Temple U

hamster

I have been accepted to the new Master of Architecture program. I feel 80% certain that's where I will go. I grew up in the suburbs of Philly and I'm dying to live in the city, so this is my chance.

Congrats on your acceptance. Philly seems like a cool place to study architecture. And I really like what I have seen of the city so far. Do you have any suggestions on where to live that is affordable, safe but still a pretty easy commute to Temple? I don't have a car so would also need good access to public transport. Thanks!

Two neighborhoods near Temple that I've had a lot of people recommend to me are Northern Liberties and Fishtown. Both are southeast of campus close to the river and from what I understand are young, growing areas and are both relatively safe. I think that Fishtown is the less expensive of the two, and it's also closer to campus. I can't say much more though because I haven't really had a good look at either.

Everywhere else in North Philly besides right on campus I would probably rule out. Unfortunately North Philly is the worst part of the city. You could also look into South Philly, east of Broad (I hear west of Broad doesn't have the safest neighborhoods)...I know a guy who went there for undergrad and commuted on the Broad St. Line regularly from the Broad & Snyder stop, 15-20 min. either way, and had no problems...and it's a direct line to campus so that might be easier for you than Northern Liberties or Fishtown if you don't have a car.

Wish I could provide you with more insight...Right now I think I'm just going to look into the "off campus" housing (which is actually on campus) that they have for upperclassmen and grad students, b/c I'd like to be in walking distance of arch. studio and meet some fellow students. But, I haven't gotten too far into that process because I haven't accepted my offer of admission yet...though I hope to be able to do that soon.

Hope you find the right place!

Congrats on your acceptance. Philly seems like a cool place to study architecture. And I really like what I have seen of the city so far. Do you have any suggestions on where to live that is affordable, safe but still a pretty easy commute to Temple? I don't have a car so would also need good access to public transport. Thanks!

Hey there, congrats on your acceptance! I'm from SF too and made the transition to Philly life when I got a job out here after undergrad. My suggestion is to not live by Temple at all (North Philly). Even just stepping foot outside of Temple's campus makes me a little nervous. There's even a Temple theater production (Shot!) that depicted the gun violence in North Philadelphia in the 60s, how things have gotten worse and how they're trying to fix things. But I digress.

Since you've been to the city already, I imagine you've been to Center City...sort of the business epicenter of Philadelphia. Relative to Center City, be wary of moving anywhere too far North, South or West. East is Jersey, hehe.

My boyfriend currently goes to Temple and he lives in Bella Vista. It's basically the area just south of South Street and East of Broad Street, right by the Italian Market. This is a good location because the Broad Street Line (BSL) subway is only a couple blocks away. Other neighborhoods in the area I suggest are Society Hill and Queen Village. Northern Liberties (NoLibs) is a little south east of Temple where the rent is also cheap, but might also soon start to increase since the neighborhood is reforming along with the influx of hipsters trying to spruce it up. There's a trolley that goes along Girard and that connects with the BSL so you can get to school. You could also try looking at the art museum area (around Fairmount?). It's pretty nice and quiet up there and I think the rent's pretty reasonable. Might be too out of the way though if you're going to Temple.

Anyway, hope that helped!

Two neighborhoods near Temple that I've had a lot of people recommend to me are Northern Liberties and Fishtown. Both are southeast of campus close to the river and from what I understand are young, growing areas and are both relatively safe. I think that Fishtown is the less expensive of the two, and it's also closer to campus. I can't say much more though because I haven't really had a good look at either.

Everywhere else in North Philly besides right on campus I would probably rule out. Unfortunately North Philly is the worst part of the city. You could also look into South Philly, east of Broad (I hear west of Broad doesn't have the safest neighborhoods)...I know a guy who went there for undergrad and commuted on the Broad St. Line regularly from the Broad & Snyder stop, 15-20 min. either way, and had no problems...and it's a direct line to campus so that might be easier for you than Northern Liberties or Fishtown if you don't have a car.

Wish I could provide you with more insight...Right now I think I'm just going to look into the "off campus" housing (which is actually on campus) that they have for upperclassmen and grad students, b/c I'd like to be in walking distance of arch. studio and meet some fellow students. But, I haven't gotten too far into that process because I haven't accepted my offer of admission yet...though I hope to be able to do that soon.

Hope you find the right place!

very helpful info. Thanks!

Hey there, congrats on your acceptance! I'm from SF too and made the transition to Philly life when I got a job out here after undergrad. My suggestion is to not live by Temple at all (North Philly). Even just stepping foot outside of Temple's campus makes me a little nervous. There's even a Temple theater production (Shot!) that depicted the gun violence in North Philadelphia in the 60s, how things have gotten worse and how they're trying to fix things. But I digress.

Since you've been to the city already, I imagine you've been to Center City...sort of the business epicenter of Philadelphia. Relative to Center City, be wary of moving anywhere too far North, South or West. East is Jersey, hehe.

