NYU

Hovarth

Grad Housing is full already, waitlist only, because so many people renewed. Its Washington Sq. Village (Those big white high rises). Per semester, its 12,000 without a roommate and 7,000 with a roommate. Additionally, its not only grad students who live here - professors have the option of living there too (but for much cheaper rates). I would have loved to live in grad housing, but this situation doesn't seem too good. :(

I was just notified that I can receive grad housing if I want, and am wondering if people feel this is really the best route...It seems like a lot less hassle than actually finding an apartment/roommate, but it also seems like it might be more expensive...Grad housing room rates are ranging from 2500 for a single studio to 1500 for a shared studio, plus some other stuff in between. Im not sure if I'm willing to pay that just for the convenience. Any thoughts?

I was just notified that I can receive grad housing if I want, and am wondering if people feel this is really the best route...It seems like a lot less hassle than actually finding an apartment/roommate, but it also seems like it might be more expensive...Grad housing room rates are ranging from 2500 for a single studio to 1500 for a shared studio, plus some other stuff in between. Im not sure if I'm willing to pay that just for the convenience. Any thoughts?

The location is great, but oh gawd, that price! I think I'd pass.

When you're paying $1260 per tuition point + $400/semester + $60 per point in registration fees as it is, it's hard to even comprehend what is expensive anymore!

Edited by meecat

I think that if you feel it will be super convenient the first year then to go for it. I mean there are some advantages to on campus housing especially if you are new to the city. I think it could help with a transition a lot.

I have a question as well. My housing status changed from waitlist to guaranteed but not renewable. I know grad housing is supposedly for the first year only. But does this change mean that I am going to be offered the chance to stay on campus the first year? I haven't gotten anything via mail or by email about it.

Edited by RoseThrn82

Hi. What did you apply for? I ask because I saw your signature said gw, gtown and nyu - all three of which I applied and got into. Just curious.

Also, yeah.... commuting. I'm going to live in a commuter area an hour away via bus for a year, crash with some people I know. Maybe live near NYU in a year or two?

oh im going for management & systems. Thats funny we applied applied to the same schools. All my programs were like MIS or technology management.

I'm gonna be joining the Masters in Computer Science program in GSAS, i guess i'm the first one out here going to that program. Are anyone looking for of campus housing?

This is an unofficial grad student guide for the CS Department http://cs.nyu.edu/~gradrep/GradGuide.html

In the housing section there's some very useful info regarding localities to check out and stuff.

Since i've resigned to the fact that i'll have to take the sub everyday(college wont be walking sleepily into the classroom anymore i guess unsure.gif) it looks like shared housing in brooklyn looks very affordable and comfortable, not to mention a decent locality.

Let me know if anyone's interested in looking for a possible apartment share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Kristen,

I am currently applying for NYU's counseling MA program. Any words of advice? What have you heard about the program? Do you like it so far??

Attending Steinhardt- MA Counseling for Mental Health and Wellness this fall! Super excited but worried about housing as I am waitlisted too. Worried about getting stuck with a psychopath rooommate! hahaha

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use