UBC!

lorax

Hello hello!

I am off to UBC in the fall, and was wondering if anyone else was headed that way. I've visited twice, but still don't know enough about the city to feel comfortable moving there in a few short months! How is everyone else doing with finding housing, estimating costs, debating necessity of vehicles, etc.?

Is anyone else as scared and excited as I am? I go between both extremes three times a day! :lol:

Heya, congrats. I got an offer for an MS program at UBC, but I won't be going. It's my alma mater though, so I can tell you that it's a great place to be! As far as housing goes, there seems to be quite a lot of housing 10-15 minutes away by bus in nearby neighbourhoods (Dunbar, Marpole, etc.). You will almost certainly not need a vehicle unless you have particular needs; the transit system in Vancouver is very good.

Edited by metasyntactic

Hello hello!

I am off to UBC in the fall, and was wondering if anyone else was headed that way. I've visited twice, but still don't know enough about the city to feel comfortable moving there in a few short months! How is everyone else doing with finding housing, estimating costs, debating necessity of vehicles, etc.?

Is anyone else as scared and excited as I am? I go between both extremes three times a day! :lol:

Hi! I will be going to UBC too this fall likely! :) I'm looking at apartments too! I will probz live on campus the first semester at least until I find a friend (or gf haha) to live with!

Thanks metasyntactic! UBC is one of the nicest campuses I've ever visited and I'm stoked to go/live there!

I will be doing practicum work in schools in Vancouver and surrounding suburban areas. Is the transit system good for the outskirts of Greater Vancouver as well?

Also, did you live on campus too?

Hi! I will be going to UBC too this fall likely! :) I'm looking at apartments too! I will probz live on campus the first semester at least until I find a friend (or gf haha) to live with!

High five! Which areas are you looking at?

I will be doing practicum work in schools in Vancouver and surrounding suburban areas. Is the transit system good for the outskirts of Greater Vancouver as well?

Also, did you live on campus too?

The transit system is generally good outside of Vancouver, but people do complain it's not as good as in the city proper. It also depends on which suburbs you'll be working in. e.g. Richmond is fairly close and is served by both rail and bus lines. Commuting to, say, Coquitlam would be more of a pain. In any case, I think grad students also pay for the mandatory transit pass fee, so it makes sense to use transit whenever possible since you get unlimited access.

And yes, I lived on campus for my entire time there. The housing on campus is convenient and you get good bang for the buck. The main problem is there isn't enough of it.

Edited by metasyntactic

• 2 weeks later...

High five! Which areas are you looking at?

I just applied to the UBC on-campus housing. For 4 room thunderbird year-round residence, I am waitlist #288... This is the lowest I am on any waitlist. I will likely need to get an apartment. It's hard to judge by online photos though.

Are you going to put a down deposit on an apartment you've never seen in person? I don't think I can do that. But, if I wait until I get there, the apartments available will be scarce.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am moving to Vancouver this fall as well! I grew up in a suburb of Toronto, went to Uoft for undergrad and MSc so up and moving across the country to UBC is a little daunting, not to mention I have zero friends or family in BC. I have one acquaintance that I met at a conference last summer who has been very helpful.

I have been looking at the UBC AMS rentline for apartment listings and Craigslist. It seems that listings go up a month before availability...so I'm thinking of visiting Vancouver for a week or two in July to (hopefully) secure a place for August/September. I'm thinking about Dunbar/Point Grey/Kitsilano area...that way I'm an in the middle of campus and downtown.

Gotta say; I will miss the fact that UofT is in the heart of downtown, unlike UBC. I hope I'm able to get used to that.

Have you guys made any progress apartment hunting?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am moving to Vancouver this fall as well! I grew up in a suburb of Toronto, went to Uoft for undergrad and MSc so up and moving across the country to UBC is a little daunting, not to mention I have zero friends or family in BC. I have one acquaintance that I met at a conference last summer who has been very helpful.

I have been looking at the UBC AMS rentline for apartment listings and Craigslist. It seems that listings go up a month before availability...so I'm thinking of visiting Vancouver for a week or two in July to (hopefully) secure a place for August/September. I'm thinking about Dunbar/Point Grey/Kitsilano area...that way I'm an in the middle of campus and downtown.

