Anyone else hate this time right now?

Got my admit letter all squared away in early April, and now I feel like I'm just sitting here, twiddling my thumbs. I at least had my Th.M. to keep me busy, but then I graduated this past Saturday and there's nothing to do but go to work now. The Ph.D. program I'm in won't send info packets until "early June," and I'm not sure if I should be trying to doing anything before that or not. I keep having these day"dreams" of not getting a packet in June and then finding out they accepted one too many and I'm out.

Ug, this is killing me! Commmmmmme onnnnnn Junnnnnnnne!

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist

I am totally with you, although I finished school last year and have been working. I am going to look at apartments though this weekend!

I don't even know what classes are offered in the fall yet!

I am completely relishing this time right now-- hanging out with friends, going on weekend trips, staying out late-- all things that I probably won't get to do once school starts!!!

I definitely know what you mean. I was finally accepted last week and since it wasn't an official acceptance I'm now waiting on the grad admissions to send something out already! I need to apply for a TA, RA position but that's reliant on the grad admissions. What's taking so long guys?

In my incredible happiness I started to look for apartments on craigslist and find out more about the area itself. It seems to pass by the time nicely for me.

I am completely relishing this time right now-- hanging out with friends, going on weekend trips, staying out late-- all things that I probably won't get to do once school starts!!!

Totally with you on this!

I'm going to cram as much fun as I humanly can into this summer: going to the beach, camping, carnivals, outdoor movie screenings and the like with friends and family before I head off to my first East Coast winter. Trying to get a lot of face-time with my 3 year old nephew, so he'll hopefully remember me when I come back!

I'm also using the time to prepare - taking care of loose ends and laying a foundation for my future grad-school self. I've been securing my finances and credit, taking care of all outstanding warrants (ha!), cleaning out my wardrobe and paring down my possessions, giving a ton of stuff away, getting dental and medical check-ups, exercising a lot, stuff like that. Trying to become a lean, mean grad student machine.

In one word: YES!!!

I'm such a planner so just kind of sitting around is a killer!!! I want a packet! A brochure! A letter! Something, damnit!

I pass the time looking for an apartment online -- I decided that 60 days is a reasonable, i.e. not insanely OCD, amount of time -- working on an article I have a revise and resubmit on (yay!), reading and all that jazz.

Like grad_wannabe I'm trying to get squared with my parole officer (haha), pare down clothing and clean my apartment in stages.

How far in advance is every one moving? I'm looking at the end of July/first of August. Is that too creepy? I won't go hanging around the department or anything but I thought I could get settled and start figuring out my way around.

Unlike some folks my life here sucks so I don't really want to hang out here and soak up this city. LOL I WANT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to cram as much fun as I humanly can into this summer: going to the beach, camping, carnivals, outdoor movie screenings and the like with friends and family before I head off to my first East Coast winter. Trying to get a lot of face-time with my 3 year old nephew, so he'll hopefully remember me when I come back!

I'm also using the time to prepare - taking care of loose ends and laying a foundation for my future grad-school self. I've been securing my finances and credit, taking care of all outstanding warrants (ha!), cleaning out my wardrobe and paring down my possessions, giving a ton of stuff away, getting dental and medical check-ups, exercising a lot, stuff like that. Trying to become a lean, mean grad student machine.

In mid-July, when I leave my full time job, I plan to do some traveling (I am bestmanning a wedding in DC), and have some fun, but right now I just want a distraction from work..., so I can't relish yet, but August will be amazing. I am moving to a new city (New Orleans!) and will have a month to explore before school starts!

In one word: YES!!!

I'm such a planner so just kind of sitting around is a killer!!! I want a packet! A brochure! A letter! Something, damnit!

I pass the time looking for an apartment online -- I decided that 60 days is a reasonable, i.e. not insanely OCD, amount of time -- working on an article I have a revise and resubmit on (yay!), reading and all that jazz.

Like grad_wannabe I'm trying to get squared with my parole officer (haha), pare down clothing and clean my apartment in stages.

How far in advance is every one moving? I'm looking at the end of July/first of August. Is that too creepy? I won't go hanging around the department or anything but I thought I could get settled and start figuring out my way around.

Unlike some folks my life here sucks so I don't really want to hang out here and soak up this city. LOL I WANT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing wrong with enjoying Atlanta in August -- cool.gif

Nothing wrong with enjoying Atlanta in August -- cool.gif

That is my way of thinking! I figure if I'm going to be OCD and broke either way I may as well be in Atlanta. I just signed a lease today for mid-July. :) Just having a date of arrival has made me all warm and fuzzy.

