Purdue University

palitsambit

I visited Purdue a few weeks ago and should get an official offer soon. I am not sure if I will accept, it's not a great research match, but I will think about it. Everyone was so nice and the campus was beautiful! The town is tiny, that would take some serious getting used to. I'm from a good sized city and couldn't believe that I went 3 days seeing so few people! What did you guys think of it?

i've applied for MS in computer science. purdue is the only one tht's replied positively so far..since its one of my top choices i'm still in the glow of it tho :D

Looking at the on-campus housing options, it seems that grad students can only choose to live in hawkins hall..or am i mistaken ?

Since i have not yet gotten my official admit from the grad ofis, only heard from the department that they are recommending me, i can't apply for housing yet.. and the priority deadline of march 1st for housing is long past. For those who visited the town..what are my options if i choose to live off-campus..how do the rates an facilities compare? how would i go about finding and applying for these places..? being an international student, i dont have the option of visiting b4hand..

any info appreciated.

Hey Whitelily,

I dont know if this is any help, but while I was visiting Purdue, grad students advised me to avoid graduate on campus housing. They described it as a heinous experience. I am not too sure why. There was not much of a price difference in the apartments on and off campus. While I was touring the place, I saw a lot of nice apartment style housing that graduate students could afford. You should try http://www.boilerapartments.comfor more information. It works like apartments.com, except its exclusively for Purdue students. I would start there. Or you could ask your graduate coordinator to pair you with a current grad student there who could help you with things like this. I am sure with you being international, they will be more than willing to provide some assistance.

Also there is a very descriptive post in the City section of this forum on West Lafayette that might be helpful.

Hope that helped.

I'm still leaning towards the boiler makers. Havent made up my mind yet, but every time I flip those coins, Purdue seems to be heads up:)

I visited Purdue a few weeks ago and should get an official offer soon. I am not sure if I will accept, it's not a great research match, but I will think about it. Everyone was so nice and the campus was beautiful! The town is tiny, that would take some serious getting used to. I'm from a good sized city and couldn't believe that I went 3 days seeing so few people! What did you guys think of it?

haha.. i thought the same. TINY...!!! I dont know if you got this, but every ' Purduian' I met, just kept on going on and on about how great the place was and how much they loved it. Some of my high school friends went there for undegrad and they have the same raving attitude. But seriously, none of them could point the finger on what was so great about the place. I mean its FLAT??? did you get that when you visited? No hills whatsoever. No hills = no skiing :(

Dont get me wrong, I liked the school and the people in my department a lot. But the place, well it will just have to be something I will have to grow into!

or I could take up Golf.. did u see that huge a@@ golf field they had?Evidently covered in snow!!!!

crossedfingers,

that was a load of useful info, thanx..

with every post i read..going to purdue seems to make more sense..(besides the fact tht im still waiting for eight uni's to get back with their replies, so this is my lone card to play now..)

I think I would have loved Purdue for undergrad, but the idea of being in such a small town now kind of freaks me out! I definitely won't base my decision on this, but if I could choose anywhere to be it would be a bigger city, maybe not NYC status but San Francisco or Seattle or something.

Does anyone knw abt the employment potential after an MS at purdue..? ( i've been accepted to the comp. Sc. Dept.).

I realize its not a professional degree like the MEng one at cornell ( my other choice), but if i do decide to go on the job market after completing my masters..what would my prospects be..? The website does list the companies that their graduates were recruited into ..but that was the PhD's not Ms..

any inputs?

Is a 24K stipend 'liveable' for West Lafayette? I am not a spendthrift, nor am I married or have kids. But just wondering how decent the offer is. The university still wants me to pay $1300/semeter for fees and health insurance. After that and taxes (14% I think), will i be able to lead a decent laid back-need to visit the bars over the weekend-eat out once in a while-pay off my car-kinda lifestyle?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got an Acceptance from Purdue, for the Interdisciplinary Program in information security At CERIAS, for spring 2009 session.

But thay havent mentioned anything about the funding or any other thing that they are going to give me.

funding is an big issue for me, can anybody help me out about this, how to secure any funding in purdue. BTW i m from delhi, any of you form delhi.

Can i have your views about the Purdue univ, i mean should i go for it or not.

I have a choice from Purdue or CMU INI.

Thanks and regards

utsav

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

umm... is a 16 k stipend per year livable in lafayette?

I gratefully accepted since its difficult for a masters student to receive any funding and this was the only offer i got besides a tuition waiver from another school.. but now im worried!

umm... is a 16 k stipend per year livable in lafayette?

I gratefully accepted since its difficult for a masters student to receive any funding and this was the only offer i got besides a tuition waiver from another school.. but now im worried!

The grad student I stayed with lived in a pretty big 1-bedroom apartment for $650 a month and she said it was only "so much" because she found it at the last second. I think you can share a 2-bedroom for like $400 each, it's dirt cheap.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use