Bowling Green, OH

ancientdance

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Pros? Cons? What's it like living there? I visited for a couple days for interviews, and it doesn't seem too...exciting. Thoughts?

I did not like Bowling Green. I went there my first year of college and there didn't seem to be a lot to do besides join a sorority or get drunk on the weekends. That said, they do have several well-known programs, especially in psychology and education, that may outweigh the negatives of the town. You can drive to Toledo in about 20-30 minute, but there isn't much to do there either. If you want to spend all of your time on school work, then it is probably a good place to live. If you want to have a life outside of school, go elsewhere.

Pros? Cons? What's it like living there? I visited for a couple days for interviews, and it doesn't seem too...exciting. Thoughts?

It really depends how old you are and where you're from. I grew up in NW ohio and went to undergrad there. it was perfect for the time, but was too small for me. I know the grads can be found all at the same bar on Friday nights. Its southeast of campus but the name seems to escape me.

Well, what kinds of things interest you? Are you looking for musuems? Do you like to volunteer? Do you like to party? Camping?

Bowling green is a small town (Bowling green is IN Bowling green, right? ) and Toledo is a repressed city right now, but if you give people more of an indication on what is exciting to you then it will be easier for people to help you out. There are alot of schools in that area so there may be more to do at UT or U of Findlay's campus as well.

• 7 months later...

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has been through or knows anything about the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Ph.D program at BGU. Any feedback on the program, BGU, or the area in general? I am married with two small children, so I am looking for a place to live that is relatively inexpensive and safe.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if anyone has been through or knows anything about the Industrial/Organizational Psychology Ph.D program at BGU. Any feedback on the program, BGU, or the area in general? I am married with two small children, so I am looking for a place to live that is relatively inexpensive and safe.

Thanks!

I did my Undergrad and Master's at BGSU (there's an S there, by the way), so hopefully I can be of some assistance.

Psychology was one of my majors as an undergrad, but I wasn't in I/O. Despite that, I will say that everything I have heard about it, and everyone I know who was, had great things to say about it. I'm not positive, but I think it is ranked OK. As for the Bowling Green itself, it is quite cheap and quite safe. It is a pretty small town and there isn't a whole lot to do there, but there is a fair amount of things within driving distance.

Hope that helps.

I did my Undergrad and Master's at BGSU (there's an S there, by the way), so hopefully I can be of some assistance.

Psychology was one of my majors as an undergrad, but I wasn't in I/O. Despite that, I will say that everything I have heard about it, and everyone I know who was, had great things to say about it. I'm not positive, but I think it is ranked OK. As for the Bowling Green itself, it is quite cheap and quite safe. It is a pretty small town and there isn't a whole lot to do there, but there is a fair amount of things within driving distance.

Hope that helps.

Great, that does help. Thank you!

hello! hm, not quite sure what you are seeking to find out but I can give some general information about Ohio.

I have lived in Ohio most of my life. I can say that the interesting places in Ohio are usually Columbus or Cincinnati. if you're looking for excitement, those are the places you will probably have to go. I highly recommend a visit to Yellow Springs (near Dayton in the South) if you get a chance; it's a cute small town. if you are interested in concerts, most artists seem to come through Cleveland (The Grogg Shop) or Cinci. there is also Cedar Point in Sandusky, a huge amusement park :) for the most part, going from the top of the state to the bottom takes about 4 hours.

Ohio also has some lovely parks to hike in Akron (near Cleveland). Ohio is also very flat but these parks in Akron are somewhat "hilly" and reminded me a bit of the hiking I did at Issaquah at Washington state. Cinci, in my opinion is the most liberal part of the state; Newport near Cinci has a big shopping area and lots of lovely old architecture. areas around Akron are more environmentally concerned but otherwise the state seems to say "meh" when it comes to not littering. if you are a vegetarian or vegan, finding a place to eat with something besides a salad can be difficult if you are wanting a unique meal.

the weather in Ohio can be very nasty in the winter as well. our bus system is so-so. I hear that BG has quite a party atmosphere but not as much as it's big brother school, Ohio University in Athens. according to my friends in state, it seems that the University of Cinci, Ohio State and Ohio University seem to have the most lively campuses.