And O/T: You cannot be the oldlady; I'M the oldlady! LOL

I love this, it made me laugh....and I realized I need to go to the dentist too.

I don't know. I've got homework assignments for next semester already, and need to buy my first graduate course reader tomorrow...aaaaaah!

Suddenly, this is all real!

But it feels good. :)

It would; definitely be creepier if you were moving to a small college town, but I think you can blend in in Atlanta. ;)

We are packing up at the very end of June, dumping belongings into a storage unit and then going camping for the month of July. We will move in the first week of August.

COngrats on finding a place coya!

It would; definitely be creepier if you were moving to a small college town, but I think you can blend in in Atlanta. ;)

We are packing up at the very end of June, dumping belongings into a storage unit and then going camping for the month of July. We will move in the first week of August.

COngrats on finding a place coya!

Thanks captiv8ed! I ended up going for ease. I'm sure I could have found something cheaper but it's hard doing it online. So, I went with a complex within walking distance of campus with the intent to look for something more long term once I'm there six months or so.

And I envy you for moving with a built-in support system! So awesome that this is an adventure for the whole team.

And I have had minor nightmares about running into my advisor while I'm shopping for cucumbers and her being all, "um, what are you doing here?" LOL I already think my excitement freaks her out a bit. Every time we have talked I've mentioned some article or something I read and it seems to throw her off. I'm not a gunner; I'm just very, very, very excited!

I'm enjoying it while it last. Go out whenever I want. Hanging out with friends, staying out late, clubbing, etc. the kind of things that I probably wouldn't be able to do as freely once I became a grad student.

Coyabean, Atlanta in August is freaking HOT. Be prepared, haha. Other than the ridiculous weather in the Summer, though, Atlanta is a great city and with all its upward momentum these days it's only going to get even better while you're here. I'm sad to be leaving it (and leaving big city life in general)... Midtown is the coolest part of the city in my opinion (it also just happens to be the part that has my alma mater, Georgia Tech) -- get to know it well :)

This time is the best, I think. All the pros of being able to say "yeah, I'll be going to grad school at X University next year" without the con of having to work. I will have one month off this summer, during which I plan to spend every moment drunk.

I can relate to just about every word of this, except during the only month (May) that I have completely off I'll be in my shitty hometown (45 miles outside Atlanta) being bored. Hopefully I'll be able to come up to Atlanta a lot and go out regardless (I'm moving out of my apartment today or tomorrow, but I'll have two friends living here still and there's lots of couch space :P ).

From the start of June until less than a week before starting grad school I'll be in awesome Munich doing an awesome research internship in my planned field for grad school. So excited.

Coyabean, Atlanta in August is freaking HOT. Be prepared, haha. Other than the ridiculous weather in the Summer, though, Atlanta is a great city and with all its upward momentum these days it's only going to get even better while you're here. I'm sad to be leaving it (and leaving big city life in general)... Midtown is the coolest part of the city in my opinion (it also just happens to be the part that has my alma mater, Georgia Tech) -- get to know it well smile.gif

And O/T: You cannot be the oldlady; I'M the oldlady! LOL

And I have had minor nightmares about running into my advisor while I'm shopping for cucumbers and her being all, "um, what are you doing here?" LOL I already think my excitement freaks her out a bit. Every time we have talked I've mentioned some article or something I read and it seems to throw her off. I'm not a gunner; I'm just very, very, very excited!

So, as far as I know, the only old lady on gradcafe older than I was waytooold, and she's no longer with us huh.gif -- not dead, just no longer on gradcafe laugh.gif ! And I can't speak for the young'uns, but I think the (ahem) more mature students are often people of the scariest kind of enthusiasm (I speak from self-awareness, of course) because we are SO THRILLED to be going back to school! (I've already apologized to my department's grad student coordinator for behaving like an overeager puppy!)

Coyabean, Atlanta in August is freaking HOT. Be prepared, haha. Other than the ridiculous weather in the Summer, though, Atlanta is a great city and with all its upward momentum these days it's only going to get even better while you're here. I'm sad to be leaving it (and leaving big city life in general)... Midtown is the coolest part of the city in my opinion (it also just happens to be the part that has my alma mater, Georgia Tech) -- get to know it well :)

You guys must have come from up north or out west. I was raised in the Carolina heat. :D Some of that time even happened BEFORE central A/C. I'm talking oscillating fan in August. I'm a soldier!

I looked at several apartments in midtown. I'm very excited to go exploring. Any suggestions?

