For Ecology & Evolution people, past and present!

anselmo1

Seems that many of the bio discussions here are geared towards, or populated by the Molecular/Neuro folks, which is fine, but I'd love to see a thread dedicated in particular to the applications, concerns and ideas of the EEB crowd, past and present.

I'm a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Organismal Biology. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'll intend to do it in the summer of 2011 and apply that fall for a possible fall 2012 entry. My GPA is 3.3 now and I'm trying to raise it at least to 3.5. I have some research experience in an animal behavior lab, and I'll try to work in another lab or two in the next three semesters.

My research interests include social evolution, eusociality, social insects, mathematical modeling of social behavior and population dynamics, with a hint of systematics mixed in. Some of the schools I'm going to apply include Rice, Texas, Tufts, Louisville and Harvard.

So, EEB people, join the monologue! :)

Check out Notre Dame.. I'm heading there for the fall and EEB is a huge growing presence in th department.. They are bringing in several new faculty in the area. I know of at least one great insect behavior prof --> look at Belovsky he does some really interesting stuff out on land notre dame has at the national bison range. They have great field sites through a program called UNDEREC with a site to do insect work in Puerto Rico too. Stipends are generous and cost of living I low. Placement into top ten program for postdoctoral positions is quite common as well.

Seems that many of the bio discussions here are geared towards, or populated by the Molecular/Neuro folks, which is fine, but I'd love to see a thread dedicated in particular to the applications, concerns and ideas of the EEB crowd, past and present.

I'm a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Organismal Biology. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'll intend to do it in the summer of 2011 and apply that fall for a possible fall 2012 entry. My GPA is 3.3 now and I'm trying to raise it at least to 3.5. I have some research experience in an animal behavior lab, and I'll try to work in another lab or two in the next three semesters.

My research interests include social evolution, eusociality, social insects, mathematical modeling of social behavior and population dynamics, with a hint of systematics mixed in. Some of the schools I'm going to apply include Rice, Texas, Tufts, Louisville and Harvard.

• 2 weeks later...

You should also check out the dept of Integrative Biology at UC Berkeley. I'll be starting there in the fall, and I absolutely love the people/program/area. Not sure about your specific areas of interest, but there generally tends to be a little bit of everything at UCB. I will be studying marine environmental physiology, biochemical adaptation, and molecular evolution.

Good luck!

Hey guys... I just joined this site and found this thread.

Right now, I'm a sophomore at a large public university. I plan on graduating in May 2012 with a BA in Biology and a minor in Anthropology. I'm interested in Animal Behavior, specifically primates (hence the Anthro minor).

I'm anxious about applying to grad schools... I would ideally (as of now) like to apply for admission into PhD programs for Fall 2012. Is it common to apply to PhD programs beginning the fall after undergraduate graduation? I am kind of worried because almost all of the programs have application deadlines in December, so I won't even have my final GPA by then, etc.

Looking for any advice on this! Thanks.

Nice to meet EEB people! Indeed any graduate school forum I go there is alot of med sci or mol bio people so this thread kinda makes me feel like posting :)

Im a pop gen/ evo bio person and Ive applied this season and going to cornell this fall to their genetics and development program. Cornell has a EEB department but I chose the genetics and development department cuz they put more emphasis on pop gen and evo gen.

Anyways anybody planning to apply for evo gen or pop gen can ask me for stuff if ur wondering

Right now, I'm a sophomore at a large public university. I plan on graduating in May 2012 with a BA in Biology and a minor in Anthropology. I'm interested in Animal behavior, specifically primates (hence the Anthro minor).

I'm anxious about applying to grad schools... I would ideally (as of now) like to apply for admission into PhD programs for Fall 2012. Is it common to apply to PhD programs beginning the fall after undergraduate graduation? I am kind of worried because almost all of the programs have application deadlines in December, so I won't even have my final GPA by then, etc.

hey tom5156 to answer ur question it is normal for people to apply the year they are graduating. Im graduating well this May and Ive made it into grad school. Even if you dont have your last year marks grad schools look at the marks you currently have. Anyways marks are only a minor role and so is GRE scores. If you have stellar research background it'll make up if you have an underpar grades.

Right now, I'm a sophomore at a large public university. I plan on graduating in May 2012 with a BA in Biology and a minor in Anthropology. I'm interested in Animal Behavior, specifically primates (hence the Anthro minor).

