Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Kumari

Chapel Hill, NC

133 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, moon_cat said:

Thank you very much. That's good to know. I'll contact more places and see how pricing is going to be. This town does seem to have high rental prices.

It's one of the few places in the country that went pretty unaffected by last decade's housing crash.  University + Liberal + Quality of Life + Limited space for growth = overpriced housing.  That said, it's only really expensive in comparison to the rest of NC and other cheap-to-live states.

Edited by 3dender

Hi

I notice no one talks about staying in school grad housing Baity hill grad/family housing. 

Most of you are looking at private ones out of school.

Are there any reasons why? 

I am coming with my spouse and two young children in August 2017 - flying in from South East Asia.

Does anybody have recommendations for apartment complexes in the Carrboro area? I'm a bit flexible with price. I'd prefer to have washer in the unit, and other amenities are nice, but I mostly want to avoid insect problems. 

22 hours ago, Ggsk said:

Hi

I notice no one talks about staying in school grad housing Baity hill grad/family housing. 

Most of you are looking at private ones out of school.

Are there any reasons why? 

I am coming with my spouse and two young children in August 2017 - flying in from South East Asia.

I think the Grad housing is a fine option, though I don't know anyone who has stayed there and I'm not sure on details such as cost.  There have always been lots of international students going that route.  The main downside is that the location, basically right next to the hospital, is not the greatest in terms of amenities and things to do.  That said, Chapel Hill is a small town and you'll only be a 10-minute car ride from just about anything, as well as a 5-minute walk from several bus routes.

2 hours ago, sociologicals said:

Does anybody have recommendations for apartment complexes in the Carrboro area? I'm a bit flexible with price. I'd prefer to have washer in the unit, and other amenities are nice, but I mostly want to avoid insect problems. 

My first post on the last page addresses this, in response to thetemp.  Good luck on bugs, as ants and roaches are all over the place - even some new construction ends up having problems, but nothing that a little bait/boric acid can't fix.

23 hours ago, 3dender said:

Good luck on bugs, as ants and roaches are all over the place - even some new construction ends up having problems, but nothing that a little bait/boric acid can't fix.

So let's talk about bugs. How big of an issue are they? Is it mostly just ants and roaches? And what might one expect to spend over a year to deal with them? Other than cost this isn't a concern of mine, but my wife on the other hand...

7 hours ago, thetemp said:

So let's talk about bugs. How big of an issue are they? Is it mostly just ants and roaches? And what might one expect to spend over a year to deal with them? Other than cost this isn't a concern of mine, but my wife on the other hand...

I second this question. Also, does not living on the ground floor minimize/erase this problem or not necessarily? Ants I can deal with, but I'd be very happy if I could avoid roaches during my time in North Carolina.

It is mostly ants/roaches, along with some small house spiders.  Wolf spiders don't usually get inside but they're around outside.  We have an old house (1961) with plenty of cracks, and the ants can get annoying at times (it's difficult to notice a pattern).  We also haven't gone out of our way to get traditional poison traps just because the idea sort of bothers us. . . but we're getting to that point.  We've been trying homemade remedies with sporadic success.  But you wouldn't need to spend more than $20-30/yr. for such easily available traps.

The roaches are even less predictable.  Do they start coming inside when it rains a lot to get dry? Or are they more active when it's dry and they need to find water?  Who knows.  We get mini-outbreaks every few months (by which I mean we see a roach maybe 4-5 times in one week), at which point we put out fresh boric acid pellets and they go away again.  The Harris Famous Roach Tablets have worked for us -- a box costs $5 and we've had the same one for years.

As for ground v. upper floor, that could very well be a factor that I don't have much experience with.  I've always lived on a ground floor while in NC.  I'm with you on hating roaches.  Haven't gotten used to them yet, though I'm less ashamed of them since most people aroujnd here, even with newer constructions, have to deal with them.  It's helpful to understand that here they're just endemic, and not necessarily a sign of filth or messiness.

4 hours ago, 3dender said:

It is mostly ants/roaches, along with some small house spiders.  Wolf spiders don't usually get inside but they're around outside.  We have an old house (1961) with plenty of cracks, and the ants can get annoying at times (it's difficult to notice a pattern).  We also haven't gone out of our way to get traditional poison traps just because the idea sort of bothers us. . . but we're getting to that point.  We've been trying homemade remedies with sporadic success.  But you wouldn't need to spend more than $20-30/yr. for such easily available traps.

The roaches are even less predictable.  Do they start coming inside when it rains a lot to get dry? Or are they more active when it's dry and they need to find water?  Who knows.  We get mini-outbreaks every few months (by which I mean we see a roach maybe 4-5 times in one week), at which point we put out fresh boric acid pellets and they go away again.  The Harris Famous Roach Tablets have worked for us -- a box costs $5 and we've had the same one for years.

As for ground v. upper floor, that could very well be a factor that I don't have much experience with.  I've always lived on a ground floor while in NC.  I'm with you on hating roaches.  Haven't gotten used to them yet, though I'm less ashamed of them since most people aroujnd here, even with newer constructions, have to deal with them.  It's helpful to understand that here they're just endemic, and not necessarily a sign of filth or messiness.

Thanks! Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I'm glad it's manageable.