Gotta say; I will miss the fact that UofT is in the heart of downtown, unlike UBC. I hope I'm able to get used to that.

Have you guys made any progress apartment hunting?

I haven't checked this thread in a while! Hello, fellow Vancouver newbie! :)

I've been casually apartment hunting on craigslist, kijiji and AMS, but since I'm also planning to move in August, I'll only start being serious/desperate around mid June/early July. Because I've never lived with strangers before, I haven't decided if I'd like a roommate or if it'd be better to pay a little extra to be on my own; I think it'd be great if I can find a group of graduate students living together and squeeze in with them, but it doesn't seem too likely. (Wishful thinking inspired by too many sitcoms? :D)

I'm also planning a short visit in early July over Canada day weekend to look at places!

I haven't checked this thread in a while! Hello, fellow Vancouver newbie! :)

I've been casually apartment hunting on craigslist, kijiji and AMS, but since I'm also planning to move in August, I'll only start being serious/desperate around mid June/early July. Because I've never lived with strangers before, I haven't decided if I'd like a roommate or if it'd be better to pay a little extra to be on my own; I think it'd be great if I can find a group of graduate students living together and squeeze in with them, but it doesn't seem too likely. (Wishful thinking inspired by too many sitcoms? :D)

I'm also planning a short visit in early July over Canada day weekend to look at places!

I've only ever lived in my parents' house or on my own so I'm not sure how I feel about living with other people let alone strangers. It seems that rent in Vancouver is way worse than downtown Toronto so I'm going to be paying a lot more to live on my own there than I am here, which is unfortunate. I guess you could live on your own for the first year and take that time to meet people, make friends, etc. and then move in with them? My PhD will be at least 3 years so that is an option for me.

Are you looking at specific parts of Vancouver? Also, would you agree to rent a place without first checking it out physically yourself? I am defending my MSc thesis first week of July, so I'll be visiting the week after. Keep all of us posted on how all that pans out for you!

I've only ever lived in my parents' house or on my own so I'm not sure how I feel about living with other people let alone strangers. It seems that rent in Vancouver is way worse than downtown Toronto so I'm going to be paying a lot more to live on my own there than I am here, which is unfortunate. I guess you could live on your own for the first year and take that time to meet people, make friends, etc. and then move in with them? My PhD will be at least 3 years so that is an option for me.

Are you looking at specific parts of Vancouver? Also, would you agree to rent a place without first checking it out physically yourself? I am defending my MSc thesis first week of July, so I'll be visiting the week after. Keep all of us posted on how all that pans out for you!

Will do! I hope you'll do the same!

My parents suggested a system(?) similar to yours, where I live on my own for the first year to get used to the city and the program without stressing over roommate issues, then move in with friends I've made over the year. I'm more concerned that without roommates, I'll have a hard time meeting new people and making friends. I suspect I'll end up living on my own unless I find a great place that comes with a friend-of-a-friend roommate or such.

I'm thinking of downtown Vancouver/Kits: I will be doing some off-campus practicum work around town, so I'm trying to be near public transportation hubbubs. I wouldn't want to rent a place I haven't seen, but I guess I might have to unless I start househunting harder...eep! :|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey. Heading off to UBC myself and wondering if anyone knows anything about Thunderbird grad rez? Was on the waitlist yesterday at 279 offered a studio today and have 2 days to reply....

There are apartments close to campus at 1200 per month that are available...a little pricey.

Thanks

Hey. Heading off to UBC myself and wondering if anyone knows anything about Thunderbird grad rez? Was on the waitlist yesterday at 279 offered a studio today and have 2 days to reply....

There are apartments close to campus at 1200 per month that are available...a little pricey.

Thanks

I haven't heard anything specifically about Thunderbird, but people seemed to enjoy living on campus in general.