Yeah, this won't be a problem. A fair number of people apply to grad school before they finish undergrad. You'll just submit your transcript as is (most likely before your fall grades are even posted), and that'll be good enough for them. There are many pieces of the application that the admissions committee will use to gauge your strength as an applicant, and your grades are just a small part of that. However most schools will also still want a complete transcript that shows you finished your BA/BS if you do matriculate in the fall following your graduation from undergrad, so you'll probably have to submit a copy then too. Really not a big deal.

Thanks guys for the responses and information!

To be honest, I feel like I am a strong candidate for a PhD program. I'm bright and I really am passionate about research and science. I'm doing research in a marine ecology lab (and have been all this year), and I recently was offered a position as a research assistant studying primate behavior at the local zoo for the summer (through a Professor at my university). My advisor in the marine ecology lab is the Director of the Graduate program in EEB at my school, so I am hoping a good letter from him will hold some weight (I also am close with another established and well-known Professor who I am hoping will write me a letter). I'm the vice-president of the Undergraduate Biology Association (my school's bio club), and I am anticipating doing well on the GREs, I'm good at taking standardized tests and I've been preparing for it for some time. (By the way, I'm not trying to boast at all I just want to give you guys an idea of my academic profile)

However, I really am worried about my GPA. I understand that GPA really is so subjective and that grad programs realize that... but it's still important. I did well my freshman year, but this year I had to take orgo and physics, both of which I hate haha. I got a 2.9 last semester, and am anticipating around a 2.5 this semester, but with those grades I'll still have a cumulative of a 3.0-3.1 going into my junior year. Next year I'm taking great classes that are interesting to me and I'm looking forward to doing well and improving my GPA.

So I guess my biggest concern about applying for PhD programs entering the Fall after I graduate it that 1/3 of my academic record (GPAwise) at the time I'm applying is pretty poor. I've done a lot of research on advisors and programs, and am well informed about all the processes and procedures... I just wish I had more acceptance statistics to compare my profile with (like predent.com/studentdoctor).

Do any of you guys have any insight as to what a competitive/average acceptance GPA range would look like? I hope to graduate with around a 3.3-3.4.... but I also feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I am ideally going to enter a PhD program without a Master's, so I would imagine that there is a higher standard? I really appreciate any advice or information you guys have. smile.gif

Thanks guys for the responses and information!

To be honest, I feel like I am a strong candidate for a PhD program. I'm bright and I really am passionate about research and science. I'm doing research in a marine ecology lab (and have been all this year), and I recently was offered a position as a research assistant studying primate behavior at the local zoo for the summer (through a Professor at my university). My advisor in the marine ecology lab is the Director of the Graduate program in EEB at my school, so I am hoping a good letter from him will hold some weight (I also am close with another established and well-known Professor who I am hoping will write me a letter). I'm the vice-president of the Undergraduate Biology Association (my school's bio club), and I am anticipating doing well on the GREs, I'm good at taking standardized tests and I've been preparing for it for some time. (By the way, I'm not trying to boast at all I just want to give you guys an idea of my academic profile)

However, I really am worried about my GPA. I understand that GPA really is so subjective and that grad programs realize that... but it's still important. I did well my freshman year, but this year I had to take orgo and physics, both of which I hate haha. I got a 2.9 last semester, and am anticipating around a 2.5 this semester, but with those grades I'll still have a cumulative of a 3.0-3.1 going into my junior year. Next year I'm taking great classes that are interesting to me and I'm looking forward to doing well and improving my GPA.

So I guess my biggest concern about applying for PhD programs entering the Fall after I graduate it that 1/3 of my academic record (GPAwise) at the time I'm applying is pretty poor. I've done a lot of research on advisors and programs, and am well informed about all the processes and procedures... I just wish I had more acceptance statistics to compare my profile with (like predent.com/studentdoctor).

Do any of you guys have any insight as to what a competitive/average acceptance GPA range would look like? I hope to graduate with around a 3.3-3.4.... but I also feel like I'm at a disadvantage because I am ideally going to enter a PhD program without a Master's, so I would imagine that there is a higher standard? I really appreciate any advice or information you guys have. smile.gif

Your first paragraph is full of great things that you've been doing, so keep up the good work there. Research experience and forging relationships with professors who can write letters that really speak to your qualifications with some amount of depth is a great idea. It sounds like you have a good grasp on what it takes to go to grad school and to be successful in doing research.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like nowadays it's more common to apply to a PhD program in the sciences without a master's degree. I don't have one, and I got into two-thirds of the programs I applied to, including my top choice. There isn't a magical formula for getting in because admissions committees consider each person as a total package -- do your research interests match the lab spaces they have available? can you write a statement of purpose that for some reason stands out from the rest of the pile? at the interview, do you have a personality and communication style that will suit the culture program? Your grades for this semester probably won't be a positive factor for you (especially since they're in relatively important science subjects that your competitors have probably taken too), but they won't necessarily sink your application if the rest of it is solid. When it comes right down to it, it's all a magical guessing game. Just do the best you can and hope it works for you.

