Backpack or Messenger Bag?

PastHistory

292 members have voted

1. 1. What should grad students carry?

• Backpack
    • Messenger Bag
    • Something else

I bought a new backpack (on sale) for my daily commute -- 45 minutes on two buses each way, plenty of pockets, big enough for a laptop and a few classes' materials. I have a few tote bags to use as well, in case I need extra stuff on any given day (one may be designated for all of my German class stuff). I'm old enough that my back and knees don't like weight imbalance, so big purses or messenger bags make everything hurt. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine using a messenger bag for my daily commute.  My shoulder(s) and back would end up SO sore.  So I use a backpack for my daily commute.  I just bought a new Eddie Bauer backpack that is incredibly comfortable that I plan on using for grad school.

I do have more professional looking bags that I use for interviews, conferences, meetings with important people, etc.  However, those bags are neither large enough, or comfortable enough, to carry the things I need for university on a daily basis.

• 2 years later...

I have a backpack and a black briefcase. Use whichever best suits your purposes! Some people want to look cute with their messenger bag, others want to show a little pizzazz and color with their nifty backpack. My friends back in undergrad used to joke about me carrying the black briefcase, but I didn't care because it went with my personal style. I still kept the backpack because bringing 15 books back to an office/apartment in a briefcase would probably dislocate my arm. 

• 2 months later...

If anyone wants to invest in a professional-looking high quality backpack, look into Timbuk2 bags (I'm sorry if someone has already recommended this). I've been using mine for work for almost 3 years and it still looks good as new. I used to use a messenger bag, but I have back problems now and it's just not worth it to me to potentially hurt myself in the name of fashion. Plus my mother-in-law calls millennials "the backpack kids" because backpacks are becoming more popular. 

EDIT: Just saw that someone above has already recommended Timbuk2. They really are great bags.

Edited by angela4

During undergrad, I'd use both. My laptop was too cumbersome to carry in the messenger bag, so I used my backpack for hauling that back and forth, but I would leave it on campus (we had a locker at the on-campus job I had) and use one of my messenger bags when I was only carrying notebooks and a textbook or two.

Then again, I found that using the messenger bag threw off my balance when I would rollerblade to campus, so that's had me using the backpack more than I otherwise would have.

I really wanted this specific leather messenger bag when I went off to college. Never got it. Finally I convinced my mother to get it for me as a birthday/Chanukkah/surviving applications present this year. I used mostly tote bags in college and I wore my backpack on one shoulder my whole life. So I'm not super concerned with a messenger bag throwing off my balance or messing with my neck. 

3 hours ago, vehryn said:

My laptop was too cumbersome to carry in the messenger bag, so I used my backpack for hauling that back and forth

Can you explain this a little more? I saw some messenger bags I might like to buy that advertised compartments for laptops, but now I am worried that that's not good enough.

16 hours ago, 2017 Applicant said:

Can you explain this a little more? I saw some messenger bags I might like to buy that advertised compartments for laptops, but now I am worried that that's not good enough.

Oh, my laptop is a 17" monstrosity I've had since 2011. If you've a reasonably sized laptop, you should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Being "older" with a few back problems, my plan is to keep on using my trusty The North Face backpack. It suits my needs and it's still in great shape. Also a good idea since I'll be biking/walking to campus a lot. 

• 2 years later...

I prefer backpacks over crossbody bags because I can free my hands and use a fixed belt to avoid worrying about the shoulder straps falling off during exercise. A simple and practical commuter backpack is my favorite type. MATEIN and Mancro backpacks are also very good, and the price and quality are suitable for graduate use.

• 2 weeks later...

As a grad student who sometimes will use a "Haikyuu!" anime backpack, I cannot contribute my thoughts as to what looks more "professional" ?

...but I like backpacks more since I hate the feeling of something hanging on one side of me, and I just feel like it lets me move more without thinking about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm finishing up my Master's degree, going on to a PhD next fall, and I've still used a backpack. I tried the messenger bag for a while but I just have too much stuff for it to all work. I take my lunch to school everyday and always have a ton of stuff. Really I switch to a nice messenger bag for conferences or professional meetings but overall, backpack is my go to. 

• 3 weeks later...