Operations Research / Industrial Engineering Fall 2011

finallywon

anyone knows how competitive the MSandE program at Stanford is for people with non-engineering background? I really like the program, but am unsure how realistic my chances are given that I did not major in engineering. the admission states on the website did not specify what sort of background admitted students have. i would expect most, if not all, to be engineers

here are my stats:

GRE: Q800/V650/A5

GPA: 3.9 from an ivy, major in Economics

Maths background: calculus 1-3, probability, linear algebra, econometrics

Research: economics honors thesis

LOR: 2 economists with PHDs from Stanford and UChicago

Since the MS&E program is relative large (300+ students), I am pretty sure that there are a few if not many people within the program that came from a non-engineering major. That said, it is safe to assume that these individuals have a strong math background. From the program's requirements, "students must have had or must take the following (or equivalent) courses before the M.S. degree is conferred: Mathematics 41, 42, 51 (one full year of college-level calculus), CS 106A (one quarter of computer programming), and an additional 15 units (one year) of engineering, mathematical sciences, or natural sciences." You seem to have the math background and a great GRE quantitative score and so I don't think you need to worry much about the non-engineering background. Based on the statistics found here, you have a good shot. I applied for the PhD program so good luck to the both of us!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear back from any program? I apply to MIT ORC, Stanford MS&E, Princeton ORFE, Northwestern IEMS, Michigan IE and Columbia ORIE. Do OR programs always interview shortlisted applicants before offering official admission.

School: good (but unknown in OR)

Major: Math

Major GPA ~4.0 Cumulative: ~3.75 (almost failed several freshman humanities courses).

GRE: 800Q/600V/4.0AW

Math courses (15 courses): Measure Theory, Probability Theory (x2), Stochastic Processes, Ergodic Theory, Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations, Functional Analysis, Game Theory + the pure math curriculum in analysis, algebra and number theory.

Stat courses (5 courses): Monte Carlo Methods, Computational Stat, Bayesian Inference + the standard curriculum.

CS courses (6 courses): Computability & Complexity Theory, Algorithm, Machine Learning + several programming courses.

Econ courses (7 courses): the standard curriculum

Research & experience: honor thesis in math, several applied math/math REUs, coding monkey for HF (2 months), teaching assistant (2+ years).

Publications: 2 journal publications in probability (co-authored) + several working papers/preprints in stochastic optimization and control + several conference talks/posters (these arent as important in math as in CS or engineering)

LOR (and their alma maters): 3 math professors/research advisors (Princeton/Stanford/Berkeley). They are all very supportive and familiar with my research.

SOP: mostly about my research experience/interest (85%). I should have tailored it toward each specific department more.

Research interest: applied probability, stochastic processes, stochastic optimization, control theory and differential games.

Edited by NewNewb

Anyone hear back from any program? I apply to MIT ORC, Stanford MS&E, Princeton ORFE, Northwestern IEMS, Michigan IE and Columbia ORIE. Do OR programs always interview shortlisted applicants before offering official admission.

School: good (but unknown in OR)

Major: Math

Major GPA ~4.0 Cumulative: ~3.75 (almost failed several freshman humanities courses).

GRE: 800Q/600V/4.0AW

Math courses (15 courses): Measure Theory, Probability Theory (x2), Stochastic Processes, Ergodic Theory, Dynamical Systems, Differential Equations, Functional Analysis, Game Theory + the pure math curriculum in analysis, algebra and number theory.

Stat courses (5 courses): Monte Carlo Methods, Computational Stat, Bayesian Inference + the standard curriculum.

CS courses (6 courses): Computability & Complexity Theory, Algorithm, Machine Learning + several programming courses.

Econ courses (7 courses): the standard curriculum

Research & experience: honor thesis in math, several applied math/math REUs, coding monkey for HF (2 months), teaching assistant (2+ years).

Publications: 2 journal publications in probability (co-authored) + several working papers/preprints in stochastic optimization and control + several conference talks/posters (these arent as important in math as in CS or engineering)

LOR (and their alma maters): 3 math professors/research advisors (Princeton/Stanford/Berkeley). They are all very supportive and familiar with my research.

SOP: mostly about my research experience/interest (85%). I should have tailored it toward each specific department more.

Research interest: applied probability, stochastic processes, stochastic optimization, control theory and differential games.