Thought I would join in here. I am finishing up my sophomore year at a large NE state university. I am majoring in Biology with an option in Plant Biology. I am definitely interested in attending graduate school for a PhD, I guess that would put me applying for Fall 2012.

My undergrad research thus far has focused on evolutionary ecology of plant reproductive systems and will be writing a senior honors thesis based off it. I can see my interests though shifting more towards plant systematics work as I continue my coursework in my major. I am also a teaching assistant for several introductory biology courses. I love the interactions I have with my students, not so much the grading. My GPA has been hovering around a 3.8 for a while now and I don't anticipate it going anywhere else soon.

Question though- As finals week approaches I can see myself getting a C in Organic Chem 2. I am doing great in all my other classes but this one (can anyone say orgo burn-out?!?!) so it should only knock my GPA back slightly. What effect would that have on grad schools when they review my transcripts?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I'm also interested in Ecology and Evolution, specifically insect systematics (and even more specifically, hymenopteran systematics if I can wing it). I'm a rising senior at a very good private institution, and I'll be applying this fall for entry in Fall 2011. I've been doing research for the past year at my school in bee systematics, and last summer I did an REU on parasitic wasp systematics. This summer I'm starting independent research about aculeate systematics, and I'm planning on continuing that and turning it into an honors thesis this upcoming year. My GPA isn't incredible but won't hold me back, I hope (~3.6), my GRE scores are great, and I have a pretty substantial background in systematics (including 2 400-level courses on systematics, computer science background, computational biology/entomology double major...).

I'm having a really hard time choosing where to apply, mostly because this is a somewhat large part of my life that I will be spending in a specific location. I know location shouldn't be that important, but it's hard for me to convince myself I'd be happy staying in a rural, or even suburban, environment. So I'm going to try to apply mostly to programs in cities, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself and I'm not sure if I actually have a chance at a lot of the schools I'm looking at.

Does anyone have any input regarding applying to schools for location rather than program? Should I be more concerned with the program's strength than the location?

Looking forward to talking with you all!

I'm having a really hard time choosing where to apply, mostly because this is a somewhat large part of my life that I will be spending in a specific location. I know location shouldn't be that important, but it's hard for me to convince myself I'd be happy staying in a rural, or even suburban, environment. So I'm going to try to apply mostly to programs in cities, but at the same time I don't want to limit myself and I'm not sure if I actually have a chance at a lot of the schools I'm looking at.

Does anyone have any input regarding applying to schools for location rather than program? Should I be more concerned with the program's strength than the location?

Location is definitely an important consideration!!! Like you said, especially for PhD programs, it's important to be a place you'll be happy. If you're unhappy because of a location (social life, weather, proximity to family/friends...) it bleeds over into everything else. You will be most successful where you're happy, so consider all aspects before making your decision. Also, if you're constantly griping about how [school A] doesn't have X it really won't help your professional or personal success if you're seen with a negative person.

I would say don't rule out a really good program immediately because you don't think you'd like the location, but don't ignore the location either. If the program/advisor/research sounds awesome, go visit, you might be surprised. Location concerns is one of the (many) reasons I went for a M.S. before deciding to stay for a PhD -- I wasn't ready to be tied to a single place yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm glad this thread has gotten some replies, even though the OP (me) has been out of the loop here...

Thank you for the suggestions on Notre Dame and Berkeley. And kogia.breviceps, I think I do need to forget about Rice, the prof I was interested in working with is moving to another school.

Entomology, you should consider the University of Kansas, there are some great systematics and entomology people.

Oh, I feel that I might need to open up to studying another organism besides social insects. It's hard enough to find professors who do the kind of research that would fit to my interests, and chances are that some of those few won't even accept grad students when I'm applying...

Hey everyone,

I'm also interested in Ecology and Evolution, specifically insect systematics (and even more specifically, hymenopteran systematics if I can wing it). I'm a rising senior at a very good private institution, and I'll be applying this fall for entry in Fall 2011. I've been doing research for the past year at my school in bee systematics, and last summer I did an REU on parasitic wasp systematics. This summer I'm starting independent research about aculeate systematics, and I'm planning on continuing that and turning it into an honors thesis this upcoming year. My GPA isn't incredible but won't hold me back, I hope (~3.6), my GRE scores are great, and I have a pretty substantial background in systematics (including 2 400-level courses on systematics, computer science background, computational biology/entomology double major...).

