jump. BUT! ( :mrgreen: ) ... then I got the chance to speak with a current PhD student from UNC in the HPM program and she started as an MSPH there, then transferred this semester into the PhD program!! That was like (woot!/a damn bursting) because I thought, like you said, that a Masters would be required. So I printed the Academic Policies manual for the PhD program and as of 2008-2009 it said "Masters, or equivalent experience". Whatever that means... but since I spoke with that student I guess it means it's possible! I hope that is the case! I'll be talking with whatever faculty are specialized in my focus areas in the summer to get their input too....

FSIA, thanks for the supportive feedback! It's true that I'm not bound to UNC, but there is something about the program so far (from many people I've talked to) that have valued it's education/cost ratio and it's position in public health that lures me strongly. I liked JHU when I visited...I'd consider applying (if able) to UCLA, Michigan, Ohio State, JHU, and Harvard (just for fun, if able).

Thanks for the feedback! Wishing you all that 100% acceptance rate by being GradCafe folks!

As far as I can tell, there are some programs out there where going into a MS/MSPH program the transition is setup for someone who wishes to enter into the PhD program. I don't know how prevalent this is, though.

As for needing a master's before going into the PhD, the majority of schools do ask for the master's primarily because there aren't many bachelor's level public health degrees out there. Just as a point of reference, at my Yale interview, all but 1 person had at least a master's degree (14 out of the 15). Only 1 person was finishing up her bachelor's this year (May 2009). Having a master's definitely makes you a more competitive applicant.

Thanks for the good insight Stories. The situation you mentioned is exactly what I thought I'd be up against... especially with the economic push to re-educate, I'm sure this is going to be a "big fish" swimming pool. I'm hoping that what you suggest will find its guidance during the visit with the faculty, where I am expecting them to a) chuckle, B) give me the advice you just suggested (likely), or c) to suggest some pre-req coursework and other minor polishes (hoping). I guess I want to make sure I've tried going through the (pre)application process for the PhD before I defer it for the MPH.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the good insight Stories. The situation you mentioned is exactly what I thought I'd be up against... especially with the economic push to re-educate, I'm sure this is going to be a "big fish" swimming pool. I'm hoping that what you suggest will find its guidance during the visit with the faculty, where I am expecting them to a) chuckle, B) give me the advice you just suggested (likely), or c) to suggest some pre-req coursework and other minor polishes (hoping). I guess I want to make sure I've tried going through the (pre)application process for the PhD before I defer it for the MPH.

Thanks again!

Good luck with your application. It's a little daunting, but be sure to have good ideas in your personal statement. That is one of the biggest components of seeing whether you're a fit in the program. Take time to write it over and over again, have professors take a look at it and get feedback from then. I went through a good seven revisions before I submitted my applications. And start early! I started the process in September and finished my entire app in the beginning of November.

I wouldn't worry about the whole economy thing, more folks are applying to professional schools rather than PhDs. The number of PhD applicants are about the same as last year's pool.

Just my two cents- I have an MSN from a top five program, ten years of solid public health experience, several publications ( none first author), a 3.6 undergrad and 3.8 grad GPA and strong GRE scores. I only applied to one program ( also a top five) due to geographic issues and did not even rate the wait list.

Hi Stories.... that's really good to know about the revision of the personal statement. I'm on the alumni board at my alma mater... I'll have to have a couple of them provide their input. I'm sure it will be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's a process I'm willing to endure!

And thank you sab for the two cents! I have a feeling many places will find my application a bit puny, especially when you list your creds and outcome. Still, I'll apply to a bunch of schools, including safer bets and an MPH program or two. I'm sure there is some college out there that will take another warm bady & caffeinated mind. :) I wonder what happened in your case? Did the interviews not flow well? What were the creds/interests of some of the accepted candidates?

Thank you all! Happy Wednesday!

Hi Stories.... that's really good to know about the revision of the personal statement. I'm on the alumni board at my alma mater... I'll have to have a couple of them provide their input. I'm sure it will be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's a process I'm willing to endure!

And thank you sab for the two cents! I have a feeling many places will find my application a bit puny, especially when you list your creds and outcome. Still, I'll apply to a bunch of schools, including safer bets and an MPH program or two. I'm sure there is some college out there that will take another warm bady & caffeinated mind. :) I wonder what happened in your case? Did the interviews not flow well? What were the creds/interests of some of the accepted candidates?

Thank you all! Happy Wednesday!

Hey not a problem. It's actually pretty neat to give folks advice, especially those that are receptive to it :)

It's definitely something that takes some work, but be sure to eloquently elaborate on who you are, what you bring, your research past and potential, and your research goals and interests. That is the true make-it-or-break-it deal in acceptances at schools. Also, be sure to mention specific faculty you're interested in working with. This will show the admissions faculty that you have a true interest in their school, and you've done the research to show that you are a good fit a the school/program. For instance, I wanted to apply to Ohio State, but I decided not to because of a lack of proper fit with faculty at the school. You might find this is true of many schools you apply to. It's a lengthy process, but make a yourself a list of each school and write down names of faculty you're interested in working with.

You never know what schools you might get into. So if you have interests with faculty at a school you think is a "reach", still apply. The big difference for PhDs is that there is FAR less importance on grades and GRE scores. They are still considered, of course, as someone who has C's in the epidemiology methods courses is a red flag, but as I've said, the research and personal statement matter more. As for interviews, every school I interviewed at, I was accepted to. I did get a lot of rejections from other schools for various reasons, but ultimately I got into the program I wanted (Yale) and am fully funded. But for numbers, I applied to 17 schools because I had no idea where I'd get in :shock: Just because you don't have a 1600 GRE score and 4.0 GPA doesn't mean you won't get accepted to a great school. Also, ignore the rankings for the PhD--go to the school with the faculty working in what you're interested in.

The main credential that I came up with was research interest fit + recommendations from other faculty elaborating on my potential as an independent researcher. That is a point of emphasis: independent research. I have a friend that is on the pharmaco-epi track and another on gene-environmental interactions, so it's all varied. Yale is small program (~5 admitted per year), so it has its advantages of close relationship with faculty but limited in course offerings.

Wow, stories, thank you for being so descriptive! It is a real treasure to find someone who will take the time to share their experience with others... and I'm happy that you enjoy it too! That is why these forums are so great... I can honestly say this discussion has been a real uplift to the whole prospect of my getting a PhD. Especially because I am a big-time planner (much to my wife's amusement, because she is a bit more relaxed... :mrgreen: ), I think just being able to hash it out helps.

Ok... so do well on the typical scoring stuff, but focus heavily on understanding the research culture at each university, market to that culture & the corresponding faculty that share your interests. While it has been on the books for a bit, I will focus on seeing if I can partner with one of Case's public health faculty to familiarize myself with the process of more established researchers (and if I can get a name on a paper, that works too! ... but mainly so that I can learn from/with them). That may help with the personal statement too, because I figure someone who has already done some research on his/her topic focus will sound more credible than another who just has an focus inkling.

Congratulations on getting into Yale! I think the gene-environmental is just fascinating... our health department is just beginning a grant for the National Children's Study, and that is just got me hopping to think of all that data... man, if you ever find a way to get a participants to honestly & accurately fill a 100 page questionnaire, that would be just golden. I'm really psyched ... It's like walking into a random store blindfolded, taking it off, and you discovering what is there over the course of your wanderings...so cool. What is your focus?

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts! It really is invaluable.