Physics?

Guest Pabee

Guest just_me

Leave the guy alone.

I for one am very grateful that people like him put their details online so that people like me can read it and get an idea on what gets accepted and what doesn't.

I'm an international student staring down the barrel of a whitewash of rejections and I feel no bitterness towards him. Congratulations you've done well, don't be turned away from posting your progress because of this idiot... you haven't seemed arrogant at all to me.

I'd post my own profile but I'd be afraid of some maniac trawling the internet for hours to discover my identity.

Nevermind, I'll post enough to give people reading an idea, but not give anything personal away.

(removed by request)

just_me: are you a fulbright scholar for the coming year, or are you coming off of a fulbright scholarship? your post suggets the former. if so, did you communicate that with your schools already? it's possible that some schools might not want to admit you because you would not be entering until fall 2007, at which point the funding situation might be different, especially becuase you are an international student.

regarding the Rochester guy.... Well, I don't believe he's being ostentatious - just factual. Besides I'm sure now that everyone knows of him they will have quite a laugh once they see him at one of the schools he has gotten accepted to. He will be secretly laughed at for the rest of his graduate career!

I'm reading the stuff above, and I'm rather upset that someone took my profile post so seriously and assumed that I was doing this to show off. I was trying to remain anonymous, but I was also aware that any of you was smart enough to figure out who I was from the profile. It was certanly not my intention to seem immodest, but rather to put in as much information as possible about my academic career so that people could make a reasonable assessment.

I certainly was not sure of being accepted to places; anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm neurotic, nervous, and rather terrified of failure. I'm pretty sure that most people here have an enviable record of research, and I think that some of you probably deserve to be in some of these schools more than I. I'm just fortunate that growing up in India left me with some skill in test-taking and a more advanced basic education.

Again, I'd like to offer my sincere apologies for anyone whom I might have offended by this. physiker, I certainly don't think that your post simply comes from being bitter; it's quite possible that what I wrote could have been misconstrued. I can only say that I wish everyone on this forum the best, and in no way feel superior or 'flawless' as you seem to imagine I do. Indeed, I spent most of last week smacking my