Hello, fellow future entomologist! Good luck with your search; there really are a ton of great entomology programs (if that's where you ultimately decide). My main suggestion is to see if you want an entomology or evolution base, or both, and see what schools come up in your search. I know at least at UMass there is an Entomology/Evolution interdisciplinary choice.

As far as location, you might have some issues. Most entomology programs have their foundation in the school of agriculture so many will be in the boonies. But if you're more interested in systematics the connections are often with the evolution faculty which can be in the bigger city centers. At OSU the more ag faculty are based in the podunk Wooster while the rest are in Columbus. (Also my first recommendation is OSU, haha ;) )

I also think you have an awesome shot at the top tier Ent schools (many of the UC and Arizona). If those programs are truly a good fit do not hesitate in applying.

• 3 months later...

Its nice to see people interested in ecology! I'm currently applying to PhD programs for fall 2011, and have overall interests in community ecology, but more specifically in the effects of human input on rocky shore and coral reef communities (overfishing, increased nutrient load and climate change). While I have research experience, it was through my undergrad program and the research I did after that was volunteer-based, so not very credible...I feel like I need a little more experience, but don't want to do a masters and then not finish my PhD til my mid-30s. And most programs either a) don't readily accept masters students or B) they are more professional master's degrees (that you have to pay big bucks for!), which I don't want. The other option is working, but after trying for 9 months to get a job, it has proven unsuccessful (even in organizations where I have connections). I know I want to get my PhD, but am I alone in feeling that I am not quite ready for it??

• 3 months later...

Hey, it's been a while since anyone posted here...

I'm applying for Fall 2011 admission to behavioral ecology/chemical entomology programs with some phylogenetics, behavior, and mutualisms mixed in there too.

At this point, it's just waiting left for me (I won't hear anything from anyone at least until the end of January, if not a full month later)...so, lots of time to post, refresh email, etc.

Anyone else out there, EEB people?

Just wanna pass along an idea here for ecologically interested people. I suggest joining ESA's listserv (https://listserv.umd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=ecolog-l&A=1). Almost every day there are emails from faculty looking for MS or PhD students in all sorts of subdisciplines. If you're still looking for departments, rolling admissions, or for next application season, the listserv provides some good opportunities.

Just wanna pass along an idea here for ecologically interested people. I suggest joining ESA's listserv (https://listserv.umd...D1=ecolog-l&A=1). Almost every day there are emails from faculty looking for MS or PhD students in all sorts of subdisciplines. If you're still looking for departments, rolling admissions, or for next application season, the listserv provides some good opportunities.

ECOLOG is a great place to look.

Anyone had any news back (interviews, acceptance, rejection, etc...) from a EEB program?

I've never heard of either one of these. Does this mean I have/had bad advisers? :unsure:

No, I don't think it means that. I just signed up for it as a first-year grad so I can start getting an idea of what skills I should acquire so I'm competitive for post-docs (which really is a long time from now :rolleyes: ).

ECOLOG is a great place to look.

Anyone had any news back (interviews, acceptance, rejection, etc...) from a EEB program?

I had an interview in November at a school that doesn't have a lot of prestige, but they do have a POI that I'd like to work with. Other than that I'm getting a little worried. I haven't heard back from any of my December deadline programs yet. Anyone else? I saw someone post an interview from the Cornell NBB program; does anyone know if they have made all of their offers?

I had an interview in November at a school that doesn't have a lot of prestige, but they do have a POI that I'd like to work with. Other than that I'm getting a little worried. I haven't heard back from any of my December deadline programs yet. Anyone else? I saw someone post an interview from the Cornell NBB program; does anyone know if they have made all of their offers?

All I have had so far are phone and Skype interviews. If you contacted advisors prior to applying (which, for most Bio type programs I think is the norm) they will usually follow up with a phone call or something...As for concrete answers from any EEB programs I gather they come a little later than the Humanities-type offers I see on this site...I could be wrong though! I certainly hope not! I haven't heard a peep yet....

Hey everyone,

Balls, Entomology, you're basically me but with better GRE and GPA.

I knew it was bad when my friend introduced me to this website today.

I'm more interested in paleoentomology than general systematics, which may work in favor of two of the schools I applied for. By any chance are you at Cornell with Bryan Danforth?

• 2 weeks later...