Operations Research / Industrial Engineering Fall 2011

finallywon

Hello OR_Dan,

How beneficial is it to make such University visits?

To get in, I'd guess not at all. But since I'm going to the US I'd like to visit some university where I get an admit (hoping I get at least one) to get a feel of the town, the campus etc. before moving there for 5 years, which I think could be abig help in preparing for that.

Did anyone hear from Berkeley IEOR dept?

When are they supposed to inform us?

Further I was just wondering, how many admits/waitlists are done every season? (since it is a very small dept at Berk.)

Last year they sent them out thursday the second week of February. That would be today. But who knows if they kept the same schedulle.

No. I have not received anything but rejections so far. I only know people who received the email last week.

I see... I have not heard back from them either... Most likely I will get the rejection in next week. Good luck~

just got an open house invitation for "selected applicants" GA tech IEOR phd. Does this mean anything? My stats are 800/620/5, 3.3GPA, 4.0 IE coursework, research, recs from stanford phd/MIT phd in my field.

just received the campus vist invitation from Berkeley IEOR. The email said "The Department of IEOR is recommending you at the Graduate Division for admission to our program." no words on funding. I suppose I am admitted to MS/PHD program (the one I applied to). Anyone else got the same news?

just received the campus vist invitation from Berkeley IEOR. The email said "The Department of IEOR is recommending you at the Graduate Division for admission to our program." no words on funding. I suppose I am admitted to MS/PHD program (the one I applied to). Anyone else got the same news?

I got the same

wondering if its an admission decision :unsure:

Same here, no news on funding. wondering if and when they notify funding decisions.

Is there any news from UM-Ann Arbor (PhD) ?? It seems that their decision is a little bit delayed than last year...

Yeah, I got my reject yesterday. Kinda surprised they dinged me so early! wonder what turned them off so quick.

I'm guessing this means everyone who hasn't hear are on wait lists or will eventually get admits. Good luck!

MIT will probably mail out their result this week.

Someone posted an acceptance today... They probably have sent out the admissions... By the way, have you received the result from Stanford?

Someone posted an acceptance today... They probably have sent out the admissions... By the way, have you received the result from Stanford?

Where did you find that post ? I only found (and maybe this is a fiction):

Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (MIT)Mathematics, Operations Research, PhD (F11)Accepted via E-mail on 3 Feb 2011A3 Feb 2011

• Accepted for math and rejected for operations research. What a joke!

Where did you find that post ? I only found (and maybe this is a fiction):

Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (MIT)Mathematics, Operations Research, PhD (F11)Accepted via E-mail on 3 Feb 2011A3 Feb 2011

• Accepted for math and rejected for operations research. What a joke!

Whoever posted it misspelled the name of the school, thats why it's hard to find. And yet he or she got in.... very strange:

Massachusett Institute Of TechnologyOperations Research, PhD (F11)Accepted via E-mail on 22 Feb 2011I22 Feb 2011Massachusett Institute Of Technology Operations Research, PhD (F11) Accepted via E-mail on 22 Feb 2011 I 22 Feb 2011

Whoever posted it misspelled the name of the school, thats why it's hard to find. And yet he or she got in.... very strange:

Massachusett Institute Of TechnologyOperations Research, PhD (F11)Accepted via E-mail on 22 Feb 2011I22 Feb 2011Massachusett Institute Of Technology Operations Research, PhD (F11) Accepted via E-mail on 22 Feb 2011 I 22 Feb 2011

I think they would post all the results excluding those candidates on waitinglist at one time... anyway, congrats to those who made it, and bless everyone.

Hi Dan, I see that you have been admitted into Berkley IEOR, NCSU OR, would you please share your stat? such as your major, GRE, the GPA in what institution, and especially any research (publication paper) or work experience? thanks.

Edited by liao

Hi Dan, I see that you have been admitted into Berkley IEOR, NCSU OR, would you please share your stat? such as your major, GRE, the GPA in what institution, and especially any research (publication paper) or work experience? thanks.

Sure, here we go:

GRE: 800Q / 650V / 5.0AW

Undergrad and MS in IE in the top school in my country (but not known at all outside it).

GPA (as converted by WES). Undergrad: 3.8/4.0 Grad: 4.0/4.0

Research: 2 publications in proceedings, 1 submitted journal, several talks.

Three years working on OR team in Fortune 100 company. Here we have done interesting research, but publications are hard due to legal issues, I pointed that out in my SoP.

LoRs from PhDs from GaTech, NCSU and Penn State.

Good luck to all

Sure, here we go:

GRE: 800Q / 650V / 5.0AW

Undergrad and MS in IE in the top school in my country (but not known at all outside it).

GPA (as converted by WES). Undergrad: 3.8/4.0 Grad: 4.0/4.0

Research: 2 publications in proceedings, 1 submitted journal, several talks.

Three years working on OR team in Fortune 100 company. Here we have done interesting research, but publications are hard due to legal issues, I pointed that out in my SoP.

LoRs from PhDs from GaTech, NCSU and Penn State.

Good luck to all

Thanks, Dan