Baton Rouge, LA

Alfi

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be moving to Baton Rouge this summer to start grad school. I'm looking for an apartment in a good area (ex: Highland area) with an in-unit washer and dryer for a reasonable rent. Any recommendations?

Same here. Moving for school in the fall. Looking for details on where the look, best companies, etc...

Hello,

I get admission to PhD program at LSU. I get admission from SUNY at Buffalo too.

I have heard that Baton Rouge is very hot and humid in summer, and Buffalo is very cold in winter.

The Professor and ranking of LSU is better in my field of study (Louisiana is 60 and Buffalo 70; it is not considerable)

which university would you recommend and why?

The summers in BR are really not THAT bad. The winters in Buffalo, however, are terrible. Yes, it gets hot in the summer in Louisiana, but air conditioners are on full force. You're not really going to notice. I never did.

As far as apartments are concerned, a lot of the apartments directly off campus house a lot of undergrads. Some are furnished, some arent. It depends if you want to live near undergrads and if you have your own furniture to bring. Oh, and whether or not you have a car. PM me, I'd be able to help with location/complexes.

Potential - I'd go Baton Rouge all the way. I'm from the South so heat doesn't bother me, and I'm willing to bet that Winter is 6 months long in Buffalo.

everyone else moving to BR - I'll post what information I come across during my searches. Maybe we can start a list of solid places. I'd love to get into a town-home or rent a house even, but I'll take a cheap, undergrad-free, apartment too. My main concern is finding a place that is 1) Safe, 2) Close, 3)not too expensive.

Seemed like the area just south of campus had good ratings, and cheap rent.

Hello everyone! I need to update my profile info, but, I, too will be attending LSU in the fall. I'd like to live within walking distance of campus, but in a majority undergraduate-free zone. Any input would be fantastic! 

Finally made the incredibly difficult decision to commit to LSU today!

Some general questions for the folks from around the area:

1. I am, admittedly, a huge sports fan. I know that at some other schools, getting student season tickets can prove tricky, especially for graduate students. Any tips/tricks on how to sit closest and guarantee that you'll be at the games next year? I'm especially interested in the kickoff game in Houston, hoping to register for classes soon enough to sign up for the ticket system and request a ticket for the game.

2. I have also been apartment hunting. Through my own searches and this thread's recommendations, I've considered both A) Place Du Plantier (http://www.placeduplantier.com/) and B ) Highland Plantation (http://highlandplantationapartmentsbatonrouge.com/) - from what I've read, this seems to be a nice undergrad free area away far enough away from campus to separate yourself, but close enough for an easy commute. Are there any recommendations as to these types of properties either around this area or in the Town Center area? I'm looking specifically for a studio/1 BR and I'm looking to spend between $700-800 per month or less.

So excited to join the LSU family! Geaux Tigers!

Hello everyone! I need to update my profile info, but, I, too will be attending LSU in the fall. I'd like to live within walking distance of campus, but in a majority undergraduate-free zone. Any input would be fantastic! 

I'm in the same boat as this guy. Need to find a place to live, preferrably close to campus and without undergrads. I also just registered and I don't have any profile info.

Place du Plantier and Highland Plantation are not within walking distance, but are on the bus route. I know for a fact that HP has their fair share of undergrads, though. Both places were fairly run down when I was at LSU, but hopefully they've spruced up the places in the last few years.

If you'll be having a roommate, I'd suggest living at Indigo Place on Nicholson. The apartments are nice, they have good amenities, and not many undergrads.

Most places within walking distance aare populated by undergrads. It's nearly impossible for it not to be that way, considering there are 30,000 students and there isn't even enough on campus housing to hold all the freshmen.

I'd also suggest checking out Southgate Towers and The Cottages. I lived at Campus Crossings Highland when I was an undergrad and other than the apartment being a little small, I had no complaints. I lived with a grad student when I was a senior, but it's primarily an undergrad complex. As is the Venue and the bulk of the buildings on Burbank.

Place du Plantier and Highland Plantation are not within walking distance, but are on the bus route. I know for a fact that HP has their fair share of undergrads, though. Both places were fairly run down when I was at LSU, but hopefully they've spruced up the places in the last few years.

If you'll be having a roommate, I'd suggest living at Indigo Place on Nicholson. The apartments are nice, they have good amenities, and not many undergrads.