My boyfriend currently goes to Temple and he lives in Bella Vista. It's basically the area just south of South Street and East of Broad Street, right by the Italian Market. This is a good location because the Broad Street Line (BSL) subway is only a couple blocks away. Other neighborhoods in the area I suggest are Society Hill and Queen Village. Northern Liberties (NoLibs) is a little south east of Temple where the rent is also cheap, but might also soon start to increase since the neighborhood is reforming along with the influx of hipsters trying to spruce it up. There's a trolley that goes along Girard and that connects with the BSL so you can get to school. You could also try looking at the art museum area (around Fairmount?). It's pretty nice and quiet up there and I think the rent's pretty reasonable. Might be too out of the way though if you're going to Temple.

Anyway, hope that helped!

Thank you! yeah, I have lived in some "transitional" neighborhoods in SF and Oakland but the area around Temple took me aback a bit. The student I stayed with when I interviewed lived in Center City and I loved it but I figure I need to look elsewhere for cheaper rent since I don't want roommates. Bella Vista sounds nice, I will check it out. I've also heard Fairmount may be good place to look.

Edited by hamster

...I've also heard Fairmount may be good place to look.

Hey,

I'm currently living in Philly and I'm in living on Fairmount ave. Guess the area is known as the 'museum area'. Anyway, you should look into this neighborhood :P Its nice, safe and everything. I could talk about all the restaurants and how great they are too. Rent wise, I lucked out (550 a month is my split). The neighborhood are all families and people walking dogs.

It is 1.5 miles away from Temple, so I'd say walking distance. The nearest subway (SEPTA) is about a mile away, so you might want to get a bike anyway. The city is very bike friendly, as it has the highest % of commuters who go by bike.

My second suggestion would be South Philly (like south of South st.) as long as you are a few blocks within the SEPTA you'll be fine.

However... I would say don't live in north philly/ anywhere north of Girard (the Temple off-campus housing), unless you are actually on Broad St. I have heard of a few crack-head locals breaking into apartments of students--and you don't want that. Because of how bad North Philly is, it is very common that Temple grad students will live all over the city.

I'm planning to accept my admission into the PhD Literature program at Temple for this fall. I'm originally from California, but have lived in Wyoming since I graduated from the University of Wyoming. Any suggestions about campus housing versus off campus renting? How about getting in touch with people who might want a roommate? Also, what is an average monthly rent payment off campus in the more student-friendly areas?

Hey,

I'm currently living in Philly and I'm in living on Fairmount ave. Guess the area is known as the 'museum area'. Anyway, you should look into this neighborhood :P Its nice, safe and everything. I could talk about all the restaurants and how great they are too. Rent wise, I lucked out (550 a month is my split). The neighborhood are all families and people walking dogs.

It is 1.5 miles away from Temple, so I'd say walking distance. The nearest subway (SEPTA) is about a mile away, so you might want to get a bike anyway. The city is very bike friendly, as it has the highest % of commuters who go by bike.

My second suggestion would be South Philly (like south of South st.) as long as you are a few blocks within the SEPTA you'll be fine.

However... I would say don't live in north philly/ anywhere north of Girard (the Temple off-campus housing), unless you are actually on Broad St. I have heard of a few crack-head locals breaking into apartments of students--and you don't want that. Because of how bad North Philly is, it is very common that Temple grad students will live all over the city.

Congrats on finding such a good deal on rent! Any idea how much a studio would go for in the "museum area"? or in South Philly? Thanks!

I've finally decided to go to Temple. However, hearing things like this and seeing that most of the off campus housing options would involve sharing a room anyway, I think I'm more inclined towards looking for housing elsewhere in the city. I would prefer walking distance to class but I can settle for public transportation.

However, I think my main thing is just fining a neighborhood geared towards students, and roomate(s) who are also students....does anyone have any tips on how to go about looking for a roommate?

I've finally decided to go to Temple. However, hearing things like this and seeing that most of the off campus housing options would involve sharing a room anyway, I think I'm more inclined towards looking for housing elsewhere in the city. I would prefer walking distance to class but I can settle for public transportation.

However, I think my main thing is just fining a neighborhood geared towards students, and roomate(s) who are also students....does anyone have any tips on how to go about looking for a roommate?

Hi

I am not looking for a roommate but if I were, I would use craigslist primarily. It also looks like Temple's Housing office may be able to help too. I saw some links on their site. Good luck!

Congrats on finding such a good deal on rent! Any idea how much a studio would go for in the "museum area"? or in South Philly? Thanks!

A studio should run in the 800 range I think.

If you can actually visit Philly with a car, just drive around. Up and down Spring Garden street and between 22nd though 15th I always see signs advertising studio apartments.

I would strongly advise against picking a place to live in Philly without visiting it first!

• 1 month later...

Wow, I decided to head to Temple's new M. Arch program. Did my undergrad at Clemson as well, tcarchitect1986, what year did you graduate?? I have only visited Temple/Philadelphia once, so the housing hunt seems crazy. Have you made any progress with your search??

Wow, I decided to head to Temple's new M. Arch program. Did my undergrad at Clemson as well, tcarchitect1986, what year did you graduate?? I have only visited Temple/Philadelphia once, so the housing hunt seems crazy. Have you made any progress with your search??

I did figure out my housing situation. I found a really nice place right off campus owned by a young couple renting out their rooms. It's a pretty safe neighborhood too.

I graduated from Clemson last year, in 2009. I don't think there are many people entering our program (it says only 10 on the class roster), and I'm assuming we're the only two from Clemson. I'll send you a message.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use