And just be glad your not moving to New Orleans. Atlanta is hot, but move to a muggy coastal city, and you will understand a new meaning of southern heat agonyPosted Image !

Riotbeard, you have an excellent point. I have been a lot of places in my time but I have NEVER been as hot as I was in New Orleans. I'm not even sure hot covers it. You could drink the air. Is that hot or something else? Like Hades, perhaps? And then there was decidedly rankness to that drinkable air. *shiver* Love NO but I don't think I could manage it four months out of the year.

In mid-July, when I leave my full time job, I plan to do some traveling (I am bestmanning a wedding in DC), and have some fun, but right now I just want a distraction from work..., so I can't relish yet, but August will be amazing. I am moving to a new city (New Orleans!) and will have a month to explore before school starts!

And I just noticed that you'll be studying southern history! You could not be in a better city or at a better school to do it! So fascinating. There's a rumor that they are starting a center on southern education at Emory and I can only hope so. It's a unique history with a unique set of circumstances and people; most of which is yet unexplored. You're gonna have a ball!

You guys must have come from up north or out west. I was raised in the Carolina heat. biggrin.gif Some of that time even happened BEFORE central A/C. I'm talking oscillating fan in August. I'm a soldier!

I looked at several apartments in midtown. I'm very excited to go exploring. Any suggestions?

Riotbeard, you have an excellent point. I have been a lot of places in my time but I have NEVER been as hot as I was in New Orleans. I'm not even sure hot covers it. You could drink the air. Is that hot or something else? Like Hades, perhaps? And then there was decidedly rankness to that drinkable air. *shiver* Love NO but I don't think I could manage it four months out of the year.

I went to undergraduate in Charleston, South Carolina, so New Orleans will hopefully be just a return to Normal (there is a debate on which is worse though). In charleston, after a ten minute bike ride, one shower is required. It's definately a 3 shower a day type of place, but you get used to the heat. I also grew up in Alabama (eek!), and nothing prepared me for Charleston, but I think I am ready for New Orleans. That may be cockiness though.

And I just noticed that you'll be studying southern history! You could not be in a better city or at a better school to do it! So fascinating. There's a rumor that they are starting a center on southern education at Emory and I can only hope so. It's a unique history with a unique set of circumstances and people; most of which is yet unexplored. You're gonna have a ball!

I didn't apply to emory for reasons of sub-sub topic fit, but it is a great place to study Southern history in general from what I hear. I almost applied to their African American Studies program, but decided not to. I love/hate the South, and if it were up to me, which I know it's not, I would never leave, but I hate the city I grew up in (Birmingham), so off to New Orleans. Southern Ivy's unite! (ok that was nerdy, and only discusses an unofficial group of schools...) UNC and South Carolina have great Southern Studies Centers too. That's the nice thing, is at worst my research locations are only a 14~ hour drive. As an undergrad, I did a lot of Georgia history too.

I didn't apply to emory for reasons of sub-sub topic fit, but it is a great place to study Southern history in general from what I hear. I almost applied to their African American Studies program, but decided not to. I love/hate the South, and if it were up to me, which I know it's not, I would never leave, but I hate the city I grew up in (Birmingham), so off to New Orleans. Southern Ivy's unite! (ok that was nerdy, and only discusses an unofficial group of schools...) UNC and South Carolina have great Southern Studies Centers too. That's the nice thing, is at worst my research locations are only a 14~ hour drive. As an undergrad, I did a lot of Georgia history too.

Ditto for me on the love/hate and the drive for research. I love the South. It is so much a part of who and what I am but then being that familiar with it means you know what there is to hate about it, too! But some time in Chicago and NY (where I was actually born but don't tell anybody) always has me craving to come back home.

I can kinda see hating B'ham though. LOL

My sub- sub-topic is also very regionally focused, without me ever really thinking of that until lately. But you can't talk about about my topic without talking about HBCUs and they are overwhelmingly attached to the South. My advisor is from NO and does a lot of work there so I imagine I'll be making that trip with her eventually. Not to mention all of the history with HBCUs in the area and the post-Katrina response, etc.

I've talked with Allen Tullos at Emory a great deal. I think he also has a lot of NO ties. Several people in my department do, actually. So, yeah, I'm sure I'll be making that drive. :)

It ok. Your secret is safe with me. I was born in DC (and before I was born my parents lived in NYC and Boston), and didn't move to Alabama till I was seven. I exclaimed, are we moving to a farm??? As it turned out, there is non-agriculture related realestate and cities in the South. On a side note, it would have been very strange for my dad to take up farming seeing as he is a banker.