Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

just got MS OR admission letter as well (fedex).

congratulation to you guys!

Im still waiting for columbia. Im worried...

Is it possible cuz i live in Cali, so the mail comes later? ... :(

Is anyone still waiting??

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got rejection mail from Cornell ORIE phD today.

Also, Gatech has sent the official mail for admission/rejection today..

I did not receive it yet so I do not know whether I have been admitted or not.

I checked my Gatech application and it is still written "No decision has been made". No news from Cornell. So, I am still waiting.

I've got admission from gatech phD...I've also got admission from Columbia MSOR, but I'm leaning toward gatech..

I've got rejection mail from Cornell ORIE phD today.

Also, Gatech has sent the official mail for admission/rejection today..

I did not receive it yet so I do not know whether I have been admitted or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey hi,

Has anyone been admitted to the MS operations research program to Columbia University with financial aid? I've heard that Columbia hardly offers departmental financial aid to its masters students...Is this true?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm entering my senior year at St. Olaf College (a small liberal arts school in Minnesota) and have begun considering studying OR at the graduate level. I've yet to take the GRE and am graduating a semester early, so I suppose I'm a little bit behind schedule in terms of preparing for this process. I was wondering if anyone could look at my statistics and suggest my chances of being accepted to a good MS or PHD program (Cornell, Northwestern, Berkeley). If anyone has any other advice they would like to share I would be glad to hear it. Thanks much.

B.A. in Math and Chemistry (a fair amount of OR, Probability, and Stats coursework)

3.55 Overall (3.8 Math)

780Math/680Verbal SAT (I'd like to think GRE results will be similar)

Passage of SOA/CAS Exams P and FM

No research experience (although I have a little applied math experience under my belt)

Hello all,

This is my first post, I hope it's in the right place. I'm currently an Applied Math PhD student at the University of Maryland studying OR. I've gotten to the point where I want to start internships and think about the job I'm going to have when I graduate. Because I'm not a business school student, I'm not allowed access to the business school career center. The University's career center is geared to undergraduates and is not helpful for me (They want SAT scores? Seriously?).

Does anyone have any feedback or resources regarding OR jobs after a doctorate? What I currently have is a list of "technical" consulting firms such as Rand Corporation which seem like the obvious choice. However, I recently had an informal interview with someone from Boston Consulting Group (BCG) and they seemed to imply that they would hire somebody like me post-PhD. After talking with them, they seem to do strategic consulting (should Walmart expand into Canada or not?), nothing really technical at all. The example problems posed to me were not at all OR related but were relatively straightforward and it seemed like something that I could do.

My question is this: Are there other careers for PhD OR graduates other than the traditional "optimize UPS's truck delivery" jobs? I enjoy the work that I do now and would enjoy a career that continued its technical nature, but it's very unlikely that whatever job I take will involve a continuation of my thesis. As such, I feel that I should investigate all the jobs that I would be able to do and enjoy.

Thoughts?

PS: For those of you who are undergraduates looking to do graduate work, I'd be happy to give any perspective I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi al,

I would be applying to the OR programs for the Fall 2010. I have a keen interest in applied probability and especially stochastic process and queueing theory. I have a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from India and I am currently pursuing MS in Applied Mathematics at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. My background is as follows:

GPA

UG:6.9/10(first class)

Masters:3.33/4(it would be 3.5 by the end of this fall)

GRE

V:380

Q:790

W:4.0

TOEFL

110/120

1 intl. conference proceedings, 1 poster and 1 book chapter- for all of which i am the first author. I have a decent amount of research exp at undergraduate and graduate level but not directly related to OR. My recommendations would also be good.

here is a tentative list of universities I plan to apply to:

-Boston University, Systems Engg. PhD

-George Mason University, Systems Engg and OR

-The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, OR

-GaTech. IE

-Virginia Tech.- IE

-TAMU

-The Ohio State University

-Rutgers

I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions you could have for me. It really feels good to see people discussing OR somewhere!

I already receive admission offer from Georgia Tech and Columbia for Operations Research. (Also University of Michigan, but I probably won't choose UM).

Which one should I pick?

Congrats! You sure applied early, I have not even started my SOP.

Would you mind sharing your profile?

Hey guys, I checked my application status of Georgia Tech on the website and found a message that "Final decision has been made -- you will receive a notification letter from the department. PLEASE DO NOT TELEPHONE OR EMAIL REGARDING THIS DECISION. You must wait to receive the official decision letter." I was so anxious about this decision message because I cannot figure out what the application decision is. Is there anyone who have met this situation before? :?

PH

If the message says only one letter will be mailed to you, that means you are rejected. If the message says TWO letters will be mailed to you, that means you are admitted (what is what happened in my case).

My Optimization Course professor graduated from MIT/ORC with a PhD degree. He told me there are seven top notches in OR for graduate schools in the nation. MIT, CORNELL, NORTHWESTERN, GATECH, BERKELEY, STANFORD, COLUMBIA. He also mentioned that MIT/CORNELL definitely provides the best in the nation.

Anyway, this is just what he thoughts...I really can't tell since I haven't been either of these places...

What about UNC-Chapel Hill?? They seem to be very selective in OR applications too!

• 3 months later...

Anyone got into MIT CDO? I didn't get in. I guess I didn't do enough research in this area, even though I thought I am a very strong applicant.

I visited them last November, they told me that they are taking around 10 students this year. Those of you who got in, do you mind sharing your profile? I am wondering how good you have to be to get in!