Binghamton, NY

fj20

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to rent my 4 bdrm Victorian, on the city's west side. It's in a desirable, student-friendly neighborhood. One block from OCC bus. Reply if interested -- details will be provided.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I am an International student. I received an admit from SUNY- Binghamton for M.A in English Literature.

Can anyone please guide me on how good the university is and should I accept the offer? Also what are the part time job opportunities like at Binghamton, NY.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I was successfully admitted at SUNY as a phD student for this fall.  I am an international student so I am glad to hear any comment, recommendation for move there. I think that I will arrive by mid-August, but I don't know where to find a suitable place for living, my budget is really tight.   Thanks.

Hello, I was successfully admitted at SUNY as a phD student for this fall.  I am an international student so I am glad to hear any comment, recommendation for move there. I think that I will arrive by mid-August, but I don't know where to find a suitable place for living, my budget is really tight.   Thanks.

Hi! I got my B.S from Bing so i know a little bit about the area. Johnson City is a pretty inexpensive area. Not as nice, but you could probably get something for about $500 a month. You may end up having a roommate though. If you don't drive, you are defintely going to want to make sure you are close to a bus stop. Binghamton's public transportation is okay and consists mostly of buses. If you have a car, I highly recommend bringing it. Thankfully, the area is pretty inexpensive, so grocery shopping and even eating out is pretty cheap. You'll find a lot of really nice apartment downtown, but many of them are SUPER expensive because they are "luxury student housing" complexes. There is also a facebook group where students share open apartments and recommend certain landlords here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/295412570554385/?fref=nf (I think that link should work). I hope this helps. Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Hey! I'm starting at Binghamton's clinical psych program in the fall. At the moment the local craigslist housing page is dominated by the aforementioned luxury student housing places. I think I'd like to have a roommate or two (and stay as far from the undergrads as reasonably possible, ha!) - let me know if anyone wants to discuss!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as I will be a grad student starting in the Fall. Looking for an apartment with a lease that would start August, or July at the earliest. 

It has been tough...I really want to live alone (so a 1 bedroom). My budget is $800 a month including utilities and everything. Anyone have any leads? Haha. :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 10:04 PM, Sherrinford said:

Bumping this thread as I will be a grad student starting in the Fall. Looking for an apartment with a lease that would start August, or July at the earliest. 

It has been tough...I really want to live alone (so a 1 bedroom). My budget is $800 a month including utilities and everything. Anyone have any leads? Haha. :(

Check Hayes Student Living. I currently live here and it's quite good. I am a junior but I always a prefer a quiet place. My building is predominantly Korean (people call it the Korean tower) and most importantly, Greek life-free. A one-bedroom is $96xx this year. Closely to both campus and bus station. Pretty convenient and very nice management. You can probably move in in July as many tenants are moving out. 

On 4/17/2015 at 0:41 PM, kimmibeans said:

Hi! I got my B.S from Bing so i know a little bit about the area. Johnson City is a pretty inexpensive area. Not as nice, but you could probably get something for about $500 a month. You may end up having a roommate though. If you don't drive, you are defintely going to want to make sure you are close to a bus stop. Binghamton's public transportation is okay and consists mostly of buses. If you have a car, I highly recommend bringing it. Thankfully, the area is pretty inexpensive, so grocery shopping and even eating out is pretty cheap. You'll find a lot of really nice apartment downtown, but many of them are SUPER expensive because they are "luxury student housing" complexes. There is also a facebook group where students share open apartments and recommend certain landlords here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/295412570554385/?fref=nf (I think that link should work). I hope this helps. Good luck!

I heard from some  friends that Johnson City is becoming seedier. The rent is cheap but many of the houses are in decrepit condition. Better stay away from the riverside as the flooding can get very serious. Living in Binghamton is cheap but not very fun. There is only one Wegmans, two Walmarts (one in Vestal) and some small Asian supermarkets. If you need to do shopping, the always-crowded is Wegmans is perhaps the only choice. Eating out is affordable but the food is just so-so. Most people go to chain stores. This is certainly a good place to study, but not to stay.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, lelepat said:

I heard from some  friends that Johnson City is becoming seedier. The rent is cheap but many of the houses are in decrepit condition. Better stay away from the riverside as the flooding can get very serious. Living in Binghamton is cheap but not very fun. There is only one Wegmans, two Walmarts (one in Vestal) and some small Asian supermarkets. If you need to do shopping, the always-crowded is Wegmans is perhaps the only choice. Eating out is affordable but the food is just so-so. Most people go to chain stores. This is certainly a good place to study, but not to stay.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. 

That's disappointing about JC, but not very surprising. I agree that there's not much to do in Bing. There are a couple of cool local museums, and some art galleries downtown, but it's pretty quiet overall. We're about an hour away from Syracuse though if you ever feel like you need to escape.

• 2 years later...

Hello, looking for updated information (Fall 2020) about livability, affordability, etc. Admitted to the doctoral program at BU. I am an older student, second career sort of thing, and looking for something not overtly student-oriented. Also: how possible is it to live just over the PA line and commute? Will they charge me out of state tuition (over and above my funding) if I live over the state line? 

• 2 weeks later...