Got this emal form Columbia's IEOR department today:

" Dear IEOR PhD Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia University’s PhD program. Please note that applicants will be contacted by the IEOR Department with an admissions decision or a request for more information by the third week of February.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Best,

IEOR Department"

Thought I'd join. PhD applications sent to:

Northwestern

Michigan

MIT

Berkeley

Texas A&M

Texas at Austin

Penn State

My profile:

GRE: 590V, 800Q, 4.5AW

GPA: 3.96 BSIE, decent IE program but by no means top 10.

1 REU, no papers, no presentations, applied for NSF GRFP

Anyone going to the PSU open house?

Edited by IEOR_ALB

Got this emal form Columbia's IEOR department today:

" Dear IEOR PhD Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in Columbia University’s PhD program. Please note that applicants will be contacted by the IEOR Department with an admissions decision or a request for more information by the third week of February.

We appreciate your patience in this matter.

Best,

IEOR Department"

I got the same email from Columbia and something along those lines from MIT last week as well.

It's in mid-February. They sent me an invite about it (free airfare!).

I'm planning an unrelated trip to the US in late March, thought I'd try to squeeze in a couple of University visits, but mid-February, no way to make it.

I got the same email from Columbia and something along those lines from MIT last week as well.

Ditto from Georgia Tech.

I don't know if I really appreciate those emails much. They made me jump in my chair, almost swallow my toungue, for nothing.

Edited by OR_Dan

OMG someone posted an admit in the results page for Columbia's IEOR PHD program yesterday.

Dear friend, if you happen by, please leave your whole story here, and tell us how you were contacted so early and your stats if you can.

I'm planning an unrelated trip to the US in late March, thought I'd try to squeeze in a couple of University visits, but mid-February, no way to make it.

Hello OR_Dan,

How beneficial is it to make such University visits?

Hey, you're right, we might as well get started. I'm applying to a PhD in OR at the following schools (I think):

GA Tech

MIT

NCSU

Penn State

Columbia

Berkeley

Quite frankly any of those would make me really happy. I'll be taking the GRE in a couple of weeks, so far practice runs look OK, but we'll see when I get to the real thing.

Anyone esle for Operations Research in 2011???

I applied to MIT's MS in OR, and MIT's MS in Transportation hoping that i could land the dual degree. This is the only school I applied to because, frankly, I hadn't planned on going to grad school. I was pretty sick of school by the time I finished my bachelors. However, my boss urged me to apply to the MS in Transport at MIT and told me he'd write me a letter of rec; he basically did the same as me: attended same uni for bachelors (he studied civil eng and i studied math with an emphasis in applied math), and after he did his masters and PHD at MIT. I told him I was more interested in OR, so he told me to apply for both. I'll provide my stats, but I want to emphasize I am betting on strong letter of rec.

Undergrad: AUB (4.5 yrs)

GPA: 3.78

Major: BS in Math

Minor: Physics, but it's not listed on my transcript cause I was boycotting the extremely evil administrators

GRE: 800Q/640V/5.0W

Letter of rec: PHD MIT (Transportation science)/Florida State (Civil Engineering)/Yale or one of those (Mathematics)

One pub: for the Wessex Institute of Technology (not major I guess)

After learning that only 4-6 people are excepted into the MS OR program, I pretty much decided I wouldn't be getting in to that. However, I have high hopes for the MS in Transportation, then maybe I can reapply later! Any thought/ feelings? How much do you think recommendations matter? I think one of my recommenders did some pretty serious research there.

Hi ORAnon, did you mean you got admitted to IEMS @ Northwestern?

Have you been phone-interviewd ?

Yes - was told a while back I would be either on the wait list for, or receive, a fellowship. I just heard back that I was admitted w/ funding.

Rejected by NU IEMS. So sad...

Did they send the MS Option invitation to every one who's been rejected? Just curious about the chance of being admitted to the MS to PhD Program if I reply a YES by 4.15 deadline.

Any thoughts?

May I ask what kind of question they are gonna ask? I got a interview next week with Jorge. Thanks

Yes - I was admitted to IEMS at Northwestern.

Surprisingly, they didn't interview me first. I just received an email with the admissions letter / funding info attached.

I guess I can post my profile..

Undergrad: Washington University in St. Louis

GPA: 3.9

Major: Math & Economics

GRE: 800Q/650V/5.5W

Letters of rec: I now have the impression that all three were very strong

Research: Some technical projects, but not publications.

Good luck to everyone!