Most places within walking distance aare populated by undergrads. It's nearly impossible for it not to be that way, considering there are 30,000 students and there isn't even enough on campus housing to hold all the freshmen.

I'd also suggest checking out Southgate Towers and The Cottages. I lived at Campus Crossings Highland when I was an undergrad and other than the apartment being a little small, I had no complaints. I lived with a grad student when I was a senior, but it's primarily an undergrad complex. As is the Venue and the bulk of the buildings on Burbank.

What do you mean when you say run down? From what I can tell, both places you listed were pretty close in regards to location to the other two, so I'm assuming that's a pretty good area for students in general. I'll be bringing a car with me, so as long as it's a 10-15 minute drive I should be more than happy. Problem is, I'm just not able to pay $1000+ per month plus utilities, my stipend isn't that fantastic and I'd be more comfortable spending between $750-900/mo.

Hey, i'm also going to be looking for a place for this fall. I had been looking around and was wondering if anyone could speak about the Fairway View apartments, or Varn Villa? Fairway seems a little far from campus, but i'm going to be looking into getting a car. 

What are some of the neighbourhoods I should look into? I have been using http://offcampushousing.lsu.edu as a resource for looking at stuff, but maybe someone could point me in a better direction.

I'm also on a very limited stipend and would be looking for something in the same range as Eastside21 ($700-900)

Each person's idea of run down is different. Highland Plantation had old carpet, old paint, old appliances, old everything. The apartment isnt gated, and was just grimey overall. Good for guys who don't care about the condition of their place, perhaps. Not somewhere I'd live personally. Place du Plantier is a bit nicer. I drove past there yesterday and they have remodeled some. Can't vouch for interiors or whether or not Highland Place has remodeled. I'm telling you, though, you can't walk to campus from either complex. They aren't walking distance to the other complexes I mentioned, either. They are building a new complex on Burbank (forgot the name) that you may want to check out. A decent one bedroom for $700-$900 is going to be hard to find. Perhaps you should check out Oakbrook Village on Nicholson. They have some units that are newer. I wouldn't recommend the older ones. It's on the bus route and you can bike to campus. Northgate is within walking distance, a little more expensive, and has more undergrads, but being able to walk is a big advantage. Though LSU has a lot of on campus parking and it's not that expensive. So if you have a car, you're golden.

BR traffic can get pretty bad, but if you're willing to put up with it on occasion and you're willing to live a few exits away, there are a bunch of complexes on Essen Lane near the hospital. Mostly inhabited by hospital staff and younger working people. Also, if you have roommates, renting a house may end up being a much cheaper option.

Hi everyone,

Another avenue to consider if you're having trouble finding an apartment near campus would be to browse the Craigslist shared housing section. Although there are quite a few listings in the BR periphery, you can occasionally find an apartment or shared house close to campus for cheap. I recently locked in a really nice shared house (with 3 other grad students) in a quiet neighborhood close to campus for $450 utilities included. I realize that shared housing isn't for everybody, and that some people value privacy, but just wanted to share that idea in case anyone was interested.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am also joining LSU this fall and am looking for some decent furnished single bedroom apartment in range of $600-700. Any other petroleum engineering candidate joining this fall?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi! 

Am a Female, looking for renting an apartment at a decent Community near LSU campus! Anybody has any suggestions where is the best one i can find? 
Time : August start! PM me if anybody wants to share an apartment! 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trying to find a 2 bedroom apartment that is preferably walking distance to LSU, pet friendly, and safe. Not too picky on how nice the inside is as long as it's comfortable. So far on google reviews Tiger manor, southgate and woodlands had good reviews, except I know these are not walking distance. Also what sides of LSU are safe, I've read the north side is the dangerous side? 

2 hours ago, rockchalk4253 said:

Trying to find a 2 bedroom apartment that is preferably walking distance to LSU, pet friendly, and safe. Not too picky on how nice the inside is as long as it's comfortable. So far on google reviews Tiger manor, southgate and woodlands had good reviews, except I know these are not walking distance. Also what sides of LSU are safe, I've read the north side is the dangerous side? 

The north side is not safe. Within walking distance I would stay directly south of campus if I were you.

I'm in the same boat of trying to figure out where to live. I just accepted my offer to LSU a couple weeks ago but I have a habit of planning ahead. I've talked to people that said you don't have to start looking for places to live until the May/June for August move in dates. Do you guys agree? I was planning on making an apartment visit at the end of June.