this is just some very general information, maybe it will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Bowling Green is a nice little college town. They have a great local coffee shop/bookstore right in the middle of town (not too far from campus and ironically located across the street from Panera). The Black Swamp Arts Festival every year is pretty nice, and there is a rather cheap movie theatre located there as well. I don't know much else about the social life around BG, but Toledo (about 25 minutes away), while steeped in poverty and fighting harsh economic times, has some very interesting entertainment/cultural options. The Zoo is top-notch (voted in the top 10 in the country, I believe) with a new Children's Zoo (Nature's Neighborhood) that is simply outstanding. The Museum is also highly rated, and often has incredibly amazing exhibits. The Toledo Symphony is also fantastic - in fact, they just played Carnegie Hall this past Spring. And if you like sports, there's a hockey team and a baseball team - the Mud Hens stadium is a lot of fun. There is also a number of great bars/clubs, and a thriving local music scene. Oh - and, surprisingly, lots of art studios.

The weather sucks, the landscape is flat and boring...but I think Northwest Ohio has a pretty nice personality.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

I live in BG now and live in a house on Main Street that's divided into apartments. Main is where's all the "cool" stuff is located--bars, coffee shops, a record store, etc--and there are a few housing options there like the old hotel and I believe an actual complex. Take a look at Greenbrier and Mecca listings, they're both renters in the area.

My ex is getting her grad degree at BGSU - I visted her once. 

From my long weekend trip I thought the place was sort of "meh".  I like that they have a graveyard on campus - spooooooky!

There are some interesting bars and the night life felt really really safe.  There are some cool things on the main drag - some good bars and some hipster looking stores.

It's a small college town and exactly what you expect a small college town to be like.

I nearly applied there! So it didn't scare me off.

• 1 year later...

Hello friends.

Can anyone please give me some updated info about the city? I really like small towns and gonna spend most of my time on the campus (BGSU). Also, details on housing are much appreciated.

I'm 28 and been accepted in Theatre program (PhD). They have offered me an assistantship which ensures 14,000 $ for 9 months. Do you think I can live there by this money? How is the art atmosphere there?

Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, mrbabaee said:

Hello friends.

Can anyone please give me some updated info about the city? I really like small towns and gonna spend most of my time on the campus (BGSU). Also, details on housing are much appreciated.

I'm 28 and been accepted in Theatre program (PhD). They have offered me an assistantship which ensures 14,000 $ for 9 months. Do you think I can live there by this money? How is the art atmosphere there?

Thank you in advance.

I'm not going there, but I've applied and visited for a different program.

As stated before, it's very cheap (by a lot of standards). I was told a two bedroom apartment was in the 600-700 range. If you were frugal, I definitely think 14,000 would suffice, comfortable even, perhaps. And the indoor spaces of the campus are actually quiet lovely. I could easily see myself spending an entire day inside of the union. The union felt like an airport (e.g., you'd rarely have to leave the building).

Also, their arts center is gorgeous. It's difficult to grasp the scale of that building. If you look real close you can see a fairly large entry door or two.Wolfe-Center-Bowling-Green-University.jp

I can't really say much else, to be honest. My visit was only a few days, and I was busy for all of it. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I'm not going there, but I've applied and visited for a different program.

As stated before, it's very cheap (by a lot of standards). I was told a two bedroom apartment was in the 600-700 range. If you were frugal, I definitely think 14,000 would suffice, comfortable even, perhaps. And the indoor spaces of the campus are actually quiet lovely. I could easily see myself spending an entire day inside of the union. The union felt like an airport (e.g., you'd rarely have to leave the building).

Also, their arts center is gorgeous. It's difficult to grasp the scale of that building. If you look real close you can see a fairly large entry door or two.Wolfe-Center-Bowling-Green-University.jp

I can't really say much else, to be honest. My visit was only a few days, and I was busy for all of it. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Thank you my dear friend! I really appreciate your comments. 

5 hours ago, mrbabaee said:

Thank you my dear friend! I really appreciate your comments. 

My pleasure! :) 

I should also clarify, by "I'm not going there" I mean "I'm not attending there currently". I reread that and it sounded like I didn't want to go there. Oops!

Edited by Neist

16 hours ago, Neist said:

My pleasure! :) 

I should also clarify, by "I'm not going there" I mean "I'm not attending there currently". I reread that and it sounded like I didn't want to go there. Oops!

