Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

I feel so lonely when I see everyone else applying for Humanities or Engineering. When I did a search of the forum, the last people who posted about OR were a couple of years ago. So did anyone else apply for OR? Or do OR people just like to lurk?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to be honest, I don't even know what Operations Research is.

:oops: I guess it's not really well known. In layman's terms, operations research is applying analytical and mathematical tools to make better decisions. This applies to varied fields such as finance, manufacturing, telecommunications, etc. In essence, you just try to maximize something (such as profit).

Yes, I did. But I applied in Canada, where I'm from, so I'm probably not much help to anyone here.

ORgirl, what's your academic background if you don't mind me asking?

I finished my bachelors in Singapore. After which, I did my Masters in MIT in Computation for Design and Optimization (CDO).

• 4 weeks later...

Umm, obviously you know lots about Operation Research... How different is Systems engineering? Are these two disciplines the same? I am planning to do a Systems Engineering + ORIE track @Cornell, and I'm not sure if it really is the same degree as a OR student, say, from Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I love operations research. I'm applying for a masters in industrial engineering with a specialization in OR right now. No one ever talks about it so I'm assuming it is a rather unknown field. I have no idea how to gauge my chances because I have no one to compare to, which is annoying.

Guys, JUST got admitted by Cornell, ORIE M.eng on 2/3

But honestly, I'm dying to wait for the other programs like MIT or Columbia

Does anyone here got admitted by other OR programs?

Did you apply for MS or PhD?

I applied PhD, no news yet...

Orange,

which universities did you apply? Any results so far?

I applied to IEOR PhD programs. I got rejections from Northwestern IEMS last week.

Waiting for others...

I also applied PhD program at Northwestern IEMS, and I did not get any news. Maybe on the waiting list

I also applied PhD program at Northwestern IEMS, and I did not get any news. Maybe on the waiting list

Probably your decision is still under review.

Because Northwestern sent rejections to some people on February 6.

I also applied to IEOR programs in Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, MIT etc.

No news so far, but thegradcafe archives show that Berkeley and Columbia announces some of the decisions in mid-February...

Probably your decision is still under review.

Because Northwestern sent rejections to some people on February 6.

I also applied to IEOR programs in Berkeley, Columbia, Cornell, MIT etc.

No news so far, but thegradcafe archives show that Berkeley and Columbia announces some of the decisions in mid-February...

Cool! MIT ORC's Admissions said that they would make the decisions thru mid to late feb. My columbia application has been under review for more than 3 weeks now...it's about time to find out the truth...

The interesting thing is that my admission from Cornell in MASTERS only took 3 weeks after my submission of the application, which really surprised me. I just hope all the programs can make such a fast decision...

fakeworm,

Congratulations on your Cornell acceptance.

Did you apply to other universities(MIT, Columbia) for masters, too?

Yup. I applied for MS/PHD in both MIT and BERKELEY

MS for Columbia though.

Well, now I just feel MIT is just too far away, since ORC there are really tough to get in... Are you applying for all OR programs as well? all PHD?

I applied for PhD for all universities.

I am sure it is hard to get to MIT's ORC program.

But somehow the number of PhD applicants to that program is not large.

In year 2006, 120 students applied for MIT's PhD program, and they admitted 22, which makes its acceptance rate 18%.

http://web.mit.edu/orc/www/academics/ad ... stats.html

The number of applicants for other schools are at least 200, or 300+ for some of them.

I applied/am applying to all masters programs. Either within industrial engineering or stand alone OR, and MIT's CDO...

MIT (CDO)

UW- Madison

UW- Seattle

Purdue

Penn State

Northeastern

USC

Does anyone have any feel of how competitive OR admissions are for a masters? There is virtually no information on what kind of stats you need to be competitive. MIT I know I have no chance. The other ones I have no idea how to gauge my chances. My goal is to get a single acceptance.

Stat-wise:

3.13 GPA at top public university

Math and Econ double major

Engineering internships during the summers where I did research in R&D (field wasn't really related)

3 recs. 1 from my supervisor, 1 from the Dean of Operations (In the business school), and 1 from another professor.

GRE: 800q, 480v, 4.5w

SOP probably pretty average, maybe a litle bit above.

Is Industrial Engineering/OR the kind of field where you need to put up monster stats? I think I have the best chance at Northeastern, any thoughts?

:o which schoole xiaocai? MIT? OMG!

Sorry I forgot to list the name of school, Northwestern.

I got reply from the department and they told me the first round offer is still processing and I still have chance to get offer.

Sorry for the confuse :oops:

Sorry I forgot to list the name of school, Northwestern.

I got reply from the department and they told me the first round offer is still processing and I still have chance to get offer.

Sorry for the confuse :oops:

No problem! Congrats! I mean, northwestern's PHD Program is really strong. I think I start to become sensitive about emails these days...