I have a question for everyone: I'm hoping to visit Vancouver for a long weekend in the second week of July: do you think this is enough time for me to find a place? I have two places lined up so far through AMSrental and craigslist, and intend to keep looking until then. Let me know if you think this is a ludicrously short visit for apartment hunting! This is my first time apartment hunting and I have no idea how screwed I am! sad.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything specifically about Thunderbird, but people seemed to enjoy living on campus in general.

I have a question for everyone: I'm hoping to visit Vancouver for a long weekend in the second week of July: do you think this is enough time for me to find a place? I have two places lined up so far through AMSrental and craigslist, and intend to keep looking until then. Let me know if you think this is a ludicrously short visit for apartment hunting! This is my first time apartment hunting and I have no idea how screwed I am! sad.gif

Did you end up finding anything? I got back from Vancouver last week, I also only went for a week but I felt that was sufficient time to find a place.

I'll be living near 12th and Discovery...anyone living close by or in the Kits/West Point Grey area? It is very sleepy compared to the downtown Toronto life I'm used to but I hope I adjust!

Did you end up finding anything? I got back from Vancouver last week, I also only went for a week but I felt that was sufficient time to find a place.

I'll be living near 12th and Discovery...anyone living close by or in the Kits/West Point Grey area? It is very sleepy compared to the downtown Toronto life I'm used to but I hope I adjust!

Congrats! I also found a place: a rental apartment downtown with a roommate! I feel very lucky, even though I'm facing a 30 minute bus commute to school, and no car/parent to fall back on for rides on late mornings...for the first time rolleyes.gif. It sounds like you'll be walking distance from campus: lucky!

As an aside, how would everyone feel about a collective coffee and/or beer date with all the newbie UBC grad students from thegradcafe forums sometime before school starts? I think it could be fun to see each other in person!

Congrats! I also found a place: a rental apartment downtown with a roommate! I feel very lucky, even though I'm facing a 30 minute bus commute to school, and no car/parent to fall back on for rides on late mornings...for the first time rolleyes.gif. It sounds like you'll be walking distance from campus: lucky!

As an aside, how would everyone feel about a collective coffee and/or beer date with all the newbie UBC grad students from thegradcafe forums sometime before school starts? I think it could be fun to see each other in person!

YAY! That's fantastic...I was seriously contemplating living downtown even though it would be a bit of commute b/c I'm used to the hectic having-people-around-all-the-time lifestyle. You'll have a roommate? Did you guys know each other previously? I checked out two places with roommates but I thought I'd rather live by myself for $200 more.

Where in downtown will you be living?

Yes, I think a collective coffee date BEFORE school starts is a great idea! I move for good on August 24th, when do you move?

YAY! That's fantastic...I was seriously contemplating living downtown even though it would be a bit of commute b/c I'm used to the hectic having-people-around-all-the-time lifestyle. You'll have a roommate? Did you guys know each other previously? I checked out two places with roommates but I thought I'd rather live by myself for $200 more.

Where in downtown will you be living?

Yes, I think a collective coffee date BEFORE school starts is a great idea! I move for good on August 24th, when do you move?

I'll be living on Robson and Cambie. My future roommate and I are pretty much strangers; we talked for 5 minutes while viewing the apartment to make sure neither of us were insane, but that's about all we know about each other so here goes nothing! :D

I'm moving August 3rd, so I'll be up for any time in August. Last week of August sounds like might be a good time for a meet and greet...when is everyone else moving?

Hello everyone!

I am beginning my grad studies at UBC this Winter term and am moving to Vancouver from Chicago on my own. Anyone else out there in need of a roommate!?

How is the roommate search going? I know someone who might be looking for a male roommate in the upcoming year so please PM me if you're interested :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I was just cleaning my inbox and found an old email explaining orientation for new grads takes place on September 2nd! Is anyone from here going? On the website for newly admitted students, there's a bunch of events taking place that entire week...I only JUST noticed!

Also, because I am broke and cannot afford to pay rent in Toronto AND Vancouver during August, I won't be moving until September 1st. It's happening so fast, I haven't even finished my MSc thesis revisions yet.

Anyway, has anyone received emails from their respective departments about a departmental orientation? I am in Neuroscience and haven't heard anything! I feel that will be the important one to attend as opposed to the one intended for all grads.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use