UCLA

debsta

Comparative Politics. And I am international so I am not familiar with LA. So I would like to get some sort of university housing but still debating which one.

I have heard good things about Weyburn--that is where I will try to live.

Hello,

I'm going in for history. Is anyone looking for apt. mates? I'm basically looking for my own room and my share of rent around $650-725. Westwood is too expensive for this so I'm looking into Palms or Santa Monica. Is anyone interested in living in the university Keystone/Mentone apts and doesn't have an apt. mate yet?

I was waiting for someone else to start this thread, for some silly reason.

History here as well. And also planning to look for off-campus housing, though not in the market for a roommate since my SO is moving with me. FWIW, the History graduate advisor recommended Weyburn to me (before I explained about the SO), and students I met who've lived there seemed to like it pretty well. I also talked to two different grad students who'd met their long-term partners/fiances at resident social events there; interpret that anecdotal data as you like. :P

xorge84, what field of history? Late imperial China, for my part.

Well Weyburn looks awesome, and the location is great. I try to gather more information. I would not mind commuting if that was the only difference between that and the other appartments(well on exchange for cheapness). If however there is a social life aspect difference I might choose WT. It is good to have fellow grad students around. cool.gif Thanks for the info!

Well Weyburn looks awesome, and the location is great. I try to gather more information. I would not mind commuting if that was the only difference between that and the other appartments(well on exchange for cheapness). If however there is a social life aspect difference I might choose WT. It is good to have fellow grad students around. cool.gif Thanks for the info!

I agree; it would be nice to have a built in community to start off with. I really don't know many people in LA so this would be neat. Plus, there is parking available: significant plus in Westwood. Being in walking distance to campus will also give me the opportunity to take advantage of the campus resources, and to walk to work--given that LA is a driving city (or so I'm told) it would be nice to have some walking time, especially since the weather is pretty reliably pleasant. I can definitely see myself enjoying taking daily strolls up the hill to campus instead of battling traffic to get there.

Glad to see a good number of history people here. I'm going in for early medieval Iberia.

Weyburn Terrace is probably the best deal if you really want to live in Westwood. I've heard good things about the construction being relatively new, but I've also heard bad things about the small and poorly constructed buildings (relative to the rent). I got the impression that most grad students start out at Weyburn Terrace, but after they get to know the city find better places to live. ~$1,050 a month for a private room is a good deal for Westwood, except that a parking spot is extra and can be a little expensive.

I want a max rent of ~$725 for a private room, so I'm looking into Palms, Brentwood and Santa Monica. I hear that many UCLA grad students live in Palms (aside from the Keystone/Mentone apts.) and that the bus ride is about 25 minutes. The good thing is that UCLA subsidizes bus passes for the Big Blue Bus and Culver City bus systems at around $20 for unlimited rides for a each quarter. If you live along these bus routes (basically Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monice/Brentwood and Venice Blvd, Palms Blvd in Palms) commuting should not be a big hassle. The great thing is that the Barry and Keystone/Mentone apts. also have a direct shuttle to campus.

I've found the UCLA Community Housing website (www.cho.ucla.edu) helpful for looking for apt. mates and posting "room mate available" ads.

I'll be entering the CS PhD program this fall, and I'm pretty excited! Moving in from the east coast, though, does seem pretty daunting. I'm currently trying to figure out housing. I was offered Weyburn, but I don't think I'll take it. As nice as Westwood is, it would be hard for me to justify the price. I also wouldn't be able to have a car, which I feel might get a bit old after a while. I think that I'll instead try to find a place in Palms. Getting to campus won't be too hard by bus, and I'll be able to bike when it's nice out. At the same time, I'd be able to afford a car, so I'd have one for the times I'd need it.

One thing I'm wondering is: do a lot of first-year students end up going this route? I don't want to be out of the loop, so to speak.

I'll be entering for a Comparative Literature PhD. I think I'm probably doing Weyburn for the first year. It's expensive but seems nice and coming back to CA from the east coast, it'll be nice to have some time to get my bearings.

Nice! Welcome, neighbor. :) I'll be living in Weyburn too. Where are you coming from on the East? I am also a native Californian living on the East Coast for the past 5 years.

I'll be starting a PhD in English literature. What is your subfield in comparative literature? With whom do you think to work? I'll see you around the humanities building, I suspect--I have a lot of cross over in the comparative literature department and I'm hoping to work in particular with Gil Hochberg and Ali Behdad.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use