Operations Research? Anyone?

orgirl

let's make a guess. There will be a bunch of admissions and denials out from MIT ORC and Columbia tomorrow afternoon. Just a guess. Don't be too serious, guys.

:) Are you basing your guess/theory on the fact that tomorrow is Friday 13th and they will freak us out on this day :)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good for you!

I applied to PhD program of OR in Cornell and other 6 school. I know Columbia has started reviewing my application 3 weeks ago.

PS, one of my friends majored in IE got PhD admission of Northwestern and was invited to campus visit next month...so jealous at him..

Did your friend posted his result here?

I saw 2 guys got offer from Northwestern last week~~

I feel so scared now~ :o I hope I can get into Northwestern...

Yes, he did post it.

Does Northwestern review the application one by one, not all at a time?

In my opinion, Northwestern sent most of the acceptance letters and is holding some students on waitlist.

Did you apply to Northwestern and have not heard?

In my opinion, Northwestern sent most of the acceptance letters and is holding some students on waitlist.

Did you apply to Northwestern and have not heard?

Yes I applied to it.

They sent out an email this week, saying they are still making decisions right now and the final result will be released in one or two weeks.

I made a phone call to them and was told there is no waiting list...However, I believe the first round of offer has almost been done.

Yes I applied to it.

They sent out an email this week, saying they are still making decisions right now and the final result will be released in one or two weeks.

I made a phone call to them and was told there is no waiting list...However, I believe the first round of offer has almost been done.

There are two possibilities. One, they are lying. They do have a waiting list. Two, they are not done with reviewing all the application folders.

I know someone with one first-authored TIER 1 OR journal paper was turned down by northwestern last week. Meanwhile, another guy with a lower GPA and no publication is still under their consideration. The only thing the second guy exceeds the first one is GRE Verbal, but I don't believe that plays an important role, even a role, in the applications.

Do all of you guys here have a master degree and publications?

I am an undergrad, no publication but have some research experience.

Based on what I know about Northwestern, I don't think GRE V part plays an important role. Maybe a strong recommendation letter and high GPA are more important.

ps, my GPA is 3.86, I don't now whether it is enough for PhD.

I called the IEMS@Northwestern last week and got the following informations. They received more than 250 applicaitons this year and will only accept no more that 15 of them. So they did the initial review first and reject most of them. That's why a lot of guys got rejections a few weeks ago. Afte that, they did the detailed review for domestic students first, and gave the decision. That's why some guys got offer last week. What left is the international students, and they are still under reviewing. I believe that there are no waiting list. Anyway, the results will be given next week. Good luck to everyone and myself.

I called the IEMS@Northwestern last week and got the following informations. They received more than 250 applicaitons this year and will only accept no more that 15 of them. So they did the initial review first and reject most of them. That's why a lot of guys got rejections a few weeks ago. Afte that, they did the detailed review for domestic students first, and gave the decision. That's why some guys got offer last week. What left is the international students, and they are still under reviewing. I believe that there are no waiting list. Anyway, the results will be given next week. Good luck to everyone and myself.

Thank you for your share.

:wink:

Thank you for sharing. Good luck to myself and everyone.

Are there any ones who have news from IEOR at Columbia?

I saw someone has been admitted, but I still have no news.

Anxious!

I saw the post, too. And I have not heard; they started reviewing mine 4 weeks ago.

Do any of you have information about what is going on in Columbia? Did they send most of initial acceptances?

Xanda Yao?!...Is that u?...

R u graduating this May too? Wow...

NO if i were Xanda Yao I would not have chosen Xander as a username I would have chosen Xanda Yao or Xanda !! I know there are many asians in OR departments but don't forget that there are other people too.... sorry if I am just a european....So no i'm not Xianda truc.

Hello guys.

I am one of IE/OR applicants for 2009 fall term.

I applied for 10 IE/OR schools and got some results.

Wish this information will be helpful for you.

[Admissions]

MS, Texas A&M by email

[Rejection]

MS, Virginia Tech

MS/Ph.D., Georgia Tech

Ph.D, U of Michigan

Ph.D., Texas A&M

[Pending]

MS, U of Michigan

MS/Ph.D, Columbia

MS/Ph.D, Cornell

MS/Ph.D, Stanford

MS/Ph.D, Penn State

MS/Ph.D, Berkeley

[Application incomplete]

MS/Ph.D., U of Florida;

I gave it up. My professor could not find the recommendation request email. OMG :x