For Ecology & Evolution people, past and present!

anselmo1

Has anyone heard about interview weekends from Indiana U?

Nope, but about a week ago I got an update from my POI saying that due to funding he would not be taking a student. However, he sent my application and a letter to others in the department encouraging them to consider me. Good luck, and let me know if you hear something.

UT Austin--for anyone who's interested and tearing their hair out--will have their final (I think) adcomm meeting on the 14th.

I got an unofficial acceptance today (nominated for fellowship, which I hope means they're not going to change their minds...), and the DGS told me the date of the meeting.

Hang in there, everyone, and best of luck!

Has anyone heard about interview weekends from Indiana U?

Nope, but about a week ago I got an update from my POI saying that due to funding he would not be taking a student. However, he sent my application and a letter to others in the department encouraging them to consider me. Good luck, and let me know if you hear something.

a guy who works in the same lab as i do got his invite almost 3 weeks ago from the EEB program. they are flying him out for interview at the end of this month. but he wants to go horticulture science (that's what he keeps telling me), so i have no idea why he even applied here.

a guy who works in the same lab as i do got his invite almost 3 weeks ago from the EEB program. they are flying him out for interview at the end of this month. but he wants to go horticulture science (that's what he keeps telling me), so i have no idea why he even applied here.

3 weeks ago?!?!?! !%$#&%@#*#%$@!

Oh POOOOOOOOP!

• 2 weeks later...

Awwwww, well that's that. I know I haven't been outright rejected (yet?) but still...

soooo sorry for you, Langoustine! i hope they are saving you for the second round. have you heard from other schools? looks like plant programs are taking forever!! i heard from two schools in december, and then zip! - no nothing from anywhere after that.

soooo sorry for you, Langoustine! i hope they are saving you for the second round. have you heard from other schools? looks like plant programs are taking forever!! i heard from two schools in december, and then zip! - no nothing from anywhere after that.

I hope they have more rounds! I've had some encouraging news from other places, and I do have one interview next month :) But I thought I would hear more by now...I am being impatient though. Being in the 'waiting' mode for so long it's so scary to see it starting to come to an end!

Was the December news good news bhikaari? And yeah, I don't see too many ecology people around these parts either but I get the feeling it is a lot slower than other programs...

I hope they have more rounds! I've had some encouraging news from other places, and I do have one interview next month :) But I thought I would hear more by now...I am being impatient though. Being in the 'waiting' mode for so long it's so scary to see it starting to come to an end!

Was the December news good news bhikaari? And yeah, I don't see too many ecology people around these parts either but I get the feeling it is a lot slower than other programs...

hooray for the interview!! i am sure you will do fine.

yes, both news in december were good news. i got into the programs of my choice, and will be making a decision shortly (they are saying they will send me offers this week). but i would also like to hear from rest of the schools because they took (a lot of) my time and money!

But I thought I would hear more by now...I am being impatient though. Being in the 'waiting' mode for so long it's so scary to see it starting to come to an end!

Completely! Waiting sucks, but then when it finally starts to end...I dunno. It's like those moving sidewalks in airports "Caution: The moving walk is nearing its end. Please watch your step" except now instead of feeling sarcastic ("Oh no! The moving walk is nearing its end! Let's hold up picket signs!"), I feel sort of proto-bereft. That may not make sense.

I think Ecology must be slower than other departments--certainly feels like it's slower than most other Biological Science fields.

but i would also like to hear from rest of the schools because they took (a lot of) my time and money!

Amen, and best of luck, Langoustine. :)

Okay UMich. Want to let the rest of us know, since your AdComm obviously already met and made decisions?

O.o

/sarcasm

/whine

Sorry guys. Like we were saying. The waiting.

I haven't heard from UMich either.

Other people seem to have heard straight from their POIs; mine is off doing fieldwork right now.

I hope the Adcomm gets the official emails out soon or I might die of impatience.

I emailed the office this afternoon (stating that I had "other offers" and needed to know what their timeline of notification was for that reason) and they told me that I'd hear back "within 24 hours".

Here's hoping; best of luck!!

Edited by awvish

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out that, in despite of being inferior in terms of GPA and GRE, I did get into graduate school!

I got into University of Kansas, with funding *and* nominated for a university-wide fellowship. I had to fly out for an interview for the fellowship and I find out about it on Friday.

I interviewed at the Richard Gilder Graduate school three weeks ago, and I hadn't heard anything back. I was under the impression that I would find out within a week, at most, so I assumed I had neither been a first round accepted or a first round rejected applicant. I just found out (a week ago, really), that *no one* had heard anything. So now the decisions are back on, which kind of sucks since I began mentally committing myself to going to KU.

It'll be rough if I get into both KU and RGGS. They are both great for what I want to do, just veeerrry different programs. Getting this fellowship I interviewed for will weigh heavily for KU if it happens.

Any one else in a similar boat? Heard anything about the Richard Gilder graduate school?

Nope, how did you find out? Did you email to check?

Talked with a few people, two of which I thought were def shoe ins. Apparently one of them had heard that nothing had gone out yet. I emailed Anna, but she never got back to me : /

Is the word otherwise?

Woe be us. Emailed my PI- the first round of acceptances were sent out, I'm in the next group. Don't know if there were official rejections sent out. Guess I'm going to put off the decision some more. Sigh.

Just curious. Hadn't heard anything since the interviews either.

I got waitlisted for Maryland and CUNY-Graduate Center and UMass should be coming up soon. So freaking tired and stressed out. If I don't get into any Ph.D. programs this time around I know I never will. I guess even with publications in prep AND a master's degree, you are still not guaranteed sigh.

I think it's usually fieldwork, although a friend of mine has worked as an environmental policy consultant in DC for the last several years. Other friends have gone the fieldwork route.

Edited by awvish

what do ecology people do between Bachelor's and PhD? I'm thinking of getting a job, but I'm not sure what kind of job will improve my chances of getting int oa PhD program- fieldwork? something else?

I didn't know if grad school was for me so I did museum and field work. Websites like My link and UMD ecolog are great for finding short term field jobs. Sorry that first link looks weird but it is the Texas A and M wesbite.

They update a lot...like every single day so check back often!! I cannot tell you how valuable theses jobs have been for me! Plus you meet awesome people and get to live in the coolest places!