Harvard MPA/ID or Princeton WWS MPA?

Which program should I choose, Harvard MPA/ID or WWS MPA? I am very fortunate to have full funding plus stipend for both programs, so money is not an issue.

I am interested in a very challenging and competitive program. I already have an MBA, so I want to study another master’s degree that will add significant value to my resume. So which program is better? I am siding with the MPA/ID because of the heavy, PhD level quant and economics courses, but I also know that the WWS is a competitive program. I am from a developing country, so I am sure that the Harvard name will be better for me if I come back to work around here. How about in the U.S.? Which program has a better reputation and job placements?

Thanks for your help!!

• 1 month later...

Which program should I choose, Harvard MPA/ID or WWS MPA? I am very fortunate to have full funding plus stipend for both programs, so money is not an issue.

I am interested in a very challenging and competitive program. I already have an MBA, so I want to study another master’s degree that will add significant value to my resume. So which program is better? I am siding with the MPA/ID because of the heavy, PhD level quant and economics courses, but I also know that the WWS is a competitive program. I am from a developing country, so I am sure that the Harvard name will be better for me if I come back to work around here. How about in the U.S.? Which program has a better reputation and job placements?

Thanks for your help!!

So what did you decide? Harvard or Princeton?

• 2 years later...

In the same position myself. WWS offering full funding, and the harvard financial aid decision hasn't arrrived yet. Very interested to know what you decided, and now that you must have passed out - what do you feel about your choice? Really grateful for a reply, since I need to make up my mind in the next fortnight or so!

Well, the funding has now arrived, so it still remains worth discussing for me! Both HKS MPAID and WWS are offering full funding. I have a fair idea of the strengths and weaknesses of both, but interested to learn what others on this forum have to say, so as to get more information.  So, till this point it seems: WWS has a better, more intimate learning environment, great career services while HKS offers the opportunity to meet divrse people and take courses in different schools and disciplines. Any thoughts?

Well, the funding has now arrived, so it still remains worth discussing for me! Both HKS MPAID and WWS are offering full funding. I have a fair idea of the strengths and weaknesses of both, but interested to learn what others on this forum have to say, so as to get more information.  So, till this point it seems: WWS has a better, more intimate learning environment, great career services while HKS offers the opportunity to meet divrse people and take courses in different schools and disciplines. Any thoughts?

Please go to WWS!!!!

Hello Pinaman, thanks for replying. Could you also let me know your reasons for why one would be better than the other?

Not necessarily better. Its what I would have done if I were in your situation.

I feel WWS has a better attitude towards public service than HKS. I mean just consider their reason for giving full funding. In your applications, which school ever cited that as a reason?

Again, in the absence of a B-school and L-school, WWS students are the kings on the hill. No ego bruising and stuff like that. I believe they get the necessary attention and respect and do not play second fiddle to any school or program.

You may wish to speak to piquant777 or fenderpete, current students of WWS.

Edited by Pinaman

Thanks Pinaman - yes, agree with you on the pros. I have felt the same myself, after having seen the attitudes to treating new admits, how helpful (and happy) current WWS students are, and the overall reputation of the school on this forum. Most people on this forum seem to feel very strongly against HKS for providing limited funding to people who are aiming for public policy/development oriented careers. Which school to choose also ought to be a personal decision, based on what one wants to do, and so far, I am veering towards WWS. Being an international student, the harvard brand name does have instant recognition and networks, so mulling over this a little bit.. particularly because in both cases funding doesn't seem to be a constraint.

Also having applied from abroad, I understand the draw of the Harvard name and the appeal of the HKS program. I think you can't go wrong with either decision, and agree with other posters that it kind of depends on what sort of career path you might want to pursue. WWS is not the best place for those who want to go into the private sector after graduation, for example (the stipend is explicitly to allow graduates to pursue public service). If you are dedicated to public service however, you will meet a lot of like-minded students, faculty and administrators at WWS that will help you immensely in your career.

The final thing I will say is just a financial note. Did HKS provide you with a full scholarship and stipend? Because living expenses can be quite expensive. I got a full scholarship from a couple other schools I was considering, but Princeton's $20+k stipend on top of full tuition is hard to beat. You are actually earning money while getting a Masters, which is pretty incredible. If you had to pay for living expenses in Boston (one of the most expensive housing markets in the country) out of pocket, you will still be in some $30-50k of debt after two years. Not to mention summer funding, which HKS may not guarantee for internships (but WWS does, including extra money for language study). For some, especially from developing countries or those wanting to go into not-so-high paying government/NGO work, that's a lot of money to sacrifice even with a full tuition scholarship.

Hope this helps! :) And go to the welcome weekends if you can!

Thanks Pinaman - yes, agree with you on the pros. I have felt the same myself, after having seen the attitudes to treating new admits, how helpful (and happy) current WWS students are, and the overall reputation of the school on this forum. Most people on this forum seem to feel very strongly against HKS for providing limited funding to people who are aiming for public policy/development oriented careers. Which school to choose also ought to be a personal decision, based on what one wants to do, and so far, I am veering towards WWS. Being an international student, the harvard brand name does have instant recognition and networks, so mulling over this a little bit.. particularly because in both cases funding doesn't seem to be a constraint.

• 1 year later...

Congratulations on getting the funding and being accepted in the program (I presume). Couple of you have mentioned the MPA/ID program offered by Princeton University. Can any of you provide the link to their webpage? I can not find the program, the only option is MPA? Also, is it worth it to combine the program with another program (JD/ MPH)? I would be curious if any of you has considered applying for join degrees? if, so what was the motivation? thank you.

A last question, my background is in Management & Policy Analysis in Health (MSc) and recently was a visiting scholar to the Epidemiology program offered by the Cambridge University, UK. I currently work for a multilateral development organization where I coordinate the impact evaluation portfolio. In my unit the PhD in economics are highly valued and I wondered whether the MPA/ ID program will make any difference for me given my interest to be involved in impact evaluations on the ground.

Princeton doesn't offer an MPA/ID program. If you participate in the MPA or MPP program at Princeton, you can choose International Development as your field of study (the Wilson School has four fields of study, and each student specializes in one field), but they don't have a specific MPA/ID degree offering.  Harvard does have an MPA/ID program that is separate from their MPA and MPP programs, and it is supposed to be more quantitatively demanding than HKS' other programs. 

Also, at Princeton the only officially offered joint degree is a JD/MPA.  However, if you can make a strong case for it, they do sometimes let people design their own joint degrees. I read on the WWS website about a student admitted last year who designed her own joint MPA/MBA with WWS and Yale School of Management.   Harvard offers a wider variety of joint degree options because, unlike Princeton, Harvard has lots of other professional schools (law, medicine, business, etc)

Edited by Gov2School

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2014 at 9:01 PM, Gov2School said:

Princeton doesn't offer an MPA/ID program. If you participate in the MPA or MPP program at Princeton, you can choose International Development as your field of study (the Wilson School has four fields of study, and each student specializes in one field), but they don't have a specific MPA/ID degree offering.  Harvard does have an MPA/ID program that is separate from their MPA and MPP programs, and it is supposed to be more quantitatively demanding than HKS' other programs. 

Also, at Princeton the only officially offered joint degree is a JD/MPA.  However, if you can make a strong case for it, they do sometimes let people design their own joint degrees. I read on the WWS website about a student admitted last year who designed her own joint MPA/MBA with WWS and Yale School of Management.   Harvard offers a wider variety of joint degree options because, unlike Princeton, Harvard has lots of other professional schools (law, medicine, business, etc)

Thanks a bunch! My apologies for the delayed reply