Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

I applied for PhD for all universities.

I am sure it is hard to get to MIT's ORC program.

But somehow the number of PhD applicants to that program is not large.

In year 2006, 120 students applied for MIT's PhD program, and they admitted 22, which makes its acceptance rate 18%.

http://web.mit.edu/orc/www/academics/ad ... stats.html

The number of applicants for other schools are at least 200, or 300+ for some of them.

Yup, I did saw those statistics on the website, but the truth is when I looked at their PHD student's resume, I almost passed out...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied/am applying to all masters programs. Either within industrial engineering or stand alone OR, and MIT's CDO...

MIT (CDO)

UW- Madison

UW- Seattle

Purdue

Penn State

Northeastern

USC

Does anyone have any feel of how competitive OR admissions are for a masters? There is virtually no information on what kind of stats you need to be competitive. MIT I know I have no chance. The other ones I have no idea how to gauge my chances. My goal is to get a single acceptance.

Stat-wise:

3.13 GPA at top public university

Math and Econ double major

Engineering internships during the summers where I did research in R&D (field wasn't really related)

3 recs. 1 from my supervisor, 1 from the Dean of Operations (In the business school), and 1 from another professor.

GRE: 800q, 480v, 4.5w

SOP probably pretty average, maybe a litle bit above.

Is Industrial Engineering/OR the kind of field where you need to put up monster stats? I think I have the best chance at Northeastern, any thoughts?

IE's human factor side does need a lot of stats. This year, OR's admissions for masters&phd is just as hard as getting into other programs because of recession at this time.

:cry: First decison I heard and it is a rejection from USC Marshall School PhD program (I applied for OR field).

Tough time :cry:

That is sad. It did not apply USC Business School. I am sure that the business schools are more competive thanIEOR programs that are located in engineering schools. The only B-school that I applied is UCLA Anderson DOTM program. The rest are IEOR programs in engineering. What about you how many B-school vs engineering?

That is sad. It did not apply USC Business School. I am sure that the business schools are more competive thanIEOR programs that are located in engineering schools. The only B-school that I applied is UCLA Anderson DOTM program. The rest are IEOR programs in engineering. What about you how many B-school vs engineering?

UCLA anderson is on my list, plus MIT, CMU. Rest of my applications are engineering.

OMG! :o It is impossible to get through MIT and CMU, right?

I got reply from the professor I kept contacting from USC. She told me that the reason I got rejection is I don't have a strong reference letter.

It seems that recommendation letters are very important, even more important than research background. :shock:

I have 1 journal paper, 3 conference papers and 2 presentations in INFORMS annual meetings.

I got reply from the professor I kept contacting from USC. She told me that the reason I got rejection is I don't have a strong reference letter.

It seems that recommendation letters are very important, even more important than research background. :shock:

I have 1 journal paper, 3 conference papers and 2 presentations in INFORMS annual meetings.

Your research experience is so amazing....

Are you an undergraduate student ?...

strong candidate though. Well, I am wondering what "don't have a strong reference letter" means? The referees don't have a strong impact in this OR field or the contents are not positive enough?

strong candidate though. Well, I am wondering what "don't have a strong reference letter" means? The referees don't have a strong impact in this OR field or the contents are not positive enough?

This is the exact word from that professor. Maybe you need to have a recommender with strong background, such as a research leader in the field you applied. If you can get a letter from the dean of Sloan School, definitely you will get in! :lol:

Having such strong research credentials right out of a masters degree is pretty impressive. I'm surprised they would give so much weight to referees even after that. Life is so much about networking. Sigh. Good luck with all your other applications though.

I've also applied for MS in a few OR programs. Still waiting out for the results.

Regards,

Rishabh

Has anyone got any news from Cornell, Columbia or Purdue?

I did got the admission of M.ENG from Cornell last week. I'm not sure how they are actually giving out the decisions though.

Columbia's decisions usually takes 3-5 weeks and purdue's IE department just started review according to one of my Professors.

Hope this helps.

This is the exact word from that professor. Maybe you need to have a recommender with strong background, such as a research leader in the field you applied. If you can get a letter from the dean of Sloan School, definitely you will get in! :lol:

Quite crucial but true.

Strong background! Sad but true, you are rite...to get into top programs like MIT or Stanford, recommendation letters means everything. ...

But you'll get great offers, otherwise the admissions is crazy... Good Luck!

I did got the admission of M.ENG from Cornell last week. I'm not sure how they are actually giving out the decisions though.

Columbia's decisions usually takes 3-5 weeks and purdue's IE department just started review according to one of my Professors.

Hope this helps.

You got admission of Master program from Cornell, right?

Did you hear anything about PhD program?

Hope this helps.

good for you!

I applied to PhD program of OR in Cornell and other 6 school. I know Columbia has started reviewing my application 3 weeks ago.

PS, one of my friends majored in IE got PhD admission of Northwestern and was invited to campus visit next month...so jealous at him..