OPM ratings

swisnieski

Hey all -- I applied for a GS-14 job with the federal government doing statistical work. I just got my OPM rating back and I have no idea how to interpret it. It's 82; the possible score apparently ranges from 70 to 100. I have the awful feeling this means I'm rated as underqualified.

Anyone in the know on this?

• 11 months later...

I think you are right...Last year I applied to 40+ Gov't jobs and scored, on average, about 92 or 93. I only received 3 interview (no offers) and they were all for jobs that I scored near 96 or 97 for...You have to keep in mind that some people (veterans, peace corps people etc.) get 5 - 10 "bonus" points added to their scores, so it is possible that people will have scores over a 100, which means even if you get a 99 you might not even get an interview...

Yeah, a rating of 82 pretty much makes you uncompetitive unless very few people are applying.

GS-14 is a very high-level position, not at all entry-level, even for those with doctorates. They're likely looking for people with a lot of experience.