Oh, I understand. Thank you for the clarification :)

• 2 months later...

So, finally I committed to BGSU (PhD in Theatre). Now, all I have to do is to rent a one bedroom house.

I've reviewed some websites and found out some options. But, thing is, I'm unfamiliar with the neighborhoods. So, I'd appreciate it if you suggest me some safe neighborhoods which are far away from undergraduate territories (ergo, constant partying!). Also, it would be great if your suggestions would be in the walking distance of university.

Thank you in advance.

Bowling Green is a small town, so there isn't much to it. 

It's all pretty safe, especially near campus/downtown, but if you're trying to get away from the Undergrads there really isn't any place to go. Everything around campus and downtown is taken over by undergrads, as are the student complexes (falcon's point, edge, copper beach). If you really want to avoid them, you will have to live in Perrysburg and commute (it's about 10 minutes). The next bet would probably be stuff beyond downtown, near the Kroger on Main/Poe. 

Unfortunately none of those places are walking distance. Anything within walking distance of the university will have a strong undergrad presence, but hopefully next year will be more bearable with the fraternities moving back onto campus. 

Call one of the management companies, Mecca, etc. They can help. 

Edited by mmmarimba

1 hour ago, mmmarimba said:

Bowling Green is a small town, so there isn't much to it. 

It's all pretty safe, especially near campus/downtown, but if you're trying to get away from the Undergrads there really isn't any place to go. Everything around campus and downtown is taken over by undergrads, as are the student complexes (falcon's point, edge, copper beach). If you really want to avoid them, you will have to live in Perrysburg and commute (it's about 10 minutes). The next bet would probably be stuff beyond downtown, near the Kroger on Main/Poe. 

Unfortunately none of those places are walking distance. Anything within walking distance of the university will have a strong undergrad presence, but hopefully next year will be more bearable with the fraternities moving back onto campus. 

Call one of the management companies, Mecca, etc. They can help. 

I appreciate your response, it helps a lot :)

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in a small townhouse complex on the south end of town called Varsity Square. It's not within walking distance, but it is VERY quiet and very grad-student friendly (at least when I was there from 2007-09). I would say that if you're worried about avoiding undergraduates, it's going to be tough; it's better just to avoid the high-traffic areas when people usually go out for partying and drinking (Thursday-Saturday). After a while, you'll find that it's easy to avoid them or maneuver around them when you're out and about yourself.

My point is that it will be hard to avoid them since the population of the campus itself is about the same as the rest of the town. But, it can be done, and you can likely find your own places to do things in town, or a short drive out of town.  

• 3 years later...

Hi, all,

I grew up in Bowling Green, OH and have lived here or within the area for most of my life. Bowling Green is one of THE safest cities you could ever hope for. Though we certainly have the occasional car break-in, alcohol-related incident, and (sadly) sexual assault (mostly on campus, it seems), the murder rate is so low it doesn't even register. Maybe one every 20 years. The neighborhoods surrounding campus can get a little "wild" on weekends, of course, as they are largely student-populated. But the suburban neighborhoods on the west side of town are the kind where you can walk your dog at 3:00 AM and nobody will bother you. 

If you want a party lifestyle, BG might be a tad boring, though the bars downtown do get quite lively. 

However, if you're a grad student or young professor looking for a safe place to raise a family, this is the town in which to do it.

I'll admit that in my 20s I got very bored and moved to a very big city for the excitement. BG is a great place for raising kids and for growing older due to its safety.

The cost of living isn't bad, either. While a $14,000 doctoral stipend (2019) is not a lot, with roommates and conservative living, one can survive. There are also plenty of retail establishments and restaurants seeking part-time workers. As there is no public transportation system aside from a taxi service, if you wanted to Uber or Lyft, you could earn extra that way.

Yes, it's flatlands and cornfields. Yes, we are known for hosting the National Tractor Pull in August (on BGSU move-in weekend, for some ridiculous reason). Yes, the summers are humid and the winters can be horrendous (but not Minnesota horrendous)--it's the wind and the wind chills more than anything, and the lack of wind breaks. But it's a safe, small college town with a nice campus and good programs, and hey, it's only for 2-5 years, right?