Resources for finding full-time RA work

A. sesquipedale

Hello - Does anyone know of any webpages, listservs, forum posts, or any other applicable resources for finding full-time paid RA positions in psychology. I thought we could compile a list here for people who need full-time research experience before applying to graduate school in various areas of psychology.

The one resource so far I have found is visionlist which has some RA positions listed, mainly for neuroscience and cognition studies, dealing with visual processing.

http://visionscience.com/pipermail/visionlist/2010/subject.html#3704 you have to scroll around and find the RA positions since this is not the sole purpose of the site.

Anyone else have any juicy info?

I don't know of anywhere to find this, short of searching individual universities and research centers but I would be interested if anyone does know about this!!

I have been a full-time paid RA for about 1.5 years and I plan to head to grad school next year. Just form my experience, these jobs typically go to somebody who knows somebody. If that doesn't happen, and they have to go outside of that circle, they then consider the people who have taken the initiative to either email a scientist at a lab, inquiring about if they need help. Most of the time, the scientist will be happy to have the extra help, however most of the time, you will have to start off as a volunteer. Many times, after 'proving yourself' the scientists are able to scrounge around and at least find you some money to pay you part time, however securing a full-time position, especially in this economy, is definitely a hard task. I did this, and I feel very lucky, and I think the job market has gotten more competitive within the time I started at my current job.

Best of luck, hope this helps. Long story short: start emailing people whose research you find interesting, and see if you can start as a volunteer, get your foot in the door, and see where you can go from there. Volunteering is probably better than working an irrelevant job, just for the paycheck (unless you need the $$$).

My undergrad advisor (cog sci) emailed 4 of these advertisments to all the seniors, and I was about to copy/paste them all but the deadlines are past (March 31-April 7). I'll put up new ones, if they come up...

I have been a full-time paid RA for about 1.5 years and I plan to head to grad school next year. Just form my experience, these jobs typically go to somebody who knows somebody. If that doesn't happen, and they have to go outside of that circle, they then consider the people who have taken the initiative to either email a scientist at a lab, inquiring about if they need help. Most of the time, the scientist will be happy to have the extra help, however most of the time, you will have to start off as a volunteer. Many times, after 'proving yourself' the scientists are able to scrounge around and at least find you some money to pay you part time, however securing a full-time position, especially in this economy, is definitely a hard task. I did this, and I feel very lucky, and I think the job market has gotten more competitive within the time I started at my current job.

Best of luck, hope this helps. Long story short: start emailing people whose research you find interesting, and see if you can start as a volunteer, get your foot in the door, and see where you can go from there. Volunteering is probably better than working an irrelevant job, just for the paycheck (unless you need the $$).

I do like this idea, but the volunteer thing is just too crazy when it includes moving to a new State with 0 dollars to your name (as is my case). Unless you are willing to sleep on the street at night and be reallllly smelly at the lab, though it would for sure be a great diet. So volunteering locally is definitely an option, I don't know the logistics of people moving somewhere to volunteer. What do you do? Pick up a job at Starbucks and hope the lab eventually pays you?

These are awesome! Any suggestions on where I could find listings that are specific to social psychology?

These are awesome! Any suggestions on where I could find listings that are specific to social psychology?

None that I know off-hand (I'm into cog psych), but a quick google search does bring up the student listserv for spsp. http://groups.google.com/group/spsp-announce/topics You have to sift through the entries, but I do see a few postings for full-time research assistant/ lab coordinator type jobs.

Cognitive Neuroscience Society (CNS) sends around a monthly newsletter with job postings in it. I think you can go to their website to register for the newsletter. Beyond that, I recommend finding the website of PIs you're interested to check for job postings. If the PIs don't have a website, just e-mail them about potential positions. Depending on the lab you apply to work in, who you know can help or it can just be based on your qualifications.

This is slightly different, but if you're just looking for full-time RA work during the summer, a lot of big labs (at least in developmental psych) seem to do these summer internship programs. They don't tend to pay (which is one of the reasons I never did one) but they seem like a really great experience in terms of doing substantial work, learning methods, getting a great reference, etc. It's also the chance to get yourself into one of the top labs in the country if you so desire, which would probably be useful come application time...

• 1 month later...

http://www.training.nih.gov/student/pre-irta/previewpostbac.asp

This is a pretty cool program which could lead to a very prestigious RA position. I'd say it is worth applying to if you meet the qualifications (e.g., you have to be a recent college graduate, I think after being out of school for one year you can no longer apply, if I recall).

Your name goes into a database where researchers can search for RAs when in need. They can find you based off of GPA, research match, and undergraduate institution (I think, on this last one). Your application stays in their database for one full year.